Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

G19 - STUCK

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kkp
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 1374

    Tagged...

    Comment

    • TrailerparkTrash
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 4249

      Well, here's my update. There's a newer thread about the g17/19 mags that I already posted about a test I did. In summary, I had zero failures with those Glock factory 10-round 2183 magazines.

      So toady, I tried the rest of those 10-rounders I have for my G19. I have a total of 12 10-rounders that I plan on giving my daughter one day with her G19. I loaded up all the mags today and didn't have any issues. NONE, ZILCH, NADDA! I even had my 13 year old son shoot up at least 10 or so loaded magazines with the HP's and the 2183 followers, thinking he may limp wrist the guns and get them to fail. NOPE, NOT ONE FAILURE!!!! (Atta boy!!!! )

      So, my next test I did was to place within the magazines themselves, an empty shell casing. I used both empty brass as well as nickel empty cases I had. Guess what? 99% of the time! the gun fed the empty shell casing through normal cycling of a good (live) round, immediately fired before the empty shell casing. The only time the gun failed was when an empty case didn't go into battery, but one can't expect an empty case to reliably feed in a gun now, can we???

      Of course both my son and I did the standard "tap-n-rack" drill to clear the empty round, or the "lock-the-slide-back-drop-the-magazine-clear-the-empty-shell-casing-reload-chamber-and-BOOM" routine/drill, but the magazine followers (2183) worked great every time with a live round being chambered. This was INCLUDIMG THE LAST ROUND (10th) THE FOLLOWER FED INTO THE CHAMBER.

      Next, I tried the 2183-2 followers with the same exact tests and ammo through my G17 with the 10 rounders and I had zero issues with them as well.

      I even changed it up a bit and mixed both FMJ's with the HP's in no particular order, except to ensure the 10th round was a HP. I did this multiple times with different magazines and had no failures. We took a break and then shot more and more. Again, 100% reliability.
      Ammo used:

      -Very old Winchester 147 "rangers talons," tarnished brass case, aka: former "black talons").
      -Not so old newer Winchester 147 "rangers," nickel plated case (R9AT).

      Again, ALL 147 gr WINCHESTER "RANGER" or "TALON" types worked perfectly, 100% of the time. We shot exactly 500 rounds worth of my surplus supply.

      See photos below.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 10-05-2014, 12:47 AM.
      sigpic

      It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

      -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

      Comment

      • TrailerparkTrash
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 4249

        I can't load more than one picture per post unfortunately...
        Attached Files
        sigpic

        It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

        -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

        Comment

        • TrailerparkTrash
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 4249

          Another ....
          Attached Files
          sigpic

          It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

          -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

          Comment

          • TrailerparkTrash
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 4249

            Last pic.... It should be noted that these are rounds I've stored for years for a "rainy day" (zombie apocalypse). I figure that day would never come, so it was time to blast this old ammo up at the range.

            Notice the empty case, followed by the last and/or second to last bullet on the follower itself. Again, 100% reliability with both G17 and G19 10 round mags and the dreaded 2183 followers.

            I need to add that I have ZERO modifications with my Glock 9mm's, with the exception of a plastic mag well "gap" plug installed, but that doesn't affect function of the gun. It's all OEM and factory captured plastic guide rods on my Gen 3's. I personally can't stand Gen 4's,mouth that's me.

            So, I don't know what to tell ya. I'm disturbed at Glock and empathize with those owners that are having problems with their 10 round factory mags. Maybe the narrower hollowpoint cavity of those Winchesters don't allow failures, regardless of magazine follower. Those are the only HP's I run in all of my 9's, because I've always bought them in bulk.

            So I ask, what am I doing wrong here? Why can't I get a failure??? There must be a reason why three huge LE departments (LAPD, LASD & San Bernardino Sheriff) use Winchester HP's as their ONLY exclusive duty round for 9mm....
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 10-05-2014, 12:51 AM.
            sigpic

            It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

            -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

            Comment

            • HPBrowningMK3
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2012
              • 1299

              From now on, I am only using my standard cap magazines, because I don't trust the neutered ones. I will be doing some more testing with Federal HST 147 +P tomorrow afternoon.
              sigpicNRA Life Member



              "The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

              "Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

              -- Clint Smith

              Comment

              • TrailerparkTrash
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 4249

                Oh yeah..... One more pic showing some 10-rnd mags..... Yes they have the 2183's in them. I don't think you'll be requiring me to show the followers, do you? I will if you insist however. Otherwise, just take my word on it.
                Attached Files
                sigpic

                It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

                -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

                Comment

                • diese
                  Member
                  • Feb 2014
                  • 117

                  TrailerparkTrash, thanks for your update. From my experiences, I found that the problem exists primarily with large cavity hollow points (such as HST's or Golden Sabers) catching on the lip of the magazine or the feed ramp. Smaller cavity HP's like Ranger T's seem to work more reliably.

                  Comment

                  • o-townFLA
                    Member
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 99

                    Thanks TPT for the exhaustive testing... As diese mentioned, it's mainly FTF'ing with large cavity HP's... With me switching to Critical Defense from the Gold Dots eleviated the FTF problem too

                    BUT...

                    I wouldn't have noticed this until I test fired the Gold Dots. Which for some isn't cost effective and they wouldn't have found the issue either until they fired their G19 or stumbled upon this thread or one like it... My local firearm store wasn't even aware of this issue until I brought it up with them. Since then they have been dumbfounded and helped from ordering new followers -to- filing any spurs in the magazine case...




                    :crazy:

                    Comment

                    • bigbully
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 1904

                      I finally got out to the range this weekend. I had no issues running some 115gr +p+ Gold Dots through my 3rd gen G19 mags with 9mm3 followers.

                      Comment

                      • sunrisefordrene
                        Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 443

                        This is why we should always train with our defensive ammo as well...Wou don't want to find out that your gun doesn't like a certain ammo when you really need it..

                        Comment

                        • scootle
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 2702

                          Originally posted by o-townFLA
                          Glad the thread helped.... It's definitely a concern that Glock needs to address other than the buyer finding out about the issue from the internet or worse yet when it's needed...
                          Originally posted by o-townFLA
                          I wouldn't have noticed this until I test fired the Gold Dots. Which for some isn't cost effective and they wouldn't have found the issue either until they fired their G19 or stumbled upon this thread or one like it...
                          truth. my "go-to"pistols are my M&P's, but this kind of problem with a Gen3 Glock 19, of all pistols, is a little surprising... glad I ran into this thread. My G3 G19 was supposed to be the SHTF don't-worry-about-a-thing backup to have if everything else fails... lol?

                          Turns out all my 10-rounders are 2183-1 followers, but I do have access to a couple of 9mm-6 followers that I will definitely try to test with my batch of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP.

                          The two 10-round magazines (2183-1 follower) that I run with the JHP ammo pre-loaded hand-cycle just fine, but I will definitely run it on the range some more to be sure.

                          If Glock is providing spare parts without question, I will definitely contact them for enough to retrofit the six 10-round mags that I own, at the very least.

                          Originally posted by sunrisefordrene
                          This is why we should always train with our defensive ammo as well...Wou don't want to find out that your gun doesn't like a certain ammo when you really need it..
                          Ideally, yes... but that gets cost-prohibitive in a hurry!
                          Last edited by scootle; 11-09-2014, 10:42 PM.
                          SCC CCW *326 Days, $1051.29*
                          Application: 2/27/2023 ($72.33)
                          Original Interview: 12/21@1030|Actual: 4/13@0900
                          'Informal" email Background complete: 9/19
                          Email to schedule Psych: 10/27@1539 ($150)
                          Psych Test: 11/3@0800|Psych Interview: 11/9@0900 (Dr.McKenzie)
                          LiveScan: 11/9 (UPS Store $93+$25)|Livescan cleared: CA/FBI 11/9, Firearms 11/20
                          LiveScan Email: 11/17@0842
                          Training Email: 11/29@1007|Instructor: 1/10/2024 SaberTactics ($399+40)|Docs: 1/12
                          Approval: 1/17@1346 ($264+$7.96)|Pickup: 1/19@1030

                          Comment

                          • PoorMan
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2011
                            • 793

                            Finally fired 100 rds JHP with 9mm6 followers. Had zero issues with different brands of 115, 124 and 147 grain.

                            Comment

                            • XDJYo
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 7097

                              Originally posted by PoorMan
                              Finally fired 100 rds JHP with 9mm6 followers. Had zero issues with different brands of 115, 124 and 147 grain.
                              Congratz! To confirm, did you sand the magazine or the follower?

                              Thanks!

                              Happy shooting and be safe!
                              Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                              Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                              Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                              M&P 15 (Mine)

                              Comment

                              • Brian45acp
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2014
                                • 6

                                I have been through this and gave up on the g19.

                                Here is what I found that works most reliably. If you take the g17 springs and use them in the g19 mag it will work with the 2183 follower. If you look at a g17 mag spring vs the g19 spring the last coil that sits on the base plate is reversed. I believe the g17 coil being reversed applies more pressure to the nose of the follower and prevents the nose dive issue.

                                The 9mm3 followers wont work. If you apply pressure to any of the rounds in the mag they stay tipped down and will all nose dive vs just the last one on the 2183 follower. The 9mm6 follower seems to work but certainly looks out of place and very awkward in the mag so I dont trust it.

                                Esentially I sold my g19 to a buddy old enough to have the pre ban mags and bought a CZ P-01. I kept my g17 because its fine and the g17 mags or g17 guts in a g19 mag will work in the g19.

                                I called glock and they wont own up to the issue. The response was the slide stop is not there as a slide release that glocks are meant to be sling shot from slide lock. I explained all that is doing is forcing my JHP into the chamber but not before the nose gets beat to death on the feed ramp which is causing set back issues as well. After just a few chamberings the round is so beat up its dangerous to use.

                                Glock really screwed the 10 round mags up. Nothing more then a block in the bottom of the mag was needed. Instead they add ribs inside which vary in size depending on the mag tube because longer tubes will require thicker ribs and then this means more narrow mag springs. When that screwed up the feeding they started screwing around with the followers and feed lips and it is all down hill from there.

                                Either way I am done with glock and it sucks because I consider it the best platform. I just cant deal with a company like that any more especially when they wont own up to the problem.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1