Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Getting into some lite target shooting in 308, help pick gun!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    bellwilliam
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 1947

    op is asking for mid distance (200-600), isn't some of you guy's recommendation overkill ?

    don't any of low end rifle ($250 783, or $350 Ruger American) more than capable of this distance ?

    I am scared of asking question here. it seems for any distance, minimum is a 700 5r rifle with ~$1,000 scope....

    Comment

    • #32
      bsumoba
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2012
      • 4217

      Originally posted by rd2play
      Easy to figure it out. Go out and shoot. I don't claim to be a great shot, but I know I hit the steel target at 1500. Not every shot, but some. As I said, maybe luck.
      Even with a 175gr SMK going 2650 fps, it is still going about 900 fps @ 1500 yards. So the short answer is yes, he can probably hit the target. Whether or not it is consistent is a different story. A 10 MPH crosswind would mean a 125 inch or 8 minute correction for wind

      Me personally, I wouldn't want to waste bullets on trying to hit a target that far with a 308. That is what my 6.5 creedmoor, 284 or 338 edge is for. I'll pick my poison.

      Originally posted by bellwilliam
      op is asking for mid distance (200-600), isn't some of you guy's recommendation overkill ?

      don't any of low end rifle ($250 783, or $350 Ruger American) more than capable of this distance ?

      I am scared of asking question here. it seems for any distance, minimum is a 700 5r rifle with ~$1,000 scope....
      The 700 5R rifle is sort of a factory level buy once, cry once rifle. If you do not have the money to spend on a custom rig, the is one of the best options for the money and quality in a factory gun.

      Certainly, there are much cheaper choices. You can go with a standard 700 and yank the trigger out and put a jewell, and use a 200-300 dollar 3-9 or 4-16 variable scope and it might shoot consistent MOA out to 300 with handloads or a factory load that shoots lights out in it.
      Visit- www.barrelcool.com
      The Original Chamber Flag and Barrel Cooler in 1
      Instagram: barrelcool_

      Comment

      • #33
        nedro
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2014
        • 4130

        Originally posted by bellwilliam
        op is asking for mid distance (200-600), isn't some of you guy's recommendation overkill ?

        don't any of low end rifle ($250 783, or $350 Ruger American) more than capable of this distance ?

        I am scared of asking question here. it seems for any distance, minimum is a 700 5r rifle with ~$1,000 scope....
        I got a 700 SPS Varmint 26" and put a 6-26 x 40 scope on it for under 1K and am very happy with it.

        Comment

        • #34
          JMP
          Internet Warrior
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Feb 2012
          • 17056

          Originally posted by rd2play
          The rifle is stock, no chambering. Impressive, or rather lucky Obviously, at that range you are at the mercy of the wind, but with good wind it's doable... I used the Berger 185 Juggernaut with 47 grain of Power Pro 2000-MR. I could go a little higher than 47, but I haven't tried it yet.
          You are doing it in a 308, right? Not a 300WSM, correct? Like I said before, that's impressive shooting. I've never been able to get a 308 to that type of distance without complete destabilization. But, I haven't used the 185gr Juggernaut with that size of charge. It may be in my future now that I am retuning my 308 with the small primer Lapua brass that can handle more pressure without losing the primer pocket, and I am trying out some better bullets.

          With what I hope to get out of my new loads, JBM says I'll need just over 18 mils and I'll still be at 1,030fps. It's a bit optimistic, but it might be doable. I just have too much issues with stability and wind to make consistent hits with the 308. My 308, though, is due for a new barrel so I want that before I seriously work up the load.

          While many may disagree, I think that stepping up to a medium sized cartridge, the Lapua magnum family is the right choice for 1,500 yards. That's what I reach for to have a good chance at hitting the target. The problem with the small cartridges is that they are too hard to spot at that range unless you are shooting against a good backdrop that splashes well.

          Originally posted by bellwilliam
          I am scared of asking question here. it seems for any distance, minimum is a 700 5r rifle with ~$1,000 scope....
          Yes, I concur as that's an excellent way to start if you are budget minded and want to get something with a proven track record of working.

          Comment

          • #35
            bellwilliam
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 1947

            everything I read on internet (so it must be true !!) say a $380 Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoore will shoot out to 1,000 yards with a good scope (and may be a $110 Boyd stock). true ?

            Comment

            • #36
            • #37
              JMP
              Internet Warrior
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Feb 2012
              • 17056

              Originally posted by bellwilliam
              everything I read on internet (so it must be true !!) say a $380 Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoore will shoot out to 1,000 yards with a good scope (and may be a $110 Boyd stock). true ?
              No, you didn't read the OP; here's what he wants.

              Originally posted by uaheclipse24
              However, what I do not have is a sniper 308 rifle.
              I can't imagine that there are snipers using Ruger Americans. The real sniper rifles ain't cheap.

              Comment

              • #38
                toby
                Banned
                • Jan 2010
                • 10576

                The stock is a plastic POS and the scope is very low grade but the rifle itself has great potential, The Vanguard varminter RC would be a GREAT candidate! with no upgrades needed except to add an optic and the same price.

                Comment

                • #39
                  AtlasFired
                  Junior Member
                  • Aug 2015
                  • 6

                  Originally posted by toby
                  The stock is a plastic POS and the scope is very low grade but the rifle itself has great potential, The Vanguard varminter RC would be a GREAT candidate! with no upgrades needed except to add an optic and the same price.
                  Good to know. I don't have any experience at all with rifles but I've been checking out Weatherby. What about the Mark V Deluxe or Mark V Accumark RC. Any POS parts there? http://www.weatherby.com/products/ri...-v-deluxe.html

                  Comment

                  • #40
                    toby
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 10576

                    Originally posted by AtlasFired
                    Good to know. I don't have any experience at all with rifles but I've been checking out Weatherby. What about the Mark V Deluxe or Mark V Accumark RC. Any POS parts there? http://www.weatherby.com/products/ri...-v-deluxe.html
                    You can get the Vanguards with B&C stock, Walnut stocks or the Disposable plastic stocks.

                    The Mark V's comes with the Walnut, B&C only The Mark V is worlds apart from the Vanguard line.
                    Nothing wrong with the Vanguards if your not up to spending $1000 + for a rifle. Just get the upgraded version or restock the cheaper. Oh the follower on the Vanguards are plastic as well. Can't help you there!

                    Comment

                    • #41
                      LynnJr
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 7958

                      Get a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308.
                      They just had a thread here and everyone was reporting great groups with factory ammo.
                      Price is around $1000 and you can get that scope back from your buddy.
                      Last edited by LynnJr; 09-01-2015, 9:12 PM.
                      Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                      Southwest Regional Director
                      Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                      www.unlimitedrange.org
                      Not a commercial business.
                      URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                      Comment

                      • #42
                        Flouncer
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 1309

                        I gotta differ. Someone has to say it. You don't need $1,000 or $1,500 glass or even a $700 gun. I watched a 65 yo women whip has at Sac Valley Shooting in FT/R with IRON sights at 1,000 yards. Over the scope boys. With a .308. I had one X-ring hit at the match at 1,000 yards with my $99 Tasco. Lee die hand loads 1912 receiver. Blowing all that $$ will not make you a better shooter, or be more rewarding.

                        Hand Load

                        Practice

                        Meet, watch, listen, learn.

                        Enjoy.

                        You are asking the wrong question to the wrong people in the wrong place.

                        You didn't say you want to compete and win but have fun and learn. Hand Load a Mosin, a Bleeping Model 98 or better yet the Remington. Swear to Gawd.
                        A Nation of Sheep Will Beget a Government of Wolves

                        Comment

                        • #43
                          LynnJr
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 7958

                          Flouncer
                          If your talking about Noma Mayo tell us what rifle she is shooting and which iron sights.
                          Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                          Southwest Regional Director
                          Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                          www.unlimitedrange.org
                          Not a commercial business.
                          URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                          Comment

                          • #44
                            JMP
                            Internet Warrior
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 17056

                            Originally posted by LynnJr
                            Flouncer
                            If your talking about Noma Mayo tell us what rifle she is shooting and which iron sights.
                            Lynn, Noma Mayo? That cannot be who is his talking about. Doesn't her sling, jacket, stock, action, barrel, and sights, etc. put her rig closer to $5,000???

                            Comment

                            • #45
                              rd2play
                              Member
                              • Jan 2012
                              • 255

                              Originally posted by JMP
                              You are doing it in a 308, right? Not a 300WSM, correct?
                              Yes, 308. The 185 definitely makes a difference. I use 175 SMK for up to 1200 yards, same charge. Beyond that, it's the 185.

                              As far as making "consistent hits", I would lie if I claimed that I achieved that. I just haven't shot enough at 1500 to make that claim. Yes, backdrop is crucial for splash. I can't tell you how many times I lugged that heavy target through the desert to move it to a better location. I was dreaming of ATV's... Best to coordinate with the spotter through walkie-talkie. Oh, and it helped that the spotter has a knack for reading wind. I'm good at it, he's excellent.

                              As you said though... I agree, it is a waste of ammo. Just something to pass time.


                              Getting back to the topic at hand... Shooting at 600 yards at Angeles with my stock Savage 10 and a $700 scope was no problem.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1