Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

mini 14 FUN

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    russ69
    Calguns Addict
    • Nov 2009
    • 9348

    Originally posted by ChuckDizzle
    ...but the fact the zero wandered often from day to day. In addition a big thing that killed it for me was the first round flier problem...
    The new model is MUCH better.

    Originally posted by Air
    ...I'm even going as far as Primer Pocket and Flash Hole Uniforming and Neck Turning...
    You'll be wasting your time, the mini chamber and throat is pretty generous and all those tricks wont matter. If I was going to pick a bullet, the 55 grain Blitzking is a pretty good all around pill.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #47
      ar15robert
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2002
      • 2528

      I have owned one since the mid 90s and i know it aint the most accurate but it will still be enough to hit a target at distance.I enjoy shooting mine as its very reliable and simple plinker.

      I use my AR for the tack driver each gun has its plus and minuses.

      Comment

      • #48
        TMB 1
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2012
        • 7153

        Originally posted by russ69
        The new model is MUCH better.



        You'll be wasting your time, the mini chamber and throat is pretty generous and all those tricks wont matter. If I was going to pick a bullet, the 55 grain Blitzking is a pretty good all around pill.
        On the target model too?
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #49
          russ69
          Calguns Addict
          • Nov 2009
          • 9348

          Originally posted by TMB 1
          On the target model too?
          The target model is a different animal and I have no experience with it. However it is said that neck turning doesn't achieve results with a standard neck dimension chamber.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #50
            sunlupeo
            Junior Member
            • Mar 2013
            • 37

            I have both the older pencil barrel and the latest tapered barrel mini. Both are accurate for a man sized torso out to 175 yards with iron sights no problem. Besides, if was good enough for the A-Team it's good enough for me. Those guys always shot from the hip anyway ��
            Last edited by sunlupeo; 08-16-2016, 9:06 PM. Reason: Misspell

            Comment

            • #51
              sholling
              I need a LIFE!!
              CGN Contributor
              • Sep 2007
              • 10360

              Originally posted by ChuckDizzle
              It isn't accurate enough to be used on the game often found in or around a ranch.
              Incorrect. The first shot out of a Mini was always plenty accurate for killing coyotes and similar sized critters. What went wrong with older Minis was barrel whip during fast follow up shots, something easily fixed with an Accu-Strut and cured by the heavier barrel found on newer Mini-14s. No, they aren't a target rifle, but then neither were most right-out-of-the-box hunting rifles from 20 years ago.
              Last edited by sholling; 08-16-2016, 9:47 PM.
              "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

              Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

              Comment

              • #52
                ChuckDizzle
                Banned
                • Dec 2013
                • 4398

                Originally posted by sholling
                Incorrect. The first shot out of a Mini was always plenty accurate for killing coyotes and similar sized critters. What went wrong with older Minis was barrel whip during fast follow up shots, something easily fixed with an Accu-Strut and cured by the heavier barrel found on newer Mini-14s. No, they aren't a target rifle, but then neither were most right-out-of-the-box hunting rifles from 20 years ago.
                Another myth and legend. The problems with the Mini aren't entirely to blame on a thin barrel, but they are exposed and compunded by it. The problem lies in the heavy reciprocating mass of the op rod handle causing excessive vibration throughout the recievers and barrel. Ruger also often over gasses the rifle for greater reliability, but in doing so makes it impossible for the manual loading of the action to properly mimic the auto loading action because of how the action rebounds off the receiver. The problems of the Mini are far from "cured" by a heavier barrel. And adding a pound or so of weight out to the front of a rifle will work, but it screws up the nice balance that a OEM mini has.

                A coyote is about the largest game you will likely find on a ranch, and the mini is already just accurate enough to ethically kill one. Everything else, badgers, weasels, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, etc, are smaller and you will probably miss if they are 100 yards away or more.

                Comment

                • #53
                  Mitch
                  Mostly Harmless
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 6580

                  Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                  Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    ChuckDizzle
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2013
                    • 4398

                    Originally posted by Mitch
                    Owned one for almost three years, spent most of the time searching for a consistent accuracy. Spent almost a thousand bucks over my time with the rifle attempting to make the rifle more accurate. I even went so far as to analyze high speed footage of my rifle cycling to look for problems.

                    I'd venture to say I've fired more rounds out of a Mini 14 than any of the current owners in this thread. Unlike them, I actually shot it on a ranch regularly. So yeah, I'm kind of an expert on the issues and failings of the "ranch rifle."

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Mr. Beretta
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 6614

                      So Chuck......whats your opinion of Berettas?

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        ChuckDizzle
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2013
                        • 4398

                        Originally posted by Mr. Beretta
                        So Chuck......whats your opinion of Berettas?
                        The pistols or shotguns?

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          TMB 1
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 7153

                          Originally posted by ChuckDizzle
                          Owned one for almost three years, spent most of the time searching for a consistent accuracy. Spent almost a thousand bucks over my time with the rifle attempting to make the rifle more accurate. I even went so far as to analyze high speed footage of my rifle cycling to look for problems.

                          I'd venture to say I've fired more rounds out of a Mini 14 than any of the current owners in this thread. Unlike them, I actually shot it on a ranch regularly. So yeah, I'm kind of an expert on the issues and failings of the "ranch rifle."
                          Bunny Ranch or Chicken Ranch?
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Air
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2005
                            • 1640

                            Originally posted by TMB 1
                            Bunny Ranch or Chicken Ranch?

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              ChuckDizzle
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2013
                              • 4398

                              Originally posted by TMB 1
                              Bunny Ranch or Chicken Ranch?
                              There were several rabbits yes,...

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                HUTCH 7.62
                                In Memoriam
                                • Aug 2006
                                • 11298

                                Originally posted by ChuckDizzle

                                And I don't doubt some Mini 14s have been used on ranches, but the vast vast majority of them never have been and never will be.
                                Many a Rhodesian Farmer used one while defending his farm from Mugabe's terrorists.
                                Some say that he once mooned two prostitutes just for a round of drinks, but wasn't surprised by the reply......They call him, the Hutch
                                Some say that he rode a dirtbike 7k miles across the country and that he once applied Bengay to his own testicles for a mere $50............They call him, the Hutch -Top Gear

                                http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1