Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 Reliability: Myths vs Facts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • missiontrails
    Calguns Addict
    • Nov 2008
    • 7879

    Originally posted by Freq18Hz
    I'm a bit confused as to why you are choosing to argue this point, as I generally agree with everything else you stated in your original post.

    Would you not agree, that this +/- 20% that we are discussing, or perhaps even 5%, is indeed an increase in accuracy, if only a small percentage?

    Have you ever shot a 1911 from a rest that had such tight slide/frame, and barrel/bushing fitment that it would not cycle? Have you checked the accuracy on such a gun(s), and measured that accuracy as it changes over time? Does your 30,000 round 1911 shoot as accurately as your brand new one? Do you find that the longer you own a 1911, the less reliable it becomes? You've never heard of a barrel bushing cracking on a 1911?

    You mentioned "repeatability in mechanical accuracy", but isn't that exactly what we are talking about, when we call a gun accurate? Especially for folks shooting outside of a lab, a gun is accurate when the POI can be repeated for several shots.

    I would submit to you, that the overall mean potential of accuracy in a 1911, is absolutely related to tight fitment of barrel/bushing, barrel hood/frame fitment, and slide/frame fitment. This in turn is absolutely, and directly tied to reliability. 1911's that are fit "stupid tight", or some would say "not fit", are indeed not reliable. They malfunction, and can experience a higher rate of failure due to increased stress on components. Throw in environment variables like debris, temperature changes, overly viscous lubricants etc. and they absolutely can and will have issues functioning properly. The mean failure/malfunction rate over a period of time is exponentially increased.

    As I stated before, this is why manufacturers like Wilson, Brown, etc. seek to find a balance. They fit a 1911 "right", no break-in required. Tight enough to be "accurate" within specific distances, but reliable in terms of fitting-related malfunctions. Loose enough tolerances to operate with some amount of debris introduced into the working surfaces of the machine. This is also why Les Baer (especially on his 1.5" guaranteed guns) requires a minimum break in on a new gun, and they are more accurate from the bench than a Wilson or a Brown.

    It's no secret, that machines built to lower tolerances are often far more 'reliable' and resistant to malfunction due to environmental factors than ultra high precision designs. Precision increases efficiency, which in this case results in higher "accuracy". It also means that when you throw crud into the equation, the machine can fail. This is why if you change your oil every 3,000 miles in your honda, it will last 300k miles. It's also why our recently rebuilt 1964 Corvette apparently ran 85k original miles (during rebuild mechanic discovered this when rebuilding the engine) with a factory Friday lug someone accidentally dropped into the cylinder (embedded into the cylinder wall over time) without an appreciable loss in horsepower.

    I'm really not sure why you chose to argue a point without providing any specific data. I'm confident that my original statement is indeed correct. If you disagree, feel free to educate me on this subject. It would be great if you could provide specific examples to show exactly how manufacturing tolerances (tightness/looseness of parts fitment) does not directly affect the accuracy potential, and reliability potential of a 1911.

    For the purposes of your explanation, let's go ahead and rule out the common culprits (ammunition, recoil spring strength/slide weight ratio, extractor setup, magazine design). I'm really looking forward to learning something new about the 1911.

    Thanks,

    -Freq
    Right on the money. Exactly why I won't waste my time with a enthusiast grade 1911, because I'm not shooting in contests or from the bench looking for bragging rights from a $2500 gun that shoots 1.5" sandbag groups. Futthermore, all the more reason I'm not interested in a "looser" built 1911 either, because mechanical accuracy isn't going to eclipse a modern design .45ACP pistol. Neat technology and all, and great history behind them, but the design is OLD, heavy, and has single stack low amount of firepower..... plus SAO with no 100% safe way to quickly uncock a hammer on a live round. Still the best trigger though.
    Last edited by missiontrails; 08-13-2013, 4:05 PM.

    Comment

    • Fishslayer
      In Memoriam
      • Jan 2010
      • 13035

      Originally posted by Damn True
      Not sure about the grown part.
      "Older but not up..."
      "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
      You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
      You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


      Originally Posted by JackRydden224
      I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
      Originally posted by redcliff
      A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

      Comment

      • bulletblood
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2013
        • 753

        Originally posted by missiontrails
        Right on the money. Exactly why I won't waste my time with a enthusiast grade 1911, because I'm not shooting in contests or from the bench looking for bragging rights from a $2500 gun that shoots 1.5" sandbag groups. Futthermore, all the more reason I'm not interested in a "looser" built 1911 either, because mechanical accuracy isn't going to eclipse a modern design .45ACP pistol. Neat technology and all, and great history behind them, but the design is OLD, heavy, and has single stack low amount of firepower..... plus SAO with no 100% safe way to quickly uncock a hammer on a live round. Still the best trigger though.
        So what you're basically saying is the 1911 doesn't suit your tastes.

        From your perspective, the 1911 is for an enthusiast target shooter who not only places importance on a good trigger but on the historical value of his gun. Furthermore, the only 1911 worth owning is a high end one, but doing so would turn you into a snooty show off rich boy with no way to de-cock his load.
        Do I look like I'm ready for homework?

        Comment

        • missiontrails
          Calguns Addict
          • Nov 2008
          • 7879

          Originally posted by bulletblood
          So what you're basically saying is the 1911 doesn't suit your tastes.

          From your perspective, the 1911 is for an enthusiast target shooter who not only places importance on a good trigger but on the historical value of his gun. Furthermore, the only 1911 worth owning is a high end one, but doing so would turn you into a snooty show off rich boy with no way to de-cock his load.
          Yep, not making statements for anyone else. There are too many other modern combat pistols that are engineered to deliver 10-15 rounds of 45ACP downrange, no questions asked, no excuses, in harsh conditions, with minimal maintenance, and with good hand held accuracy. Just speaking for me.....just not interested in one of the many clones based on 100 year old technology and design. Yes, all modern designs have borrowed from the old ones, but they have evolved with use of modern materials, and refinements. To each his own, buy and shoot what you enjoy.
          Last edited by missiontrails; 08-13-2013, 8:03 PM.

          Comment

          • zfields
            CGN Contributor
            • Aug 2010
            • 13658

            Originally posted by bulletblood
            So what you're basically saying is the 1911 doesn't suit your tastes.

            From your perspective, the 1911 is for an enthusiast target shooter who not only places importance on a good trigger but on the historical value of his gun. Furthermore, the only 1911 worth owning is a high end one, but doing so would turn you into a snooty show off rich boy with no way to de-cock his load.
            I'll admit it . That's my reason.

            Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2
            Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

            10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

            Comment

            • jonzer77
              • Jul 2010
              • 8525

              Originally posted by bulletblood
              So what you're basically saying is the 1911 doesn't suit your tastes.

              From your perspective, the 1911 is for an enthusiast target shooter who not only places importance on a good trigger but on the historical value of his gun. Furthermore, the only 1911 worth owning is a high end one, but doing so would turn you into a snooty show off rich boy with no way to de-cock his load.
              Yet still feels the need to come in and spread FUD and contribute nothing of value.......
              Originally posted by barrage
              That's because Excelsior threads are like toilet bowls. They're made for crapping in and occasionally pissing on the side of.

              Comment

              • missiontrails
                Calguns Addict
                • Nov 2008
                • 7879

                Originally posted by jonzer77
                Yet still feels the need to come in and spread FUD and contribute nothing of value.......
                I've owned them, and they do nothing for me. I have come to understand that they are more "enthusiast" platform than modern "practical" platform by today's standards. I'm not an ethusiast, many are, and that is great. Don't get pissed that I aired my opinion, because that's all that it is.

                My most recent 1911 "design" was a SA Loaded Target 9mm, and that heavy sharp-edged hunk of stainless did NOTHING better than the Walther P99AS that I also had at the time, which was more comfortable, lighter, not begging for lube and maintenance, and uh, about half the price.
                Last edited by missiontrails; 08-13-2013, 8:38 PM.

                Comment

                • jonzer77
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 8525

                  Originally posted by missiontrails
                  I've owned them, and they do nothing for me. I have come to understand that they are more "enthusiast" platform than modern "practical" platform by today's standards. I'm not an ethusiast, many are, and that is great. Don't get pissed that I aired my opinion, because that's all that it is.

                  My most recent 1911 "design" was a SA Loaded Target 9mm, and that heavy sharp-edged hunk of stainless did NOTHING better than the Walther P99AS that I also had at the time, which was more comfortable, lighter, not begging for lube and maintenance, and uh, about half the price.
                  Not mad, I just had no idea I was talking to a real operator
                  Originally posted by barrage
                  That's because Excelsior threads are like toilet bowls. They're made for crapping in and occasionally pissing on the side of.

                  Comment

                  • missiontrails
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7879

                    Originally posted by jonzer77
                    Not mad, I just had no idea I was talking to a real operator
                    It's funny jonzer, for each person who makes stupid comments like that, usually a 1911 myopian, there is another person who sees them for what they really are. Also, I don't mean "what they really are" as a bad, or even a good thing....they are what they are. Nice poke with the operator comment though.

                    Comment

                    • zfields
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 13658

                      Originally posted by missiontrails
                      It's funny jonzer, for each person who makes stupid comments like that, usually a 1911 myopian, there is another person who sees them for what they really are. Also, I don't mean "what they really are" as a bad, or even a good thing....they are what they are. Nice poke with the operator comment though.
                      I hate when I agree with you
                      Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                      10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                      Comment

                      • CK_32
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 14369

                        Man this threads awesome






                        Keep on a guessing. You guys got both my age wrong. And still haven't figured out which 1911 it is.


                        You guys are getting warmer
                        For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                        What's Your Caliber??


                        My Youtube channel

                        Comment

                        • zfields
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 13658

                          Originally posted by CK_32
                          Man this threads awesome






                          Keep on a guessing. You guys got both my age wrong. And still haven't figured out which 1911 it is.


                          You guys are getting warmer
                          SA loaded.
                          Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                          10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                          Comment

                          • jonzer77
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 8525

                            Originally posted by missiontrails
                            Not sure what handguns CK_32 really owns, because according to his post here, he just turned 21. If he has actually owned a 1911, its been for about 10 minutes. He claimed to be 18 in 2010, yet claims to have bought a Glock 17RTF in 2011 and posted a range report.



                            Now in this post he claims to be 23.....so from 2010 to 2013 he aged 5 years.....

                            http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post11948159
                            Originally posted by CK_32
                            Man this threads awesome






                            Keep on a guessing. You guys got both my age wrong. And still haven't figured out which 1911 it is.


                            You guys are getting warmer
                            Well it is hard to get it right when you lie about your age........I thought only women do that
                            Originally posted by barrage
                            That's because Excelsior threads are like toilet bowls. They're made for crapping in and occasionally pissing on the side of.

                            Comment

                            • CK_32
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 14369

                              Originally posted by zfields
                              SA loaded.

                              Z's been watching my posts.. I've only posted about it in 20 threads.

                              And yes it is in 10 day... But yes I do OWN a 1911...
                              For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                              What's Your Caliber??


                              My Youtube channel

                              Comment

                              • missiontrails
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7879

                                Originally posted by zfields
                                I hate when I agree with you
                                Lol, I don't always aim to please. In 1911, look at the rifles that ruled the world........lever actions and bolt actions.....and of course the approximate birth date of the 1911 pistol. Now, 2013......... SCAR's, REPR's, AUG's, AR's, AK's, M249"s etc........... and also HK 45's, USP 45's, XDm 45's, G21 Gen 4's, and FNX 45's among others............ that's called evolution.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1