Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What would be a 'fair' PPT charge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Matt C
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2006
    • 7128

    Originally posted by jtmkinsd
    What you find credible is irrelevant. As I said, your theories are based on assumptions of your personal buying/spending habits. A poor model to apply so broadly.
    My theory about sunk fixed costs is based on a basic understanding of business principles.

    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
    OK, 15 minutes is still $40/hr EXTRA since the shop has to be manned right?
    He seriously doesn't seem to get that.

    Here this may help you: http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?e...HTT_ozV5.SGw--
    Last edited by Matt C; 11-24-2010, 3:10 PM.
    I do not provide legal services or practice law (yet).

    The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.

    Comment

    • #32
      E Pluribus Unum
      Calguns Addict
      • Dec 2006
      • 8098

      Originally posted by jtmkinsd
      I've no problem with doing PPT's...I'd do them all day long if I could make money on it. The simple fact is I can't...you're right...if the requirements weren't there, I'd find another line of work.
      You must take the good with the bad. We both agree that guns would be dirt cheap if there were no government regulation. People could buy directly from shops in other parts of the country where cost of living was cheaper. I would say that you could RARELY find a California gun shop because the cost of doing business would be too high. So, be happy the law is written the way it is. It creates a situation where people MUST go to you to buy guns and thereby eliminates a lot of competition.


      Originally posted by jtmkinsd
      I don't care if the govt tells me I have to offer a service. I care they tell me I can't make a living doing it. If it was so important to them, why don't they waive the DROS fee on PPT's???
      You want the government to give you the best of both worlds. You want them to tell consumers:

      A) You must go to a licensed gun dealer.

      AND

      B) That licensed dealer can charge you whatever he wants.


      We are not talking about automobiles here; these are constitutionally protected possessions. By opening the door to dealers charging whatever they want, you are in essence making it prohibitively expensive for lower income people to transfer firearms the legal way. This will end up with these lower income people selling their guns without a dealer to God know who. The whole purpose is to prevent prohibited persons from obtaining the guns.


      Just remember when you are doing the PPTs that yes, you are losing money, but it's the cost of doing business and you must take the good with the bad. Trust me, it's much better now the way it is than it was in the 1980s when we could buy guns in a parking lot.
      Last edited by E Pluribus Unum; 11-24-2010, 3:11 PM.
      Originally posted by Alan Gura
      The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
      Originally posted by hoffmang
      12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

      -Gene
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #33
        jtmkinsd
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2010
        • 2352

        Originally posted by Blackwater OPS
        My theory about sunk fixed costs is based on a basic understanding of business principles.



        He seriously doesn't seem to get that.

        Here this may help you: http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?e...HTT_ozV5.SGw--
        Fixed costs don't exist in a vacuum...you assume I'm sitting at the counter with nothing else to do. If you want to dive into the economics of the situation, what's the true opportunity cost of doing a ppt as opposed to other activities? What about the transfer-only dealer who's also a gunsmith who's got guns backing up for service and repair and could be charging $60/hr for labor, but instead has to accept a 20 year old fee mandated by the state which has never been adjusted to account for increases in the fixed costs. Economic theories are easy to spout...but I can't deposit them.
        Originally posted by orangeglo
        Welcome to failtown, population = you.

        Comment

        • #34
          CSACANNONEER
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Dec 2006
          • 44094

          Originally posted by jtmkinsd
          Fixed costs don't exist in a vacuum...you assume I'm sitting at the counter with nothing else to do. If you want to dive into the economics of the situation, what's the true opportunity cost of doing a ppt as opposed to other activities? What about the transfer-only dealer who's also a gunsmith who's got guns backing up for service and repair and could be charging $60/hr for labor, but instead has to accept a 20 year old fee mandated by the state which has never been adjusted to account for increases in the fixed costs. Economic theories are easy to spout...but I can't deposit them.
          A gunsmith who has a FFL but does not sell firearms is not required to do PPTs. This is why Big 5 only has to do PPTs for long guns. But, I see your point. If he can charge $60 for his time, he either needs to complete the PPT in 10 minutes or he'll loose a few bucks IF he is always backlogged with work that pays $60/hr.
          NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
          California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
          Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
          Utah CCW Instructor


          Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

          sigpic
          CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

          KM6WLV

          Comment

          • #35
            Matt C
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2006
            • 7128

            Ok, that's a valid argument at least.

            Originally posted by jtmkinsd
            Fixed costs don't exist in a vacuum...you assume I'm sitting at the counter with nothing else to do.
            Well I'm assuming all sales people are not making other sales, if they are you should politely ask the PPT to wait, and feel free to browse your other wares.

            Originally posted by jtmkinsd
            what's the true opportunity cost of doing a ppt as opposed to other activities?
            Depends on the activity, no reason why you should lose a sale while conducting a PPT though. If this is an ongoing issue you hire someone for $15 an hour to handle PPTs.

            Originally posted by jtmkinsd
            What about the transfer-only dealer who's also a gunsmith who's got guns backing up for service and repair and could be charging $60/hr for labor, but instead has to accept a 20 year old fee mandated by the state which has never been adjusted to account for increases in the fixed costs.
            Well he can do the gunsmith work after the PPT work, or hire someone for $15 an hour to handle PPTs.
            I do not provide legal services or practice law (yet).

            The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.

            Comment

            • #36
              E Pluribus Unum
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2006
              • 8098

              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
              A gunsmith who has a FFL but does not sell firearms is not required to do PPTs. This is why Big 5 only has to do PPTs for long guns. But, I see your point. If he can charge $60 for his time, he either needs to complete the PPT in 10 minutes or he'll loose a few bucks IF he is always backlogged with work that pays $60/hr.
              He makes this point but fails to address my point:

              Not dealing with gunsmiths that do not sell firearms (they are not required as you point out):

              Any vendor that sells firearms, that is making $60 per hour, that is LOSING $60 to do that PPT owes his entire thriving business to a system that completely eliminates out of state competition and creates a situation where no one can buy a new gun without dealing with him or someone like him.

              For years, people could get a Sears catalog and order a gun shipped straight to the house. The laws as written have eliminated all real internet/mail order competition. If allowed, this competition would drive his resale price through the floor and he knows it.
              Originally posted by Alan Gura
              The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
              Originally posted by hoffmang
              12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

              -Gene
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #37
                jtmkinsd
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2010
                • 2352

                Ok...now we're getting somewhere at least. Ok...hire someone...what added expenses are there in this option. Workers comp insurance, payroll, training. Would it be fair to say if I hire someone at $15/hr the actual cost to me is probably in the neighborhood of $22-$25 an hour?

                I'm not saying it's a bad idea...justifying the expense gets tricky though.
                Originally posted by orangeglo
                Welcome to failtown, population = you.

                Comment

                • #38
                  E Pluribus Unum
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 8098

                  Originally posted by jtmkinsd
                  Ok...now we're getting somewhere at least. Ok...hire someone...what added expenses are there in this option. Workers comp insurance, payroll, training. Would it be fair to say if I hire someone at $15/hr the actual cost to me is probably in the neighborhood of $22-$25 an hour?

                  I'm not saying it's a bad idea...justifying the expense gets tricky though.
                  Then given the choice, would you repeal the law in its entirety? The law that requires you to do PPTs for $10 was passed at the exact same time that it became required that all firearms transactions be done through an FFL (except for C&R).
                  Originally posted by Alan Gura
                  The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
                  Originally posted by hoffmang
                  12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

                  -Gene
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    jtmkinsd
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • 2352

                    Originally posted by E Pluribus Unum
                    He makes this point but fails to address my point:

                    Not dealing with gunsmiths that do not sell firearms (they are not required as you point out):

                    Any vendor that sells firearms, that is making $60 per hour, that is LOSING $60 to do that PPT owes his entire thriving business to a system that completely eliminates out of state competition and creates a situation where no one can buy a new gun without dealing with him or someone like him.

                    For years, people could get a Sears catalog and order a gun shipped straight to the house. The laws as written have eliminated all real internet/mail order competition. If allowed, this competition would drive his resale price through the floor and he knows it.
                    I understand the point you make, the entire reason my business exists is due to the restrictions imposed...and believe me...I REALLY wouldn't mind if PPTs were done away with. But being a free market person...why not let the natural forces determine the price?
                    Originally posted by orangeglo
                    Welcome to failtown, population = you.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      jtmkinsd
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 2352

                      Originally posted by E Pluribus Unum
                      Then given the choice, would you repeal the law in its entirety? The law that requires you to do PPTs for $10 was passed at the exact same time that it became required that all firearms transactions be done through an FFL (except for C&R).
                      I would be happy as a clam
                      Originally posted by orangeglo
                      Welcome to failtown, population = you.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        E Pluribus Unum
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 8098

                        Originally posted by jtmkinsd
                        I understand the point you make, the entire reason my business exists is due to the restrictions imposed...and believe me...I REALLY wouldn't mind if PPTs were done away with. But being a free market person...why not let the natural forces determine the price?
                        By requiring that we go to a dealer, but then not limiting the dealer, the government is handing a constitutionally-protected right over to private industry. In heavily-populated areas the effect would be less pronounced because there is so much competition, but in rural areas, the cost would be horrific. In towns having only 1 gun shop, it would be left up to the benevolence of the gun shop owner. The gun shop owner would be free to charge more for a PPT than a new gun, in effect, making it essentially impossible to sell a used gun legally, and still make a profit.

                        Example:

                        Let's say a shop were free to charge $100 for a PPT. I have an old single shot shotgun that retails for $150.00. By the time the shop charges $100 for the PPT, I can only sell my shotgun for less than $50.00 or else the customer might as well just go to the gun shop and order from him. I will then either, keep the firearm.... or sell it illegally.

                        I ran into this when I was trying to buy a .50 caliber BMG. I was unable to buy one because all of the local shops wanted to charge me $100 plus 30% of the total value of the firearm, just for the transfer. So... if I bought a $2000 .50BMG over the internet and had it shipped to them, they were going to charge me over $700.00. The SAME thing would happen if the law did not limit PPT fees. If instead, someone had a .50 BMG to sell me, they would again charge their normal "30%" and expensive guns would be too expensive to transfer.


                        Originally posted by jtmkinsd
                        I would be happy as a clam
                        Then it's settled.... we need to get the legislation to repeal the law and we will all be happy.
                        Originally posted by Alan Gura
                        The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
                        Originally posted by hoffmang
                        12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

                        -Gene
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          jtmkinsd
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 2352

                          Well, the whole 1 gun shop in town thing happens now with things the way they are...that's just plain old capitalism...if there is a need, someone will step in and fill it...there's plenty of towns with no gun shop. Should government step in and mandate one or more gun shops per town? Nobody says you have to use a particular shop...you pay for convenience. If I know you have to drive 300 miles to get a service I offer, I'm going to charge a fee that the market will bear. Until competition steps in that is. You have a right to keep and bear arms...not a right to have cheap and convenient service.
                          Originally posted by orangeglo
                          Welcome to failtown, population = you.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            E Pluribus Unum
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 8098

                            Originally posted by jtmkinsd
                            You have a right to keep and bear arms...not a right to have cheap and convenient service.
                            You do when the government infringes on free market to begin with by requiring that that constitutionally-protected item be purchased at a store. The requirement of using a store takes "free market" and throws it out the window.

                            By requiring a fee, but not limiting that fee, you create a potential situation where a constitutional right is prohibitively expensive for the poor. There is countless case law that states this.
                            Last edited by E Pluribus Unum; 11-24-2010, 4:49 PM.
                            Originally posted by Alan Gura
                            The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
                            Originally posted by hoffmang
                            12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

                            -Gene
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              kajvid
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 1466

                              Originally posted by Deucer
                              If there was a store around that would waive that fee if I bought $75 worth of ammo or accessories at retail price from them, I'd gladly buy into that deal, and I'd also run every gun I purchased through that store.
                              GREAT IDEA. I too would be all over this.
                              ---------------------------------------
                              8/29/1997

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Matt C
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 7128

                                Originally posted by jtmkinsd
                                Ok...now we're getting somewhere at least. Ok...hire someone...what added expenses are there in this option. Workers comp insurance, payroll, training. Would it be fair to say if I hire someone at $15/hr the actual cost to me is probably in the neighborhood of $22-$25 an hour?
                                Sounds about right to me. Again, I would be happy to break even and get the free advertising, better than free advertising actually since they have to physically come in your store.
                                I do not provide legal services or practice law (yet).

                                The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1