Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock or 1911?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    Mr310
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2011
    • 5692

    Originally posted by Bhobbs
    Get a USGI 1911a1 and be happy.
    If one gets the micro, or another one that takes smaller mags, can you Glock it and use normal 8 rounders in it?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

    Comment

    • #62
      robcoe
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2010
      • 8685

      Personally I would go for the 1911. But that's the answer for me because I cant shoot a Glock, or most polymer double stack guns, very well(oddly I can shoot an SR9,40 and SR9C well, but that's about it). I know if I practiced at it I would stop throwing rounds all over the lower half of the target, but with the current magazine capacity restrictions(I have 10 round magazines for my 1911, so I'm not losing any capacity) and the fact that I live in LA county, so the chances of getting a CCW permit are about the same as suddenly having winged monkeys fly out my butt, I would rather just shoot the guns I know I can use well at the range, and keep my 12ga for home defense.

      My advice, since you seem to want both, if I were you I would buy a medium or large frame Glock now, and start saving up for a nice(Dan Wesson, WWII vintage, ECT) 1911 later.
      Yes, I am an electrical engineer.
      No, I will not fix your computer.

      Comment

      • #63
        redcliff
        Calguns Addict
        • Feb 2008
        • 5676

        Originally posted by Mr310
        If one gets the micro, or another one that takes smaller mags, can you Glock it and use normal 8 rounders in it?
        Yes, if you're referring to an a true 1911 with an Officer's size grip frame.

        Personally, and especially for multi-purpose useage and as a first 1911, I don't recommend a 1911 smaller than a 4", preferably a true Commander length 4.25" barrel. Reducing barrel/slide length beyond that can cause problems on pistols not totally to spec, and requires stricter maintenance procedures. Even as a CCW piece I prefer a LW Commander over my Officers LW ACP or Kimber Ultra CDP II; I like the full size 1911 grip and the extra barrel length is not hard to conceal.

        Frankly, if I had to choose only one 1911 configuration to own, it would be a Commander.
        Last edited by redcliff; 09-08-2011, 9:53 AM.
        "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
        "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
        "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

        "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
        although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

        Comment

        • #64
          MrExel17
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2011
          • 9170

          1911
          "Professionals practice to get it right, Operators practise to get it wrong."

          Comment

          • #65
            rabagley
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2008
            • 7180

            Originally posted by DaveFJ80
            Both.

            I have multiples of both, and I like shooting them all.
            +1.

            Anyone who can't stand buying one or the other has other issues. Both guns are imperfect (despite Glock's marketing), both guns are amazing tools.

            I'm going to go back and answer the question as "which gun should I buy next". And based on your short list, you should buy a Glock 36 next. Then save up your pennies and buy a 1911.

            Be aware, the Glock 36 has snappy recoil compared to other Glocks and to 1911's. With +P's, it's a bit of a chore to shoot 50 rounds. It's still a truly and deeply awesome gun because of it's concealability and firepower.
            "Ecuador offers the United States $23 million a year in economic aid, an amount similar to what we were receiving under the tariff benefits, with the purpose of providing human rights training that will contribute to avoid violations of people's privacy, that degrade humanity," --Fernando Alvarado

            Comment

            • #66
              shinbone
              Member
              • Dec 2009
              • 281

              Depends on the recoil you want to feel. The Glock "ZAP!!" vs the 1911 "BOOM...." Me, Id take the 1911.
              Rails and beavertails = business up front and party in the back.

              Comment

              • #67
                Paradiddle
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2003
                • 1743

                Originally posted by Mr310
                You really wanna compare the United States armed forces and its budget with that of an individual? The gun may have served in many wars, but these weren't higher end models, they didn't fare all that well from it, and when something went wrong, Uncle Sam was always willing to foot the bill to fix the piece or replace it. As much as I wish I had spending power like our government does (or used to) that is sadly not fact.
                Amazing logic...

                Get a Glock. Don't get a 1911.

                Comment

                • #68
                  Mr310
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 5692

                  Originally posted by Paradiddle
                  Amazing logic...

                  Get a Glock. Don't get a 1911.
                  I'm not arguing for either one. I just don't want to be stuck with a gun that I'm too afraid to shoot for fear that I'll be stuck with a huge repair bill. If you can't understand my logic about the wars, that's fine, but it makes as much sense as your argument regarding the same thing.
                  WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    redcliff
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 5676

                    Originally posted by Mr310
                    I'm not arguing for either one. I just don't want to be stuck with a gun that I'm too afraid to shoot for fear that I'll be stuck with a huge repair bill. If you can't understand my logic about the wars, that's fine, but it makes as much sense as your argument regarding the same thing.
                    While I dont really care what pistol you choose, you should be aware that Colt, RIA, and Springfield Armory 1911's all come with lifetime warrantys.
                    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
                    "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
                    "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

                    "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
                    although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      Lead Waster
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 16650

                      Remember that only Glock makes Glocks, so pretty much all glocks have the same quality. 1911 patterened guns are made by many many many manufacturers. Some are awesome, some are less so. 1911's used by the army and that soldiers staked their lives on (assuming their rifles were not useable) were made to be reliable, that means they weren't the high priced tack drivers of today, but then soldiers weren't standing around shootins bullseyes, they were sending lead at other people.

                      So you can't compare the "WW2 1911's" with modern ones that are made to different specs.

                      If the OP is asking "glock or 1911" then one must assume that he likes them equally (otherwise he'd just get whatever he preferred". All things being equal, I'd get the cheaper one.
                      ==================

                      sigpic


                      Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                      Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                      There. Are. Four. Lights!

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        socal44
                        Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • 355

                        I voted:

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          InGrAM
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2010
                          • 3699

                          Get a 1911. Sig makes very nice 1911's for the price. Or you could get a SAO p220 carry (if you are going to carry this firearm). I would go with the Sig SAO p220 carry .





                          Also are you going to carry? Because, the gov't 1911 is a pretty heavy gun, unless you get an alloy frame. Weight it s HUGE thing with a cc gun. I don't carry my hi-power or my 1911's because of the weight. (I would with my colt commander, if it was an heirloom)

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            Mr310
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 5692

                            Originally posted by redcliff
                            While I dont really care what pistol you choose, you should be aware that Colt, RIA, and Springfield Armory 1911's all come with lifetime warrantys.
                            But the Dan Wesson only has a 5 year. I can't find info on the SVI's, and a Remington Rand or Colt from 1928-1947 won't have one at all.
                            WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              Mr310
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 5692

                              Originally posted by InGrAM
                              Get a 1911. Sig makes very nice 1911's for the price. Or you could get a SAO p220 carry (if you are going to carry this firearm). I would go with the Sig SAO p220 carry .


                              Also are you going to carry? Because, the gov't 1911 is a pretty heavy gun, unless you get an alloy frame. Weight it s HUGE thing with a cc gun. I don't carry my hi-power or my 1911's because of the weight. (I would with my colt commander, if it was an heirloom)
                              I probably wouldn't use it for a carry piece. I actually find the baby Glocks to be too cumbersome to carry and a micro 1911, as thin as it is, would probably be around the same size, right?
                              WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                InGrAM
                                Veteran Member
                                • Dec 2010
                                • 3699

                                Originally posted by Mr310
                                I probably wouldn't use it for a carry piece. I actually find the baby Glocks to be too cumbersome to carry and a micro 1911, as thin as it is, would probably be around the same size, right?
                                Oh, If its not for carry then why do you want a baby glock? Get a 1911! LOL

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1