Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Tactical Excess?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    voiceofreason
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 3785

    "Get off the X" actually works.

    That is closer along the line of tactics than the gear a person is sporting.

    "Tactical manipulations" may be malfunctions, tactical magazine reloads, etc. They're just skills in weapons manipulations. Things that will benefit a person should they find themselves in a gunfight and can do them using very little conscious effort.

    When moving and constantly reholstering on the range, a kydex, drop leg or whatever holster is easier and arguably safer than an IWB daily concealed carry holster to train with.

    They may just wish to focus on other skill sets over the draw/reholster.

    It IS training. Whether it's relevant to their lives and the most likely scenario to unfold in an emergency situation doesn't matter. It's what they choose for themselves to do with their time, energy, and money.

    I thought my friend was bat crazy when I saw him practicing moving with a ballistic shield. After spending a few hours using it and considering its practicality, I wanted one (never got one though). I do see the possibilities and options opened up to a person if you have the time to deploy it.

    In the end, focus your time, energy, money on what YOUR priorities are. Or do what's fun for you.

    I'd love a $3,000 AR, but I can see to break $2,200 no matter how I try to configure one the way I like.
    "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
    John Quincy Adams

    "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
    voiceofreason

    Comment

    • #32
      The War Wagon
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Apr 2011
      • 10294

      Congratulations! You're now READY, for M4C.net!
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #33
        voiceofreason
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 3785

        thereupon you may graduate to AR15.c

        seriously, though, I've learned a lot from those websites
        "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
        John Quincy Adams

        "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
        voiceofreason

        Comment

        • #34
          Bob Hostetter
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 1291

          For many activities, a head-mounted light is great, but you might want to think before using it for a shoot-out in the dark.

          Your light shows you things, but is also a target for your enemies, since it points the way back to you.

          Would you rather that they shoot at your head, or something you can hold away from your body, or even reach around cover with?

          A gun mounted light with a well focused beam can also give you a good idea of where your round will go if you pull the trigger. Center the light on the threat, and you should have a good chance of hitting it if you've mounted your light properly.
          If you are aiming your rifle isn't the light going to be in front of your head anyway? And should you really be just pointing your gun around a corner and shooting at things you can't see? And wouldnt you be pointing a loaded gun at everything (and everybody) if you are using a weapon mounted light to search? Kinda of dangerous isn't? If that's what someone was trained to do maybe the OP was right?
          Last edited by Bob Hostetter; 08-10-2013, 6:39 AM.

          Comment

          • #35
            The War Wagon
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Apr 2011
            • 10294

            Originally posted by voiceofreason
            thereupon you may graduate to AR15.c
            Barfcom?!?!


            Meet the headmaster there...


            sigpic

            Comment

            • #36
              tekrus05
              Member
              • Oct 2012
              • 274

              It does not matter if you're all tacti-cool'ed out or in plain clothes, it all comes down to how you conduct yourself. If someone wants to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on their gear that is their money, their choice. I do not mind it at all, in fact I think it is a good thing, because of tacticool excess there are a lot of blogged/written/video reviews of said items. They are in fact putting money back into some US manufactures and providing jobs for the American market, not all but a good percentage. As stated before just because you do not train with it as a professional should not mean you cannot buy/use it. So, you are saying that because someone doesn't have years of training that they should refrain from using something that you deem to be unnecessary... sorry but the world does not revolve around one person.

              Comment

              • #37
                SilverTauron
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2012
                • 5699

                Originally posted by tekrus05
                It does not matter if you're all tacti-cool'ed out or in plain clothes, it all comes down to how you conduct yourself. If someone wants to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on their gear that is their money, their choice. I do not mind it at all, in fact I think it is a good thing, because of tacticool excess there are a lot of blogged/written/video reviews of said items. They are in fact putting money back into some US manufactures and providing jobs for the American market, not all but a good percentage. As stated before just because you do not train with it as a professional should not mean you cannot buy/use it. So, you are saying that because someone doesn't have years of training that they should refrain from using something that you deem to be unnecessary... sorry but the world does not revolve around one person.
                You know why I like Hickok45's reviews?

                He doesn't pull that kind of BS. He gets the gun, he gets the ammo, and starts knocking down some gongs. If he draws and shoots on the move, he does it in real-world Carhartt flannel, not a make-believe pseudo-operator plate carrier.

                The vehicle analogy doesn't work, because vehicles are tools most of us use daily. Learning how to drive like Schumacher might not win a race, but it could save your life on a slick interstate somewhere. I don't see the connection between rifle to pistol-transitions and self defense. Body Armor's a good idea , but it needs to be CONCEALABLE. Why would you walk around with a vest in the open like a cop on a raid?

                Oh, right , SHTF WROL TETOWAWKI .

                But WAIT! What do you do when you see a random stranger waltzing about with a long arm, a dropleg pistol, and 3K worth of gear in a place without EMS or police coverage?

                Do you : A, say Howdy stranger.
                B, shoot them on sight and take their stuff before they can do the same to you?

                Concealed carry in those very remote situations is even more necessary. That way, you can pretend to be just another unarmed wanderer instead of a walking threat to the community. Threats are killed on sight. Unarmed people are at least questioned, which buys you time to escape or talk your way out of being gunned down by an unseen army.
                Last edited by SilverTauron; 08-10-2013, 7:48 AM.
                The more prohibitions you have, the less virtuous people will be.
                The more subsidies you have, the less self reliant people will be.
                -Lao-Tzu, Tau Te Ching. 479 BCE

                The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Ibefuz
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 551

                  Woth ahead mounted light you are illuminating your entire rifle and reflecting light back at you. thus killing your sight of the rest of your room. thats why weapon mounted lights are at the front end of the gun right near the muzzle, so you can illuminate the room not your gun.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    mikenewgun87
                    In Memoriam
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 7732

                    Originally posted by Happyhappycamper
                    I have zero military experience, I have zero tactical training, but I did watch Blackhawk Down more than once Are you saying that a drop leg holster is a detriment to my ability to stay alive if and when the world as we know it stops functioning? It would seem to me that if a drop leg holster is a good addition for a special forces operator then it would be a good piece of gear for anyone else tasked with carrying a sidearm as well.

                    I grew up on a farm, killing my own deer, tanning hides, growing my own food etc. I know how to stalk prey and shoot a weapon effectively whether it is a muzzle loader, rifle, shotgun, handgun or bow & arrows. Why should I be limited to the gear I am allowed to use just because I have not trained with it for endless months at a time? I'm willing to bet you are not a professional Indy Car driver, but more likely than not you still have a drivers license and commute to work. By your logic you should hang up your keys and walk because you do not have the extensive training to handle your automobile like a pro.

                    Good point dude!!!!

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      retiredAFcop
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 2108

                      Originally posted by Bob Hostetter
                      If you are aiming your rifle isn't the light going to be in front of your head anyway? And should you really be just pointing your gun around a corner and shooting at things you can't see? And wouldnt you be pointing a loaded gun at everything (and everybody) if you are using a weapon mounted light to search? Kinda of dangerous isn't? If that's what someone was trained to do maybe the OP was right?


                      Re: Aiming - One of the reasons that people use items that provide a visible targeting system - laser or focused light source, is that they don't have to use traditional aiming techniques, particularly in close/reactive engagements.

                      There is also the fact that you may be spotlighting them so that someone else (family member/friend/neighbor/teammate) can see them and do the shooting.

                      Re: Safety - Acceptable levels of safety/risk during a fight are going to be very different than in normal life mode.

                      For example, I do not generally ever load a firearm while at my house. In special circumstances, I may do so, even though it raises the danger level of the firearm. I don't normally point my firearms at people - but will point them at someone who I perceive to be a threat. I want the firearm to be dangerous to anyone who us trying to harm me or my family - that's kind of the whole point of having firearms.

                      Another factor is the location and accessibility of the light controls. Do you want your on/off switch to be on your headband, where you have to take a hand off of your firearm to reach up and find it to turn it on or off, or do you want the controls for the light to be located in a place where your support hand can control them, even while supporting the firearm?

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        tekrus05
                        Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 274

                        Originally posted by SilverTauron
                        The vehicle analogy doesn't work, because vehicles are tools most of us use daily. Learning how to drive like Schumacher might not win a race, but it could save your life on a slick interstate somewhere.
                        How about cars that aren't used daily? Like showroom cars and garage queens? Are you saying that those owners should refrain from owning a car simply because they do not use them daily or they are not professional drivers?

                        My point is, there is nothing wrong if people who are dumping their own money into something they enjoy doing whether it is professionally or as a hobby. Hopefully, they are at least learning the basics of firearm safety, if they learn more great for them.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          SilverTauron
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 5699

                          Originally posted by Snowplow
                          If you'd spend more time practicing ( or training) as you refer to it, rather then posting so much, you'd see more value in the very act that you are knocking.

                          Tool proficiency is a perishable skill, but you probably don't realize that since you don't engage in this " frivolous " activity.
                          Except grandmothers and untrained ordinary people seem to do just fine against scumbags without the benefit of advanced tactical training.

                          I've yet to read the "Armed Citizen" article which said the defender had to transition to his secondary to win the fight.
                          The more prohibitions you have, the less virtuous people will be.
                          The more subsidies you have, the less self reliant people will be.
                          -Lao-Tzu, Tau Te Ching. 479 BCE

                          The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            bassbones
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 642

                            You won't win this one Silver. The faux is strong in this group ...

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              monk
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 4454

                              I started looking up WORL but somehow ended up at world star hip-hop.


                              NRA Member
                              SAF Member


                              A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Scratch705
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • May 2009
                                • 12537

                                eh, tacti-cool ninjas are easier to deal with than old farts at the range they keep harping about how better it was "back then" or how much a waste of money those "new guns" are.
                                Originally posted by leelaw
                                Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                                Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                                Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                                Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                                Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1