Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gun lock scam

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    The Gleam
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2011
    • 13368

    I've been mulling an idea....

    Has anyone ever seen or heard of the "Love Lock" bridge in Paris, France?

    Editor’s note: In early June 2015, the city of Paris decided to remove the love locks from the Pont des Arts because of the damage they were causing the bridge.


    They accumulated so many recently that one of the railings actually collapsed!

    The dreamy Pont des Arts footbridge in central Paris was so weighed down by the thousands of locks affixed to its grillwork that a section of the fencing collapsed Sunday.


    I would love to find a similar iconic public structure here in California, preferably something that would speak to civil-rights and independence, possibly mid-state or so and very public, so many travelling gun owners could more than likely pass-by or near it than if it were something far north or far south, but in a prominently media-feeding left-leaning city (Los Angeles) whereby gun owners could attach their locks in protest of 2nd Amendment infringements.

    It would essentially say "keep your damned locks" and your control off of OUR 2nd Amendment, translating to so many other aspects of gun control that serve to "lock up" our guns.

    And the irony would be, just like the "love Lock" bridge in Paris, the local government must occasionally come out and cut the locks off due to the overage. They would essentially be destroying the locks they required us to buy in order to remove them which would also show just how easily and futile such locks are to defeat.

    Now - where - where might a good place be....



    -----------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Librarian
    What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

    If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

    Comment

    • #77
      The Gleam
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2011
      • 13368

      Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
      Even Federal law does not mandate that a lock be purchased or a receipt be provided. It just mandates that a lock accompany the handgun when the handgun leaves the store.

      However, the safe affidavit still fulfills California requirements for both handguns and longguns.
      Correct on the Federal part; accompaniment is all that is required.

      But I have not had a single FFL tell me the CA affidavit applies to handguns under the Federal law. And I've bumped into that issue a lot since it's gone into affect and I couldn't find any part of the Federal law that allows for the affidavit to apply in absence of a lock accompanying the handgun when the handgun leaves the store.

      -----------------------------------------------
      Originally posted by Librarian
      What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

      If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

      Comment

      • #78
        Condorguns
        Still lost in the desert
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2007
        • 3302

        Originally posted by halifax
        I thought the receipt was only required if the transferee was providing his own lock not the dealer just giving him one. I give the customer a free lock and only record the make and model on the DROS. I'd have to contest the auditor's interpretation otherwise I'll be in big trouble.
        I got slapped for not having receipts copied for our own locks. If FSD purchased then we were told to copy the receipt even if it was us selling it. I did argue it and as usual got nowhere with them. Even worse it was DOJ and not ATF inspection. I really hate DOJ inspections. You never know what crazy thing they will pull out of their bag of tricks this time. ATF is so much easier to deal with.
        You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.
        Incoming fire has the right of way.

        Comment

        • #79
          Librarian
          Admin and Poltergeist
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 44689

          Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
          Even Federal law does not mandate that a lock be purchased or a receipt be provided. It just mandates that a lock accompany the handgun when the handgun leaves the store.

          However, the safe affidavit still fulfills California requirements for both handguns and longguns.
          Right. I've had some push-back from FFLs on the exact meaning of 'provided with' in
          the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device
          While BATFE continues it's intransigence on documents for proof of safe ownership, a safe is a defined acceptable gun storage option, and it is unreasonable to demand a buyer buy a new safe with every handgun (I get to choose from - there's no Federal mandate on which I must use) or bring in my safe to prove I have it.

          But 'provided with' can easily mean 'has' - no current purchase requirement is in there.

          So, it should be easily defensible to note for the Feds the make and model of a lock, and for CA to have a 'safe affidavit', and to let the gun out the door satisfying both CA and Federal laws.
          ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

          Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

          Comment

          • #80
            Librarian
            Admin and Poltergeist
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Oct 2005
            • 44689

            Originally posted by The Gleam
            Correct on the Federal part; accompaniment is all that is required.
            From your keyboard to the FFL community's eyes ...
            Originally posted by The Gleam
            But I have not had a single FFL tell me the CA affidavit applies to handguns under the Federal law.
            As well they shouldn't.

            Originally posted by The Gleam
            And I've bumped into that issue a lot since it's gone into affect and I couldn't find any part of the Federal law that allows for the affidavit to apply in absence of a lock accompanying the handgun when the handgun leaves the store.

            Fedlaw says nothing at all about how any safety device is to be documented. Apparently, that has been left up to the neglect of the BATF.
            ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

            Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

            Comment

            • #81
              gabo
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2014
              • 28

              so shouldn't bringing in a lockbox with key satisfy the requirements as well ? and why do we need to have bought it within 30 days ??

              Comment

              • #82
                zerodameaon
                Member
                • Mar 2015
                • 243

                Originally posted by gabo
                so shouldn't bringing in a lockbox with key satisfy the requirements as well ? and why do we need to have bought it within 30 days ??
                Taxes, and you can only do 1 handgun in 30 days, so you can't buy one handgun this month then use that same lock when you buy your next handgun a month later. The whole hand written receipt and selling it and buying it back shoots a hole in the whole requirement though.

                Comment

                • #83
                  Librarian
                  Admin and Poltergeist
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 44689

                  Originally posted by gabo
                  so shouldn't bringing in a lockbox with key satisfy the requirements as well ? and why do we need to have bought it within 30 days ??
                  Yes; an approved 'safety device' - see http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist/ - is not limited to only gun locks.

                  Originally posted by zerodameaon
                  Taxes, and you can only do 1 handgun in 30 days, so you can't buy one handgun this month then use that same lock when you buy your next handgun a month later. The whole hand written receipt and selling it and buying it back shoots a hole in the whole requirement though.
                  Right - the '30 days' thing comes out of the Penal Code - 23635(c). Asking 'why would the legislature do such a thing?' leads only to heartache.
                  Last edited by Librarian; 03-31-2015, 5:07 PM.
                  ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                  Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    CSACANNONEER
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 44094

                    Originally posted by The Gleam
                    Correct on the Federal part; accompaniment is all that is required.

                    But I have not had a single FFL tell me the CA affidavit applies to handguns under the Federal law. And I've bumped into that issue a lot since it's gone into affect and I couldn't find any part of the Federal law that allows for the affidavit to apply in absence of a lock accompanying the handgun when the handgun leaves the store.

                    I'm not saying that the safe affidavit works to comply with Federal law. I'm saying that it works to comply with Ca law and the mere presence of a lock without a receipt would satisfy Federal law. Many FFLs think that one thing needs to be used to fulfill both requirements when it doesn't.
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                    Utah CCW Instructor


                    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                    sigpic
                    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                    KM6WLV

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      Scratch705
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2009
                      • 12537

                      law doesn't say u have to keep the lock.

                      i always buy a lock somewhere else, bring it in, then return it on the way home, and just use the cable lock that came with the gun.

                      i still only have exactly the same amount of locks i have as guns. ppt or new purchase.
                      Originally posted by leelaw
                      Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                      Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                      Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                      Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                      Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        retiredAFcop
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 2108

                        Originally posted by Baboosh
                        We donate the lock and ring you up for a Lock at a $0 charge on the invoice. We then have a sign that says 'donate unwanted CA DOJ locks here' which people drop locks they don't want into at a later time.

                        There is no law that says you have to purchase the lock for a certain price, the store can choose to donate one to you and you can then donate a lock back to them on your next visit.
                        Sounds a lot like a recent experience I had. The shop "threw in" the $8 lock, and once I had the gun secured in a case in my trunk, I returned the lock, asking them to "throw it in" on a future sale.

                        The letter of the law is followed, everyone is happy.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1