Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading 9mm — I never thought it would happen...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    the86d
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2011
    • 9591

    I got 115gr FMJ 9mm lower than $0.131/rd on my last purchase ($6.547/BX/50).

    I got 124gr PC 9mm down to $0.103/rd on my last purchase ($5.15/BX/50).

    124gr FP plated I got down to $0.108/rd on my last purchase ($5.43/BX/50).

    Hard to beat those numbers, if you can find any retail ammo right now to compare...

    Comment

    • #17
      Kurgan
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2012
      • 4935

      Been reloading 9mm ammo for matches for years.
      My mother always told me to be careful what you ask for.

      Just one more piece of parental advice I stupidly ignored.

      <shrug>

      Comment

      • #18
        2761377
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2013
        • 2134

        one path I will never take.

        plus, a 10:1 ratio of factory loaded ammo to SPP makes it a dead end.
        MAGA

        Comment

        • #19
          bergmen
          Senior Member
          • May 2011
          • 2493

          Originally posted by ar15barrels
          How do you reload 22LR?
          It can be done:

          So I decided to get all survivalist and take a shot at trying to reload .22LR ammo from scratch...


          I won't go that far, too easy to stock up on factory rounds (or it was).

          Dan

          Comment

          • #20
            divingin
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2015
            • 2522

            Originally posted by ar15barrels
            How do you reload 22LR?
            There's a couple of videos floating around about guys reloading primers.

            FWIW I've been reloading everything I shoot except 22LR. I think the last centerfire ammo I bought was in 2015.

            Comment

            • #21
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57182

              Originally posted by bergmen
              Originally posted by divingin
              There's a couple of videos floating around about guys reloading primers.
              I know it can be done, but it's not realistic for me to do in any volume.
              I have more important projects to spend my time on.
              I'll keep buying commercially produced primers and rimfire ammo.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #22
                Bastard
                • Jul 2009
                • 2209

                I started loading 9mm the last time things went nuts - even after things has calmed down I just kept loading 9mm I had/have primers and ultimately settled on loading a 124gr Hitek coated bullet, which I also have on hand... I don't care if I never shoot factory center fire again, the only ammo I buy is Shotshell and 22lr and I actually have 2 shotshell presses, but I don't have the room to set up or the components

                Comment

                • #23
                  bigbossman
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 11281

                  I always reload for any caliber I shoot, even if it close to break-even. Something about having a surfeit of ammo on-hand at all times appeals to me. I have been easily able to sit out ever shortage of ammo and components since the mid-90's
                  Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                  "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    bohoki
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 20826

                    i started casting bullets for 9mm when store bought ones went over a nickel

                    bullseye powder is cheap since i use so little 3.5 grains it seems to last forever primers are about the only expense so i can make 9mm for around the same price as buying 22lr

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      the86d
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 9591

                      Originally posted by Bastard
                      I started loading 9mm the last time things went nuts - even after things has calmed down I just kept loading 9mm I had/have primers and ultimately settled on loading a 124gr Hitek coated bullet, which I also have on hand... I don't care if I never shoot factory center fire again, the only ammo I buy is Shotshell and 22lr and I actually have 2 shotshell presses, but I don't have the room to set up or the components
                      THAT is what SHE.... I mean I said...
                      I really only bought 12-gauge and .22lr in the last 2 years, aside from (I think it was) 200 9mm when I picked up my 9mm rifle (no BG-TAX applied, as I already did the BG check for the rifle).

                      BUT, saw a few hundred .357 Mag on the shelf, and did my first $1 background TAX a few weeks ago... I WANTED the brass for some more DIY 158gr Semi-jacketed HP, of the FULL-HOUSE variety...
                      For $0.233/rd "THEY" RAWK MORE!

                      I've also got a shotshell press I have yet to mount, and some primers to try my luck at. Just need some wads, and shot...

                      Planning on building a wood workbench in the garage, so soon...

                      Right now I reload in my computer/reloading room, air-conditioned, if needed in the summer. Indoor ammo-canned-primers last longer.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        jimmykan
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 3103

                        This was a fun thread about reloading unconventional shotgun shells:



                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        I have reloaded all my pistol/rifle ammo for the last 20some years but bought the shotgun shells because those were not worth reloading with how cheap you could get them at walmart.
                        Now walmart has stopped selling ammo in CA and I have taken up hunting.
                        I find I need more specialized shotshells than are commonly/easily available.
                        Now that I need more expensive shotshells, it's finally worth reloading shotshells.
                        The sky is indeed falling.

                        How do you reload 22LR?

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          CSACANNONEER
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 44094

                          While I haven't started reloading for a few calibers and cartridges yet, I did just buy dies for 7.5 Nagant last week. Now, I need to find a mold or have one custom made. I also have everything to load .22lr but, I have yet to try it.
                          NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                          California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                          Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                          Utah CCW Instructor


                          Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                          sigpic
                          CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                          KM6WLV

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            bohoki
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 20826

                            Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                            While I haven't started reloading for a few calibers and cartridges yet, I did just buy dies for 7.5 Nagant last week. Now, I need to find a mold or have one custom made. I also have everything to load .22lr but, I have yet to try it.
                            yea i hear ya i havent built up enough 762x25 and 32 s&w brass yet i figure you could use the same molds too the lee 32 molds

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              the86d
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 9591

                              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                              While I haven't started reloading for a few calibers and cartridges yet, I did just buy dies for 7.5 Nagant last week. Now, I need to find a mold or have one custom made. I also have everything to load .22lr but, I have yet to try it.
                              Why? Just get some .25 ACP Phoenix Arms pistols for $150, including DROS, and reload THOSE... Even my lady does...

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                DueceMcGurk
                                Senior Member
                                • Jul 2016
                                • 884

                                I have always reloaded 9mm comp ammo. Different loads for 1911, 9mm PCC and Steel Challenge.

                                When I pulled a forearm muscle 2 years ago, my powder puff 9mm loads let me continue shooting pistol.

                                Easy choice to reload 9mm versus watching Oprah reruns. lol

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1