Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

OC Armory needs our help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    OCEquestrian
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2017
    • 6905

    Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
    I hear they are great for transferring/receiving traditional non controversial firearms and doing SSEs.
    I tried to get them to do an FFL transfer on a Chinese (NORINCO) SKS with a spiker bayonet about 7 years ago. They wouldn't do it because they thought any NORINCO rifle was a named assault rifle in Cali. I showed them that it was an SKS. It didn't matter.. Maybe they were having issues with Cali DOJ at the time? FUD? Don't know but Turners was the same way with NORINCO SKSs. These were NOT illegal 7 years ago. Even if the bayonet was attached. They were only federally banned if imported attached at the very end of the Chinese importation ban.
    Two FFL's tell you you are wrong and here you are anyway. BTW.. there is NO requirement that an FFL do any transaction they thinks "may" be illegal. Why risk your license for less than $50 for some stranger....

    So who did your FFL transfer? I KNOW that Mike is far more knowledgeable than the vast majority of FFL;"s out there on BATF regulations, policies AND oh yeah.. also the LAW.

    Just a little research came up with this...

    If I recall correctly, it has to do with the China import ban on newly made military (non-sporting arms) under the previous president. The same ban affected steel jacketed ammo from China and Russia. SKS rilfe without a bayonet were deemed "sporting arms" and were ok. I think the Russian an other makes of SKS's rifles escaped the issue due to their C&R status. -

    "Here is what happened... and it really is ridiculous!
    When Norinco submitted their SKS for importation to the ATF, they originaly submitted it without the bayonet, as it was not a "sporting feature". They then proceeded to import the entire line with bayonet attached. During the Assault Weapon hysteria of the Bush Sr. Clinton years, someone at ATF remembered this fact and passed down a memo to FFL's that this was indeed an "illegal, non-sporting feature". All the others get around it by being a) a Curio & Relic (Russian Albainian and Yugo) or b) having been submitted with bayonet attached (Romanian). Since Norinco is no longer allowed to import, it's a bit of a moot point."
    Last edited by OCEquestrian; 02-08-2018, 10:08 AM.
    "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

    NRA life member
    SAF life member
    CRPA member

    Comment

    • #47
      Dan_Eastvale
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Apr 2013
      • 10782

      Originally posted by OCEquestrian
      Two FFL's tell you you are wrong and here you are anyway. BTW.. there is NO requirement that an FFL do any transaction they thinks "may" be illegal. Why risk your license for less than $50 for some stranger....

      So who did your FFL transfer? I KNOW that Mike is far more knowledgeable than the vast majority of FFL;"s out there on BATF regulations, policies AND oh yeah.. also the LAW.
      Those two FFLs were wrong.
      NORINCO SKSs with a standard 10 round attached mag are not illegal in California.
      It doesn't matter how many tell me they're banned..
      I knew what's on the Roberti Roos list and those are not on it.
      Nor are they on any BATF list.
      Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 02-08-2018, 10:10 AM.

      Comment

      • #48
        OCEquestrian
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2017
        • 6905

        Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
        Those two FFLs were wrong.
        NORINCO SKSs with a standard 10 round attached mag are not illegal in California.
        It doesn't matter how many tell I'm they're banned..
        I knew what's on the Roberti Roos list and those are not on it.
        Nor are they on any BATF list.
        The bayonet was the problem.. read edited comment above. So who did you find to do the FFL transfer?
        Last edited by OCEquestrian; 02-08-2018, 10:17 AM.
        "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

        Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

        NRA life member
        SAF life member
        CRPA member

        Comment

        • #49
          Dan_Eastvale
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Apr 2013
          • 10782

          Originally posted by OCEquestrian
          The bayonet was the problem.. read edited comment above. So who did the FFL transfer?
          Again, an attached spiked bayonet is NOT illegal on any Norinco SKS.
          I have no issue with OC Armory. It's ok for an FFL to be afraid to touch anything Norinco. But they shouldn't claim that something's illegal when it isn't.
          They should say that they don't want the hassle of looking it up.

          Comment

          • #50
            OCEquestrian
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2017
            • 6905

            Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
            Again, an attached spiked bayonet is NOT illegal on any Norinco SKS.
            I have no issue with OC Armory. It's ok for an FFL to be afraid to touch anything Norinco. But they shouldn't claim that something's illegal when it isn't.
            They should say that they don't want the hassle of looking it up.
            So for the THIRD time.. who knew the law then and did the transfer for you?
            "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

            Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

            NRA life member
            SAF life member
            CRPA member

            Comment

            • #51
              Win231
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2015
              • 2099

              Originally posted by beanz2
              This is the case for many Californians who have been in the hobby for a while. With the Handgun Roster and the Assault Weapons Ban, the choices of interesting guns is severely restricted. The ammo ban restricts your choice in guns further if you have not stocked up on that particular caliber/chambering.
              Which is exactly why blaming gun owners for being "cheap" is foolish. Those who blame gun owners have reality issues.

              Comment

              • #52
                I Swan
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 8770

                I know shops that have made things up to avoid doing a PPT in this case I don't think that was the case. Every shop has their own little quirks and interpretations and comfort level.

                OC Armory is the only gun shop I know that when doing a PPT makes you sign a statement that you are not one of the 2nd tier cops trying to illegally flip an off roster handgun acquired through their exemption from roster.

                I know a shop that is under the impression that a CA FFL can't use the USPS to mail a handgun. Same shop thought Black Talon ammo was illegal in CA I believe that is only the case in San Francisco.

                Comment

                • #53
                  Dan_Eastvale
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 10782

                  Originally posted by OCEquestrian
                  So for the THIRD time.. who knew the law then and did the transfer for you?
                  Doesn't really matter as I knew the law for SKSs in California at that time.. It's not a he said/she said scenario.

                  Was Ghostworks, a Chino Hills FFL at that time.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    OCEquestrian
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2017
                    • 6905

                    Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
                    Doesn't really matter as I knew the law for SKSs in California at that time.. It's not a he said/she said scenario.

                    Was Ghostworks, a Chino Hills FFL at that time.
                    And they did the transfer with the gun in the exact configuration it was in when OC Armory and Tuners declined? Bayonet was not removed? Just curious...a little internet searching has revealed a very confusing situation with regard to the Chinese SKS. It appears all the Euro SKS's were old enough to avoid all this crap by qualifying under the C&R rules. I seem to remember some issue with it all back in the day but I bought a 1950's mfg Russian one with a blade bayonet and thought all the hoopla was over the spiked bayonet design of the chinese SKS's but it clearly was much more complicated than that.

                    FWIW, I found Mike to be pro RTKBA and very attuned to the minutiae of the law and would take you right to the limit of the letter of the law but not one millimeter beyond. Tuners.....the had to dumb down all their transactions to fit into simple policies that store clerks could understand and follow so I get why they said no...
                    Last edited by OCEquestrian; 02-08-2018, 11:25 AM.
                    "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

                    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

                    NRA life member
                    SAF life member
                    CRPA member

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      I Swan
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 8770

                      Originally posted by hunterb
                      A LOT of gun shop owners I know (okay 2 of them) voted for Hillary for this very reason.

                      Panics and Democrats sell guns. Obama was the greatest gun salesman in history....
                      Oh please name these two FFL's.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        DFence
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 1368

                        Originally posted by I Swan
                        I know shops that have made things up to avoid doing a PPT in this case I don't think that was the case. Every shop has their own little quirks and interpretations and comfort level.

                        OC Armory is the only gun shop I know that when doing a PPT makes you sign a statement that you are not one of the 2nd tier cops trying to illegally flip an off roster handgun acquired through their exemption from roster.

                        I know a shop that is under the impression that a CA FFL can't use the USPS to mail a handgun. Same shop thought Black Talon ammo was illegal in CA I believe that is only the case in San Francisco.


                        Pretty sure this is what they were referring to regarding USPS: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...postal-service

                        Maybe just a misunderstanding?




                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Its not paranoid.....its prepared.

                        NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Dan_Eastvale
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Apr 2013
                          • 10782

                          Originally posted by OCEquestrian
                          And they did the transfer with the gun in the exact configuration it was in when OC Armory and Tuners declined? Bayonet was not removed? Just curious...a little internet searching has revealed a very confusing situation with regard to the Chinese SKS. It appears all the Euro SKS's were old enough to avoid all this crap by qualifying under the C&R rules. I seem to remember some issue with it all back in the day but I bought a 1950's mfg Russian one with a blade bayonet and thought all the hoopla was over the spiked bayonet design of the chinese SKS's but it clearly was much more complicated than that.

                          FWIW, I found Mike to be pro RTKBA and very attuned to the minutiae of the law and would take you right to the limit of the letter of the law but not one millimeter beyond. Tuners.....the had to dumb down all their transactions to fit into simple policies that store clerks could understand and follow so I get why they said no...
                          The Norinco spiked issue was a brief federal BATF whoop ti do in early 90's when ALL Chinese gun imports were forever banned. All ended after the ban. AFTER that there has NEVER been any banning of attached spiked bayonets in either Cali or the US. You can attach a spiked bayo to any Norinco SKS in Cali. The only SKS banned in Cali is a NORINCO made for AK mags. Most newer NORINCO SKSs owned in Cali (by many Cal Gunners) are spiked...including their "paratrooper" version... Since bladed variants occurred on earlier serial numbers only..

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Xanthippus
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            • Nov 2014
                            • 555

                            Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
                            The Norinco spiked issue was a brief federal BATF whoop ti do in early 90's when ALL Chinese gun imports were forever banned. All ended after the ban. AFTER that there has NEVER been any banning of attached spiked bayonets in either Cali or the US. You can attach a spiked bayo to any Norinco SKS in Cali. The only SKS banned in Cali is a NORINCO made for AK mags. Most newer NORINCO SKSs owned in Cali (by many Cal Gunners) are spiked...including their "paratrooper" version... Since bladed variants occurred on earlier serial numbers only..
                            ^
                            He is correct.
                            "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

                            "Liberty, as well as honor, man ought to preserve at the hazard of his life, for without it life is insupportable." - Miguel de Cervantes

                            Let your desires and emotions be ruled by reason.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              Capt Jack
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 1046

                              I am up in northern SLO County and we have had several LGSs close this last year, it is truly sad to see the state trying to willfully kill businesses. I sometimes really hate living here because we are totally powerless to stop the Dems and the CA repubs are pretty much RINOs. It is only going to get worse unless something happens at the Federal level to stop this anti-2A crap.

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Yodaman
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 2012
                                • 2749

                                Sorry to hear business is down. Hope they can adapt and stay open


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1