Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

No one shoots revolvers anymore

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    The Wingnut
    CGN Contributor
    • Nov 2008
    • 3636

    Loving this thread. Wish I had one myself, I really like snubbies, and I'm jonesing for something with a 2" - 2.5" barrel and a prewar look.(doesn't have to be prewar, just visually should come close or match...I do a lot of period stuff and you'd be surprised how often firearms come into play)

    Everything has its purpose, I'd actually sooner tote a revolver than a self-loader. Sure, it carries fewer rounds and you can't fire as quickly, but there's no question it's going to go bang, and keep going bang. If you need more than you've got in the cylinder, you're probably way in over your head in the first place.

    I like the idea of flexibility in ammo, too. I'm a small guy, and .357 seems just right. Being able to shoot .38 out of the same weapon is a bonus.

    I drool over these:


    S&W Model 19
    (with apologies to the owner - not mine)


    Needs no introduction...
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Wernher von Browning
    I just checked. Change is all I've got left, they took all the folding money.
    A people whose only powers, liberties & remedies are those strictly defined by the State is not a free people at all.

    Comment

    • #62
      TheBundo
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2007
      • 1943

      In 30 years, nothing but revolvers for me, though I've shot many semis. Revolvers aren't going away
      Free Gun & Ammo $$$ from the State
      http://scoweb.sco.ca.gov/UCP/
      See how many CalGunners are finding major money on this thread:
      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=172513

      Comment

      • #63
        Max-the-Silent
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2007
        • 786

        "No one shoots revolvers anymore."

        Sez who?

        When I go to the public range there are usually a few people firing wheelguns.

        I practice with "users" (read as Glock, HK) but relax with SAA's or Smith's.

        Comment

        • #64
          BigDogatPlay
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2007
          • 7362

          Originally posted by Capt. Speirs
          Since there seems to be quite a few wheel gun lovers on this thread, let me ask, is the .41 mag the most underrated round? 30 years ago a friend of mine told me he carries a .41 mag as a back up when hunting. He claimed the round was more accurate and had more torque than a .44 mag. He also said the round would penetrate a Boar's skull, no problem. Just curious.
          I have to agree with your friend, the .41 Remington Magnum is generally underrated other than by those who shoot it.

          The .41 is a bit better ballistically than the .44 Magnum. The .41 is capable of excellent accuracy, I've reliably put six on targets at 100 yards+. You give up a bit of bullet weight, 210 grains is about the top for most manufacturers, but it can be loaded to similar velocities and provides plenty of punch. It was always a reliable game getter for me.

          Unfortunately, it really is a niche caliber. Those who own and shoot it swear by it, and perhaps my biggest regret is ever selling either of mine.
          -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

          Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

          Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

          Comment

          • #65
            BroncoBob
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2008
            • 6019

            When my dad passed away 1.5 years ago, I was given his firearms and the one that I really liked from his small collection was his S&W Model 10. He bought this revolver back in 1972 and never fired a round through it. When he bought it, the guy he bought it from threw in a Greenblatt MP 4 belt cartridge holder with 38 special bullets with nickel cases. These bullets have never been removed from it. The revolver has a deep blue cobalt finish on it that when light hits it, you can see a deep purple color. I've never seen a blue finish like this before. Thought I would share this with you all.





            sigpic
            NRA MEMBER

            Originally Posted by ar15barrels
            Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
            Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
            Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

            Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
            Michael Reagan

            Comment

            • #66
              chickenfried
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2005
              • 7160

              Nice gift from dad. So did you fire it?
              Originally posted by victor1echo
              Hollywood is satan!!!!
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #67
                BroncoBob
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2008
                • 6019

                Originally posted by chickenfried
                Nice gift from dad. So did you fire it?
                I borrowed it about 15 years ago and took to the range up in San Leandro and planned on shooting it. As I took it out of my case, a guy there came over and just happened to see it, stopped asked to look at it and said " You aren't going to shoot that are you"? I told him I was planning on shooting it, he said " I sure wouldn't if it was mine", well I put it back in the case and pulled out my 357 instead.
                sigpic
                NRA MEMBER

                Originally Posted by ar15barrels
                Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
                Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
                Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

                Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
                Michael Reagan

                Comment

                • #68
                  chickenfried
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 7160

                  well now here's a different guy saying he'd shoot it
                  Originally posted by victor1echo
                  Hollywood is satan!!!!
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    Tarn_Helm
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 2126

                    +1

                    Originally posted by chickenfried
                    well now here's a different guy saying he'd shoot it
                    I bought an unfired Colt Det. Special (made in 1957) "used" about two years ago.

                    I immediately took it shooting.

                    I have a hard time not shooting guns.
                    Last edited by Tarn_Helm; 02-11-2009, 5:42 PM. Reason: spelling
                    "The Religion of Peace": Islam: What the West Needs to Know.

                    America is Not a Democracy

                    ". . . all [historical] experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms
                    [of governmental abuses and usurpations] to which they are accustomed."
                    Decl. of Indep., July 4, 1776

                    NRA Benefactor/Life Member; Lifer: CRPA, GOA, SAF & JPFO

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      Trench Broom
                      Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 479

                      I'd have a hard time not shooting that as well - beautiful S&W, BroncoBob.

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        RudyN
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2007
                        • 2288

                        The only revolver I have is a Nagant 1895 made in 1938. I wish I still had my Colt Trooper that I bought in 1969.
                        Rudy N
                        NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
                        CRPA MEMBER

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          caldude
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007
                          • 1253

                          While I mostly have pistols, I do have a couple of revolvers (so far) that make it to the range regularly - both Rugers, a Single Six, and a BlackHawk. On my want list are a couple more revolvers. Yeah, you may see more pistols at the range, but I see plenty of revolvers also. There's no way you can say that they are 'dead'.

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            smle-man
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 10605

                            Originally posted by The Wingnut
                            Loving this thread. Wish I had one myself, I really like snubbies, and I'm jonesing for something with a 2" - 2.5" barrel and a prewar look.(doesn't have to be prewar, just visually should come close or match...I do a lot of period stuff and you'd be surprised how often firearms come into play)

                            Everything has its purpose, I'd actually sooner tote a revolver than a self-loader. Sure, it carries fewer rounds and you can't fire as quickly, but there's no question it's going to go bang, and keep going bang. If you need more than you've got in the cylinder, you're probably way in over your head in the first place.

                            I like the idea of flexibility in ammo, too. I'm a small guy, and .357 seems just right. Being able to shoot .38 out of the same weapon is a bonus.

                            I drool over these:


                            S&W Model 19
                            (with apologies to the owner - not mine)


                            Needs no introduction...

                            I really liked the looks of the SGT Joe Friday Colt Dick Special so I got one (made in the 30s). It wasn't much fun to shoot. The recoil caused the trigger guard to rap my knuckles each time I shot it.

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              wellfedirishman
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • 2272

                              Dying breed?

                              Crap, that must make me an old dude because I have way more revolvers than anything else.

                              There is something satisfying about a nice old Colt, Smith or even a modern Ruger revolver that you just don't get from plastic guns.

                              There's nothing wrong with plastic (I have a few) but you can't beat blued steel.

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                The Wingnut
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 3636

                                Originally posted by smle-man
                                I really liked the looks of the SGT Joe Friday Colt Dick Special so I got one (made in the 30s). It wasn't much fun to shoot. The recoil caused the trigger guard to rap my knuckles each time I shot it.
                                I'd be more than happy to dispose of it for you.
                                sigpic
                                Originally posted by Wernher von Browning
                                I just checked. Change is all I've got left, they took all the folding money.
                                A people whose only powers, liberties & remedies are those strictly defined by the State is not a free people at all.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1