Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Single Shot Exemption Explanation/Database Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cyc Wid It
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 4485

    The EMP .40 has a bull barrel, which isn't terribly common. IIRC a lot of the parts are unique to the EMP.

    It needs to be able to fire.
    WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

    Comment

    • bigbob76
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 3954

      Originally posted by Cyc Wid It
      The EMP .40 has a bull barrel, which isn't terribly common. IIRC a lot of the parts are unique to the EMP.

      It needs to be able to fire.
      Does it need to be able to fire .40 or is there some reason it couldn't be a 9mm or .45acp barrel? Thanks, Bob
      If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

      Comment

      • Cyc Wid It
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 4485

        It could be another caliber, but the gun would have to be functional (not just dimensionally compliant).
        WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

        Comment

        • SOAR79
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 2944

          I would have never guessed this since, we'd never be able to prove it's "fireable"

          Comment

          • Cyc Wid It
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 4485

            If required by DOJ or whatever: take it to the range and fire a round from a ransom rest. You can't just stick a random barrel in there and say "look, it's dimensionally compliant". If there are any shops out there not converting properly, it's their livelihood on the line. If you lack the parts or gunsmithing know-how to do it, don't.
            WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

            Comment

            • anoldguy
              Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 125

              Now that a previously SSE firearm has been taken back to original without ever firing a round through it while it was still in the SSE configuration, do you believe anyone at DOJ could/would ask you to prove it was functional? I sure hope they wouldn't, because there are some of us that would fail that test I think. All the paperwork was done in proper order and all conditions (10 Day wait) were met though. Your thoughts please.

              Comment

              • Cyc Wid It
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 4485

                No.

                What I meant was the hypothetical situation where the CA DOJ happens to be doing an audit of an FFL that has exempted firearms that have already been DROS'ed. If there's doubt upon inspection that the gun is properly converted I'm guessing they could seize and test. This is not something to be taken lightly.

                This also explains why there's a backlog of for certain SSE guns. Guns must remain in exempted form throughout the 10-day wait (and however much longer until the customer picks up).
                WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

                Comment

                • LBDamned
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 19040

                  I'm sure Yee and his cronies are taking notes.

                  Good job guys
                  "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

                  Comment

                  • Adam_12
                    Junior Member
                    • Jan 2014
                    • 59

                    So let's say I'd like to have a Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion shipped to me. I understand the SSE process of finding a dealer and a gunsmith, but since this model is not on the CA roster, would it need to have the micro stamping technology?

                    Comment

                    • HPGunner
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 1359

                      ^nope - because it's SSE - it doesn't need any of those "safe" features. The whole point of SSE is that it's exempt from the roster

                      Comment

                      • DarinB
                        Junior Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 3

                        Originally posted by ptusa
                        Lots of dealers will include the SSE for no charge if you buy/order the gun from them. The $100 is often when you order it yourself and ship to the FFL for just the transfer.
                        Direct Action Solutions didn't charged me for the SSE when I bought my XDm from them. I think as long as they have the parts to do the SSE for the particular firearm, they won't charge for doing it.
                        Springfield XDm 9mm 5.25 Competition
                        Ruger Mark III Target
                        Ruger 10/22
                        Remington 514
                        Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Win

                        Comment

                        • Dc2 r guy
                          Junior Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 87

                          Really like what you did OP THANK YOU..

                          Comment

                          • edwardfa
                            Member
                            • Sep 2011
                            • 490

                            Yup! I noticed it to! Thanks!
                            BANG!

                            Originally posted by goodoljake
                            ...It's like chasing a Chupacabra or Sasquatch...

                            Comment

                            • velmingrafter
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 47

                              I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have a couple questions for you SSE experts. I have a friend who owns an FFL01 in California but he does not currently do any SSEs for handguns. He is very interested in doing them, especially with all the guns about to fall off the list due to microstamping, but is terrified of CADOJ. I would like to help put his mind at ease, so if you could answer any of the following, that would be great!

                              1) He is very concerned that changing the barrel "could" be considered manufacturing. I know the conventional wisdom here says it's not, but has there been any court ruling or CADOJ statement that says it's not manufacturing?

                              2) It sounds like non-roster guns should be displayed with an L.E. Only tag. If a regular customer inquires about a non-roster gun, can the FFL mention the SSE option, or does the customer have to specifically request doing SSE?

                              Thank you very much for your help!

                              Comment

                              • LBDamned
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Feb 2011
                                • 19040

                                Originally posted by velmingrafter
                                I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have a couple questions for you SSE experts. I have a friend who owns an FFL01 in California but he does not currently do any SSEs for handguns. He is very interested in doing them, especially with all the guns about to fall off the list due to microstamping, but is terrified of CADOJ. I would like to help put his mind at ease, so if you could answer any of the following, that would be great!

                                1) He is very concerned that changing the barrel "could" be considered manufacturing. I know the conventional wisdom here says it's not, but has there been any court ruling or CADOJ statement that says it's not manufacturing?
                                if changing the barrel is manufacturing, then I manufacture every time I go to the range - by swapping 9mm and .40 barrels in an M&P... the answer is; no.
                                2) It sounds like non-roster guns should be displayed with an L.E. Only tag. If a regular customer inquires about a non-roster gun, can the FFL mention the SSE option, or does the customer have to specifically request doing SSE?
                                I've seen non-rostered guns displayed with long barrel and in single shot configuration. looks odd, sure - but anyone that understand SSE and the law is immediately drawn to them.

                                Thank you very much for your help!
                                ...
                                "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1