Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anyone getting the Samsung Galaxy s8?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    707electrician
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 2889

    So you were still paying on your old phone and you were able to trade it in and get the new phone for half off the monthly device charge without paying off the old phone?
    Brian Kelly

    PM me for electrical work

    Comment

    • #17
      sholling
      I need a LIFE!!
      CGN Contributor
      • Sep 2007
      • 10360

      I preordered the S8 this morning and will take advantage of the $99 deal on a 256GB memory card and AKG Bluetooth headset. I don't really care about the free Gear VR and controller but it's free.
      "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

      Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

      Comment

      • #18
        KillZone45
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 2570

        Originally posted by 707electrician
        So you were still paying on your old phone and you were able to trade it in and get the new phone for half off the monthly device charge without paying off the old phone?
        I had once device payment left. I paid that off, well I guess I was supposed to. I ended up paying $50.xx last night, not quite sure what that was for since tax should have been more. But whatever.

        It was 23 months ago I got the S6. One of the promotional deals with the S8 through verizon was to trade in an S6 and instead of paying $35/month for the s8 I just pay $15. The person on the other side of the line last night said that $15/month was good for the 2 years it takes to pay the phone off. Maybe it was some deal in conjunction with Samsung since the screwed up the Note 7 so bad?
        Nikita Khrushchev said"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism. "

        Comment

        • #19
          KillZone45
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 2570

          Originally posted by sholling
          I preordered the S8 this morning and will take advantage of the $99 deal on a 256GB memory card and AKG Bluetooth headset. I don't really care about the free Gear VR and controller but it's free.
          I think Im just going to try and sell the Gear VR through CL or something, I wont be buying any games for it. If I can make a few bucks then so be it.
          Nikita Khrushchev said"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism. "

          Comment

          • #20
            AregularGuy
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 2792

            Already ordered the S8+. Switching from the S7 Edge on T-mobile to Verizon. Couldn't get steady data speed's on T-mobile and can't stand it anymore. I went from 100 Mb/s in Oklahoma to 3Mb/s outside T-mobile arena in Vegas (!) and couldn't get a signal in some casinos, to .60 Mb/s here in the East bay to 15Mb/s on other days in the Bay. I'm getting $480 for my trade in. Still have a second S7 Edge that is brand new since I got them buy 1 get one free.
            All posts dedicated to the memory of Stronzo Bestiale

            "You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
            How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

            ---ARegularGuy

            NRA Patron Member

            Comment

            • #21
              707electrician
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2010
              • 2889

              Originally posted by KillZone45
              I had once device payment left. I paid that off, well I guess I was supposed to. I ended up paying $50.xx last night, not quite sure what that was for since tax should have been more. But whatever.

              It was 23 months ago I got the S6. One of the promotional deals with the S8 through verizon was to trade in an S6 and instead of paying $35/month for the s8 I just pay $15. The person on the other side of the line last night said that $15/month was good for the 2 years it takes to pay the phone off. Maybe it was some deal in conjunction with Samsung since the screwed up the Note 7 so bad?
              I ask because I got the S7 edge about 6 months ago. While it isn't a bad device, it isn't what I wanted. I had intended on getting a note 7 but that wasn't an option so I settled for this phone. If I didn't have to pay this off first to get the S8, I would definitely trade it in.
              Brian Kelly

              PM me for electrical work

              Comment

              • #22
                NYT
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Apr 2011
                • 3811

                Originally posted by Marauder2003
                S5 is my first smartphone and will stay that way until there is a new one with memory card slot, water resistant (IP67), wireless charging and use replaceable battery.
                i doubt that will ever happen. the new phones have super fast charging abilities and the industry moved towards external battery chargers and cloud storage.

                Comment

                • #23
                  6foot8
                  Member
                  • Oct 2016
                  • 180

                  I still have the Note3 and was about to pull the trigger on the IED7. Had it in my Verizon shopping cart and everything. Decided to finish the purchase the next day because I wanted to sleep on the decision. The next day is when Verizon officially pulled the device.

                  I'm going to have to check out the S8 and see what it's about. My Note3 still does a decent job even if the battery is a little needy lately.
                  It's tough being a tall guy in a world built for average people.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Dave626
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 1038

                    Note 3 Here checking in.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Donkeypunch0420
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 1460

                      Just pre ordered one for the wife yesterday. She's sick of our S6's. I'll hang onto mine for a bit longer. Guys at TMobil were nice, they let us play with their S8 floor models they just got in. They hadn't even programmed it for demo yet. We went in just looking at the regular S8, ended up getting the S8+. Seems like a very nice phone all around. She uses her phone a lot more than me so that warrented getting the plus. I use my tablet at home so I probably won't need the bigger screen, or longer battery life. They made very efficient use of the screen, so it almost feels a bit like the edge (in a good way). Camera took great pics for both front and back cameras. There's a dedicated button for "Bixby". Not sure how necessary that is, but I don't really use those kind of functions anyway.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        MJB
                        CGSSA Associate
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 5925

                        When is the ship date?
                        One life so don't blow it......Always die with your boots on!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          sholling
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Sep 2007
                          • 10360

                          Originally posted by MJB
                          When is the ship date?
                          Officially April 21st, however, if history is any indicator the earliest preorders may ship up to a week early - inventory numbers allowing. That's what happened with the S7.
                          "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                          Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            sholling
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 10360

                            Originally posted by AregularGuy
                            Already ordered the S8+. Switching from the S7 Edge on T-mobile to Verizon. Couldn't get steady data speed's on T-mobile and can't stand it anymore. I went from 100 Mb/s in Oklahoma to 3Mb/s outside T-mobile arena in Vegas (!) and couldn't get a signal in some casinos, to .60 Mb/s here in the East bay to 15Mb/s on other days in the Bay. I'm getting $480 for my trade in. Still have a second S7 Edge that is brand new since I got them buy 1 get one free.
                            Best coverage just depends on where you are. Where I live I can't get a Verizon signal at all while T-Mobile's is strong. From what I've read these days national coverage differences are minor and shrinking fast.

                            Expert analysis of the leading stories in tech and entertainment plus reviews of the latest gadgets.


                            I laid hands on the S8 and the S8+ and while the S8+ tempted me it's just too huge for me to front pocket carry. It'll work great in a purse or on belt holster or a back pocket but not my front pocket.
                            Last edited by sholling; 04-01-2017, 9:26 AM.
                            "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                            Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              KillZone45
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 2570

                              Originally posted by sholling
                              Best coverage just depends on where you are. Where I live I can't get a Verizon signal at all while T-Mobile's is strong. From what I've read these days national coverage differences are minor and shrinking fast.

                              Expert analysis of the leading stories in tech and entertainment plus reviews of the latest gadgets.


                              I laid hands on the S8 and the S8+ and while the S8+ tempted me it's just too huge for me to front pocket carry. It'll work great in a purse or on belt holster or a back pocket but not my front pocket.
                              I decided to get the plus model as I liked the bigger screen on the iPhone 7+, I figured if I was going to upgrade this time is like a bigger screen. Hopefully it doesn't feel too big in my front pocket.
                              Nikita Khrushchev said"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism. "

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                sholling
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Sep 2007
                                • 10360

                                Originally posted by KillZone45
                                I decided to get the plus model as I liked the bigger screen on the iPhone 7+, I figured if I was going to upgrade this time is like a bigger screen. Hopefully it doesn't feel too big in my front pocket.
                                I believe that the S8+ and the iPhone 7+ are roughly the same height so you should be happy with it. I front pocket carry the (non-Edge) S7 in a wallet case and with my build the S7 Edge size S8 feels like it'll be at the ragged edge of comfortable front pocket carry for me, but that me and body types vary. I seriously considered the S8+ for belt carry because it is really-really nice. I think you'll love the S8+
                                "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                                Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1