Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

GLOCK 19 Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    bw762308
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 171

    The G19 is probably the best overall size for its caliber of all the Glocks. Not too big, not too small, just right.

    Comment

    • #62
      mag360
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2009
      • 5198

      glock 19 was my first pistol and what a gun. Think I'll get a 17 and a G20sf too!
      just happy to be here. I like talking about better ways to protect ourselves.

      Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

      CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

      NRA Member JOIN HERE/

      Comment

      • #63
        tonelar
        Dinosaur
        • Mar 2008
        • 6081

        G26
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #64
          SIGSHOOTR
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2011
          • 657

          Originally posted by tacticalcity
          Next you need a 1911, then a CZ, then an HK...you can be a fanboy of them all!

          Brand loyalty aside, when you find something that works well for you it's alright to enjoy the heck out of it even if you never thought you would.

          I picked up a Kimber Custom II 45ACP entry level (for a Kimber) 1911 recently and have gotten more into it than I thought I would. I still love my Glock, but the 1911 has been really impressive. Not sure if my next gun will be a Glock 26 or a officer size 1911. Need something as compact as possible for summer CCW in a defensive round and it turns out I'm now a fanboy of both Glocks and 1911s.
          YES- Kimber is definitely the next candidate. Beautiful guns.
          sigpic
          We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
          For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
          Shall be my brother-- Henry V

          Comment

          • #65
            SIGSHOOTR
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 657

            Originally posted by BadKitty
            Congrats and welcome to the family!

            BK
            Thank you! I just love this gun.
            Last edited by SIGSHOOTR; 09-30-2011, 9:10 PM.
            sigpic
            We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
            For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
            Shall be my brother-- Henry V

            Comment

            • #66
              bsg
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2009
              • 25954

              Originally posted by us.marshal
              I realize it is too late to address the original question, and congratulations on the G19 purchase. If you are carrying a P226 as a primary (duty weapon) and were looking for a back up piece, I would have highly recommended sticking with a Sig for the back up. Having the same ergonomics are going to be huge if you ever get into a high stress situation were you have to go to it... Beyond that, you can never have too much ammo.

              With the deed done, you could keep with this philosophy and get yourself a G22 to carry as primary.

              good wisdom here.

              SIGSHOOTR... congratulations on your G19.

              Comment

              • #67
                renardsubtil
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 1659

                Originally posted by adrenaline
                I think his point was not being so anti-gun, but rather the forced selection. I like the idea. Let's give everyone Glock-valued vouchers. It'll be up to the individual to shell out the extra if Glock isn't their thing.

                Didn't "we" all get a stimulus check awhile back for the exact amount of a well endowed Glock of our choice? (lol! Just a thought)
                "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

                Comment

                • #68
                  supersonic
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2007
                  • 5885

                  Originally posted by SIGSHOOTR
                  So I just got off the phone with Glockstore-- very cool guys btw. They recommended getting the stainless steel recoil rod/spring to replace the factory plastic one-- kinda surprised to learn the rod was plastic--kinda bendy with all that torque I would think. Any need for this? Also, I was planning on having them install the Trijicon night sights, but the guy I spoke with preferred the Truglos saying they glow brighter. Don't know anything about Truglos.
                  The aftermarket steel/metallic guide rods are really nothing more than another way for someone else to reach into your pockets. I am talking from the standpoint of the sales pitch being: "Replace the weak OEM part for a stronger, more reliable one." The factory polymer rods were designed by Glock to work in all possible extremes of what the pistol goes through in its operating cycle. These things rarely, if ever, break. I have personally had several hundreds of Glock pistols go through my hands, and never once have I seen (or even heard of) an OEM rod failing (with the exception of one that melted during a torture test where thousands and thousands of rounds were fired nonstop, rapid fire, magdump after magdump). However, if one is looking to add weight to the pistol (for whatever reason), the heavier aftermarket guiderod has merit. But again, if you are looking for strength, you already have it. If there really was enough of a benefit from using a metal rod to actually make a noticeable difference, Glock would have made their own OEM part years ago.

                  Also- TFO sights are the best, IMO. They offer the absolute best of both worlds (as far as day/night goes) and they are cut in a pretty similar manner as a lot of "tactical" or match-type sights. GTG.
                  Last edited by supersonic; 10-01-2011, 11:33 AM.

                  *FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    tacticalcity
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 10929

                    I agree TFOs have a really neat design. But I've never had a problem picking up the wite outline or even just the dot created by the tube. I think of them as sort of a bonus. If you can get a great deal when replacing factory sights, do it. But I would not swap out existing night sights for them. The advantage is not so great I would spend the money if I already had a perfectly good night sight set on my gun.

                    Customer service wise however, it is pretty hard to beat Trijicon. Lost a part a while back for an AR sight. Sent them an email about it and they shipped me a replacement part completely free of charge without asking for any proof I actually purchased the sights I said I did. Conversly, I emailed Meprolight 6 times about an issue I am having with their sights and never got a response. The phone number they give goes straight to voicemail - never got a reply. Don't get me wrong. Meprolight makes great sights. But Trijicon has them beat hands down when it comes to service after the fact. I've tried and sell lots of different brand sights, thus far in the overall sense Trijicon gives you the most bang for your buck as they will be there for you no matter what.

                    Surefire and Aimpoint both provide the same level of service by the way (as I am sure many other companies do). They have both sent me replacement parts no questions asked. It harkens back to our grandfather's day, when such things were the norm and they knew how to treat a customer right.
                    Last edited by tacticalcity; 10-01-2011, 5:25 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      supersonic
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2007
                      • 5885

                      Originally posted by tacticalcity
                      I agree TFOs have a really neat design. But I've never had a problem picking up the wite outline or even just the dot created by the tube. I think of them as sort of a bonus. If you can get a great deal when replacing factory sights, do it. But I would not swap out existing night sights for them. The advantage is not so great I would spend the money if I already had a perfectly good night sight set on my gun.

                      Customer service wise however, it is pretty hard to beat Trijicon. Lost a part a while back for an AR sight. Sent them an email about it and they shipped me a replacement part completely free of charge without asking for any proof I actually purchased the sights I said I did. Conversly, I emailed Meprolight 6 times about an issue I am having with their sights and never got a response. The phone number they give goes straight to voicemail - never got a reply. Don't get me wrong. Meprolight makes great sights. But Trijicon has them beat hands down when it comes to service after the fact. I've tried and sell lots of different brand sights, thus far in the overall sense Trijicon gives you the most bang for your buck as they will be there for you no matter what.
                      As great as the TFO's are, TruGlo's customer service simply BLOWS (much like the Mepro experience posted above). Trijicon is right up there with the best of them as far as CS goes, and their nightsights are very high-quality. TFO's just have that edge that no others have, though, in that they are like having nightsights 24/7. No one else, as far as I know, has stepped up to the plate with this type of sight. Maybe TruGlo has the patent.

                      *FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        SIGSHOOTR
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 657

                        Originally posted by supersonic
                        The aftermarket steel/metallic guide rods are really nothing more than another way for someone else to reach into your pockets. I am talking from the standpoint of the sales pitch being: "Replace the weak OEM part for a stronger, more reliable one." The factory polymer rods were designed by Glock to work in all possible extremes of what the pistol goes through in its operating cycle. These things rarely, if ever, break. I have personally had several hundreds of Glock pistols go through my hands, and never once have I seen (or even heard of) an OEM rod failing (with the exception of one that melted during a torture test where thousands and thousands of rounds were fired nonstop, rapid fire, magdump after magdump). However, if one is looking to add weight to the pistol (for whatever reason), the heavier aftermarket guiderod has merit. But again, if you are looking for strength, you already have it. If there really was enough of a benefit from using a metal rod to actually make a noticeable difference, Glock would have made their own OEM part years ago.

                        Also- TFO sights are the best, IMO. They offer the absolute best of both worlds (as far as day/night goes) and they are cut in a pretty similar manner as a lot of "tactical" or match-type sights. GTG.
                        Well, as I said in an earlier post I am sure the factory plastic rod is fine and as you said if it wasn't Glock would have replaced it I'm sure (but then the cost of the gun would go up wouldn't it-- so it makes sense for a company to use a cheaper plastic part if it works). Having said that, after firing about a 100 rounds each using the plastic and then the steel-- I personally found the gun shot better with the steel rod. Less muzzle jump and rise especially during rapid fire (I was practicing double taps on multiple targets today and the gun was simply outstanding). As for adding a bit of weight to the FRONT end of the gun-- especially for compact short barreled pistols, it helps to keep down muzzle rise. YMMV. If the plastic rod works for you, great. On my M4, I've swapped out my buffer and spring as well as upgraded the extractor spring and insert- why? Cuz those items make the gun-- IMO-- shoot and perform better. Same with the stainless guide rod on my G19. If I didn't notice a difference, I would have gladly ate the $30 I spent on the steel rod and kept the plastic rod. As for the night sights-- my G19 came with Glock factory night sights (which are Mepro I am told). I did a night shoot today and they work great. 500 rounds through the G19 today and the more rounds I put thru this gun, the more I love it. My poor SIG sat in the range bag all day.

                        Thanks everyone for the congrats notes and great advice. Truly appreciated.
                        sigpic
                        We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
                        For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
                        Shall be my brother-- Henry V

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          tacticalcity
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 10929

                          If you hadn't liked the rod you would not have needed to eat it. Ebay and the Marketplace here are great for when you purchase something and then change your mind. Especially in my case with only having to pay dealer cost for most things. But you liked it, so you're safe. You could always sell off the take off rod and spring. Since it's in new condition you should do OK on the price.

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            Seiran
                            Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 152

                            I have the stainless steel rod for my G23 from glockstore as well, and I didn't really notice a difference. *shrugs* As for my TFO's, love them, but if they ever break or otherwise fail, I'm gonna switch to Heinie Straight-8's

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              Jimmy310
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2009
                              • 1766

                              OP, congrats on your G19! Its glocks most popular model for a reason. I, like you didn't like the mag release. You can relieve that by getting the extended mag release from midway usa.com for about 3 dollars. They were out of the oem one, so i got the aftermarket lone wolf distribution one. Installed, you wouldn't even know the difference.

                              As for a 1911, i like Kimber too. I pick up a Stainless 2 tomorrow. All i'll do to it is change out the front sight. If you ever want to check it out, come up to torrance and we'll goto the socal sharpshooter indoor range.



                              WTT: Federal hydrashock 40s&w JHP's for 9mm fmj's locally


                              http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=927721

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                PRonyan
                                Junior Member
                                • Jun 2011
                                • 7

                                I've had the G19 for a while with night sights. I recently got a G17 with standard sights. While I love the G19, the grip felt too short for my hand. The G17 feels more comfortable and my fingers aren't crowded together. As a result I am more accurate with the G17. I don't know if the sights are making a difference too.

                                I would try both to see which feels more comfortable in your hand. I also have a few recoil springs as spares. They are cheap enough to carry in you range bag.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1