Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dress Code at Public Gun Range?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    morfeeis
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2010
    • 7605

    Originally posted by Excelsior
    Actually as shown, those booties would be funnels for hot brass.
    You sound like the kind of guy that "tries" to ruin a porn by pointing out fake parts...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Originally posted by Ayn Rand
    You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.

    Comment

    • #47
      sl0re10
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2013
      • 7242

      Originally posted by Excelsior
      If I was responsible for the range I would also add no open-toed footwear allowed.
      ?

      anyway; I have hot brass land in my hair all the time. Doesn't seem to be hot enough to do damage... if it was still the era of hairspray; it might be an issue.

      Comment

      • #48
        Epaphroditus
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2013
        • 4888

        Rules are for sheeple. The whole concept of 'public range' is a statist tool giving the illusion of liberty.
        CA firearms laws timeline BLM land maps

        Comment

        • #49
          Excelsior
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 4215

          I suppose in the end what one is required to wear at a range they do not owns boils down to three things:

          * Safety. It still amazes me that some would target shoot without eye protection, ear protection and closed-toe footwear. At least no one used the "practice with the minimum of what you would have in a home defense situation" excuse.

          * Insurance requirements. Good luck getting insurance without requiring at the very least eye and ear protection and possibly closed-toed footwear.

          * Litigation. If a range owner got dragged into court due to a patron's injury, I'm sure they would then very much value posted safety rules like eye and ear protection.

          * Civility. Banning gang attire, do-rags, wife beaters, Big Johnson shirts, etc. will not only help to set more hospitable/family-friendly environment (and hence profitability), it might actually serve to keep some trash away.
          [CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]

          The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

          Comment

          • #50
            Excelsior
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 4215

            Originally posted by sl0re10
            ?

            anyway; I have hot brass land in my hair all the time. Doesn't seem to be hot enough to do damage... if it was still the era of hairspray; it might be an issue.
            Do you shoot much? Ever get a piece of brass between your eyeglass frames and your face or down the front of your shirt? A cap can help prevent that. Ever have one go down the BACK of your shirt? A hat can prevent that.

            As for shoes, ever had some hot brass land between your feet and open-toed footwear?
            [CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]

            The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

            Comment

            • #51
              Excelsior
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 4215

              Originally posted by Epaphroditus
              Rules are for sheeple. The whole concept of 'public range' is a statist tool giving the illusion of liberty.
              Actually it's a "concept" of having a range (gov't or private owned) that is open to the public without membership requirements.
              [CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]

              The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

              Comment

              • #52
                Jester3
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 1132

                Yep!

                Originally posted by njineermike
                You need to hang a round a little more. This guy has a long standing habit of pontificating on on the minutea what others should and shouldn't do, and how they comport themselves. He starts threads like this then they devolve into him lecturing everyonoe on how they should adhere to his standard. He doesn't want your opinion, he wants to talk condescendingly to as many people as possible.
                You got it exactly right!

                Comment

                • #53
                  Excelsior
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 4215

                  Originally posted by morfeeis
                  Yet another reason to hate CA, let people dress anyway they want. Unless it effects me its not my business . they don't to wear ears, fine let them go deaf etc etc etc. Now if the owner of a private range want to inact certain rules then so be it.
                  Naw. That's not what I asked about. If I am a patron at a public range (whether private or gov't owned), other peoples' safety gear and garb (unless the garb is hardcore offensive) is none of my business. But that's not what I asked about.

                  I asked: "If it was up to you, what would you require shooters to wear at a public gun range?" You can read that as being the owner of the range, the manager of the range with the authority to set such rules, etc.

                  As far as your porn reference, all I can say is "sad."
                  [CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]

                  The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Excelsior
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 4215

                    Originally posted by omgwtfbbq
                    When it comes to other people at public ranges my simple rule is just don't wear anything you wouldn't want people seeing you in. I'm not the safety or fashion police so if you wanna play stupid games that's fine by me, I'll have a front row seat to a Darwin Awards ceremony.

                    When it comes to my personal wear, there's a little stricter standard. I always wear ear/eye pro as well as a hat for sun/rain/wind protection. As far as non-safety related clothing, I usually dress for the type of shooting I plan to be doing that day.

                    If I plan to work on handgun skills I'm always going to wear my holster. I don't go to ranges that don't allow drawing from the holster (North of Sac there are plenty of publicly owned outdoor ranges that allow this) I typically wear either cargo pants or jeans and tucked-in polo or T-shirt. Closed toed shoes are a must. Better still, something with a heavy sole since people like to take glass and other sharp stuff out to the range and shoot it like idiots. Carbine shooting is usually the same attire. If I'm out to just bench shoot, I'm not really worried about my dress accept for safety and just common public decency.

                    If I want to work on drawing and shooting from concealment, I usually plan ahead and go to the LE range.

                    The only thing I do dislike seeing is people wearing is offensive or blatantly criminal or gang related clothing at ranges. Certainly doesn't make me feel safe, and if I don't feel safe, I'm not going to able to have a good time.
                    Great posting. Good insight.
                    [CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]

                    The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      romadant
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 816

                      Why would one grown man care what another grown man is wearing? Too much estrogen working there.
                      I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor. -- Mahatma Ghandi

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        Excelsior
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 4215

                        As I have thought a bit more about this thread and some of the responses, it has become more and more clear that shooting ranges should endeavor to be as family friendly as possible. It's critical to get the next generation into shooting.

                        I know my local range (public) is very conscious about being family-friendly both at its public range and at it's competition ranges. That's the reason that gang attire, wife-beaters and the rest should be prohibited.
                        [CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]

                        The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Excelsior
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 4215

                          Originally posted by romadant
                          Why would one grown man care what another grown man is wearing? Too much estrogen working there.
                          Because in this context said person might own/operate/manage the range and have concerns about liability, insurance and profitability. Nice try.
                          [CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]

                          The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Scratch705
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2009
                            • 12537

                            eyes/ears and at minimum underwear.

                            i don't need to see some dude's wing-wang when i'm trying to shoot nor a women's tata's and taco cause that is just pure unsafe for everyone as all the dudes would start turning to stare and shoot the person next to them.
                            Originally posted by leelaw
                            Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                            Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                            Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                            Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                            Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              romadant
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 816

                              Originally posted by Excelsior
                              Because in this context said person might own/operate/manage the range and have concerns about liability, insurance and profitability. Nice try.
                              Then worry about safety only. Anything beyond that is ridiculous. People need to mind their own effing business. "Wah, wah.. This offends me.. Wah, wah, this isn't friendly.. Wah, wah.. I'm a whiny b----"

                              Make sure they're handling firearms in a safe manner. That's it. If they wanna skip eye and ear pro.. Stupid prize if being deaf or blind.
                              I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor. -- Mahatma Ghandi

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Bsandoc40
                                CGSSA Coordinator
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 2413

                                Originally posted by john67elco
                                Ban idiots that worry about what others are shooting and wearing.
                                Then over half the state's population would be deported to New York and not allowed back in...
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1