Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Open carry at Newport Beach-Update

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    Patrick-2
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 600

    Originally posted by choprzrul
    Maybe I am completely off base here, but I had been thinking that between Heller and McDonald, it had been established by SCOTUS that the right to KEEP and BEAR arms was a fundamental civil right that is incorporated against the individual states.
    In the home is all that was recognized.

    We have strong suspicion and dicta to suggest some level of the right also exists beyond your doorstep. Some courts have come close, but so far no cigar.

    Don't over read these threads about these lawsuits. We got nothing to hang our hat on, yet.

    Just know this going in.

    And to answer another post: just because a law says you can do something does not make it a right. Confusing that sullies the meaning of the word "right" in American history.

    I don't think anyone means harm or is intentionally trying to make confusion, but in the case of people considering UOC in unfriendly areas it is exceptionally important they understand all the nuances. Because nuance is all they have to argue with, and nuance will get them trouble, high legal fees, loss of a job and potential convictions.

    This is an expert game that offers near zero chance of winning, the way it is currently being played. Sorry. I am all for OC everywhere, but not yet.
    ------
    Some Guy In Maryland

    Comment

    • #77
      loose_electron
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 784

      Bad idea. No qualifiers.

      What is the image that gets projected to the public here?

      "Just another cowboy style gun nut, doing crazy things."

      If you want to do something constructive, promote firearms safety or teaching safe firearms handling to kids or something that promotes a better understanding that firearms can be handled safely, and used to help make it a safer world.

      If you get dumped on the ground, and cuffed, that's a memory that your kids get to live with for the rest of their lives.
      "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." - Benjamin Franklin
      "The answers to life's biggest questions are not found on Google." Author Unknown
      San Diego CA - Sig Sauer P226 9mm & Mosquito, Bersa Thunder, Ruger LCR & LCP, S&W 22A, SA 1911 9mm, Beretta 92SF 9mm, Marlin 60

      Comment

      • #78
        jpigeon
        Senior Member
        CGN Contributor
        • Apr 2010
        • 1049

        Originally posted by loose_electron
        Bad idea. No qualifiers.

        What is the image that gets projected to the public here?

        "Just another cowboy style gun nut, doing crazy things."

        If you want to do something constructive, promote firearms safety or teaching safe firearms handling to kids or something that promotes a better understanding that firearms can be handled safely, and used to help make it a safer world.

        If you get dumped on the ground, and cuffed, that's a memory that your kids get to live with for the rest of their lives.
        Sounds educational for the kids. They get to learn how the cops treat law abiding-taxpaying-American citizens that wish to exercise a currently legal right. Tired of all these wussie remarks from everyone. I'm pretty sure this was all said when UOC was first mentioned here. "Oh dont do it the cops will point a gun at u and put u in handcuffs wah wah." So what. I dont know about all u guys but that is not gonna make me turn into a little @&^%$. If they violate me then I'll take it to court and will thank them for the nice settlement.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

        Comment

        • #79
          Low-Pressure
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 1758

          Originally posted by jpigeon
          I am thinking about UOCing at the Newport beach pier after the gun show this weekend for lunch. Checked google earth and there are not any schools nearby. I am a greenhorn when it comes to UOC. Are there any restrictions in the area I should know about?? I plan to make some copies of the OC sheriff's UOC memo in case I run into some trouble. Any advice is greatly appreciated. PM me if you would like to join. I will be with my kids so no cussing and drugs
          Originally posted by jpigeon
          Sounds educational for the kids. They get to learn how the cops treat law abiding-taxpaying-American citizens that wish to exercise a currently legal right. Tired of all these wussie remarks from everyone. I'm pretty sure this was all said when UOC was first mentioned here. "Oh dont do it the cops will point a gun at u and put u in handcuffs wah wah." So what. I dont know about all u guys but that is not gonna make me turn into a little @&^%$. If they violate me then I'll take it to court and will thank them for the nice settlement.
          Looks like you already set your mind into doing it, I don't know why you ask for opinions here and then call people names......
          Just do it and post back what happens......
          ...with liberty and justice for all. Void where prohibited, offer not valid everywhere, price may change. See Big Brother for details.
          Originally posted by zfields
          9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
          Originally posted by bwiese
          Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
          If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
          http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957

          Comment

          • #80
            Packy14
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2008
            • 5312

            just go do it and stop posting on calguns while you're at it..you make us all look bad with your stupidity.
            NRA Lifetime Member

            1A-2A = -1A

            Comment

            • #81
              jpigeon
              Senior Member
              CGN Contributor
              • Apr 2010
              • 1049

              Originally posted by kenshinoro2007
              just go do it and stop posting on calguns while you're at it..you make us all look bad with your stupidity.
              It's called sarcasm. Most of the people here have the capability of recognizing it.
              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

              Comment

              • #82
                N6ATF
                Banned
                • Jul 2007
                • 8383

                Originally posted by loose_electron
                If you get dumped on the ground, and cuffed, that's a memory that your kids get to live with for the rest of their lives.
                Good. The State is not any child's friend.
                Last edited by N6ATF; 01-26-2011, 10:04 PM.

                Comment

                • #83
                  Twystd1
                  Superfluous
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 2692

                  I live in Newport. I know that area very well. There was/is a small private school that I would guess is about a 1000 feet away across the Blvd. I would break out a tape measure before trying this particular Open display. It's in the buildings to the right of the Crab Cooker.
                  And as much as I admire you for thinking of doing this. And I truly believe it is your right to do this.

                  The odds of you getting arrested are pretty dam high at the pier. The least that will happen is that you will get on the FUGH YOU list that the Newport Beach PD keeps for undesirables. This may be a very expensive lesson in which you may very well win in the end. If you can afford the game that may ensue.

                  I think it might be better to try Main street Huntington Beach or Disneyland than the Newport Beach pier.
                  Then again. It might work out Ok.

                  I support you in achieving a good result for yourself as well as the gun community at large. Cause thats what it is all about. Do what you have to do.

                  Cheers,
                  All I can tell you is this.
                  DON'T DO IT ALONE.

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    jpigeon
                    Senior Member
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 1049

                    Originally posted by Twystd1
                    I live in Newport. I know that area very well. There was/is a small private school that I would guess is about a 1000 feet away across the Blvd. I would break out a tape measure before trying this particular Open display. It's in the buildings to the right of the Crab Cooker.
                    And as much as I admire you for thinking of doing this. And I truly believe it is your right to do this.

                    The odds of you getting arrested are pretty dam high at the pier. The least that will happen is that you will get on the FUGH YOU list that the Newport Beach PD keeps for undesirables. This may be a very expensive lesson in which you may very well win in the end. If you can afford the game that may ensue.

                    I think it might be better to try Main street Huntington Beach or Disneyland than the Newport Beach pier.
                    Then again. It might work out Ok.

                    I support you in achieving a good result for yourself as well as the gun community at large. Cause thats what it is all about. Do what you have to do.

                    Cheers,
                    All I can tell you is this.
                    DON'T DO IT ALONE.
                    Thanks bro. Its not set in stone just came to mind since I was gonna be in the area for the GS. Gonna call the PD and get their feed back and will update thread manana. Good night CGers.
                    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      AndrewMendez
                      C3 Leader
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 6782

                      Damn I can't stand this bull ****.
                      OP, as I stated prior, I do not recommend UOC at this time...however, if your going to do this, PM me. If I am available, I will be down there with my camera to record a law abiding citizen, minding his own business, while exercising his 2nd Amendment right!
                      Need A Realtor in SoCal? Shoot me a PM. :cool:

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        PutTogether
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 2370

                        I'm going to second what everyone else said about the schools. I lived on the peninsula too, and there is a private school across the street from the pier, and a public school on the ocean side of the street just a tiny bit south.

                        I would measure those distances very, very, very carefully.

                        I'm also not sure anyone mentioned it, but be aware that newport fire/lifeguard station is right at the base of the pier, and there are ALWAYS several police vehicles there as well. (I was never quite sure if it was officially a police station as well.) You absolutely WILL have police contact.

                        Good luck.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          QQQ
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 2243

                          Was just there on Monday. There is indeed a small school on the boardwalk just south of the pier. I haven't measured the distances, though. I'd be willing to come with a video camera if it fits with my schedule.

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            goldrush
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 366

                            Originally posted by wash

                            It would be great if every PD in California understood that UOC is legal
                            They all know it's legal. There are no consequences for pretending it's not.

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              wash
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2007
                              • 9011

                              Originally posted by jpigeon
                              Tired of all these wussie remarks from everyone. I'm pretty sure this was all said when UOC was first mentioned here. "Oh dont do it the cops will point a gun at u and put u in handcuffs wah wah." So what. I dont know about all u guys but that is not gonna make me turn into a little @&^%$. If they violate me then I'll take it to court and will thank them for the nice settlement.
                              Why do you even need a gun, you're Chuck Norris, right...

                              My wuss comments are because I don't want anyone to add fuel to the fire that is going to get UOC banned.

                              And for the poster above, thanks for butchering my quote. Here is what I actually said:

                              It would be great if every PD in California understood that UOC is legal and e-checks should be brief and polite but then there is reality.
                              Last edited by wash; 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by oaklander
                              Dear Kevin,

                              You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
                              Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                goldrush
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2009
                                • 366

                                Originally posted by wash
                                My wuss comments are because I don't want anyone to add fuel to the fire that is going to get UOC banned.
                                If you don't UOC for rightful fear of being put on the ground, having a gun pulled on you, being disarmed and your gun checked, UOC is already banned.

                                As for "butchering" your quote, your proposition contained two conjuncts. Either may be stated as true, independent of the other. Logically speaking, nothing was butchered.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1