Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

M&P9 PRO & C.O.R.E Information and Question Thread!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    Dago Red
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 586

    To my knowledge there is no CA version, the 10 round magazines are out there (maybe they interchange with the standard M&P 9's that are/were on the list?) but the M&P Pro is not on the list. It doesn't try for compliance, no mag disconnect for instance. (trust me, dry fired one Saturday about 10 times.)

    That said, Falcon if you were considering the one at the Shaw and Brawley store it isn't there any more. It sold Saturday. I don't know what everybody is talking about on nice new trigger, I thought the trigger was crap, not as much creep as the XDm (and IMO XDm has better ergos), but it was gritty. I just thought it was accepted that if you bought an M&P you had to install a kit and replace the trigger. (for me personally I also thought the trigger curve was way too pronounced, maybe I have fat fingers). Also I have been shooting my 1911 so maybe it was too much to ask for a poly gun to feel good.

    No disrespect, but getting hung up on the mags is pointless, also you have it bassackwards. If you ever do want to sell it outside the USSRCa then those 17rds are going to be more desirable. drill out the rivets and they are back to normal. And Full Spectrum did a very nice job, they didn't just rivet the mags, they ground them nice and flush without messing up the magazine tube itself. great looking job.

    Out the door cost, if you didn't use a credit card, would be right at 707.35.

    In all honesty, I'm not even that hot on it. It was an impulse buy. My buddy was with me and he's the one that likes it and since they're supposedly hard to get I figured grab it while grabbing is good and I could always sell to him later if I didn't like it. Now it sounds like he is thinking a different route so I had better like it because I am probably stuck with it.

    Red

    Comment

    • #62
      falconman515
      Senior Member
      • May 2014
      • 870

      Well thanks for letting me know ... I've kept that one in the back of my head thinking "well if all else fails I can go there and buy it" LOL

      The one thing that bugged me and I hope it the trigger smoothes out for you over time but I did test your gun for about 15 minutes and dry-fired many times and yes I agree 100% that trigger was ROUGH and GRITTY as all get out!
      That bothered me a lot and part of me knew at that point I would throw maybe an APEX on whatever M&P I get.
      But that being said I got to hold a CORE and mess with it and dry fire and the trigger was Absolutely Nothing like the one at Full Spectrum ... it was smooth pulling with almost no rough gritty feeling when pulled ... so I assumed there as some good ones out the gate that don't have the grit right of the assembly line.

      I do agree next on the list for ergos is the XD Line ... But holding both the M&P was like an extension of my hand whereas the XD just felt Really Good (Glocks felt Horrible).

      Ya I know that the 10 round version is not the "CA Version" really ... just meant more it has 10rd mags over the 17rd making those ready to go out the box with no modifications.
      I know it's basically not a CA version cause it;s not on the approved list ... but they can be had via SSE which is great I just kinda wanted the 10rd mags over the modified mags.

      That being said I am close to pulling the trigger on a CORE ... and those are 17rd regardless but the FFL will ship them out of state ... so I plan on buying 2 10 rounders in store, sending the 17 rounders to my dads house in Las Vegas, Nevada and he said he would re-box them and ship to whomever I sell them to online (I will be posting a 4-sale thread for 2 17rd. M&P9 Mags in the near future). I should be able to re-coupe at least 75+% of my cost on buying the 10 round mags hopefully.

      So your reply said the 17rd mags will be more desirable? Are they harder to come by or cost more then the 10rd. mags? I'm curious as I would like to know what the going rate is for them so I can create a 4-sale thread with a competitive price.

      I wanted to bite on the Pro but I am wanting to make sure it's 100% up to date with all new internals and textured back-straps and the FFL won'g guarantee me that so I'm passing and just going all out and getting the CORE ... Why The Hell Not!!!

      I'm sure the prices of these handgun red-dots will be coming down and I will get one to try as I think shooting with the red-dot may be more fun overall then conventional iron sights.

      Anyway ... well you gotta let me know how you like it and how it shoots ... made my decision easier I think to jump on my current deal for the CORE if I decide or the Pro if someway he can verify it's a newer version knowing the PRO at FS is gone now!

      Thanks for the reply and I look forward to hearing more.

      Comment

      • #63
        falconman515
        Senior Member
        • May 2014
        • 870

        Just Purchased My M&P9 Pro C.O.R.E 5" Bad Boy Today!!! (Yes I finally just said Fuugg Ittt).



        Bought it from Local Gun Shop for $705!!!

        They will also be swapping out the 17rd mags for 10rd mags for me as well so that is nice!

        I was 100% decided on the M&P9 PRO and just thought about the CORE since it has the "Option" for an optic at a later date if ever wanted ... but when I found this deal for $705 and the Pro was $635 I said why the heck not have the option for another $70!!! (as opposed to having to send in my slide and mill it for a couple hundred bucks for an optic if I ever want one you know) ... Plus I was worried about maybe getting an older PRO model without the nice backstraps ... well buying the CORE will solve that worry as they only come with the nice textured straps.

        Anyway I cost me $813 even out the door for the Gun, Taxes, DROS Fee and HSC Test Fee!!! Not a bad deal At All


        Anyway .... I wanted to not open a new thread so I decided to change the name of this thread since it already had some good M&P9 Pro and CORE info in it already and make this a questions and answer thread for this specific model M&P

        I will be asking some questions I think and I am hoping to ask them here if possible.

        Also if you own a PRO or CORE model M&P Please feel free to contribute and leave your thoughts and pics here as well on how you can help me as a new owner and future owners who come to this thread alike!

        My M&P should be here in a couple days (they had to order) then it goes into good ol' CA Jail for 10 days ... Should have it in my grubby ol' hands around Monday July 7th if it comes in this week like it should.

        Once it arrives I will be sure to post comment and Pics (as well int he picture gallery as well).






        BUT I plan on asking a few more questions here about some things if you guys can help?!?!?!?

        Next step it start maybe looking into an optic in the near future to give it a go round and see how I like it.
        Curious about some other basic Red-Dot like Burris Fastfire III etc. that are cheaper then the crazy 600 buck RMR's ... I am gonna be a weekend range warrior so really I don't anything crazy expensive as I am not doing any kind of competition or anything (yet). Also looking at the DeltaPoint as those run for like 400 or less and that is the MAX I would eve think of spending on an optic for this.

        Plus maybe an APEX trigger upgrade all depending on how I like this after I shoot it. Just thinking out-loud really cause I am not sure yet.

        I read a lot about people liking these M&P's after they add the RAM ... the Reset Assist Mechanism I guess it's called ... many guys are not fans of the resets on the M&P line and they are good to go after this install as they can feel that pronounced click WAY after after install .... Does the PRO or CORE accept this RAM device?

        Anyway those are my next step questions really ... anyone have any thoughts or feedback I look forward to hearing from ya!

        Thanks again for all your help guys! (and putting up with my BS)

        -Chris
        Last edited by falconman515; 06-25-2014, 3:43 PM.

        Comment

        • #64
          falconman515
          Senior Member
          • May 2014
          • 870

          What optic are you using in your CORE?

          I'm on a budget and I will not be purchasing anything like the RMR as really that is Way more then is required for my at the range only shooting.

          Anyone using any budget mini red-dots like the Burris Fastfire III with complete success? I'm thinking of trying out the lower prices options firsts.

          I know it sits a tinge higher then the sights and it doesn't cowotness perfect but does that matter? If I'm using the optic I just want to use the optic, if not I will remove to use irons.

          My final optic if all else fails will be the DeltaPoint 2 ... But I prefer a still lower priced option if possible for my basic plinking needs.

          Any suggestions? Who is using cheaper options with success?

          Comment

          • #65
            falconman515
            Senior Member
            • May 2014
            • 870

            Originally posted by falconman515
            What optic are you using in your CORE?

            I'm on a budget and I will not be purchasing anything like the RMR as really that is Way more then is required for my at the range only shooting.

            Anyone using any budget mini red-dots like the Burris Fastfire III with complete success? I'm thinking of trying out the lower prices options firsts.

            I know it sits a tinge higher then the sights and it doesn't cowotness perfect but does that matter? If I'm using the optic I just want to use the optic, if not I will remove to use irons.

            My final optic if all else fails will be the DeltaPoint 2 ... But I prefer a still lower priced option if possible for my basic plinking needs.

            Any suggestions? Who is using cheaper options with success?
            ANYBODY??? Just tossing around some things is all and curious what you all think!




            So my M&P9 Pro CORE came into today ... did the paperwork and put in jail ... now the 10 day clock start!

            Can't wait to see what she's made of ...........

            Comment

            • #66
              franklyfresh
              Member
              • Feb 2014
              • 238

              Real fine firearm. Congrats. And good luck on the ten days.

              Comment

              • #67
                falconman515
                Senior Member
                • May 2014
                • 870

                Ya no kidding ... I'm gonna need it

                Thanks bro.

                Comment

                • #68
                  falconman515
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2014
                  • 870

                  My M&P9 Pro Series C.O.R.E Long Slide has arrived and new Burris FastFire III has been installed!!!

                  Here are some pics of my new baby ... hope she shoots as good as she looks!





                  Comment

                  • #69
                    falconman515
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2014
                    • 870

                    .


                    Added the Burris FastFire III to the M&P C.O.R.E Compatible Optic List to represent the correct plate and screws needed to easily install.



                    Will work the same with a FFII as well from what I gather.

                    S&W never added it to the "compatible" list not that it doesn't fit like a glove with that plate and screw combo but it does not perfectly co-witness so they never saw it as being a reflex do add to the list because of that one feature that they talk about and the FF does not do is all.
                    I have no need for the co-witness capability (why would I want to use the irons through the glass at the range ... I can see a need for it in competition but not a casual range shooter like myself).

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      E__WOK
                      Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 480

                      Originally posted by k1dude
                      If you have the money I'd buy the 5" CORE. You never know. What if you really get into competition and decide you want to shoot open with an optic. You will then be limited or have to machine your slide.
                      How many people shoot the CORE in competition and win compared to the high cap STI with a correct frame mounted red dot?

                      Oh and good luck with having half the capacity of the 40 SW shooters.
                      Feedback

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        falconman515
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2014
                        • 870

                        Originally posted by E__WOK
                        How many people shoot the CORE in competition and win compared to the high cap STI with a correct frame mounted red dot?

                        Oh and good luck with having half the capacity of the 40 SW shooters.
                        Do a lot of guys shoot these M&P9's in competition? I heard that you are handicapped in scoring when using a 9 over a 40.

                        I am FAR from ever doing anything like this but I wonder if I ever do is this gun something a guy would recommend for comp shooting?

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          ODub
                          Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 473

                          Jerry Miculek shoots his pretty well

                          I competed with mine for the first time a few weekends ago and it was a mix of good and bad. I realized quickly that I need to practice drawing and presenting a lot more because I was very slow to the first shot. Then I was aware of my vision tunneling in around the optic. On the plus side, I was crazy accurate with the CORE as long as I pulled the trigger straight back.

                          Have fun, good thread.

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            crob
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 515

                            Originally posted by falconman515
                            Do a lot of guys shoot these M&P9's in competition? I heard that you are handicapped in scoring when using a 9 over a 40.

                            I am FAR from ever doing anything like this but I wonder if I ever do is this gun something a guy would recommend for comp shooting?
                            There is a handicap for using 9mm in divisions outside of Production in USPSA, and currently due to your optic you would be placed in Open division. From what I have read on other forums there is some chatter about a Production Optics division, which would be ideal for your CORE, but nothing yet. Go shoot some fun shoots where there is no penalty for Minor PF and have some fun

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              Trgt
                              Member
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 367

                              Production optics didn't happen, FWIW.

                              But you can be reasonably competitive in Open with this, there is no handicap when you shoot A's (both 5 points each), you are just 20% down when you shoot C's vs 40, 38 SC, 9 major (you get 3 points, they get 4) or D's (1 vs 2 points). But the trick would be to have magazines with Open-like capacity (170mm, 28/29 rounds or so), that's a big challenge.

                              On the plus side, the Open guys are ALWAYS fussing with their equipment, primarily STI 2011 or similar, the gun, mags, etc, so its rare the whole field is running 100% at any given time.

                              If you get it, run it, be good at acquiring the dot quickly, and have fun! I've run Open / Minor PF several times and its FUN! I wouldn't not shoot it just because of the scoring handicap. There's always something faster or slower no matter what you shoot :-)

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                Tok36
                                Veteran Member
                                • May 2013
                                • 3061

                                Originally posted by falconman515
                                Only reason a CORE may be not for me is due the fact a dang red-dot costs as much as the damn gun does!

                                Heck even Jerry said he was running a Vortex and I thought "Hey they have products for good prices maybe I'll check that Razor out he said he uses" ... $500 Whhhaaaaa.

                                Ya If I ever get that far into competition shooting then maybe I might look at it but overall the only advantage I see to the CORE is the ability to add that red-dot or accessory rail and I will not spend that much on a red-dot as I will never have a need I don't think.

                                Now if I had a bunch of money to spend I would assume even using this for range target shooting having the red-dot would be a great advantage and who knows maybe it would be worth the extra 500 bucks just for that alone but my budget just doesn't constitute it I don;t think.
                                Rob a bank

                                Buy a CORE

                                Buy a red dot

                                Frolic.....
                                Vive La Exile Machine!!
                                Link--> CZ 75B -vs- CZ 75 SP-01 Comparison
                                Link--> CGW Type 3 Disco fitting fun
                                Link--> What is a CZ Tactical sport?
                                Will work for CZ Pics!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1