Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Frog Lube poor performance

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    Wordupmybrotha
    From anotha motha
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2013
    • 6965

    Originally posted by Brutmor
    Anyone use Ballistol? I haven't seen it mentioned here.
    Ballistol works great. Cleans great, and the action gets smooth like buttah. And the lubrication lasts a LONG time even after hundreds of rounds. The downside is, it smells like black licorice drowned in vinegar. I could smell that residual stank for weeks. My trunk stank too. Resorted to putting sheets of Bounce to counteract the smell. If you like the smell of black licorice, you'll love Ballistol.

    Comment

    • #62
      fritztkatt
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2015
      • 1061

      I may have to recant the offer for the 20th. I'll be shooting division match this year and may have to attend classes or such that day. Definitely going to make it out to the range on the 13th though.

      Comment

      • #63
        Redeyedrider
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2014
        • 1744

        I have been EXTREMELY happy with Slip 2000 Trigger Cleaner and Slip 2000 EWL Lubricant as my go to combination for cleaning.

        You can wipe it dry after cleaning or leave it wet. It doesn't matter. Doesn't gum up and doesn't attract dirt/debris.

        LOVE IT!
        We have too much to lose and so we'll lose it all - sd_shooter
        I try to frame my response to be useful to those observing, with little regard to convince the opponent of my awesomeness - EM2
        It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's impossible to win an argument with a stupid person - Whitefang
        TRUMP/NUNES

        Comment

        • #64
          golfish
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Mar 2013
          • 10124

          Originally posted by meno377
          I don't know how cold you mean, but any lube will have problems. If you're in weather well below freezing, many suggest not to use any lubricant at all.


          Below NSFW.
          I found this guy searching "pine tar" on new years eve. Yeah! I'm married.

          Ya got to love the "chick magnet" I'd give 2k for one with only 950 miles on it
          It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
          Happiness is a warm gun.

          MLC, First 3

          Comment

          • #65
            meno377
            ?????
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jul 2013
            • 4911

            Originally posted by fritztkatt
            Anyone want to run a test with me? If everyone wants to cough up some ammo we can have a shoot out between similar weapons and lubes.

            I'm willing to bet my glock, ar, and 1911 lubed up with marine grease will run just the same as clp, slip, frog lube, whatever you got.

            Does anyone have a lube that actually stays on AR gas rings and doesn't get burnt off? The (walmart brand) marine grease I put on my guns stays put, obviously lubes well, and doesn't burn off with the exception of gas rings.

            Even the locking lugs on my ar stay fresh looking after 200 rounds (grease is blue out of the tube), stays pretty blue. It doesn't creep and puddle on top of the buffer inside the safe, doesn't spray all over inside the slide of the glock or ar upper/lower... Haven't really shot my 1911 much (para isn't exactly quality), but no lube related issues.

            Anyone is welcome to meet up with me at the next Pala carbine match and we can see what happens. I'll shoot idpa the weekend before (13th and 20th of feb iirc). I'm happy to actually do field tests, even if it's just the 150 rounds of an idpa match or 250 or so of the carbine shoot.

            I think it would serve well to at least compare lubes in the short term, although I think anything will work without fail at such a low round count. I'd be more interested to see where the lube stayed, where it burnt off, discoloration, smell, that kind of stuff.

            To the cold weather discussion: that's why the military specifies a different weapons lube for arctic warfare... it's just a thinner lube so the weapons don't seize up. I doubt they are capable of the same lube properties as the thicker "normal" versions. Iirc there are also hot weather lubes that are slightly thicker at room temperature.

            AFAIK none of those are applicable between constant 32*f and 120*f (give or take).
            I may join in for this. I think FL has a high enough flash point that it doesn't burn on the bolt also. I will see if I can get away for this. If so I will PM you.
            Originally posted by Fjold
            I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
            Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
            -Milton Friedman


            sigpic

            Comment

            • #66
              meno377
              ?????
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Jul 2013
              • 4911

              Originally posted by fritztkatt
              I may have to recant the offer for the 20th. I'll be shooting division match this year and may have to attend classes or such that day. Definitely going to make it out to the range on the 13th though.
              Just saw this comment. Either way I will PM you if I can get out there on the 13th.
              Originally posted by Fjold
              I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
              Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
              -Milton Friedman


              sigpic

              Comment

              • #67
                meno377
                ?????
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Jul 2013
                • 4911

                Originally posted by golfish
                I found this guy searching "pine tar" on new years eve. Yeah! I'm married.

                Ya got to love the "chick magnet" I'd give 2k for one with only 950 miles on it
                Absolutely.
                Originally posted by Fjold
                I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
                Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
                -Milton Friedman


                sigpic

                Comment

                • #68
                  AeroEngi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 2887

                  Once again, I'll just leave this here...

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    Shenaniguns
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 6158

                    I thought this was bumped from January of 2012 lol
                    My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      hunterb
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Jun 2011
                      • 3796

                      I use Soul Glo. Leaves a nasty film but man do my guns look good!
                      Originally posted by johnthomas
                      ...The hardest part getting rid of crap is getting started.

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        Swagman00
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 4149

                        I've made great use of this stuff for three important functions:



                        1. Automotive wheel bearings (obviously)

                        2. AK, AR, and handgun slides (Light coat).

                        3. Main ingredient in my cast boolit lube. A little smokey, but bore is squeaky clean!

                        I'll skip the gimmick FL.
                        Anyway...here's a dearth of reasoning to ponder: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Guns

                        Originally posted by movie zombie
                        and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          bigbearbear
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 5378

                          Originally posted by Brutmor
                          Anyone use Ballistol? I haven't seen it mentioned here.
                          Originally posted by wordupmybrotha
                          Ballistol works great. Cleans great, and the action gets smooth like buttah. And the lubrication lasts a LONG time even after hundreds of rounds. The downside is, it smells like black licorice drowned in vinegar. I could smell that residual stank for weeks. My trunk stank too. Resorted to putting sheets of Bounce to counteract the smell. If you like the smell of black licorice, you'll love Ballistol.
                          Hah hah....same experience here. I bought a bottle to try and man, both wife and I hated the smell (wife shoots too). I ended up using it as a household lube for sliding windows and doors instead.

                          For the record, I used to use Froglube on my pistol and shotguns. Never really had any issues with it, except for the price. It is pretty expensive and because wife and I both shoot our shotguns on almost every weekend, it got a little expensive. So I switched to the slightly cheaper SEAL 1 CLP instead, which worked just as well and smells nice too. This lasted for a while until I encountered G96 Complete Gun Treatment that was on sale at the range wife and I shot at. It is cheaper and is more convenient in its aerosol can, it smells great too so I've been using it ever since.

                          G96 has a DoD certified version that is a synthetic based product, I think I will try it once my can of G96 Complete Gun Treatment is used up.

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            tacos3
                            • Nov 2013
                            • 499

                            I use FL on all my polymer guns where the rail system isn't full length. Never had an issue. I put some on one of my 1911's and when it got cold, the slide got sluggish on my 9mm 1911 with a stock recoil spring which is very light. I couldn't shoot it at a match and had to switch to my M&P Pro CORE.

                            I still use FL for short frame railed guns and Breakfree CLP on 1911's.
                            "never bother your enemy while he is making a mistake" ......Napoleon

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              onelonehorseman
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2012
                              • 4888

                              I've never found any need to use anything other than Break free CLP on semi auto pistols. For some of the rifles I occasionally use some silicone grease in addition to the CLP. Never tried FL, but have heard a fair bit of bad review.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                Jimi Jah
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2014
                                • 19244

                                I've found good uses for all my ex-lubes here. Rem Oil in the spray can is used for door locks, excellent.

                                Frog Lube is used on the garage door rails, as intended. Works great, slippy, no squeaking.

                                The guns get Slip 2k products. Their grease does stay on the gas rings until you clean it off.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1