Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Its OFFICIAL: Nevada Accepts AZ LTC not CCW

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    Southpaw45
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 2333

    YES!!! Im set and ready to go!!!
    Cowboy Action Shooter
    Midnight Black Powder Shooter
    S.A.S.S #74217
    Have Guns Will Travel
    .45 Colt Enthusiast
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Comment

    • #77
      Untamed1972
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Mar 2009
      • 17579

      Originally posted by CalBear
      I thought this at first, because I remember NV dropped Utah and Florida. But the more I think about it, I think the Sheriff's association knew what it was doing. For one, I don't think they're so stupid as to look at outdated Arizona law. SB 1108, which broadened the Arizona CCW requirements was signed into law over a year ago... Also, I think Arizona's CCW rules are, in fact, substantially similar to those found in NRS 202.3657. I'll explain.

      First of all, recall why Nevada stopped acknowledging FL and UT in the first place:
      • Utah doesn't require live fire training.
      • Florida extended license expiration from 5 years to 7 years.


      Yeah, that's right. Florida would still be valid had they not moved to 7 year permits.

      Next, consider the Nevada CCW statutes. People usually assume the NRS says training must take place within the State to obtain a NV permit. This is simply not true.



      Note that Nevada law is changing on October 1. The language regarding specific semiautomatic pistols has been removed. You now only need training with any revolver or semiautomatic.

      Sounds familiar...


      Arizona CCW requirements are clearly aimed at requiring some documentation of past actual experience with using firearms. They don't accept any and all state CCWs as sufficient documentation. They only accept ones form states with some live fire requirements. Arizona CCW requirements are substantially similar to Nevada's. With the addition of an online database of Arizona CCWs, Arizona is now in compliance with NRS 202.3689.

      As a result, I would assume Arizona CCWs will be valid in Nevada as long as Arizona's CCW statutes remain substantially similar to Nevada's. If they increase the renewal period from 5 years, or if they remove any and all practical experience requirements, then Nevada might end reciprocity. Otherwise, go get your Arizona CCW. Technically, you shouldn't have to go get training in Nevada, either. Documentation of a course including live fire, such as NRA basic, should be sufficient to obtain a Nevada CCW, especially when the NRS changes on October 1 to eliminate any specific firearms requirements.
      Interesting on the training NV training requirement. If that's the case why isn't anyone offering NV training in CA?

      Or was it the fact that you have to submit your app in person in NV that was the issue?

      I disagree with the bolded statement above though, because the AZ statute says they will accept any state CCW as proof of training and the UT permit does not require live-fire training. I mean realistically when AZ allows no-permit CCW now, how could they require live-fire training as a prerequisite for a permit? That wouldn't make sense.


      read 13-3112(E)(6)(b-d) at the link below


      (d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 7 of this section.

      N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:
      7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
      AZ law accepts/recognizes ANY state permit for carry in AZ, they do not have a "substantially similar training" requirement for recognition/reciprocity. They only require "training or testing requirement for initial issuance". It does not state that must include live-fire training/testing.
      Last edited by Untamed1972; 06-16-2011, 11:37 AM.
      "Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

      Quote for the day:
      "..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

      Comment

      • #78
        CalBear
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2010
        • 4279

        Originally posted by Untamed1972
        I disagree with the bolded statement above though, because the AZ statute says they will accept any state CCW as proof of training and the UT permit does not require live-fire training. I mean realistically when AZ allows not-permit CCW now, how could they require live-fire training as a prerequisite for a permit? That wouldn't make sense.
        I don't know which states they're actually accepting as proof, but the statue does not say they will accept any state CCW. To me, the intent of the statue is clear:

        An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

        ...

        7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
        I know Utah has a classroom training requirement, but the statue says the applicant shall "demonstrate competence with a firearm." I don't see how you can demonstrate competence with a firearm by sitting in a classroom. To me, this clearly means one needs to demonstrate that they can safely operate a firearm. That's why I believe AZ law is similar enough to NV law for reciprocity. In practical terms, I don't know how AZDPS is handling these statutes. They may be accepting UT CCWs. I don't know.
        Last edited by CalBear; 06-16-2011, 11:07 AM.

        Comment

        • #79
          CalBear
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 4279

          Originally posted by Untamed1972
          Interesting on the training NV training requirement. If that's the case why isn't anyone offering NV training in CA?

          Or was it the fact that you have to submit your app in person in NV that was the issue?
          I think it's a matter of that being the policy for the various Sheriffs in Nevada. I recently called Washoe, and they told me training from a national organization was acceptable, but that it, too, had to take place within the State.

          (c) Demonstrates competence with revolvers, each specific semiautomatic firearm to which the application pertains, or revolvers and each such semiautomatic firearm, as applicable, by presenting a certificate or other documentation to the sheriff which shows that the applicant:
          (1) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State; or
          (2) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety offered by a federal, state or local law enforcement agency, community college, university or national organizationand in the laws of this State relating to the use of a firearm.
          The only problem I could see is that courses here won't go over Nevada law. That may be the reason for only accepting in-state training. Not sure. Also, I don't see where the requirement that out of state residents must have training in the county in which they apply comes from. I don't see that in the NRS anywhere.

          As a side note, I called AZDPS this morning, and they're mailing an application. NRA Basic or either of my 2 CCWs will work as proof of training.
          Last edited by CalBear; 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM.

          Comment

          • #80
            Agent Orange
            Banned
            • May 2010
            • 989

            Great posts by CalBear and Untamed.

            Comment

            • #81
              Untamed1972
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2009
              • 17579

              Originally posted by CalBear
              I think it's a matter of that being the policy for the various Sheriffs in Nevada. I recently called Washoe, and they told me training from a national organization was acceptable, but that it, too, had to take place within the State.


              The only problem I could see is that courses here won't go over Nevada law. That may be the reason for only accepting in-state training. Not sure. Also, I don't see where the requirement that out of state residents must have training in the county in which they apply comes from. I don't see that in the NRS anywhere.

              As a side note, I called AZDPS this morning, and they're mailing an application. NRA Basic or either of my 2 CCWs will work as proof of training.
              I meant I wondered why they wouldn't allow an NV certified course to be taught in CA, like the UT permit instructors do? It could still cover NV laws, but would just be taught in CA or where ever.

              But I emailed AZ DPS yesterday to request a packet also. I was gonna use my UT permit for the training requirement, but then realized I also have a PC832 POST firearms cert too! Turns out that wasn't such a bad investment after all even tho it's expired.....gets me out of HSC for life, and will prolly work for the AZ thing too. I will just send them copies of both I think.

              Does anyone know if the AZ permit requires a picture?
              "Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

              Quote for the day:
              "..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

              Comment

              • #82
                CalBear
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 4279

                Originally posted by Untamed1972
                I meant I wondered why they wouldn't allow an NV certified course to be taught in CA, like the UT permit instructors do? It could still cover NV laws, but would just be taught in CA or where ever.
                Ah, right. It would have to go through the NRA somehow. General courses in firearms safety need to be approved by the Sheriff and must take place within the State of Nevada. The second option is a class by a LEA, university, or NRA. So theoretically, if an NRA course included information on Nevada law, then it would be sufficient. Still, per my chat with Washoe Sheriff's Department, it seems like they require even the option (2) courses to take place within their county, even though NRS doesn't say that's a requirement.

                Originally posted by Untamed1972
                But I emailed AZ DPS yesterday to request a packet also. I was gonna use my UT permit for the training requirement, but then realized I also have a PC832 POST firearms cert too! Turns out that wasn't such a bad investment after all even tho it's expired.....gets me out of HSC for life, and will prolly work for the AZ thing too. I will just send them copies of both I think.
                Should work.


                5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

                8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

                9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.
                Originally posted by Untamed1972
                Does anyone know if the AZ permit requires a picture?
                As far as this page suggests, no.

                Trusted concealed carry news, firearm laws, training tips, and self-defense education for responsible gun owners across America.


                Since they do by-mail applications, I suspect they don't require a photo. If they do, then at most it'll be something like Florida, which requires passport-sized photos. Of course, in the case of Florida, your picture is on the card.

                I think it's a good call to pick up an Arizona permit. They're only 60 bucks and they'll be good in Nevada for at least July 2011 - July 2012.

                Comment

                • #83
                  Untamed1972
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 17579

                  Originally posted by CalBear
                  Since they do by-mail applications, I suspect they don't require a photo. If they do, then at most it'll be something like Florida, which requires passport-sized photos. Of course, in the case of Florida, your picture is on the card.

                  I think it's a good call to pick up an Arizona permit. They're only 60 bucks and they'll be good in Nevada for at least July 2011 - July 2012.
                  I was just curious cuz I had to send passport photos in with my UT app, cuz they actually put your pic on the card.....didn't know if AZ required that or not. If not that'll save me a trip to AAA to get more pics done.
                  "Freedom begins with an act of defiance"

                  Quote for the day:
                  "..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    wheels
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • 2292

                    Originally posted by Untamed1972
                    If you already have the NV...prolly no need for the AZ.

                    But the requirement to have to take the training IN NV to get the NV permit it hasn't been practical for me (and prolly many others) to obtain the NV permit. so being able to obtain the AZ permit by mail (esp using the UT permit to meet the training requirement....ei no additional training costs) which would allow one to carry in NV is a much more attractive option.
                    I'm not willing to pay for NV CCW & training when I can just drive through - I don't stop there for gas if I don't have to. Pretty bizarre NV accepting AZ using UT training - can't last.
                    The society that separates its scholars from its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. Thucydides
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      Yugo
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 8393

                      Originally posted by wheels
                      Pretty bizarre NV accepting AZ using UT training - can't last.
                      Lets hope it lasts long enough
                      sigpic

                      Originally posted by WAMO556
                      Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

                      Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

                      Umm yeah!!!!!

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        pTa
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2008
                        • 1045

                        Originally posted by bigcalidave
                        /EDITTED/Hopefully, getting Arizona to recognize the permits of the 40K plus californians who have them, and the training classes offered by so many instructors here will be much easier. Yes, it's easy to just send in copies of my other CCWs, but I don't understand WHY they aren't allowing a perfectly valid proof of training as designated in their legislation.

                        Anyone can get the ccw, they have even stated that a hunter safety course is valid training. But they specifically stated to a number of people that CA CCWs and the training classes for them are not valid. It's stupid.
                        Originally posted by dustoff31
                        AZ does recognize CA CCW permits, as well as CCWs from every other state in the union that issues them. While CA has stated that that they will not under any circumstances issue a CA CCW to non-residents, or recognize their out of state CCWs.

                        It's very likely that AZ has issued more CCWs to CA residents in the last 3 weeks than CA has issued to their own residents in the last 3 years.

                        Clean your own doorstep first.
                        /\_Very Much Aggree

                        Originally posted by Bigtime1
                        /EDDITED/

                        The list of so-called elected representatives posturing and preening goes on.

                        All the above were intended to financially punish the state of Arizona and its citizens.

                        Something amusing is that for all the sabre rattling, nothing has really changed. CA, SF, LA and SD all still do business with AZ.

                        So, IMHO, if a few state employees in AZ want to the return the F-U to the state folks in CA, I don't blame them one bit. Sure, its the citizens that pay for the idiocy of the elected officials, but isn't that who would pay if any of the BS spewed forth from CA actually worked?
                        /\_AGREED

                        I come frm a state were CA people are viewedas meddling/they act like the worst kind of GUEST an dVISITORS by alway strying to change how us localles did things/ CaliDave / PLEASE Dont be that kind of guest/ You mean well but You risk allienatng people who WILL be greatv friends to YOU ALL

                        ThankYou
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          hasserl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 2876

                          Originally posted by Glock22Fan
                          There are also places in Arizona, such as bars, where you need the permit. Without the permit, you have to leave your firearm outside.
                          When I lived there ('76) we used to just hand our guns across the bar to the bartender to hold them for us while we drank. Then we collected them back when we were leaving.

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            DaveFJ80
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 2066

                            Originally posted by Window_Seat
                            I called, and they IMMEDIATELY ANSWERED.

                            BOOM, and it's ON IT'S WAY!!!

                            The very nice lady in the department asked "what kind of training do you have?". I said "NRA First Steps Basic Pistol and the Utah CCW Course".

                            She asked "What's your address?"

                            Same thing here. Application packet is on the way


                            Here's something the lady told me over the phone. They said they will accept ANY NRA certificate (basic pistol, instructors course, etc) and approve it right away. If you submit your Utah CCW cert, that may take longer since they have to contact Utah for additional information and waiting on that is what takes longer.

                            She recommends using a NRA certificate since they will approve that right away.

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              GWbiker
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 733

                              Originally posted by Untamed1972
                              I was just curious cuz I had to send passport photos in with my UT app, cuz they actually put your pic on the card.....didn't know if AZ required that or not. If not that'll save me a trip to AAA to get more pics done.
                              No picture on Arizona resident CCW permit.
                              "If 5% of Ducks could shoot back, would you go Duck hunting?"

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                SDM44
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 2010
                                • 3899

                                I have a question about the AZ CCW permit. What type of reciprocity does it have in other states?



                                When I look at that chart, which column should I be looking at? As in, what other states would the AZ CCW permit allow me to legally conceal carry in?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1