Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Arming teachers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Jeepergeo
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 3507

    Some folks here won't understand the photo. Anyway, it was subtle and funny at the same time...it could into a Mallard Fillmore comic strip. Thanks for posting it.
    Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
    Life Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association

    Comment

    • #32
      jonnyt16
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2009
      • 1749

      Originally posted by CJJohn
      CCW holders are in the most lawful segment of society, committing even less crime than LEOs on average. Why they are banned form CCW on school grounds is senseless....
      I've been saying this for at least 15 years now. If a teacher has a CCW then for Christ's sake LET THEM CARRY ON CAMPUS JUST LIKE THEY DO EVERYWHERE ELSE! I simply do not understand why that is such a difficult concept for people.

      Comment

      • #33
        Deedle
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2018
        • 1146

        Originally posted by jonnyt16
        I've been saying this for at least 15 years now. If a teacher has a CCW then for Christ's sake LET THEM CARRY ON CAMPUS JUST LIKE THEY DO EVERYWHERE ELSE! I simply do not understand why that is such a difficult concept for people.
        Citizens in Oregon are permitted to carry on school grounds with a CHL, but I'm not sure what school policy is for employees. Probably prohibited but who knows. Not interested enough to check.
        "No personal computer will ever have gigabytes of RAM" - Scott Nudds

        Comment

        • #34
          ZirconJohn
          Rattlesnake Hunter
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Sep 2007
          • 10380

          Originally posted by kmas
          Teachers would end up killing more students than the perps.

          Even cops often shoot fellow officers - and they have regular, intense training.

          Think of the namby pamby teachers your kids have today - they'd either hurt themselves, or far more likely, kill our children
          Defeatist mindset does not fare well in firearm defense in order to stop the threat of imminent peril or great bodily injury.

          Besides ... these "namby pamby" teachers you speak of DO NOT have to apply to carry firearm for defense of armed intruder.

          Defeatist - Because you imply that you rather sit back, let the killing happen, and do nothing about it.

          Now, if I was a teacher and I am not, but if I was ... I'd offer myself up to conceal carry while employed at school. NOT that I want to have to pull-point-fire ... but that I would defend the lives of myself and others. I'd GET IT DONE !!! - And then when it's all over, smoke is cleared, shooter is bleeding out ... then ... I will sheet my pants.

          I'd stop the threat first - then namby pamby can go ahead and set in.
          .
          "A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing" -- Jessamyn West
          "Only God has the touch to create these magnificent rattlesnakes and their signature greatness in nature" -- unknown
          .
          ......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

          Comment

          • #35
            Dan_Eastvale
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Apr 2013
            • 10799

            Originally posted by jonnyt16
            I've been saying this for at least 15 years now. If a teacher has a CCW then for Christ's sake LET THEM CARRY ON CAMPUS JUST LIKE THEY DO EVERYWHERE ELSE! I simply do not understand why that is such a difficult concept for people.
            Here in Utah Teachers who have a CCW (a lot) can carry at school.. The schools and kids are SAFER because of it...

            Comment

            • #36
              billped
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 2504

              Originally posted by Mayor McRifle
              Not all teachers need to be armed. 20% who are ready, willing, and able is more than enough.
              Spot on!

              Arming teachers wouldn't mean that 100% would carry as there are those with an aversion to guns, poor skills, etc. Think about how powerful it would be if it's a school with 50 teachers and 10% are armed - that's five trained, certified, and willing adults with exceptional knowledge of the floorplan on site immediately. No 5-10 minute waits.
              Bill

              Comment

              • #37
                mshill
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2012
                • 4485

                Originally posted by kmas
                Teachers would end up killing more students than the perps.

                Even cops often shoot fellow officers - and they have regular, intense training.

                Think of the namby pamby teachers your kids have today - they'd either hurt themselves, or far more likely, kill our children
                Originally posted by robertmneal93
                So, I've seen on this forum people just complaining about how teachers are both underpaid or overpaid, leftist nutjobs, incompetent, and many other things.

                Why would I arm these people who I deem not real world oriented (consider that most radical non-feasible ideas start in schools and universities) and expect them to protect my kids (which I don't have)?

                And more importantly, doesn't anyone view this as a significant addition to the police state?

                First off, no one ever said that every teacher needs to be armed. Those who might choose to be armed and trained should have that opportunity instead of becoming meat shields for a bunch of little turds whose parents don't care enough about them to have someone in the classroom capable of defending them.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

                Comment

                • #38
                  mshill
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 4485

                  Originally posted by Dan_Eastvale
                  Here in Utah Teachers who have a CCW (a lot) can carry at school.. The schools and kids are SAFER because of it...
                  Other than a report a few years ago about an ND (in a bathroom I think) I have never heard of a school shooting in Utah, and the state is awash in guns. While it could be attributed to culture, I have to believe that part of it has to do with the fact that everyone knows that there are many armed citizens on school grounds at any given time.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    XDJYo
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 7119

                    Originally posted by Squatch
                    I know a lot of teachers and I wouldn't trust them with a slingshot.

                    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    That's a pretty dumb argument. Just because you know inept teachers doesn't mean all teachers are inept (with a gun). Same counter-argument could be made by your teacher friend who says 'I know a gun owner and I wouldn't trust him with a potato'.

                    How many on this board are teachers? How many of those teachers can out shoot you? I'm sure they are out there.

                    Like I said, a dumb argument. Maybe you should make friends with different people???
                    Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                    Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                    Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                    M&P 15 (Mine)

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Dutch3
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 14181

                      Keep in mind that a school district consists of many other personnel than teachers. There are administrators, clerical staff, custodians, maintenance, food service, transportation, IT, etc.

                      All of these people are on campus daily and many work longer hours than teachers. Their commitment to student safety should not be ignored.

                      The K-8 district I retired from last year had an employee CCW policy in place. Most of those carrying daily were not teachers, but support staff. All good people.

                      The employee CCW agreement is still published in Board Policy, although technically now illegal. I would imagine there are still guns on campus, stored by legal means but readily accessible.
                      Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Den60
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jul 2016
                        • 2695

                        Just the fact that a potential shooter knows that he is likely to meet armed resistance would stop a lot of them before they commit the act. They would, however, try to find a softer target to make their statement. Right now there isn't many targets softer than a school.


                        Mojave Lever Crew Member

                        "It is time for us to do what we have been doing and that time is every day. Every day it is time for us to agree that there are things and tools that are available to us to slow this thing down." - Kamala "Heels Up" Harris

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          CptDan
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 519

                          My comment after 30 years of teaching on and off a high school campus I would be one of those teachers that would be armed. Along with my fellow teacher that taught drafting ,welding class both of us were hunters at one time and very familiar handling firearms. At that time I was a life member of NRA, president of a gun club and range officer at a monthly competitive shoot. Yes there were a lot libs on staff including our administration but there are still a few people that aren't liberals and would step up to defend our students.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Dan_Eastvale
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 10799

                            Originally posted by mshill
                            Other than a report a few years ago about an ND (in a bathroom I think) I have never heard of a school shooting in Utah, and the state is awash in guns. While it could be attributed to culture, I have to believe that part of it has to do with the fact that everyone knows that there are many armed citizens on school grounds at any given time.
                            Yes, hee hee, a female teacher here in the suburb Taylorsville accidentally shot and killed the toilet she was sitting on..Think it was a Glock..

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              socal m1 shooter
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2013
                              • 1959

                              Originally posted by sgt1372
                              I would support this PROVIDED that the teachers & administrators who are authorized to carry are "properly" trained and I'm not talking about some 4-8 hr CCW course.

                              Each person should be proficiency tested at least annually and should also under go actual live fire "hot house" shoot/no shoot training scenarios likely to arise in a school setting to minimize (as much as possible) the mistakes that are likely to still happen despite such training.

                              The local government and school district would also have to be willing to indemnify and hold harmless any teacher/administrator who fires a weapon in the defense of him/herself and others while on duty to insure that those teachers/administrators are not required to suffer financially as a result of such action.
                              In California, where the CTA is more or less the 800-lb gorilla of CA politics, to the point where they practically have parity with the state assembly and state senate when it comes to hashing out the budget, if hell froze over and they green-lighted the arming/training/hold-harmlessing of selected teachers who would carry a firearm, you can be certain they would seize upon the opportunity to demand additional funding for arming/training/hold-harmlessing-related costs as well as something like combat pay for said teachers. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to do the right thing.

                              The CTA couldn't care less about the welfare of CA students or those who teach them, for that matter, but on the bright side, if someone could convince the CTA "leaders" that it would be in their interest, somehow, to arm certain teachers-- for the children, of course-- they would equip classrooms with gold-pladed ARs or AK-47s, in a heartbeat.
                              iTrader under old CalGuns

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Dan_Eastvale
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Apr 2013
                                • 10799

                                Originally posted by sgt1372
                                I would support this PROVIDED that the teachers & administrators who are authorized to carry are "properly" trained and I'm not talking about some 4-8 hr CCW course.

                                Each person should be proficiency tested at least annually and should also under go actual live fire "hot house" shoot/no shoot training scenarios likely to arise in a school setting to minimize (as much as possible) the mistakes that are likely to still happen despite such training.

                                This should INCLUDE everyone and NOT exclude anyone who "thinks" they already know how to handle a gun because of prior experience as a hunter and/or retired LEOs and military vet. FWIW, some of the worse shooters of a handgun in my academy class were ex-military and there were many active duty LEOs in my Dept who seldom practiced and were minimally proficient in shooting a handgun. Shooting a handgun is also NOTHING like shooting a handgun. So, just because you can down a deer at 100 yards w/a 26" scooped rifle is no guarantee that you can hit a "bad guy" under stress in a crowded school at 10-15 yards w/a 5" handgun.

                                The local government and school district would also have to be willing to indemnify and hold harmless any teacher/administrator who fires a weapon in the defense of him/herself and others while on duty to insure that those teachers/administrators are not required to suffer financially as a result of such action.
                                So shall not be infringed is clearly not one of California values??? "Reasonable gun control"..Stockholm syndrome..
                                Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 01-08-2019, 6:41 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1