Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SCAR 17s now going for 5000?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ScottsBad
    Progressives Suck!
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • May 2009
    • 5610

    Originally posted by EndoDef
    Used one in Afghanistan "short barrel full auto obviously"
    And it's cool to have a light weight 308 gun. But accuracy is sub standard and honestly it's just over priced hype. No real reason to own one on the civilian market.

    I'd rather have a OBR or MWS anyday
    This is interesting. Did you have the 13" barrel? Or 16"? What ammo did they give you?

    The match ammo accuracy has been proven to be very close to the MWS side by side. There is tons of data about the very good accuracy of the SCAR. So your experience is outside what has been observed by civilians and some ex-military. The SCAR is also lighter than the MWS which is also helpful in the civilian market.

    I don't get where you are coming from. You think the civilian market doesn't need a light accurate .308 semi, but does need a heavier accurate .308 semi.

    Makes NO sense, sorry.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-29-2016, 9:25 AM.
    sigpicC'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.

    Comment

    • ScottsBad
      Progressives Suck!
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • May 2009
      • 5610

      Originally posted by np13113
      Isn't buying for profit against the law...?

      Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Spoken like a true socialist. There are some prohibitions on firearms (like a lower), but not on parts. Can't be.
      sigpicC'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.

      Comment

      • ScottsBad
        Progressives Suck!
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • May 2009
        • 5610

        Originally posted by jarhead714
        I like SCAR's. I think they are great guns. The thing is, I'm confident that I have at least 1 AR that with iron sights can outshoot any iron sighted SCAR out to 550 meters that costs thousands less so.. I don't really need or even desire a SCAR.
        Thousands less? is that at the inflated prices, or the more standard $2800?

        Maybe, but probably not with an equally skilled opponent. And even if the calculated energy is the same there is a difference when a 168-175gr slug enters your body (or game) vs. a 62-77gr slug. Makes a bigger wound. That's why hunting deer with .223 is prohibited in many places.

        I know the argument about kinetic energy, but the two rounds produce different wounds. And in the real world with cross winds a .308 will exhibit better stability.

        IF there was no difference snipers would only shoot .223.

        But you do what you want and we'll do what we want.
        Last edited by ScottsBad; 07-29-2016, 9:27 AM.
        sigpicC'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.

        Comment

        • fawndog
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Nov 2003
          • 856

          Originally posted by jarhead714
          I like SCAR's. I think they are great guns. The thing is, I'm confident that I have at least 1 AR that with iron sights can outshoot any iron sighted SCAR out to 550 meters that costs thousands less so.. I don't really need or even desire a SCAR.
          If priced the same a SCAR would probably be a better CQB option for most.

          Comment

          • BigBamBoo
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2008
            • 5215

            Originally posted by np13113
            Are you licensed to deal firearms?

            Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
            Where in my post did I say I was selling firearms? I am buying....say it with me...LPK's, BCG's barrel kits, and other misc. items that are NOT firearms.

            I would guess you are a Bernie and/or Hillery supporter. You get peeved when others make money and capitalism is a bad thing to you.

            .
            Bring hay for my horse....wine for my men....and mud for my turtle!

            What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

            "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
            - Sigmund Freud

            Originally posted by ar15barrels
            It makes it bigger and longer.

            Comment

            • np13113
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2015
              • 89

              Perhaps I should have been a bit more descriptive when posting but I was referring to the scar, not your off topic derailing. It's alright for you to sell your bcgs ect.

              Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • RoryAR
                Member
                • May 2013
                • 120

                Originally posted by ScottsBad
                A lot of guys save up and choose the NightForce NXS 2.5-10X 32mm (the 42mm is much more expensive but perhaps a better scope). I like the 32mm model because it is lighter. These are around $1500, but are tough and keep their value.
                Agreed as to the considerable increase in price for the NXS 2.5-10x42mm vs. the 32mm, but, FWIW, the 42mm non-illuminated model is actually LIGHTER than the x32mm (albeit by just 4g), and the 42mm illuminated version is only 1.5 oz heavier than the x32mm. In any case, I'd say (depending on the application, of course) you can't go wrong with any of the NXS 2.5-10s on a SCAR 17.

                From from NF:
                NXS 2.5-10x32mm: 19 oz/539g
                NXS 2.5-10x42mm non-illum: 19 oz/535g
                NXS 2.5-10x42mm illum: 20.5 oz/581g

                Comment

                • EndoDef
                  Member
                  • Jun 2016
                  • 286

                  Originally posted by ScottsBad
                  This is interesting. Did you have the 13" barrel? Or 16"? What ammo did they give you?

                  The match ammo accuracy has been proven to be very close to the MWS side by side. There is tons of data about the very good accuracy of the SCAR. So your experience is outside what has been observed by civilians and some ex-military. The SCAR is also lighter than the MWS which is also helpful in the civilian market.

                  I don't get where you are coming from. You think the civilian market doesn't need a light accurate .308 semi, but does need a heavier accurate .308 semi.

                  Makes NO sense, sorry.

                  13" either 118LR or just ball

                  The weight difference between the scar vs LMT is minimal. Not sure where all this lift weight omfg uber plastic stuff came from within the recent years but it's annoying. Light weight shouldn't be a selling point of anything other than a hunting rifle that you'll be carrying for hours on end.
                  Mws is a absolute hammer with almost any ammo, carries a way cheaper price tag, interchangeable barrels/calibers, tons of support and doesn't carry a excess "tax"..

                  Having served in a tier group I always sit here and scratch my head when the masses jump on a band wagon because certain weapon is issued.. Feel the same way about clone/block guns
                  Fudd Lord

                  Comment

                  • Mopar Guy
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2014
                    • 615

                    Originally posted by EndoDef
                    13" either 118LR or just ball

                    The weight difference between the scar vs LMT is minimal. Not sure where all this lift weight omfg uber plastic stuff came from within the recent years but it's annoying. Light weight shouldn't be a selling point of anything other than a hunting rifle that you'll be carrying for hours on end.
                    Mws is a absolute hammer with almost any ammo, carries a way cheaper price tag, interchangeable barrels/calibers, tons of support and doesn't carry a excess "tax"..

                    Having served in a tier group I always sit here and scratch my head when the masses jump on a band wagon because certain weapon is issued.. Feel the same way about clone/block guns
                    Interesting, I have a client whose husband was a SEAL all the way to retirement. In talking with him about guns, I asked his thoughts on the M14. He said it was good when you get hits and can remove a lot of flesh with a 7.62. His specialty was a sniper. He always used an M-16, nothing specialized (80's 90's era) unlike the video games my son plays. I thought for sure he would have used all kinds of exotic weapons with his specialty. Actually, the discussion about the Panama airport was interesting. He got lucky and was positioned to stop any escape routes of Noriega's Lear jet and was not on the runway. It was impressive to hear him explain how to prepare an old school air attack. It was all manual with grids and calling in coordinates. Now, just point a laser and an F18 missile picks it up. I highly doubt at that level, the weapon makes or brakes a mission. It also seemed like "keep it simple stupid" as a theme in the conversations and what goes wrong, usually does.

                    For me, as a civilian, still fun to play with toys at a range and hit paper targets. Only combat use I would have is for a defensive handgun.

                    Comment

                    • Eris95
                      Member
                      • Sep 2014
                      • 147

                      I bought my 17 in June for 2400 bnib, best deal i have ever had.

                      Comment

                      • Mitch
                        Mostly Harmless
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 6580

                        I love my SCAR 17. I think it's the best rifle ever (that isn't an M1). But if they get to $10,000 by the end of the year, it's gone!

                        Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                        Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                        Comment

                        • tdha
                          Junior Member
                          • Mar 2016
                          • 51

                          Picked one up for $2900 before tax a few months ago. Love the way it shoots but don't think I would shell out $5000 for one. Not because I don't think it is worth that amount, just that I could buy a comparable rifle for much less. I do understand people paying that kind of money though, there is a certain mystique factor when it comes to the 17S.

                          Comment

                          • icyteddy
                            Member
                            • Nov 2014
                            • 221

                            Originally posted by Mitch
                            I love my SCAR 17. I think it's the best rifle ever (that isn't an M1). But if they get to $10,000 by the end of the year, it's gone!

                            Those of us that have Scars 17 can hope it goes that high. Lol.. If it does I would sell mind also!! But I am not too sure if anybody would pay that much even for a Scar.

                            Comment

                            • Kowan
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jan 2015
                              • 1474

                              I'm spending my money on 7.62 x 51 and match 308. I already have an M1A Loaded and waiting to get a S &W MP10 out of jail. No time to check the market here for another gun when I still need a few more K's of ammo.

                              Comment

                              • Norcalkid
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 1971

                                I'm not sure you should be looking at CG's marketplace to see what these guns are going for. The marketplace here is about the worst place to look for good prices.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1