Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anti LEO

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    anthonyca
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2008
    • 6316

    Originally posted by East County
    I'm all in favor of bashing the politicians!

    No problem talking about a bad encounter with an officer, I know it happens. I should tell you about all the "bad" encounters I've had with dirtbags, but that is my job right? Of course most people only ever encounter a law enforcement officer during a "bad" situation. The victim: You're house was just burglarized, your car stolen, your dog kicked by the neighbor and there is the cop when you're already pissed at the world so that cop standing in front of you is now your focus and he's not solving your issues fast enough. Or the Suspect: of course he hates the cop that's taking his freedom away. Of course we knew this going into the job and we get paid to do it. I've been doing this job for the past 25 years and fully understand how these things work and I'm ok with it. In fact last year on the way to the Police / Fire games I got jacked up at a Border Patrol checkpoint. They had my Trap shotgun laying on the asphalt, I was pretty much an A-Hole myself. So it looks like we all are very much a like.



    Although I still don't get the OC crowd, but its ok to agree to disagree.
    Ok now I may be LEO bashing. Any border patrol agent that would man a random check point and search American citizen's cars deserves bashing. I would be looking for a new job before I did that. Is that "bashing"?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Union...70812799700206

    Originally posted by Wherryj
    I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?

    Comment

    • #32
      Falconis
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 1688

      I think so. Most are ordered there by their bosses and they all have job descriptions whether or not they like them. Goes back to politicians and bosses of the peons that make policy.

      Comment

      • #33
        jdberger
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Oct 2005
        • 8944

        Originally posted by Falconis
        My question is, when the roster law suit comes into full force, if it hasn't already, which Officers here are willing to testify that the safe handgun list makes no sense what so ever. I can't cause my department would railroad me to the unemployment line.

        I guess I should read up on that more.
        You need a better union.....

        Stay tuned. I just might have an idea....
        Rest in Peace - Andrew Breitbart. A true student of Alinsky.

        90% of winning is simply showing up.

        "Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

        sigpic
        NRA Benefactor Member

        Comment

        • #34
          Bobby Ricigliano
          Mit Gott und Mauser
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2011
          • 17439

          Just about Every LEO I know is planning to leave California upon retirement and this AG opinion is an example why

          Comment

          • #35
            geeknow
            Lifetime Contributor #1
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Aug 2007
            • 3144

            I think topgun is more right than wrong.

            I also believe that LE are, generally speaking, good people doing a hard job. Yes, aberrations exist in equal measure. None of us is perfect. The 'stakes' with LE are simply higher.

            Having said that, I believe this whole 'us vs. them' thing is real. It has been manufactured through a series of exemptions gifted and powers conferred through the legislative process. Didnt say you (LE) asked for them, but have them, you do.

            But why?

            I think its more a function of the 'role' that you play, as designed by those 'elites' at the top. To wit, LE is the group that separates the two.

            Basically, by making 'us' all mad/distrustful of 'you', we are reminded that someone else is really pulling the strings (them).

            Who was it that said "Absolute power corrupts, absolutely"?

            Comment

            • #36
              Notorious
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 4703

              Not all departments issue guns and mags. Not all departments that issue guns require you to only use that gun. Some departments issue nothing to reserves. These are 3 situations where a LEO might have to buy his own weapon for duty. Then you get into the off-duty and backup gun which no department I know of issues. So that is another fun we have to buy for "work" purposes because most backup weapons are our off-duty weapons as well.

              I don't have a department authorized AW. I have my own RAW and I am not giving those up just to make a point to join with those who don't have their own RAW. I also don't begrudge those officers who have department authorized AW's just because they can. Good for them. To me, the more legal AW's out there in the hands of good guys, the better. Who cares why or how?
              I like guns

              Comment

              • #37
                cacop
                Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 310

                People are upset at the government these days and we are the most visible representatives of government. We are out and about all day every day. People when driving around have to obey traffic laws because of us. It's like trying to sneak out of the house late at night and not wake up dad and his leather belt.

                Fire guys just play xbox until something happens.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Lrchops
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 448

                  Im not giving up my legally purchased and registered assault rifle. The AG opinion is cannon fauder. Once they design a law, then from that point on, anyone (LE) who purchases an assault weapon will have to comply. The people of California need to start making more noise about gun rights and get the media on board. The media is the only outlet that can sway political decision.

                  The AG should have to prove that all these so called 'assault rifles' have been used to commit violent crimes in the state. About .001% of all the assault rifles have been used in crimes here in Kalifornia. Maybe 1 out of 1,000,000,0000.

                  Bank of America Robbery in Los Angeles taught us that LEO's should be carrying heavy combat rifles and the good citizens should have them as well. When LAPD needed Combat rifles where did they go? To a civilian gun shop to secure arms and ammunition!!! We are the Militia. We need to stand against this left wing socialist government who is trying to disarm us and make us an extension of Canada and Mexico.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    jdberger
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 8944

                    Originally posted by Lrchops
                    Im not giving up my legally purchased and registered assault rifle. The AG opinion is cannon fauder. Once they design a law, then from that point on, anyone (LE) who purchases an assault weapon will have to comply. The people of California need to start making more noise about gun rights and get the media on board. The media is the only outlet that can sway political decision.
                    The people? How about the rank and file LEOs?

                    We, the people can only do so much. We can talk about how armed civilians make safe neighborhoods. How public safety is better served by criminal control rather than gun control. How the Roster is a ludicrous extortion scheme. How guns and magazines are simply tools. About the utilitarian aspects of AWs.... But as soon as we do, the antis trot out some Police Chief who states the "view of law enforcement" that police are the only ones with the training to safely handle guns.

                    Street cops could easily counter the propaganda of the Chiefs by loudly and clearly stating that they oppose gun control in all its forms. They've First Amendment rights. They have strong Unions to represent them should retaliation occur.

                    We, the people, are currently working our asses off. We could use a little help.
                    Rest in Peace - Andrew Breitbart. A true student of Alinsky.

                    90% of winning is simply showing up.

                    "Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

                    sigpic
                    NRA Benefactor Member

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Falconis
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 1688

                      and a lot of us would love to help. i do what i can and i'll leave it at that. Let me give you a prime example of how retaliation works with a department. Department finds some reason to fire you or if you're lucky suspend you on some bogus charge cause you spoke out against the leadership. The Union in most cases are powerless to stop it and our only recourse is arbitration where the union helps and we have our own legal representation. Problem is, by the time your fired and when you get to arbitration, to when you are back on the job (assuming everything goes well) you are talking anywhere from 12 to 26 months without a paycheck.

                      On top of that, most departments have policies against us (as police officers, not private citizens) making statements for political causes or "bringing the department into disrepute".

                      And there's another layer, most court decisions have affirmed that people do have a right to speak out, but they are not entitled to the job if they wish to. (all depending on the political situation at hand of course)

                      Cops do what they can for the causes they believe in. It's not like you guys are being left out in the wind. But we also have to counter some internal forces as well.

                      By the way, you still believe we should give back our rifles for full retail ?

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        AragornElessar86
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 1735

                        Originally posted by BigDogatPlay
                        Yeah, actually they do retire. And after three years out of the job the POST certificates are no longer valid. To go back to work a retiree of more than three years would have to go through a re-certification course. When I had to re-certify in 1999, as I'd been out of the business for a few years doing other things, there was a retired sheriff's lieutenant who'd landed a job as a small town COP. He'd been retired about five years and even though he was going to be a chief, he had to re-certify.
                        Interesting. Well my FIL is only 2 years out so maybe that's why he says that.
                        Wish I was rich instead of so damn good looking.
                        Originally posted by stix213
                        I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
                        Originally posted by Just Dave
                        Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Lrchops
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 448

                          Originally posted by jdberger
                          The people? How about the rank and file LEOs?

                          We, the people can only do so much. We can talk about how armed civilians make safe neighborhoods. How public safety is better served by criminal control rather than gun control. How the Roster is a ludicrous extortion scheme. How guns and magazines are simply tools. About the utilitarian aspects of AWs.... But as soon as we do, the antis trot out some Police Chief who states the "view of law enforcement" that police are the only ones with the training to safely handle guns.

                          Street cops could easily counter the propaganda of the Chiefs by loudly and clearly stating that they oppose gun control in all its forms. They've First Amendment rights. They have strong Unions to represent them should retaliation occur.

                          We, the people, are currently working our asses off. We could use a little help.
                          When I say the PEOPLE, I mean everyone! Many Street Cops do counter the gun control opposition. Many Sheriff's oppose gun control laws. Many police administrators are in the pockets of the unions and left wing politicians and support gun control for political reasons. It is a tough battle.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Samuelx
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 1558

                            What Lrchops said - PEOPLE is EVERYBODY. Why point fingers at "rank/file LEOs"? Don't blame us! How many "rank/file LEOs" do you think there are in the US - total? Even if EVERY LEO thought the same way and voted the same way - it wouldn't make a rat's *** worth of difference compared to All the PEOPLE. IF you want better laws, better people to govern society, etal you need to get EVERYONE on board - not just one minute segment of society...

                            Btw, the anti-LE sentiment I see here, other places online, and in the real world from otherwise "normal" people is absolutely Pathetic.
                            Last edited by Samuelx; 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              jdberger
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 8944

                              Originally posted by Samuelx
                              What Lrchops said - PEOPLE is EVERYBODY. Why point fingers at "rank/file LEOs"? Don't blame us! How many "rank/file LEOs" do you think there are in the US - total? Even if EVERY LEO thought the same way and voted the same way - it wouldn't make a rat's *** worth of difference compared to All the PEOPLE. IF you want better laws, better people to govern society, etal you need to get EVERYONE on board - not just one minute segment of society...

                              Btw, the anti-LE sentiment I see here, other places online, and in the real world from otherwise "normal" people is absolutely Pathetic.
                              I believe that you've completely misunderstood everything that I've posted.

                              There are plenty of folks who stand up and make positive contributions toward gun rights every day. However, LEOs, by virtue of their positions in the community, have a bully pulpit that they can use. I'd simply like to see them use it.
                              Last edited by jdberger; 03-04-2011, 1:44 PM.
                              Rest in Peace - Andrew Breitbart. A true student of Alinsky.

                              90% of winning is simply showing up.

                              "Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

                              sigpic
                              NRA Benefactor Member

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Falconis
                                Senior Member
                                • Feb 2008
                                • 1688

                                JD, read my above post. Like I said, departmental policies are restrictive for a lot of agencies regarding that. Also a lot of cities have adopted ordinances that outright prohibit police officers from politicking their causes.

                                If you're talking about an off duty officer, then he just becomes a private citizen and a lot of us do what we do anyways.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1