Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock 19 Obsolete?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NorCalRT
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 1327

    Originally posted by static2126
    A Gen 5 or Gen 4 G19 is pretty close to a Gen 3 G19.

    I personally love the Gen 2 G19s and hate finger grooves lol
    Gen 4 added back straps, not a big deal if you don't need them, but if you do it can completely change the grip on the gun. Gen 5 has no finger groves, slide is cut for easier holstering and I like the slide finish better, IMO gen 5 to me are far superior to gen 3 or 4.

    Comment

    • BradleyAbrams
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2012
      • 3390

      Originally posted by static2126
      A Gen 5 or Gen 4 G19 is pretty close to a Gen 3 G19.

      I personally love the Gen 2 G19s and hate finger grooves lol
      Yes, same here.

      ..
      The "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" was not created by the 2nd Amendment; it was merely an acknowledgement of an existing, un-Alienable Right

      UN-ALIENABLE - Defined by Webster as: incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred .


      Joseph Johnston - 4/14

      -

      Comment

      • SIGSHOOTR
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2011
        • 657

        MAC is obsolete... the clown behind those BS "torture tests".
        sigpic
        We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
        For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
        Shall be my brother-- Henry V

        Comment

        • ACfixer
          Calguns Addict
          • Feb 2012
          • 6095

          I'm a guy in a free state that can carry whatever I want, and at least 50% of the time I carry a gen 3 G19. I just have a thing for guns that haven't jammed in 20 years I suppose, I guess I'm obsolete.

          MAC is a clown.
          Buy made in USA whenever possible.

          Comment

          • 003
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 3436

            It annoys me that I am ever responding to this ridiculous post, but if the Glock 19 is obsolete, what does that say about John Browning 1911.

            Both my wife and I have our own 19's. Completely satisfied in all respects.

            Comment

            • crossout
              Junior Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 56

              The biggest thing here is to define obsolescence..

              By definition, the g19 is not obsolete. It is however antiquated and outdated. More recent offerings have better ergos, function, equal reliability, modularity, etc. The fact that Glock has failed to modernize their design in any meaningful way shows that they are a slowly dieing breed unless major updates are made. Additionally the fact that many departments, agencies, and military are either moving away from Glocks or have turned their head to them tells all. I believe they are held a float by:

              A. They're aftermarket support updating their platform with the upgrades and mods that people want.
              B. By their fanboys (who are also supported by aftermarket mods)
              C. By their name alone and irrational popularity (brand name)

              Comment

              • Mezcalfud
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2007
                • 1503

                I like a lot of pistols for various reasons but anytime a noob says "what should I get?" The answer is a glock 19. Easy answer!

                Comment

                • tuna quesadilla
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 5147

                  Originally posted by crossout
                  The biggest thing here is to define obsolescence..



                  By definition, the g19 is not obsolete. It is however antiquated and outdated. More recent offerings have better ergos, function, equal reliability, modularity, etc. The fact that Glock has failed to modernize their design in any meaningful way shows that they are a slowly dieing breed unless major updates are made. Additionally the fact that many departments, agencies, and military are either moving away from Glocks or have turned their head to them tells all. I believe they are held a float by:

                  A. They're aftermarket support updating their platform with the upgrades and mods that people want.
                  B. By their fanboys (who are also supported by aftermarket mods)
                  C. By their name alone and irrational popularity (brand name)
                  What are some things you could see Glock doing to modernize their design?

                  Comment

                  • crossout
                    Junior Member
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 56

                    Originally posted by tuna quesadilla
                    What are some things you could see Glock doing to modernize their design?
                    Many things. A lot of which are shared with MACs opinions.

                    1 better ergonomics. The pistol is very blocky. Compared to the vp9 and current m&ps the Glock is like holding a brick.

                    2 better magazine design. Their design is so inefficient with the polymer coating. 2011 magazines have the same dimensions but hold 3-4 more rounds. Cz mags are slimmer and hold the same capacity. As mac said, Shield mags are same as g43x but hold 50% more!

                    3 better stock trigger! There's absolutely no reason aftermarket should be the ultimate solution. Massive failure on this front. And let's be honest the overall stock trigger design is trash. Sure it's simple but it's crap.

                    4 modulatory. At this point in the game there's no reason you shouldn't be able to buy an internal frame and also it in a 17 grip. Or 19 grip. Or 26 grip. Then you can swap slides all the same. If p80 and zevv have has the basic frame work for this why can't Glock?

                    5. Better grip texture and slide textures. Plain and simple no description needed

                    6. Better ****ing sights common man! I know Americans like football but these are rediculous! (I realize this may be generational or dependant on the version you get) bit they're still plastic!

                    7. I think it's time we see something completely new from Glock. Not another gun that looks like a Glock but has a new number.i realize most guns look pretty much the damn same but Glocks been sticking with this brick design since the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

                    More Modern pistols for reference. Vp9, ppq, kanic tp9, cz p07 / p09, archon b, m&p 2.0, p320. Hell even ruger is killing it with their 5.7! Laugo alien (I'll take my alien over 10 or 20 Glocks any day!) I'll even toss the FN pistols in there..

                    There's a lot of future with polymer framed striker fired pistols. But i feel like Glock is holding the industry back. Keeping the bar Low.
                    Last edited by crossout; 03-04-2021, 11:45 PM.

                    Comment

                    • tuna quesadilla
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2006
                      • 5147

                      Originally posted by crossout
                      Many things. A lot of which are shared with MACs opinions.

                      1 better ergonomics. The pistol is very blocky. Compared to the vp9 and current m&ps the Glock is like holding a brick.

                      2 better magazine design. Their design is so inefficient with the polymer coating. 2011 magazines have the same dimensions but hold 3-4 more rounds. Cz mags are slimmer and hold the same capacity. As mac said, Shield mags are same as g43x but hold 50% more!

                      3 better stock trigger! There's absolutely no reason aftermarket should be the ultimate solution. Massive failure on this front. And let's be honest the overall stock trigger design is trash. Sure it's simple but it's crap.

                      4 modulatory. At this point in the game there's no reason you shouldn't be able to buy an internal frame and also it in a 17 grip. Or 19 grip. Or 26 grip. Then you can swap slides all the same. If p80 and zevv have has the basic frame work for this why can't Glock?

                      5. Better grip texture and slide textures. Plain and simple no description needed

                      6. Better ****ing sights common man! I know Americans like football but these are rediculous! (I realize this may be generational or dependant on the version you get) bit they're still plastic!

                      7. I think it's time we see something completely new from Glock. Not another gun that looks like a Glock but has a new number.i realize most guns look pretty much the damn same but Glocks been sticking with this brick design since the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

                      More Modern pistols for reference. Vp9, ppq, kanic tp9, cz p07 / p09, archon b, m&p 2.0, p320. Hell even ruger is killing it with their 5.7! Laugo alien (I'll take my alien over 10 or 20 Glocks any day!) I'll even toss the FN pistols in there..

                      There's a lot of future with polymer framed striker fired pistols. But i feel like Glock is holding the industry back. Keeping the bar Low.
                      Those are some good observations. I agree most with the sights and the modularity. I agree 100% it is utterly ridiculous to ship a pistol in the year 2021 with plastic sights. Same with the modularity--I'd love if they had even semi-modular, where all Glock pistols shipped with a G26 size skeleton frame, and you could put inserts over it to go from 26 > G19 > G17 or even larger.

                      I bought an M17 last year to dip my toes into the whole Sig modular thing, and it's pretty dang cool. I'm considering--CONSIDERING--switching over
                      fully to the Sig platform someday. But I'm very, very heavily invested in Glocks. The outrageous price of Sig mags is the main thing holding me back. Pre-pandemic pricing you could get Glock 17rd mags for around $20 on sale; P320 mags are more than double that

                      Comment

                      • FISHNFRANK
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 1029

                        Roster

                        Originally posted by crossout
                        Many things. A lot of which are shared with MACs opinions.

                        1 better ergonomics. The pistol is very blocky. Compared to the vp9 and current m&ps the Glock is like holding a brick.

                        2 better magazine design. Their design is so inefficient with the polymer coating. 2011 magazines have the same dimensions but hold 3-4 more rounds. Cz mags are slimmer and hold the same capacity. As mac said, Shield mags are same as g43x but hold 50% more!

                        3 better stock trigger! There's absolutely no reason aftermarket should be the ultimate solution. Massive failure on this front. And let's be honest the overall stock trigger design is trash. Sure it's simple but it's crap.

                        4 modulatory. At this point in the game there's no reason you shouldn't be able to buy an internal frame and also it in a 17 grip. Or 19 grip. Or 26 grip. Then you can swap slides all the same. If p80 and zevv have has the basic frame work for this why can't Glock?

                        5. Better grip texture and slide textures. Plain and simple no description needed

                        6. Better ****ing sights common man! I know Americans like football but these are rediculous! (I realize this may be generational or dependant on the version you get) bit they're still plastic!

                        7. I think it's time we see something completely new from Glock. Not another gun that looks like a Glock but has a new number.i realize most guns look pretty much the damn same but Glocks been sticking with this brick design since the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

                        More Modern pistols for reference. Vp9, ppq, kanic tp9, cz p07 / p09, archon b, m&p 2.0, p320. Hell even ruger is killing it with their 5.7! Laugo alien (I'll take my alien over 10 or 20 Glocks any day!) I'll even toss the FN pistols in there..

                        There's a lot of future with polymer framed striker fired pistols. But i feel like Glock is holding the industry back. Keeping the bar Low.

                        Comment

                        • static2126
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Mar 2013
                          • 5619

                          For what it is worth imo

                          Glock - fantastic innovation then rested on laurals. Has been passed by but they have such a huge after market it makes it easy (I heard from a holster maker glocks outsell m&p 25 vs 1)

                          That said they are now getting surpassed due to lack of innovation. Give it time and if it continues you will see it accelerate.

                          I carry a G48 or G19 daily. Own a G43

                          I considering moving to m&p2c vs the G19. Thinking of selling the G43 for another P365xl

                          Love the G48 still. My S15s have been reliable.

                          Hard to make the switch (having shot and carried G19s for prob over 20 years now) but everytime I am shooting a G19 recently I am wondering why I need to work harder to compensate for the system. I shoot a G48 way more accurately and I am a good G19 shooter, just takes more work due to ergos

                          It used to be that everyone was willing to put up with Glocks lack of ergos due to reliability. Most modern day striker fire handguns are just as reliable after initial teething issues for nee models. Unf Glock hasn't been immune to teething issues
                          Last edited by static2126; 03-05-2021, 7:55 AM.

                          Comment

                          • Regular guy
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 691

                            I consulted my G19s, they say they still function just fine.

                            Comment

                            • DrewTheBrave
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2011
                              • 1472

                              Technically speaking, all my firearms are obsolete, but they were affordable, they shoot straight, and don't jam when I need them, so I'm happy.

                              I tend to prefer obscure or hidden gems when it comes to firearms, but even I eventually settled on Glock because they're just so damn easy to shoot well. I tried a the following:
                              RIA 1911 Commander (jam-o-matic)
                              Ruger SR9c (it was ...fine)
                              Sig P6 (my example was heavily worn and had some minor issues that I didn't want to deal with. It's an excellent platform, and I hope to find another some day)
                              CZ PCR/P01 (also excellent, but I mostly bought Glock mags during freedom week)
                              I finally settled on a G26 because I shot it just as well as my full-sized guns, and thought it would be hilarious fun to use my freedom week mags in a compact gun. Spoiler alert - it is hilarious fun!
                              WTB: Beretta 92/M9 series (non-railed), Remington 1100 LT-20,

                              Comment

                              • SharedShots
                                Senior Member
                                • Feb 2021
                                • 2277

                                Originally posted by AFTII
                                Because they are not sold out everywhere? https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...2019%20gen%203



                                I'm not trying to be a wise ***, but they are out there if you look. The problem is the CA dealers that gouge the hell out of you to import them into CA.
                                The problem isn't and never has been dealers gouging customers, it's the laws passed with the approval, tacit or otherwise of the people of California many of which are our neighbors, friends, family and so on. The laws created the artificial supply restrictions and business will always meet that challenge by raising prices. Contrary to what many might think, a gun shop is not a philanthropy but if anyone thinks it should be, by all means list your guns at your cost in the marketplace and don't forget to throw in a box of ammo too.

                                As someone else noted, there is a roster in Ca. All the innovation in the world doesn't matter if it's unavailable to you so talking about a gun being obsolete is a pretty obsolete argument.

                                Glocks have been a love them/hate thing since the first one was made eclipsed only by the 45acp vs 9mm arguments and the competing recipes for the best bore cleaner.
                                Let Go of the Status Quo!

                                Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

                                Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

                                Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1