The issue with IED's is they are hardly ever reported in the media. Actually, 90%+ of incidents are not reported.
Back when I worked for the Man I trained with a certain EOD unit out in Ca wine country that has tshirts with their logo being a wine bottle with a fuse coming out of it. I was privy to IED related incidents in the bay area counties. Only about 10% of IED related stuff makes it to the news. Most are dry ice bombs but there were a lot of pipe bombs and other serious stuff.
The explosives the EOD teams mostly use are crazy powerful. I used to make binary explosives that held 1-2 OZ of liguid with a detonator. We put it in duffel bags with apples from the trees on the training grounds. about 75 feet of det cord was needed to keep the apple juice from hitting us and the shock wave was surprising.
I'm not liking the idea that they used explosives to stop the threat. Without being there I have to give them the benefit of the doubt but I would question if they knew 100% that there were no hostages or bad guys watching but not shooting. We are taught that if we shoot at a threat and the threat stops the attack we cannot continue to shoot or else it is murder. If the bomb detonated and the sniper was not engaging targets I would consider that murder but that is just my opinion and how I was taught I would be tried in court if I shot someone that was not attacking me or stopped attacking me. There are all kinds of judgments where the angle of a bullet wound determined justified shot or murder. How do oyu determine that with a robot that has limited camera view?
Back when I worked for the Man I trained with a certain EOD unit out in Ca wine country that has tshirts with their logo being a wine bottle with a fuse coming out of it. I was privy to IED related incidents in the bay area counties. Only about 10% of IED related stuff makes it to the news. Most are dry ice bombs but there were a lot of pipe bombs and other serious stuff.
The explosives the EOD teams mostly use are crazy powerful. I used to make binary explosives that held 1-2 OZ of liguid with a detonator. We put it in duffel bags with apples from the trees on the training grounds. about 75 feet of det cord was needed to keep the apple juice from hitting us and the shock wave was surprising.
I'm not liking the idea that they used explosives to stop the threat. Without being there I have to give them the benefit of the doubt but I would question if they knew 100% that there were no hostages or bad guys watching but not shooting. We are taught that if we shoot at a threat and the threat stops the attack we cannot continue to shoot or else it is murder. If the bomb detonated and the sniper was not engaging targets I would consider that murder but that is just my opinion and how I was taught I would be tried in court if I shot someone that was not attacking me or stopped attacking me. There are all kinds of judgments where the angle of a bullet wound determined justified shot or murder. How do oyu determine that with a robot that has limited camera view?


Comment