Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

GLOCK 19 Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    SIGSHOOTR
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 657

    Thanks guys-- appreciate the advice on the guide rod and night sights.
    sigpic
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother-- Henry V

    Comment

    • #32
      Festus
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 90

      FWIW, before I bought my first gun, I rented a few Glocks at the range (G19, 17, 23), never really liked shooting them much. Buddy of mine kept telling me "get a Glock", and I really liked shooting his 23, which has the 3.5# connector and other upgrades. Went ahead and bought a G19 with the 3.5# connector, extended mag release, etc., and I'm happy I went that route. Great gun, fun to shoot. I also have a Sig 229 in .40, which a great gun as well. Super smooth, and I'm the most accurate with my 229. The G19 is lighter than the 229, and seems to have a slightly smaller "footprint", if you will, so might be easier for carry. So...get a G19 and a 229!

      Comment

      • #33
        civilsnake
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2008
        • 2261

        Originally posted by SIGSHOOTR
        Great suggestions - thanks. I hear you on the 239-- great gun. and in some ways it would be a better back up to the 229. but no rail for a light (and I don't think Surefire makes an adapter mount for it) which is a requirement for me.
        If you're talking about a backup as in a carry piece, the light may prove cumbersome.

        The issue for me is that SIG doesn't really make a short grip, thin pistol with a light rail except for the P220 Compact, and that's only available in .45ACP. Everything else has a doublestack mag and full length grip. Of course if you're not concerned about carrying, none of this really matters. But if you're not concerned with carrying, why would you need a more compact pistol?
        Then another horse PONY came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other. To him was given a huge sword. My kinda guy.

        Comment

        • #34
          gorenut
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2010
          • 3072

          I've owned H&K and Sigs and sold them since getting my G34. I'm personally a fan of the G17/34 frame as it fits me better, but if the G19 fits you better - by all means go for it. One of the great things about Glock, you can essentially find one in most flavors of size/caliber.

          I would pass on the USP. Great pistol (I owned one in 40), but I don't think most civilians would take full advantage of H&Ks durability (which I believe most the costs go into) and there are plenty of other guns that have better triggers (makes it better for range and HD) - IMO. Most guns are more than durable enough for most users and if you are a civilian with ready-steady access to spare parts when they do need replacing, I see no reason to spend the extra on an H&K unless it just fits you perfectly.

          Comment

          • #35
            CK_32
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Sep 2010
            • 14369

            Originally posted by Oceanbob
            I am not joking when I say that EVERY PERSON who owns and shoots handguns for pleasure or home protection should own either a GLOCK 19 or a GLOCK 17.

            To the extent that the Federal Government should give every citizen a GLOCK 19 or 17 on their 18th Birthday. (a written and practical test should be required as well; we OWE our young people a GUN EDUCATION)

            Buy a GLOCK 19 and install your choice of sites. The install is easy.

            Never sell your glock. (s)

            Be well, Bob
            AGREE!
            For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

            What's Your Caliber??


            My Youtube channel

            Comment

            • #36
              locosway
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jun 2009
              • 11346

              Originally posted by gorenut
              I've owned H&K and Sigs and sold them since getting my G34. I'm personally a fan of the G17/34 frame as it fits me better, but if the G19 fits you better - by all means go for it. One of the great things about Glock, you can essentially find one in most flavors of size/caliber.

              I would pass on the USP. Great pistol (I owned one in 40), but I don't think most civilians would take full advantage of H&Ks durability (which I believe most the costs go into) and there are plenty of other guns that have better triggers (makes it better for range and HD) - IMO. Most guns are more than durable enough for most users and if you are a civilian with ready-steady access to spare parts when they do need replacing, I see no reason to spend the extra on an H&K unless it just fits you perfectly.
              HK, Glock, Sig, XD, M&P... They're all about the same with minor differences when it comes to durability. I don't put HK higher or lower than anyone else, even if they've been known to break springs and have more malfunctions than other brands.
              OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
              NRA Certified Instructor
              CA DOJ Certified Instructor
              Glock Certified Armorer

              Comment

              • #37
                osxgp
                Member
                • Jun 2010
                • 435

                I like my Glock 19 Gen 4. Its a solid gun. It had the initial recoil spring problem, but Glock mailed me the correct one in about 3 days. In case your unfamiliar with that, the first batch of Gen 4 G19s came with the same recoil spring they put in the Gen 4 G23. Just like the previous generation Glocks; but it wouldn't properly feed 115gr ball ammo because it was too stiff. Glock obviously fixed the problem by making a lighter spring for the G19. The spring says 03 on it unlike the 04 spring that initially came with the gun.
                Last edited by osxgp; 08-30-2011, 9:46 PM.

                Comment

                • #38
                  SIGSHOOTR
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 657

                  Well-- I DROS'd a G19 with night sights (I'm told Mepro supplies the factory Glock night sights)- Riflegear got 3 in and I snatched one up. Now, the 10 day fast begins. Thanks to all for your helpful comments and insights.
                  sigpic
                  We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
                  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
                  Shall be my brother-- Henry V

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Oceanbob
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 12720

                    Originally posted by SIGSHOOTR
                    Well-- I DROS'd a G19 with night sights (I'm told Mepro supplies the factory Glock night sights)- Riflegear got 3 in and I snatched one up. Now, the 10 day fast begins. Thanks to all for your helpful comments and insights.
                    Congrats..!....A great weapon and Riflegear is good to go..!

                    Those night sites are fantastic. A little spooky looking at you at 3:26 AM when you open your eyes for a second......hahaha..
                    May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                    Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                    Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Tango_Whiskey
                      Junior Member
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 85

                      Originally posted by SIGSHOOTR
                      Well-- I DROS'd a G19 with night sights (I'm told Mepro supplies the factory Glock night sights)- Riflegear got 3 in and I snatched one up. Now, the 10 day fast begins. Thanks to all for your helpful comments and insights.
                      You will be happy with it. The 19 was my first Glock and I really enjoy it. Congrats!
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Huge Grant
                        Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 225

                        The Glock 19 was my first gun, so you'll get a big thumbs-up here on that alone. Aside from that sentiment, however, I've found both of my Glocks to be a joy to shoot, reliable as hell, and coolest of all... they are impervious to my amateur gunsmithing forays. That is the best aspect of owning a Glock, IMO... you can customize to your heart's content, and relatively cheaply at that. Go for it!
                        Originally posted by thud916
                        I have to admit I like carrying anything new I buy around the house with me. Wife caught me taking a growler wearing body armor and holding a Spike Tactical.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          One78Shovel
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 2962

                          Originally posted by RollingCode3
                          Bob... I have to disagree with you. How about both?


                          I have the Glock-19 rtf Gen 3 thankfully without the over the top white lettering. Great pistol...

                          What's up with that?

                          -178S

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            cindynles
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 2806

                            Originally posted by RollingCode3
                            Bob... I have to disagree with you. How about both?
                            I concur!



                            Originally posted by SIGSHOOTR
                            So I just got off the phone with Glockstore-- very cool guys btw. They recommended getting the stainless steel recoil rod/spring to replace the factory plastic one-- kinda surprised to learn the rod was plastic--kinda bendy with all that torque I would think. Any need for this? Also, I was planning on having them install the Trijicon night sights, but the guy I spoke with preferred the Truglos saying they glow brighter. Don't know anything about Truglos.
                            TruGlo TFOs are bright, but they are also pretty big. The really shine outdoors.



                            Last edited by cindynles; 09-30-2011, 7:18 PM.
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              us.marshal
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 218

                              I realize it is too late to address the original question, and congratulations on the G19 purchase. If you are carrying a P226 as a primary (duty weapon) and were looking for a back up piece, I would have highly recommended sticking with a Sig for the back up. Having the same ergonomics are going to be huge if you ever get into a high stress situation were you have to go to it... Beyond that, you can never have too much ammo.

                              With the deed done, you could keep with this philosophy and get yourself a G22 to carry as primary.
                              I love all things LaRue!
                              https://www.larue.com/

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                12GAUGE
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 615

                                Like mine so much I have 2 for the house.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1