Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading Club Eastbay

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mrbigsteel
    Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 224

    Originally posted by sheshotme
    YES! sign me up. PM sent.
    You're now on the mailing list. It is that easy!
    Join: Diablo Rod & Gun Club - Reloading Group | CRPA

    Comment

    • rojocorsa
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2008
      • 9139

      What do I need to do to check out this club?
      sigpic
      7-6-2 FTMFW!

      "...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."

      Comment

      • liber
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2014
        • 1868

        Originally posted by rojocorsa
        What do I need to do to check out this club?
        Send a PM with your email in it to mrbigsteel and he'll get you on the mailing list.

        FWIW, I think it would be ok for you to bring your 550 to the club and maybe the next meeting would be good to show how to setup the 550. It's really up to ghettojet, it's at his shop. But since you're in San Ramon, you must be close. I drove up from South Bay the last meeting. If ghettojet sees this maybe he can comment.
        sigpic
        --------- liber --------

        From my cold dead end mill...

        Comment

        • Oxfordbp
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2012
          • 72

          Hey all! I will be the new owner of a Marlin 336 30-30 and am
          Thinking of reloading. Never done it before, and don't have equipment. Would this club be a good idea for me? I've watched videos and get the jist.

          Thanks!

          Comment

          • XDJYo
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2012
            • 7119

            Originally posted by Oxfordbp
            Hey all! I will be the new owner of a Marlin 336 30-30 and am

            Thinking of reloading. Never done it before, and don't have equipment. Would this club be a good idea for me? I've watched videos and get the jist.



            Thanks!

            My schedule hasn't meshed with this reloading club yet, but I think any type of instruction, insight and encouragement is a good thing. Videos are great, but not the best thing to train.


            Sent by a Monkey in Outer Space
            Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
            Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
            Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
            M&P 15 (Mine)

            Comment

            • Eljay
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 4985

              It sure can't hurt. When you start reloading it's definitely good to have somebody you can ask questions to.

              Books are still a good resource too - if you check on Amazon for "The Beginner's Guide to Reloading Ammunition" by Steven Gregersen it doesn't cover every scenario but it's just what it sounds like - it covers all the basics, and it's a lot more readable (and short!) than the comprehensive manuals. Then if you want to read the comprehensive stuff at least you'll have some context.

              Comment

              • glocklife34
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2014
                • 505

                Hi Eastbay reloading club,

                Been planning getting into reloading for a long time and finally i have decided this time around ill be reloading due to the cost of factory ammo. Mainly i will l be reloading just a 9mm and 40 s&w to start with. Im leaning on a Dillon Press a xl650. I like the 650 auto indexing, which decreases the possibility of double charge and for additional convenience. It will be my first reloading machine and hoping to get it by this month.

                Any of you guys have time to help me if i have all my equipment ready to install?

                Thank you in advance=)
                To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them

                Comment

                • mrbigsteel
                  Member
                  • Feb 2014
                  • 224

                  Originally posted by glocklife34
                  ...Im leaning on a Dillon Press a xl650...It will be my first reloading machine...
                  Glocklife34, I believe the prevailing opinion by reloading "experts" is to learn with a single stage press before going to a progressive press. That is not to say that you can't do it, just that it's usually not advised. There is a lot more happening with one pull of the handle on a progressive press. Don't be in too big of a rush and risk your fingers and eyes. For you to decide of course.

                  We demonstrated a Dillon XL650 at our last club meeting and we will probably do so again in the future.

                  The next meeting might be a good place to meet some people who could help you. I will post soon about the next meeting (probably October) and some changes that are coming to the club.
                  Join: Diablo Rod & Gun Club - Reloading Group | CRPA

                  Comment

                  • Gryff
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2006
                    • 12693

                    Originally posted by mrbigsteel
                    I believe the prevailing opinion by reloading "experts" is to learn with a single stage press before going to a progressive press. That is not to say that you can't do it, just that it's usually not advised. There is a lot more happening with one pull of the handle on a progressive press. Don't be in too big of a rush and risk your fingers and eyes. For you to decide of course.
                    It might be optimum to learn on a single-stage, but it isn't foolish to learn on a progressive. Lots of people did (including me). If you are methodical and take your time, the complexity of a progressive isn't an insurmountable barrier.
                    My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

                    Comment

                    • Eljay
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4985

                      With a progressive you definitely need to be disciplined. Get whatever help you need. Initially run the cases through one at a time. When you run your first test batch just make 10 rounds and shoot them before proceeding. It's really easy to set yourself up to pulling a 100 bullets which is NO fun...

                      Comment

                      • mrbigsteel
                        Member
                        • Feb 2014
                        • 224

                        Originally posted by Gryff
                        If you are methodical and take your time, the complexity of a progressive isn't an insurmountable barrier.
                        I'll agree. Just advising caution in general and to not leap into progressive without due thought. Ultimately he is going to have to decide what is right for him.
                        Join: Diablo Rod & Gun Club - Reloading Group | CRPA

                        Comment

                        • bruceflinch
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 40155

                          I work Swing Shift so am unable to attend meetings.
                          But I live in Bay Point & have been reloading 17 years.
                          So if one of you have the same time problem, I could help you out.
                          2-650's & a rock chucker.
                          Please PM, so as not to sully up this thread.
                          Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

                          I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

                          Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

                          Secret Club Member?.

                          Comment

                          • glocklife34
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2014
                            • 505

                            I have been reading a watching videos and i think dillon 550 or 650 isnt that hard to learn but i know the fact that i need to be very careful since it will be my first press. But im anal about anything so i think ill be fine on progressive. But this decision was not decided by myself only i have read alot of forums on beginning progressive and some people advise single stage some progressive but majority is single stage and to the fact that it is safer than progressive. But for me i guess as long as your safe and careful on anything ill be fine on progressive and im mechanically incline and i have made a research for months.
                            To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them

                            Comment

                            • ghettojet
                              Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 318

                              Originally posted by mrbigsteel
                              Glocklife34, I believe the prevailing opinion by reloading "experts" is to learn with a single stage press before going to a progressive press. That is not to say that you can't do it, just that it's usually not advised. There is a lot more happening with one pull of the handle on a progressive press. Don't be in too big of a rush and risk your fingers and eyes. For you to decide of course.

                              We demonstrated a Dillon XL650 at our last club meeting and we will probably do so again in the future.

                              The next meeting might be a good place to meet some people who could help you. I will post soon about the next meeting (probably October) and some changes that are coming to the club.

                              there is nothing dangerous about learning to load on a progressive. not paying attention to what you are doing will cost you fingers and eyes, not the type of machine.

                              Comment

                              • Eljay
                                Veteran Member
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 4985

                                There's just a lot going on with a progressive and it's easy to get distracted. The key is to remember your biggest job is to visually inspect the powder level every drop to sanity check it's reasonable. Do this even if you have some kind of automated check (that beeps).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1