Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Single Shot Exemption Explanation/Database Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kemasa
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jun 2005
    • 10706

    Originally posted by velmingrafter
    1) He is very concerned that changing the barrel "could" be considered manufacturing. I know the conventional wisdom here says it's not, but has there been any court ruling or CADOJ statement that says it's not manufacturing?
    Manufacturing is not a CA DOJ issue, it is a BATF issue. Based on what I have been told by the BATF, it is not considered manufacturing as long as you are only replacing parts and that there is no milling or machining involved.

    2) It sounds like non-roster guns should be displayed with an L.E. Only tag. If a regular customer inquires about a non-roster gun, can the FFL mention the SSE option, or does the customer have to specifically request doing SSE?
    I don't know that there is anything illegal about mentioning the SSE option.
    Kemasa.
    False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

    Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

    Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

    Comment

    • buster1960
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2012
      • 513

      My LGS has LEO only tags and they wont even let you TOUCH the gun and will tell you that SSE is illegal!! Guns, junk, and other trash, Vacaville.
      NRA Life Member
      US Army 1977-1979 12B Combat Engineer
      US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)

      My guns are like my internal organs, I'd have to be dead to be without them.
      I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders....Ted Nugent
      There are 2 kinds of people, normal and skinny....my Father in Law

      Unrestrained children in back seats cause accidents.
      Unrestrained accidents in back seats cause children.

      Comment

      • LBDamned
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2011
        • 19040

        Originally posted by buster1960
        My LGS has LEO only tags and they wont even let you TOUCH the gun and will tell you that SSE is illegal!! Guns, junk, and other trash, Vacaville.
        did you ask him what penal code?

        Apparently he doesn't understand the definition of the law (as it pertains to a single shot pistol)... or he doesn't understand the law as it pertains to modifying a gun.

        Or he just doesn't like the idea of SSE and that it can be done legally... which is fine, and he doesn't have to offer it... but he certainly should not be stating it is illegal (which it is not) - the lack of legal knowledge about firearms would dissuade many potential gun buyers.
        "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

        Comment

        • buster1960
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2012
          • 513

          This is the largest gun store in solano county. If you ask them to quote penal code they will just look at you like your stupid and respond "I cant remember all the codes but its illegal". They will also tell you that intrafamilial transfers are illegal and they wont handle them for you. They also only do PPT's when its "convenient" for them. Thats why I shop there to handle the guns and make buying decisions and then order them through someone else.
          NRA Life Member
          US Army 1977-1979 12B Combat Engineer
          US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)

          My guns are like my internal organs, I'd have to be dead to be without them.
          I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders....Ted Nugent
          There are 2 kinds of people, normal and skinny....my Father in Law

          Unrestrained children in back seats cause accidents.
          Unrestrained accidents in back seats cause children.

          Comment

          • velmingrafter
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2011
            • 47

            Thanks for the help guys!

            Comment

            • WA.Ranger
              Junior Member
              • Jan 2012
              • 22

              Buster, I agree with you 100%. I hate that place and lack of customer service.

              Comment

              • ScApE
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2014
                • 1

                Here's a peculiar question: If you find yourself using an SSE weapon in a home defense type situation and happen to fire off a couple of shots, it goes without saying there will be some kind of investigation, so could you get in trouble when upon inspection, your gun is no longer in SSE form?

                Comment

                • Cyc Wid It
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 4485

                  No, a good shoot is a good shoot
                  WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

                  Comment

                  • Artema
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2012
                    • 3821

                    Originally posted by ScApE
                    Here's a peculiar question: If you find yourself using an SSE weapon in a home defense type situation and happen to fire off a couple of shots, it goes without saying there will be some kind of investigation, so could you get in trouble when upon inspection, your gun is no longer in SSE form?
                    You may modify your personal weapons as much as you like as long as you don't go outside of legal limits, such as SBR, FA, sawed-off shotgun, etc.
                    - SAAMI Pressure Specs
                    Originally posted by Artema
                    I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.

                    Comment

                    • LBDamned
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 19040

                      Originally posted by ScApE
                      Here's a peculiar question: If you find yourself using an SSE weapon in a home defense type situation and happen to fire off a couple of shots, it goes without saying there will be some kind of investigation, so could you get in trouble when upon inspection, your gun is no longer in SSE form?
                      I have asked the same question in the past and have been assured that no trouble would come...

                      However, this is CA and what's up is down and down is up... so I'm still leery - as two of my SSE are nothing other than defense guns... but as the saying goes; rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
                      "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

                      Comment

                      • anoldguy
                        Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 125

                        I have also been concerned about the same thing. I had an SSE done on a firearm that WAS on the roster up until late 2009, but then disappeared. I had the SSE performed in early 2011 because I wanted the function and safety features it has. It is one of my carry guns, and if they start prosecuting people for firearms that are not on the roster any longer, there are a ton of us that will be in trouble. But then there's the civil lawsuit aspect that would no doubt come into play as well if a shooting occurs. Nowadays people will sue you because they don't like the color of socks you're wearing. Any legal minds out there that can speak to this based on case law?

                        Comment

                        • Cyc Wid It
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 4485

                          Can we stop rehashing this?

                          There's no precedent for any of these hypothetical fairy tale scenarios that people seem so worried about.
                          WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

                          Comment

                          • LBDamned
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 19040

                            Originally posted by anoldguy
                            I have also been concerned about the same thing. I had an SSE done on a firearm that WAS on the roster up until late 2009, but then disappeared. I had the SSE performed in early 2011 because I wanted the function and safety features it has. It is one of my carry guns, and if they start prosecuting people for firearms that are not on the roster any longer, there are a ton of us that will be in trouble. But then there's the civil lawsuit aspect that would no doubt come into play as well if a shooting occurs. Nowadays people will sue you because they don't like the color of socks you're wearing. Any legal minds out there that can speak to this based on case law?
                            There will likely be a civil lawsuit regardless of what gun is used.
                            "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

                            Comment

                            • LBDamned
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 19040

                              Originally posted by Cyc Wid It
                              Can we stop rehashing this?

                              There's no precedent for any of these hypothetical fairy tale scenarios that people seem so worried about.
                              Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't/won't

                              It always amazes me how confident and sure (about lawsuits over guns) some people seem in this state.

                              It's not fear mongering - but we would all be fools if there were no concern at all... If you feel otherwise, you have way more faith in this state and it's gun laws than I do. This isn't to say trouble WILL come - but I think its a bit naive to assume it won't.
                              "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

                              Comment

                              • Cyc Wid It
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 4485

                                Can we not rehash this again in this thread? We can make the 232342323th thread asking about what ammo to use, what trigger modifications, what sights in a HD situation.
                                WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1