Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Overpriced Items on CalGuns - Poll

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    sloguy
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2007
    • 1999

    cant rape the willing.

    yall can quote me on that.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Originally posted by xrMike
    She's going to get sand in her action, if she's not careful.

    Comment

    • #32
      jdberger
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2005
      • 8944

      Crapping in someone's "For Sale" thread is analagous to interfering with a sale in someone's store.

      I can only imagine the consequences if one day, while at Irvington Arms, I told a prospective buyer that the Kimber he was looking at was available down the way for $50 less.

      For some reason, I don't think I'd be invited back.

      What makes the OP think that he's responsible for assuring that everyone gets a "good deal"? What makes him think that folks want his unsolicited input?

      If I was a buyer, and some busybody interfered with my purchase in the above manner (or by "helpfully" informing the seller that he could probably get more for the item by marking it up) I'd be pretty pissed.

      Pissed at the presumption of the OP, who apparently thinks that I somehow need his help.

      So, yeah, STFU.
      Rest in Peace - Andrew Breitbart. A true student of Alinsky.

      90% of winning is simply showing up.

      "Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

      sigpic
      NRA Benefactor Member

      Comment

      • #33
        BillCA
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2005
        • 3821

        I'm mostly in the caveat emptor camp here. If you offer to sell your uncle's S&W Model 10 M&P for $650 and some blissninny wants to buy it, who am I to argue? Usually you can tell when something is overpriced. You won't see much activity from others and you will see a few comments about trades.

        IF you are seriously concerned that someone is just trying to force folks to bend over and grab their socks, I would address a PM to the seller pointing out what the going price (or "fair" price) is. If that doesn't work and you know of a better deal, I wouldn't hesitate to let other Calgunners know about it.

        If someone were selling a much-used XD-9 for $599 and you know that, in the same region, you could buy it brand new at Betty's Brassiere & Gun Emporium for $449, then posting that as a "heads up" for members in the commercial sales area serves as information for potential buyers. But it doesn't help if the seller is in Sacramento and you're posting a better deal in San Diego. No one is going to make two trips the length of the state to save less than $300. No one can force a buyer to be smart. Some people will pee their money away on lotto tickets too.

        Allowing thread-crapping raises the spectre of folks sabotaging the sales of others either intentionally or not. It also makes it harder for someone to sell a gun for an actual "fair price". The reality is that some used guns are worth more in California because they are hard to find here and will command a higher price. Get over it. It's the way the market, as it's currently constrained, works. It's up to us, collectively, to fight the stupid laws and get them changed.

        Comment

        • #34
          -hanko
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2002
          • 14174

          Originally posted by emc002
          I know thread-crapping is poor form, but then again so is over charging.

          So my question is, do I post anything to help out the poor maroon that doesn't know he can get a better deal commercially?
          The poor 'maroon' may get it sooner or later, or maybe not at all.

          Rule #1 on internet FS gun boards is to keep you comments to yourself if you think the price is too high...seller will either pull the post or lower the price if he's serious about selling.

          If you don't know what's a fair price, post a 'Want To Know' message in the appropriate forum.

          Last month someone was selling a relatively rare/no-longer-made/CA-legal rifle. I'd planned on selling one of the same about the same time. I PM'd him asking if he minded if I posted my gun...he had no problem, but I waited anyway. Turns out a friend of his emailed me and we made a deal for a fair price. What comes around WILL go around.

          emc002...nice sig by the way

          -hanko
          True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

          Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

          Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

          A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

          Comment

          • #35
            leelaw
            Junior Member
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Oct 2005
            • 10445

            Thread crapping is not allowed.

            Commenting in any way that the price is too high, outside market value, inflated, comes at a California premium, or any other creative way of insinuating or overtly stating that the price is too high is thread crapping and will result in the deletion of the post in question, and a warning to whomever posted said comment.

            If you need to be warned more than once, you may face the consequences of breaking the rules, ranging from time away from Calguns, or the total banishment from the Marketplace forum.

            If you have something to say to the buyer regarding the price, then you PM him about it.

            If you are unable to resist posting such comments, you may contact a moderator who can assist your further participation in the Marketplace.

            This used to be a serious problem, but died off.... for a while. Unfortunately it has resurfaced as a problem within the Marketplace, so stricter enforcement of the rules has followed.

            I can think of several threads where several posters have thread crapped, the comments were deleted, a warning was placed in the thread, more thread crapping was posted which were subsequently deleted, another warning was posted, and then some members were given time off for still continuing to thread crap.

            The rules are posted at the top of every forum in the Marketplace, and are simple to understand. It boggles my mind that some people still don't "get it," post in violation of the rules, and then either get really defensive or play ignorant of the rules when warned about their violation.

            Another issue is the continued bumping of threads - either by the OP, or by other posters with comments like "bump for a great price" "buy with confidence" "wow, nice piece, I wish I could afford it" etc... as well as people deciding to play moderator by posting "you're breaking the rules!" in the thread rather than using the REPORT button (that's what it is there for!) but that's another thread in itself.

            Review the rules here if any of this is unclear: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=41606

            Comment

            • #36
              JMB1911
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2007
              • 948

              It's really none of my business what others want to sell their stuff for. It is ultimately the prospective buyers job to research prices on stuff they're interested in. And besides, I think it's against the rules to tell someone that they're selling their stuff for too much. If you don't think it's a good deal, don't buy it! Okay, now who wants to buy a Glock 21SF for 800 bucks???

              Comment

              • #37
                emc002
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2007
                • 2331

                Originally posted by 1SGMAT
                Next. below is the statement I just made on my thread that emc002 has seemed to crap, uh, i mean comment on.
                Well, I didn't crap in your thread, nor did I imply you and SAS were in cahoots. (In fact, I doubt SAS is in on any sort of conspiracy, LOL.) But, yes, your thread was the one that precipitated mine.

                Not saying you were trying to screw over anyone at all as yours isn't the only for sale where items are over priced, but it did get me thinking enough to start this thread.

                Originally posted by 1SGMAT
                If my integrity has been questioned then this is where I stand with it.
                Nope, but if it makes you feel good to play the martyr, enjoy your self pity circle jerk.
                "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

                "I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey

                Comment

                • #38
                  emc002
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 2331

                  Originally posted by chickenfried
                  As long as the item is in the condition as described in the ad and it's a legal transaction why would you question the integrity of the seller? It says more about the busy body sticking their nose in other people's business than the seller.

                  So the people that voted in favor of thread crapping won't mind if we keep an eye out for their FS threads?

                  Wow, a lot of liberal intentional misinterpretation! Nobody's integrity was questioned. But nice straw man argument! Pathetic...
                  "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

                  "I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    C.G.
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 8251

                    Didn't like your choice of words, but if a seller and buyer agree on a price, it is no one's business but theirs.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Boomer1961
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 768

                      WOW!

                      I don't really see a problem when price is posted to high. Send a PM with a link of where it can be bought cheaper. Also if you see a someone posting an I'll take, it just quietly PM him a link of somewhere cheaper, just don't do it on the thread.

                      I see a problem with a lot of naive sellers posting their stuff way below market price (especially ammo) and all those Calgunners who get to play on internet all day because they don't have a real job of meaning pounce all over it with "I'll take its" within 60 seconds.

                      Then after I or other honest Calgunner PM the seller about the error of their ways and the seller withdraws the item for sell we get allot of colloquy crying babies complaining about ethics and honest business practices about not honoring the for sale price.....while not mentioning that they knew the item was worth way more than they were offering and could easily sell for such. Then we get all the pouting, crying, name calling, and whining (like that spoiled little child at the supermarket wanting his candy) in hopes it will affect a normal adult into giving in under the childish behaviour and cave in and sell it at way below market price which they probably learned to do as children when they threw a tantrum and cried out loud incessantly to get their parents to buy them candy bars. Somehow those buyers consider that all ethical and normal behaviour.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        thefifthspeed
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 2674

                        Originally posted by Boomer1961
                        WOW!

                        I don't really see a problem when price is posted to high. Send a PM with a link of where it can be bought cheaper. Also if you see a someone posting an I'll take, it just quietly PM him a link of somewhere cheaper, just don't do it on the thread.

                        I see a problem with a lot of naive sellers posting their stuff way below market price (especially ammo) and all those Calgunners who get to play on internet all day because they don't have a real job of meaning pounce all over it with "I'll take its" within 60 seconds.

                        Then after I or other honest Calgunner PM the seller about the error of their ways and the seller withdraws the item for sell we get allot of colloquy crying babies complaining about ethics and honest business practices about not honoring the for sale price.....while not mentioning that they knew the item was worth way more than they were offering and could easily sell for such. Then we get all the pouting, crying, name calling, and whining (like that spoiled little child at the supermarket wanting his candy) in hopes it will affect a normal adult into giving in under the childish behaviour and cave in and sell it at way below market price which they probably learned to do as children when they threw a tantrum and cried out loud incessantly to get their parents to buy them candy bars. Somehow those buyers consider that all ethical and normal behaviour.
                        On the flip side how would you feel if you stumbled across a great deal and took it and someone PM'ed the seller and he/she revoked the deal?

                        I perfer to stay out of other people affairs.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          rivviepop
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 2528

                          Originally posted by Boomer1961
                          and all those Calgunners who get to play on internet all day because they don't have a real job of meaning
                          Easy now on the generalizations, just because you don't know what it is I do doesn't make it a real job of no meaning. There are a lot of geeks on Calguns who "play on the internet" all day for a lot of money, and been doing so for a decade.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Kestryll
                            Head Janitor
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 21614

                            Gee, just a bit loaded on the answers aren't we?
                            No pre-intended results here.....

                            Let's take a look at the answers.


                            1: Post the better commercial deal right in his thread.
                            Thread crapping, your post will be removed and you will be warned not to do it again. Repetitions will result in a short term ban.

                            2: PM the poor maroon that is paying too much.
                            Variant of thread crapping, see above for results.

                            3: Post the better deal in Good Commerical Deals Sub Forum (& hope the buyer finds it!)
                            Now we're moving in to better territory, not only does this NOT violate the rules, it is helpful to not just one person.

                            4: STFU, it's none of your business.
                            Generally this is the best course, most here are adults and know what they're getting in to. There are exceptions but they are rare.

                            Let's add an option as well.

                            5: Use the 'Report Post' button in the upper right hand corner of every post, it looks like this , if it is a clear case of ripping someone off.
                            This is a VERY good option as it let's the Staff do their job and keep you off the ban list.
                            Breaking the rules because someone else did just means both of you have done it.



                            P.S. Answer 4 has been cleaned up to be a bit more impartial.
                            NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
                            Calguns.net, LLC. - Owner.
                            The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
                            DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CRPA AND CRPAF NOW!
                            Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net or CRPA.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              leelaw
                              Junior Member
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 10445

                              Originally posted by Boomer1961
                              WOW!

                              I don't really see a problem when price is posted to high. Send a PM with a link of where it can be bought cheaper. Also if you see a someone posting an I'll take, it just quietly PM him a link of somewhere cheaper, just don't do it on the thread.

                              I see a problem with a lot of naive sellers posting their stuff way below market price (especially ammo) and all those Calgunners who get to play on internet all day because they don't have a real job of meaning pounce all over it with "I'll take its" within 60 seconds.

                              Then after I or other honest Calgunner PM the seller about the error of their ways and the seller withdraws the item for sell we get allot of colloquy crying babies complaining about ethics and honest business practices about not honoring the for sale price.....while not mentioning that they knew the item was worth way more than they were offering and could easily sell for such. Then we get all the pouting, crying, name calling, and whining (like that spoiled little child at the supermarket wanting his candy) in hopes it will affect a normal adult into giving in under the childish behaviour and cave in and sell it at way below market price which they probably learned to do as children when they threw a tantrum and cried out loud incessantly to get their parents to buy them candy bars. Somehow those buyers consider that all ethical and normal behaviour.
                              It is unethical to post an "I'll take it!" and then back out.

                              It is unethical to post an item for sale at <insert price you are comfortable with here, possibly high> and have the item crapped on.

                              It is unethical to post an item for sale at <insert price you are comfortable with here, lower than what it is worth> and then retract the sale after someone says they will take it.

                              Any of these behaviors are subject to moderator review.

                              Calguns is not slanted to be pro-purchaser nor pro-seller. We try to lay an even grounds here, and hope that we don't have people backstabbing with "you could get $XX more than you offered it for" or "you paid $XX too much" etc..

                              The bottom line: If the seller posts an item at $XXX, and the buyer agrees to buy at $XXX, then both parties are happy and shouldn't be subject to harrassment by pissy, cheap, opportunistic, know-it-all, back-stabbing, thread-crapping, or other similar types of members, and we work to prevent such harrassment from happening.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                M. Sage
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Jul 2006
                                • 19759

                                Originally posted by Boomer1961
                                WOW!

                                I don't really see a problem when price is posted to high. Send a PM with a link of where it can be bought cheaper. Also if you see a someone posting an I'll take, it just quietly PM him a link of somewhere cheaper, just don't do it on the thread.

                                I see a problem with a lot of naive sellers posting their stuff way below market price (especially ammo) and all those Calgunners who get to play on internet all day because they don't have a real job of meaning pounce all over it with "I'll take its" within 60 seconds.

                                Then after I or other honest Calgunner PM the seller about the error of their ways and the seller withdraws the item for sell we get allot of colloquy crying babies complaining about ethics and honest business practices about not honoring the for sale price.....while not mentioning that they knew the item was worth way more than they were offering and could easily sell for such. Then we get all the pouting, crying, name calling, and whining (like that spoiled little child at the supermarket wanting his candy) in hopes it will affect a normal adult into giving in under the childish behaviour and cave in and sell it at way below market price which they probably learned to do as children when they threw a tantrum and cried out loud incessantly to get their parents to buy them candy bars. Somehow those buyers consider that all ethical and normal behaviour.
                                ... The buyer and seller are each responsible for researching a fair price on any item. It's nobody's job but theirs to do that. If an item is described deceptively or something, that's different. But if no deception is involved, it's nobody's business.

                                It isn't ethical to do what you're describing. It's called being a busybody.

                                I haven't bought or sold on the marketplace yet, but if/when I do, I don't need people telling me if I've spent too much or if I'm offering something for too little. I would definitely be miffed at that...

                                If you see anything honestly unethical, hit the report button.
                                Originally posted by Deadbolt
                                "We're here to take your land for your safety"

                                "My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
                                sigpicNRA Member

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1