Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Pump Action vs Semi Auto

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    metalliman545
    Banned
    • May 2010
    • 1257

    So you're telling me if you are breaking into a house, and you know and HEAR that he is armed too you'll risk you're life trying to kill the home owner just to get a few hundred dollars worth of ****? No, really doubt it works like that. Most break ins are there for a snatch and grab. Get in get out get away. If he was going in there to kill and look for a fight I'm sure kicking in the front door would be his first choice (room clearing style)

    Comment

    • #17
      mif_slim
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Apr 2008
      • 10089

      ^ Im not too sure about the city I live in. the past half year or so, there has been like 9 home invasions that involved tieing the home owners up and beating them half to death, taking their kids to scare them, taking their license to say if they report they will die etc etc...its been elevated and I hate it. Good thing our counties good with CCW!

      For the HD questions. I'll choose the one closest to me. I've practice cycling the gun with the charge handle and it works just as good as a pump. I have a slight advantage because Im a lefty and charging the bolt requires me to use my support hand which my barrel will still be on target. Even if I dont have a round, I think the barrel pointed at the BG will scare the crap outta em to hide or get out.
      Originally posted by Gottmituns
      It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

      Comment

      • #18
        Paradiddle
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2003
        • 1743

        Originally posted by gobi fish
        ya gotta pratice with it though, dont short stroke it when it counts...
        This.

        The Internet myth of pump shotgun reliability is a curious one to me. I'd like to know how many of the guys who advocate pumps have competed in some form (3 gun, 2 gun, etc) with their shotgun. Short stroking a pump while under pressure creates such a mess - and it's much easier to do then you think.

        Plus - pumping a shotgun is great when you are standing but try it kneeling, prone, or behind cover - you have to change your sight picture to work the gun.

        I'd also like to know if the same group that thinks pumps are more reliable also uses a bolt action or pump action rifle for HD?

        I'll take a semi that I've practiced with and run 500 round of my favorite ammo through.

        Jeff

        Comment

        • #19
          aippi
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 2302

          Give away your postion? I say this to anyone who makes such a rediculouse statement. You are not a Nija Delta Farce Operator and a hoard of Jamacian Posse shooters has not just invaded your house like the ending scene in Scare Face. Charge a semi auto and you get close to the same sound, so what are you going to do, go out to face the Posse with an empty chamber???????? Ride the bolt home slowly on that semi and you may not get lock up and nothing happens when you pull the trigger and the Posse is going to get you.

          99.9% of the time when someone enters your home they are there to steal and thought you were not home. Simply turning on a light and calling out will send them running. Calling out "I am armed" then rack the pump "And on the phone with the Police, get out of this house NOW" will get that other .1% diving out the window. Stop watching so much TV and movies and deal with the subject with some common sence.
          JD McGuire, Owner
          AI&P Tactical
          Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
          Mossberg LE Armorer
          www.aiptactical.com
          www.tacticalgunslings.com
          If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

          Comment

          • #20
            stockranger
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2009
            • 962

            Forget about the HD shotgun. Get a 28" BBL semi and shoot some clays. Get yourself a handgun for the house. THe shotgun is not going to open up much at indoor distances. Your better off with quick easy handling of a hand gun. You can grab it out of the nightstand and fire easily from bed or with an attacker ontop of you. By the time you stand up to grab and fire the shotgun the intruder has already killed you with his handgun.
            People who hug trees shouldn't live in wooden houses!

            Comment

            • #21
              lrtraut
              Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 292

              Go with whatever you are most comfortable with and best fits your budget.

              Comment

              • #22
                usedto
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 847

                I have an old single shot.

                If you're any good, you only need one anyway.
                Rule #1 - The Boss Is Always Right
                Rule #2 - In The Event The Boss Is Wrong, Refer To Rule #1

                Comment

                • #23
                  Kodemonkey
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 2904

                  Originally posted by CmpsdNoMore
                  I chose a pump (Mossberg 500) because I wanted to shoot everything from low recoil target loads to magnum buckshot and slugs. Sure, there are semis that can handle them, but I'd rather just not having to worry about the "what if" of semi-autos.

                  I don't have any experience with changing barrels on a semi-auto, but it only takes about 45 seconds with my Mossberg 500, which is nice.

                  Take a look at both, try and rent one or try one a friend owns. See what feels best for you.
                  My mossberg 930 autoloader is about the same. Takes about 45 seconds to change the barrel. No tools required. My boss bought an 18 inch for his 930 for home defense. But at the price of a barrel I probably would have just bought a pump. Would have been $50 more for a whole new shotgun.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    gose
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 3953

                    Originally posted by Paradiddle
                    This.
                    The Internet myth of pump shotgun reliability is a curious one to me. I'd like to know how many of the guys who advocate pumps have competed in some form (3 gun, 2 gun, etc) with their shotgun. Short stroking a pump while under pressure creates such a mess - and it's much easier to do then you think.
                    Plus - pumping a shotgun is great when you are standing but try it kneeling, prone, or behind cover - you have to change your sight picture to work the gun.
                    I'd also like to know if the same group that thinks pumps are more reliable also uses a bolt action or pump action rifle for HD?
                    I'll take a semi that I've practiced with and run 500 round of my favorite ammo through.
                    Jeff
                    +1.
                    I think Ive seen more jams and issues with pumps than with semis at matches and that's supposedly people who practice quite a bit....

                    Personally, I'd rather take a pistol than a shotgun though. Handling a shotgun (or any long gun) in tight quarters is not an easy skill to master.
                    With Oden on our side.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      fishboy
                      Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 193

                      either one with an 18 inch barrel

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        tuna quesadilla
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 5147

                        This thread contains SO. MUCH. FAIL.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          aippi
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 2302

                          I have never, not one single time short stroked and 870. If a shooter can not keep his composer under stress the type of weapon will not matter. He can limp wrist a semi-auto handgun, fail to complete a full trigger pull on a revolver or he can fail to solid shoulder a semi-auto shotgun and get a misfeed. Add dropping hammers on empty chamber, yanking the hell out of triggers with the safety on and all the other mess they do. To disallow a platform as dependable as the pump shotgun because of the failures of some novice shooters is wrong headed.

                          If you can't train enough to use your firearm of choice get a baseball bat for defense.

                          I will not trust my life to any semi-atuo Shotgun. This is why my 11-87P is a range toy and lives in my gun safe and 870's protect me and mine. Understanding the design of these weapons would go a long way in heping some of you decide. Lack of knowledge about these designs and how a shotgun may be deployed in a fight leads to wrong headed thinking.
                          JD McGuire, Owner
                          AI&P Tactical
                          Remington Law Enforcement Armorer
                          Mossberg LE Armorer
                          www.aiptactical.com
                          www.tacticalgunslings.com
                          If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Sicarius
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 2917

                            Semi autos are unreliable?!?... maybe if you are using walmart bulk birdshot as home defense... Any brand name 00 or slug will cycle a quality semi reliably. Just be sure to test the rounds you will be using at the range and like anything, just keep it clean.
                            Rack the pump to scare them?!?... I don't want to give my position away or give them the knowledge that I have a firearm in the house. Say they run away... they now know that you have at least 1 firearm and can come back later when nobody is home to steal your guns. I rather catch the perp and call the police so they don't rob somebody else or come back some other date.
                            Kevin

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              SparrowHanger
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 347

                              I can see the value of having a pistol as a secondary HD weapon (easy to get to and can even be fired from the bed) but think the SG is the primary HD weapon. I also have alsways placed store in the verical butt stroke, thught I don't see the need for a bayonette..

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                crackerman
                                Senior Member
                                • May 2009
                                • 2441

                                Originally posted by usedto
                                I have an old single shot.

                                If you're any good, you only need one anyway.
                                Hope your bad guy doesn't have a partner then
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1