Time and money for me man...time and money.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Why Calgunners don't train seriously?
Collapse
X
-
-
monthly shoots
not to rip on anyone, but at the local monthly shoots, I see a few members who could benefit from training... they seem to have fun blasting and are not trying to get better....
for me, a friend and I shot about the same.. then one month he was twice as good... his secret, he took a class...
I git jealous and took a class... then another....
best way to spend money.... Olympic Athletes have coaches... all good athletes use coaches... most musicians took classes.... but for some reason, guys dont want to take classes for Driving and Shooting....Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)
Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)Comment
-
I don't have CCW myself, living in Santa Clara County probably means I never will, but then I'm planning my escape to WA.
I shoot trap for fun, so I don't bother with lessons. Its a weekend fun thing to do when I have time, as someone else said, it is entertainment and not a lifestyle. If taken too seriously the fun factor will go out and then I won't do it anymore. Which means I'll have to try something else, like golf.
If I do get a CCW however, I think I will take a lesson or 2 on how to properly carry the pistol, draw and shoot effectively.Comment
-
I think your statement "training for what you may one day encounter" is the key and deciding what you might realistically encounter and want to be prepared for is a personal decision.
The other issue is what do you mean by "train seriously" ? For far too many people that means tactical/combat/swat style training, to satisfy their fantasy of building a neighborhood assault squad for when SHTF, and anything less than rolling around in the mud for 2 days with their AR and pistol and shooting between their legs while lying on their back in a puddle isn't serious training.
For a lot of people routine range trips, occasional skill builder classes are serious training for what they think they may one day encounter. And even competitions are good training for a range of skill improvements.
So, what do you consider 'serious training'?Comment
-
First, the average Calgunner doesn't have a CCW, so they don't carry outside the house and are statistically more likely to get eaten by a shark than have a gunfight inside their home.
Second, most shooters make the mistake of thinking that owning a gun and knowing how to use it are the same thing.
Third, most shooters in general don't realize what they don't know. At least competitive shooters understand that even small pressure sources like a timer and a audience can dramatically impact your expertise in firearm use.
Fourth, quality training is expensive (>$300 for trainer + cost of ammo + time off work). If you don't have a CCW and a right to carry outside the home, it is difficult to justify the cost. (Of course, if you do have an LTC, you're a fool not to pay for some quality private training...former LE/MIL included since neither profession truly trains from the mindset of self-defense with a handgun.)My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.Comment
-
Money's tight, time is sparse.
I like hitting the range whenever I can, but no run and gun for me...yet.
I do like hanging out with other like minded folks and practicing poking holes in paper though.
Oh, and bacon! (That's the only option that really applied to me).Sorry, not sorry.
🎺

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!Comment
-
I'll ask my wife, kids, parents, employers, and get back to ya : )
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using TapatalkOriginally posted by WebologistI am in a sympathy-free zone as well. A leftist brown shirt reaping what he sowed after profiting from it is sweet justice indeed.Comment
-
Op, so I take it you are financially 100% sound, peak physical condition, and have every duck in a row? Different things matter differently to different people. : )
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using TapatalkOriginally posted by WebologistI am in a sympathy-free zone as well. A leftist brown shirt reaping what he sowed after profiting from it is sweet justice indeed.Comment
-
I agree that if you are going to be CCWing than its a must to get training at least 1 step beyond the required class.
When I took my class for my Armed Guard card, I was amazed at the experience level (or lack there of) of the rest of the guys in it. There were guys who "claimed " to be ex military and LE, that looked as if they had never held a gun let alone shot one. There was ex-Air Force, ex-UN Peace keeper, ex-some south American military, and a ex-LEO that I don't remember from where.
In basic handling I was glad the trainer was using plastic blue guns most of the day, once he had guys doing assembly, disassembly and loading/unloading of a Glock, loading and unloading of a revolver, I was waiting for the circus music to come on.
Then once we hit the range, the groups looked like shotgun patterns, but it was enough to qualify and pass the class. SCARY stuff.
Cost is the most prohibitive factor for me, followed by family obligations.
Also being in S.F. The chance of getting a CCW is about the same as Beyonce showing up at my door offering to have a threesome with me, her & Rachel Ray to get back at Jay-Z, + a $1,000,000!
I for one would and will take some classes to get my instructor certification, but until then, I'm comfortable with my own skill level and temperament under stress to handle any unforceable defense issues at home.Last edited by hardcore4sure; 05-08-2016, 2:12 PM.Comment
-
Usually due to schedule and time.... I train (boxing) and Olympic lifts 5 to 6x per week. It's local and I can train before or after work. However, talking about tactical shooting class or course. I have have to take full 2 days off usually in order to participate those type of training.
So I tend to train more hand to hand combat more than shooting. Also, I stay in top shape at the same time. Plus, $200 to $300 for 2 day course.... that's my entire one month training cost or more..Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 05-08-2016, 3:33 PM.Comment
-
I am a proponent of training. You can't go wrong with training and more training. But I don't believe training is a necessity for regular civilians that just want to have a simple gun to defend their home.
I would like to take a training class but I can't grow a beard. I don't look tacticool at all. I would not fit in. And most importantly I've got to take care of day-to-day priorities.
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkComment
-
I did a level 1 defensive handgun course. Didn't see a need to go further for ccw. I'm more interested in the carbine course, mostly because I think those are more fun and I can be a super mall ninja (I really do work in a mall).WTS HK USP45c http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1304283Comment
-
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,585
Posts: 25,149,515
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,889
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 35174 users online. 130 members and 35044 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment