Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30-06 Reloading issue

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    LynnJr
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2013
    • 7958

    Pacrat
    The video link gets me an error 408 message and doesn't work.
    You seem to think cutting down a shellholder makes it unusable for other brass which is a giant red flag. Nobody who is serious about reloading cares about the shellholder as its only purpose is too pull the now sized brass out of the die.
    Nobody shooting for accuracy runs the die into the shellholder unless forced to do so.
    Your rifles chamber determines where the die gets screwed down to. And nobody cares about the taper or geometry. He wants his brass sized to his chamber.

    Redemption.
    I am currently unable to view your video. If your die is too deep I can get it replaced for you for free from Lee. As to your press what exactly is it that broke and yes a picture is better. If its a crossbolt which is caused by being set up to loose Lee won't replace it.
    The problem stemmed from loose handles cracking the adjusting sleeve which is not covered.
    Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
    Southwest Regional Director
    Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
    www.unlimitedrange.org
    Not a commercial business.
    URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

    Comment

    • #77
      LynnJr
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2013
      • 7958

      Redemption
      I just got your video to work. First stop using mink oil and get a can of imperial sizing die wax.
      Second I can get you a free replacement die only if the die is unaltered.
      Third neck sizing dies size any amount of your neck up to a distance of 0.345 inches.
      Fourth send me a pm and I will send you a mailing address for the die. If the die meets spec the shipping to return the die is on you.
      Fifth if the die is in tolerance I would ask that you post such.
      Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
      Southwest Regional Director
      Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
      www.unlimitedrange.org
      Not a commercial business.
      URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

      Comment

      • #78
        Redemption
        Member
        • May 2015
        • 430

        No, for a number of reasons no. Most case lubes are made out Lanolin and iso alcohol. Imperial wax is an unnecessary additional cost and no absolutely not. I am not even interested in getting into a discussion of this nature, the argument between the label lovers and the cheapos is almost entirely devoid of reason and logic, its the same stuff in a different container Ive used regular case lube and Ive used mink oil and they work the same. That is all I have to say about it.

        Ive stated several times I have not grinded or altered the die in any way. I think it is extremely clear from the video that the die can not possibly be within tolerance

        "I would be willing to wager the price of a new set of dies to the charity of your choice that there is nothing at all wrong with your die."

        Lynn, Wounded Warriors Family Support would be my charity of choice for that donation.

        As stated "was broken" I fabbed a new part for it so it is no longer broken. I posted pictures of it in this thread even.



        Originally posted by LynnJr
        Redemption
        I just got your video to work. First stop using mink oil and get a can of imperial sizing die wax.
        Second I can get you a free replacement die only if the die is unaltered.
        Third neck sizing dies size any amount of your neck up to a distance of 0.345 inches.
        Fourth send me a pm and I will send you a mailing address for the die. If the die meets spec the shipping to return the die is on you.
        Fifth if the die is in tolerance I would ask that you post such.
        Last edited by Redemption; 06-11-2015, 6:25 PM.
        Semper Fi and long live the Hornady red monster!

        Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.

        Comment

        • #79
          pacrat
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2014
          • 10285

          Originally posted by LynnJr
          Pacrat

          You seem to think cutting down a shellholder makes it unusable for other brass which is a giant red flag. Nobody who is serious about reloading cares about the shellholder as its only purpose is too pull the now sized brass out of the die.

          I have no idea why YOU would think, that I think that. Since I never said I think that. Here is what I said, which is what I still think. No mention of other brass.

          I agree that modifying a shell holder is the "simple fix" for dies that are "minimally out of spec" or a tight chamber. I have done so. Downside is that those shell holders themselves are now "out of spec" and only usable with that die for FL sizing.
          Unfortunately it was far beyond a "simple fix" of a minimally out of spec die. At the point of destruction, it became clear that nothing he did to the shell holder was "ever" going to solve the problem of the grossly too deep die.

          Nobody shooting for accuracy runs the die into the shellholder unless forced to do so.

          Agreed, but also irrelevant in the OP's case. OP's die is useless as is. And totally un-ajustable in any way.

          Your rifles chamber determines where the die gets screwed down to. And nobody cares about the taper or geometry.

          Yes, as I've stated many, many times on this forum, an individual rifle's chamber determines where to adjust a die to. In OP's instance that knowledge is irrelevant. Because his die is un-adjustable even at lowest possible setting.

          Everybody who reloads cares about "taper and geometry" whether they realize it or not. They are part of the resizing process. If a die is so deep it won't size the neck, it is also not sizing the tapered sides of the case down to the web. You are the only one that fails to acknowledge the fact. Only by shortening a too deep die. Can you allow it to size the web.



          He wants his brass sized to his chamber.
          Yeah, that was the whole point of his original post. To find out why his ammo didn't fit his gun.
          Everything I said back in post # 53 about factually proven givens, and options are still exactly the same now as then.

          I'm sure the Wounded Warriors will appreciate your donation.

          My work here is done.

          Comment

          • #80
            LynnJr
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2013
            • 7958

            Redemption.
            Send the die to P.O. Box 422 Forestville,CA 95436 and if the die is unaltered I will make a $30 donation to Wounded Warriors in the name Redemption.

            Pacrat
            As to the shellholder you have posted it is useless to any other die once modified and that shows me a lack of understanding of what it does.
            Also all 800 pieces of brass don't fit his gun so it does tell us the chamber is set short unless you think all 800 rounds came out of a group of overly long chambered guns.
            The scary part is he claims to be a machinist yet he thinks all lubricants are the same.
            Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
            Southwest Regional Director
            Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
            www.unlimitedrange.org
            Not a commercial business.
            URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

            Comment

            • #81
              Redemption
              Member
              • May 2015
              • 430

              You didnt wager that I donate the die to you and then you donate the $30. YOU wagered that You would donate $30 if the die was bad. Im not sending you my die, I do not know you man, Would you send me your die? how about your press? If I have to have reservations about your word where charities are concerned why would I send my stuff to some seemingly innocuous PO box.

              Let me be clear because I have been respectful until this point Lynn I am a grown man and I am not particularly interested if you believe weather or not I am a machinist, I really am not interested. When shown wrong about this you proceeded to tell me what lube to buy despite the fact that this conversation has nothing to do with that, I made my wishes very clear on the point of lube and conversations concerning it, and you respond by calling into question my knowledge and my certifications? I dont feel the need to teach you how to read ingredients labels, please respect my wishes not to discuss the drawn out, strung along conversations about case lube.

              Originally posted by LynnJr
              Redemption.
              Send the die to P.O. Box 422 Forestville,CA 95436 and if the die is unaltered I will make a $30 donation to Wounded Warriors in the name Redemption.

              Pacrat
              As to the shellholder you have posted it is useless to any other die once modified and that shows me a lack of understanding of what it does.
              Also all 800 pieces of brass don't fit his gun so it does tell us the chamber is set short unless you think all 800 rounds came out of a group of overly long chambered guns.
              The scary part is he claims to be a machinist yet he thinks all lubricants are the same.
              Last edited by Redemption; 06-11-2015, 8:54 PM.
              Semper Fi and long live the Hornady red monster!

              Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.

              Comment

              • #82
                LynnJr
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2013
                • 7958

                Redemption
                I don't want you to take this the wrong way but the deal was when it was PROVEN bad and so far that hasn't been done. I did appreciate the video but you want me to believe you adjusted it correctly yet we didn't see that in the video.
                What I did see was a young guy using mink oil who doesn't know if he has a full length die or a neck die yet he claims to be a machinist so a big red flag went up.
                The deal with sending me the die was to get you a free die to replace your so called defective die plus the donation. I was being generous because I don't feel the die is at fault and still don't.
                You already called Lee and they told you no dice. If I call you would get a new die IF it was unaltered which at this point I doubt. At this point I will donate $30 to Wounded Warriors despite the fact you have proven nothing other than you can't read a die.
                I will post the money order picture here as proof even though I have no proof the die is defective. For all I know its a 270 die or a Gibbs die and that is most likely why Lee told you to move on.
                Since you don't want me to get you a new die free of charge please repair the die as per PacRats instructions and post us another video.
                I do agree with you on one point and that is I wouldn't trust me either.
                Last edited by LynnJr; 06-11-2015, 10:58 PM.
                Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                Southwest Regional Director
                Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                www.unlimitedrange.org
                Not a commercial business.
                URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                Comment

                • #83
                  Redemption
                  Member
                  • May 2015
                  • 430

                  Where do I start with this? The die already in the press when the video starts is Fordtrucks die a known good die...do you need to see me adjust the known good die? I DO however adjust MY die in FULL VIEW of the video so to say you did not see me adjust the die... not only is it in full view of the video but I am even explaining it as I do it. Did you take a nap during the video?

                  One of the main ingredients in Mink oil is Lanolin the MAIN ingredient in 75% of the case lubes on the market, it is a silly stupid argument which has neither F all to do with the die, and F all to do with my machinist certifications.

                  You want me to read the die for you too? stick a flashlight into the die on video, great I will do that but not for a free die, Im not nor was I ever looking for or asking for a handout, certainly not from someone who has more or less disrespected me while receiving respect from me that frankly your advice so far has not earned. "That is called paying it forward" Just because I am a young guy does not mean I do not know anything and frankly I do not appreciate your disrespect or your repeated hijacking of my thread to push an opinion that has been shown to be wrong.

                  I spoke to Lee about my Press, when they failed to warranty their own defective garbage I fixed it myself. You want to question if I am smart enough to cut metal too? I never spoke to them about my die. I was smart enough to read the warranty information on the web site and frankly my die does not fit into their list of what they will warranty.

                  I do however appreciate you donating. I am certain the families of my fallen brothers and sisters will appreciate it also.

                  Originally posted by LynnJr
                  Redemption
                  I don't want you to take this the wrong way but the deal was when it was PROVEN. I did appreciate the video but you want me to believe you adjusted it correctly yet we didn't see that in the video.
                  What I did see was a young guy using mink oil who doesn't know if he has a full length die or a neck die yet he claims to be a machinist.
                  The deal with sending me the die was to get you a free die to replace your so called defective die.
                  You already called Lee and they told you no dice. If I call you would get a new die IF it was unaltered. At this point I will donate $30 to Wounded Warriors despite the fact you have proven nothing other than you can't read a die.
                  I will post the money order picture here as proof even though I have no proof the die is defective. For all I know its a 270 die or a Gibbs die and that is most likely why Lee told you to move on.
                  Since you don't want me to get you a new die free of charge please repair the die as per PacRats instructions and post us another video.
                  I do agree with you on one point and that is I wouldn't trust me either.
                  Semper Fi and long live the Hornady red monster!

                  Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    Bumslie
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 5358

                    [emoji14]opcorn:
                    NRA Life Member
                    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
                    Originally posted by ivanimal
                    I love you! (some Homo)
                    Originally posted by ivanimal
                    I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
                    Originally posted by Kestryll
                    OP you are an uninformed tool.
                    Go Broncos!
                    Go Kings Go!

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      LynnJr
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 7958

                      Redemption.
                      Before you get all fired up why don't I send you $30 for the defective die as I like collecting them.
                      Once I receive the die and size some 30-06 brass with it and post what I find wrong I will then send you a proper die from Lee.
                      PS I will throw in a can of Imperial Sizing Die Wax as well.
                      Last edited by LynnJr; 06-11-2015, 11:04 PM. Reason: Add PS
                      Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                      Southwest Regional Director
                      Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                      www.unlimitedrange.org
                      Not a commercial business.
                      URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        Redemption
                        Member
                        • May 2015
                        • 430

                        Thank you for your offer but I think I will go ahead and put the numbers together on my own and decide how I will feel most comfortable proceeding

                        Originally posted by LynnJr
                        Redemption.
                        Before you get all fired up why don't I send you $30 for the defective die as I like collecting them.
                        Once I receive the die and size some 30-06 brass with it and post what I find wrong I will then send you a proper die from Lee.
                        PS I will throw in a can of Imperial Sizing Die Wax as well.
                        Semper Fi and long live the Hornady red monster!

                        Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          LynnJr
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 7958


                          I agree that modifying a shell holder is the "simple fix" for dies that are "minimally out of spec" or a tight chamber. I have done so. Downside is that those shell holders themselves are now "out of spec" and only usable with that die for FL sizing.


                          Redemption
                          I will still send the Wounded Warriors $30 but just to show you something posted earlier please read the bold print.
                          I couldn't disagree with this statement any stronger.
                          The shellholder should be able to allow a reloader to push a case 0.250 into any die. The manufacturers set them at 0.125 so the average reloader can make contact and still be safe because most reloaders don't set there dies up correctly. If they made the shellholder capable of more travel case head separations would be posted here twice a day everyday. For the reloaders who set there dies up correctly shellholder height means nothing.
                          Last edited by LynnJr; 06-11-2015, 11:38 PM.
                          Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                          Southwest Regional Director
                          Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                          www.unlimitedrange.org
                          Not a commercial business.
                          URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            Redemption
                            Member
                            • May 2015
                            • 430

                            I recall this statement and your previous responses to it. When the time comes I will proceed however I feel most comfortable.

                            Originally posted by LynnJr

                            I agree that modifying a shell holder is the "simple fix" for dies that are "minimally out of spec" or a tight chamber. I have done so. Downside is that those shell holders themselves are now "out of spec" and only usable with that die for FL sizing.


                            Redemption
                            I will still send the Wounded Warriors $30 but just to show you something posted earlier please read the bold print.
                            I couldn't disagree with this statement any stronger.
                            The shellholder should be able to allow a reloader to push a case 0.250 into any die. The manufacturers set them at 0.125 so the average reloader can make contact and still be safe because most reloaders don't set there dies up correctly. If they made the shellholder capable of more travel case head separations would be posted here twice a day everyday.
                            Semper Fi and long live the Hornady red monster!

                            Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              JMP
                              Internet Warrior
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 17056

                              Originally posted by Redemption
                              One of the main ingredients in Mink oil is Lanolin the MAIN ingredient in 75% of the case lubes on the market, it is a silly stupid argument which has neither F all to do with the die, and F all to do with my machinist certifications.
                              What is Imperial Sizing Wax made out of? If you are sizing something more than a 223, it's pretty much the only lube on the market.

                              I suspect that the die is fine. If not, just get a hacksaw and take off the bottom part of the die; it's no biggy. It'll size fine. The very bottom of the case ain't what is going to prevent it from chambering.

                              I haven't been reading this thread, but I see a lot of back and forth. You said you have a $700 rifle. Those are generally cut with chambers so long and sloppy that I doubt a die that's just a hair long would not work.

                              You get what you pay for. It's a $10 die. Go get yourself some Redding Competition dies and Impeial case wax and you'll be in business. Get that and don't look back, forget the rest.

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                Redemption
                                Member
                                • May 2015
                                • 430

                                Well my rifle is not cut "long and sloppy" Not really sure how to respond to that other than to say that you must have never fired an M16A2 at 500m with iron sights, and expected to hit anything reliably. However I digress, I am sorry to say but it was actually the die. I did a side by side with a known good die against my die and the brass out of the known good die chambers fine while the brass out of my die is overly tight to lock the bolt down.The video that shows this is on the previous page via YT. The back and forth is a difference of opinion from someone who must have lived a charmed reloading life and never ran into a bad die but supposedly collects them.

                                As stated prior Im not really interested in Imperial case wax, not interested in that debate and wasnt asking for advice on the lube subject, What I am using now sizes with no difficulty on a good die, I think on a matter of principal I will never buy or use that stuff ever, period end of story.

                                As for Redding Ill look into it, I have plenty of good Lee dies I am not a table top shooter and I am not looking to make 2000m shots in near lab conditions. I wouldnt consider something on the order of 0.015 to be just a hair long by chambering standards.... more to the effect of 3 hairs too long and in chambering that is MILES. I do agree with you that it would be fine to shorten the die.

                                Originally posted by JMP
                                What is Imperial Sizing Wax made out of? If you are sizing something more than a 223, it's pretty much the only lube on the market.

                                I suspect that the die is fine. If not, just get a hacksaw and take off the bottom part of the die; it's no biggy. It'll size fine. The very bottom of the case ain't what is going to prevent it from chambering.

                                I haven't been reading this thread, but I see a lot of back and forth. You said you have a $700 rifle. Those are generally cut with chambers so long and sloppy that I doubt a die that's just a hair long would not work.

                                You get what you pay for. It's a $10 die. Go get yourself some Redding Competition dies and Impeial case wax and you'll be in business. Get that and don't look back, forget the rest.
                                It was clearly a mistake to ask for help on a specific aspect of something and expect that people would stick to that without trying to argue that unrelated aspects are competing factors or that they would also be respectful. I very nearly regret it. The shining beacon in this situation which is well settled in my mind, is that Ive had an opportunity to get to know Fordtrucks and pacrat much better. Thank you to those of you who remained on topic and respectful for the duration of this issue.
                                Semper Fi and long live the Hornady red monster!

                                Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1