Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

iPhone or Samsung?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    JDay
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2008
    • 19393

    Originally posted by ke6guj
    Google is now scanning all new and existing apps in the markets for viruses and malware.

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399778,00.asp
    Is now? They have been doing this for quite some time.

    Originally posted by Bert Gamble
    I don't know about the Samsung, but I just got an i phone because the guy at Sprint said that if you are new to smart phones, get the i phone, but if you have used them alot, go with the other.

    So far I like it. I can text now because all you have to do is say who to text, and what you want to say. Siri does the rest.

    I am now a dumb guy with a smart phone.
    Android had that feature a year before Apple started acting like they invented it. in fact the iPhone 3gs had that feature until Apple bought Siri, pulled it from the App Store, and made it only available on the 4s. It's all run server side so the phones hardware doesn't matter much, but Apple will not admit it.
    Last edited by JDay; 02-13-2012, 10:18 AM.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

    The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

    Comment

    • #32
      SouperMan
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 1463

      Heck of a lot easier to root and use custom ROMs on a Android based phone

      Comment

      • #33
        Corbin Dallas
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • May 2006
        • 6348

        Just upgraded from an HTC inspire to the Samsung Galaxy S2 skyrocket.

        Damm this thing is fast.
        NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

        WTB the following - in San Diego
        --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
        --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

        Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

        Comment

        • #34
          Iknownot
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2007
          • 2174

          Do you want simple, push the buttons and it works, but less choice in terms of customization for the os (really very little). Go apple. If you want to fiddle, go droid.

          The iPhone is pretty good battery wise compared to most droids too.

          The other thing that is very nice on the 4s is the camera. It takes really nice photos. Some of my iPhone photos rival my canon handheld digital camera. No exaggeration.

          So if a decent camera in your pocket any time you would want one is important to you, you may want to consider the 4s as well.

          Comment

          • #35
            the86d
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2011
            • 9587

            Android is the way to go for a SHTF computing device, especially one with a keyboard.

            A rooted Android with a custom recovery runs circles around any iPhone, AND if something whacks out, you can always restore "just from the card" and no computer needed. You can backup apps, do a full backup, factory, or a recovery in less than 5 minutes each. Try that on an iPhruity device.

            (You can even keep an old one (prior one) in an ammo box, wrapped in plastic and aluminum foil, with some type of Solar charger if you are one of the EMP worriers. If you are concerned about EMPs, then this the way to go, as there will be no computer with iTunes on it if an EMP is deployed.)

            There is a reason that IT Ninjas prefer Android, as they run Open Source Linux as their base (the unsavvy prefer Apple devices). If you can do some research, check to see if Cyanogen(mod) has a build for an Android that you are looking for, and you won't be disappointed. Android has MANY builders of custom ROM builds for Android devices, and everyone I know that has had an Android for over 3 months runs circles around any iPhone. Just ask them to find a contact, and this in itself is faster, and worth it's weight in gold over an iPhruity device.

            Androids typically cost less, check e-bay for a new one, or a used one. Sort by price. I got my 10 year old son his last two off of eBay for <$151 each, and HE will run circles around any iPhruity user.

            Oh, and no iTunes needed to bog your computer down. That in itself, is a plus! Less crap on the computer to backup, restore, and copy duplicated items. No "Track 1"'s either...

            Don't be one of those people with an Apple logo on the back of your vehicle, that lacks the mental capacity to signal. You don't want to be one of "them" do you?
            Last edited by the86d; 02-14-2012, 6:03 AM.

            Comment

            • #36
              Baconator
              Bacon makes it better
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Jan 2009
              • 9547

              Unfortunately, this will be an XD vs Glock or Ak-47 vs AR 15 thread. You have to try both OS and see which one you prefer. I went back and forth between iPhones and Android phones for a while until I decided that I preferred the customability of the Android. You have a lot of options on the Android, and bigger screens. Also Google music will allow you to upload your music collection and listen to it on the go without having to have all the music installed on your phone.

              Comment

              • #37
                MattMorgan
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2012
                • 14

                iPhone by far..............

                Comment

                • #38
                  IrishPirate
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 6390

                  I'm not a techie at all, all that sourcing and rooting and whatnot is totally foreign to me. I've played around with iPhones and Androids and personally, i'm not really sure what the difference is which is why i asked. I've never had enough time to figure out the nuances that make each good and bad.

                  Itunes isn't a bother for me, i have mine set up the way i like it on my computer and i have 3 ipods that i keep different music on. But it would be nice to have the music on the phone without actually having it ON THE PHONE. however, doesn't that require internet access? if so i would need to be in a wifi zone otherwise it would take up my data (unless i go with sprint and get unlimited data) right?

                  i would love having more music in my car so i'll probably switch to sprint anyways so i can at least stream pandora whenever i want
                  sigpic
                  Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
                  People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

                  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Baconator
                    Bacon makes it better
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 9547

                    Originally posted by IrishPirate
                    I'm not a techie at all, all that sourcing and rooting and whatnot is totally foreign to me. I've played around with iPhones and Androids and personally, i'm not really sure what the difference is which is why i asked. I've never had enough time to figure out the nuances that make each good and bad.

                    Itunes isn't a bother for me, i have mine set up the way i like it on my computer and i have 3 ipods that i keep different music on. But it would be nice to have the music on the phone without actually having it ON THE PHONE. however, doesn't that require internet access? if so i would need to be in a wifi zone otherwise it would take up my data (unless i go with sprint and get unlimited data) right?

                    i would love having more music in my car so i'll probably switch to sprint anyways so i can at least stream pandora whenever i want
                    I just left Sprint because the data speeds are ridiculously slow everywhere I travel.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      freonr22
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 12948

                      Irish, some come with a 32g removable sd card. That is a lot of music. I think I have 500 songs and maybe 3.8 gigs. I also have 115 videos and 1200 pics, Nd every thing else also and still have 13 gigs open ... Typing on an iPad, so I am not an apple basher. Also some droid phones have a gig or more of memory, camera is superlative, and easy to use! And I can play with Microsoft office excel and word files. My iPad is not as functional as my phone.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by dantodd
                      We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
                      Originally posted by bwiese
                      They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
                      Originally posted by louisianagirl
                      Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Boo_Radley
                        Member
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 263

                        I've got a Samsung Infuse. I love it, when it works...

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          MBW
                          Member
                          • Sep 2011
                          • 120

                          Avoid the iphone like the plague. Its the most restricted smart phone you can get, and well behind the curve. Its also mind numbingly slow on full 3g bars.
                          If 5% of the ducks could shoot back, you're not going to go duck hunting.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            IrishPirate
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 6390

                            Originally posted by Boo_Radley
                            I've got a Samsung Infuse. I love it, when it works...
                            Originally posted by MBW
                            Avoid the iphone like the plague. Its the most restricted smart phone you can get, and well behind the curve. Its also mind numbingly slow on full 3g bars.
                            this is why i'd love to get my hands on one of each for about a week so i can see how they work first hand. I have friends with each and the reports are as consistent as the weather

                            and yeah, I am starting to feel like i asked a 9mm vs .45acp question
                            sigpic
                            Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
                            People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              the86d
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 9587

                              WiFi-Tether, WifiKill, and FiOSWEPcalculator are some of the reasons why the knowledgeable choose Android. I don't like being told what features are available to me, like Apple does.

                              If I want to tether, I tether. If I don't want to apply an update, I don't. If I enable WiFi-Tethering, "an update" doesn't make me recrack the device to do it. You CAN EVEN kick iPhones off of ANY WiFi with a rooted Android (disassociate them from the AP at the touch of a on-screen button).

                              Open Source/System of Android is my choice, rather than Closed System that limits just about all features that COULD be available to you. Why limit yourself to what the vendor/MFR wants you to do when you can do SO MUCH MORE!?!?!?

                              (More Open Source) Android devices give you Gratis Liberty, Apple gives you what THEY want you to have (like Jerry Brown with Open Carry)... and very little can be changed in regards to that.

                              I am not forced to do things (like update) because the MFR tells me I have to (updating via iTunes is almost required?).

                              WiFi-Tethering can be encrypted with WPA/WPA2 on an Android, can you do that on an iPhone?

                              What about Open Source, non-apple builds/mods of OSuX/iOS from SOURCE CODE?

                              (PLEASE do NOT use WEP for your router's encryption [Maybe the code on the bottom of your router 0-9, and A-F chars only] it is crackable in less than 5 minutes. Even if you limit MAC addy access, MAC addys can be spoofed with only one command.)
                              Last edited by the86d; 02-15-2012, 5:19 AM.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                wikioutdoor
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2012
                                • 317

                                Which Samsung Phone on which network ?

                                I love my galaxy nexus rooted running on 4.04 android - but if I didn't still have my unlimited plan and i wasn't on Verizon that would probably change.

                                I don't think the galaxy s2 or any other Samsung phones are really that great overall especially if you have a data cap. What good is a giant hi def screen if 3 videos uses it all up.

                                The iPhone has a lot of great apps that can be used off data, its more stable and more polished. This comes from the closed world of apple which also provides better battery life with the wired batteries ect.

                                I use Google Voice and Googles free turn by turn alot and I like alot of other cool aps, but it all comes down to your ability to use them. I like using the mhl out on my phone to watch vids and stuff on my tv especially pandora, and do have the wifi mouse and keyboard to use it like a computer as a novelty.
                                Last edited by wikioutdoor; 02-15-2012, 9:55 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1