Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Getting into some lite target shooting in 308, help pick gun!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #91
    TMB 1
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2012
    • 7153

    Originally posted by JMP
    It shows us that they made a lot of effort to make the video. That is a virgin piece of steel, which seems strange that they would haul that big target out to only take 4 shots. Clearly, he had no warm up or sighters as the steel had never been hit as they would not have painted it so nicely with stencilled letters. That is probably the reason he missed the first shot since he was shooting from a cold bore.

    I find that highly impressive shooting. Imagine if he rebarreled that rifle and used excellent ammunition; he would not even be able to miss.

    Therefore, we seem to have narrowed the best economy rifle down to a Mauser or Mosin. I would have thought the Mauser is quite a bit better, but those videos show how well the Mosin Nagant shoots despite a century old barrel. The soldiers much have taken great care of their barrels.
    It looked like they were sales men for that target at the end.
    Here's you a custom Mosin
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #92
      LynnJr
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2013
      • 7958

      Yeah his original budget was $1300.
      If he changes that budget to unlimited anything is possible.
      New stock new barrel new trigger might as well go custom as his group is around 10 inches.
      As I posted earlier the new RGR will do that for under a grand.
      Last edited by LynnJr; 09-05-2015, 9:14 PM.
      Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
      Southwest Regional Director
      Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
      www.unlimitedrange.org
      Not a commercial business.
      URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

      Comment

      • #93
        TMB 1
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2012
        • 7153

        What I wonder is if a shooter like Noma would have a higher hit ratio with the stock Mosin than the guys in the video? I bet they probably would.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #94
          TMB 1
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2012
          • 7153

          Originally posted by LynnJr
          Yeah his original budget was $1300.
          If he changes that budget to unlimited anything is possible.
          New stock new barrel new trigger might as well go custom as his group is around 10 inches.
          As I posted earlier the new RGR will do that for under a grand.
          I was thinking Savage but op don't like them.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #95
            jeffrice6
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2006
            • 5173

            Haven't read all posts ~

            700 + SWFA 10x + rings & base = under budget & capable rig.
            WTB: S&W 617 4" 10 shot Pre-Lock

            Comment

            • #96
              LynnJr
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2013
              • 7958

              Originally posted by TMB 1
              What I wonder is if a shooter like Noma would have a higher hit ratio with the stock Mosin than the guys in the video? I bet they probably would.
              TMB1
              You wouldn't want to shoot against Noma in any match and yes I am sure the groups would shrink considerably in her hands.
              I will post up a couple pictures of my Mauser with a Kepplinger trigger at 4 ounces sporting a 30 inch Krieger barrel in a blue anodized barrel block notice it has a single shot adapter glued in and the recoil lug has been ground off. I didn't know when posting here you needed to prove everything you post ahead of time but I do own a very large collection of bolt action rifles of all makes and chamberings.
              When I see a poster wanting target shooting on a budget I don't try and recommend a $4000 scope and $5000 custom build.
              Likewise I don't recommend a gun that will get him there but would require a lot of attention.
              The Ruger is getting 3/4 moa for a grand and it has a good look to it so if the original poster doesn't like it he can sell it and likely not lose his money.
              With a Mosin or Mauser he would never recoupe his investment.
              With the Mosin he would also need one that would handle a heavy barrel or go with a bedding block. Not all actions are stiff enough so a bedding block eliminates this issue.
              I can come across as harsh but I have been there and done that so I don't recommend what I wouldn't use myself.
              Last edited by LynnJr; 10-13-2015, 1:15 PM.
              Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
              Southwest Regional Director
              Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
              www.unlimitedrange.org
              Not a commercial business.
              URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

              Comment

              • #97
                LowThudd
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2011
                • 3608

                Lynn. Your Barrel block fascinated me, as I haven't seen one before, so I did a search. Is it a similar system to this? http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek075.html

                I'd like to hear more about this rifle of yours.

                Comment

                • #98
                  LynnJr
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 7958

                  It is a very similar design. Mine has a saw curf on the bottom which just means is has a slot so it can pinch the barrel.
                  I use 3 jacking/tightening screws to tighten it up that come in from the side. On the bottom I have three screws that hold it into the stock. It gets bedded into the stock as well and that is the discoloration you see on the block
                  By hanging the barrel in a block you alleviate the problem of constantly needing to re-bed your stock due to the weak Mauser action flexing.
                  The block in the picture is aluminum and about 7 inches long plus it sits 1 inch in front of the receiver. This means when you add in around 0.75 for the tenon that there is only 21.25 inches of barrel past the end of the barrel block which makes the whippy 30 inch barrel think its a much stiffer 21.25 inch barrel. The entire action free floats so bedding and inletting are very easy. I ground down the lug for ease of inletting.
                  Stock was a McMillan HBR 50 caliber stock and this was used as a test bed so I didn't wear out my actual competition rifle.
                  Here are some pictures of my 2000 yard gun with tracking rails. I am having another one built as this one has the wrong twist for how we are shooting our NorCal matches.
                  Last edited by LynnJr; 10-13-2015, 1:15 PM.
                  Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                  Southwest Regional Director
                  Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                  www.unlimitedrange.org
                  Not a commercial business.
                  URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                  Comment

                  • #99
                    ar15barrels
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 57179

                    Originally posted by Merc1138
                    Ok, and he made 2 hits out of at least 4(one hit the dirt, and you can see another impact in the leg of the stand at the end of the video) on a 30" tall target. What is that supposed to show us?
                    If 2 hits out of 4 shots on a 3+ moa target, the whole group is probably around 4.5moa.
                    Typical Mosin Accuracy.
                    The video shows that the gun works.
                    Randall Rausch

                    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1