Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Why Calgunners don't train seriously?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • heidad01
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 4902

    Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
    YouTube Channel. Check
    Tactical Beard Check
    Subdued Flag Ball Cap. Check
    5.11 Tactical Pants. Check
    Wrap around glasses. Check
    Loud Guitar Intro Music. Check
    Bouncy GoPro footage. Check
    Eye Candy Bimbo Assistant. Check
    Vague "classified" Resume' Check

    And don't forget to start EVERY video with "Hey Guys"
    Well said.

    Comment

    • MrOrange
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2006
      • 2262

      Originally posted by Mayor McRifle
      I've had my beard since 1997. I'm not shaving, so I guess I'm out.
      Mebbe he doesn't want gay guys bringing along the pleasant female co-worker that they take home for Thanksgiving?




      Originally posted by motorcycle_dan
      Interesting topic, why not train. The fire extinguisher example is very valid. Much more likely to need to acquire and deploy the extinguisher than a firearm. I run an air pistol league. Very inexpensive and all equipment is provided, you only need to show up. Targets, pellets, Olympic grade air pistols all free for use by league members. $20 covers the cost for all 10 weeks of the league. Training and coaching provided. My observation, is that some people do not like to know how bad they suck. Law enforcement seems to be the worst. We had a few but they did not stay with it. I use air pistol as measure of how well I can place a shot on average. Very challenging. No recoil, no ammo cost, no noise, just my ability to squeeze the trigger in reaction to visual cues observed in sight alignment. Will this help me if I'm attacked by three large assailants as I return to my car from grocery shopping. I dunno but I like to think so. Handling is familiar and intuitive. I do need to practice more with the fire extinguisher tho
      I'd guess that after you shoot the first one between the eyes, the other two large assailants would either flee or at least pause long enough for your next aim & press.

      I seriously thought about spending the money and using up an extinguisher or two for training, but couldn't think of anywhere to let it fly w/o p-o'ing somebody or another, other than way out in the wilderness, which would probably be considered an illegal chemical dump and get me sent to Club Fed for mandatory live-in tennis lessons.
      I meant, it is my opinion that...






      I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
      I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
      You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

      Comment

      • ChuckDizzle
        Banned
        • Dec 2013
        • 4398

        Originally posted by MrOrange
        Mebbe he doesn't want gay guys bringing along the pleasant female co-worker that they take home for Thanksgiving?






        I'd guess that after you shoot the first one between the eyes, the other two large assailants would either flee or at least pause long enough for your next aim & press.

        I seriously thought about spending the money and using up an extinguisher or two for training, but couldn't think of anywhere to let it fly w/o p-o'ing somebody or another, other than way out in the wilderness, which would probably be considered an illegal chemical dump and get me sent to Club Fed for mandatory live-in tennis lessons.
        When I was a teen my Boy Scout troop visited the local firehouse and they had a bunch that were expired. We got to use them to put our small fires in coffee cans and I ain't going to lie it was crazy fun.

        Comment

        • tanks
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2014
          • 4038

          Originally posted by FeuerFrei
          ...
          Many ranges do not even allow a double tap or other tactics etc.. Insurance reasons and safety concerns a plenty...
          One drill that can be done at an indoor range and that is is even better than double tap is to load a round and eject the mag, then fire a round and dry fire another. Almost same as double tap except it also helps with flinching as you want to make sure the sights do not move on the dry fire.
          "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
          "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

          Comment

          • Bobby Ricigliano
            Mit Gott und Mauser
            CGN Contributor
            • Feb 2011
            • 17439

            My earlier posting was out of line and has been deleted. Sorry OP.

            Comment

            • Danodog
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • May 2013
              • 2533

              I am a recreational shooter and hunter. I am not an operator type. I feel qualified enough to use my 590A1 in case of an emergency. I am that kind of guy that took off the plastic tactical stock and for-end and replaced it with wood. I have been lucky enough to be trained by some old school hunters over the years.

              The only class I would consider is the Appleseed training, just because it seems different than most of the other classes I have seen online. I think training is a great idea, but mine came from many respectable shooters over the years. I guess there are different ways to learn.
              Calguns Contributor
              NRA Benefactor Member
              CRPA Member
              San Diego County Gun Owners Patriot Member
              What have you done for 2A lately?

              Comment

              • FLDWRX
                Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 381

                Read some threads here on CG about intruders and use of force.
                A lot of comments. Different opinions of how things could have/should have been handled.
                And whether the stories are true or not doesn't change the initial perspectives and responses of the "comment section".
                To each their own.
                I'll train so that my actions are governed by the training, not fear or rage that is a natural by-product for humans in a threatening situation.
                Some things to consider.
                In a dynamic stress (chaos) situation, we have “control” over only two things: ourselves and our equipment, and that is to a moderate degree. We should look to learn to master both.
                As good people, we do not pick the time or place for violence, we should prepare ourselves accordingly.
                Not to sound dramatic, but the lessons are written in blood: people have paid the ultimate price to give us insight on how we can survive a dire situation.
                Again. This isn't for the casual shooter, it's for the guys that own a weapon for protection.

                Comment

                • viet4lifeOC
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2010
                  • 4888

                  Originally posted by tanks
                  One drill that can be done at an indoor range and that is is even better than double tap is to load a round and eject the mag, then fire a round and dry fire another. Almost same as double tap except it also helps with flinching as you want to make sure the sights do not move on the dry fire.
                  Cool.

                  I'm going to do this at the next range visit.

                  Thanks

                  Comment

                  • Thefeeder
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2007
                    • 5007

                    Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                    If you don't want operator courses, then don't take them. But it's silly to dismiss higher education because you don't want to be come a doctor; just don't go to med school.



                    If a duck ever breaks into your home and threatens you with a firearm I guess you're prepared.
                    With adrenalin flowing:

                    Awareness of others in the vicinity
                    Staying in your field of fire
                    Assessing your field of fire as the target presents its self
                    Making multiple shots at multiple target...in real time and are moving
                    Putting shots on target while on your knees, on your back, and a lot of other contorted positions
                    Crearing jams in a real time situation...again, with adrenalin flowing
                    Speed loading in a real time situation
                    Shell changes
                    When to break concealment
                    Shooting without the use of the sights
                    Shooting over and around barriers

                    And the most important, put the shots on target when it counts

                    Not bad training in my book. Yea I think a duck hunter will hold their own
                    Last edited by Thefeeder; 05-17-2016, 3:02 PM.

                    Comment

                    • BoJackUSMC
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 7091

                      5x per week Olympic lifting, boxing, and stick fighting... honestly, do not have any extra time to train on shooting when I have to drive few hours or pay decent amount of $$ for few hours of training. As for me, I could always use more firearm training, but for now I rather focus on hand to hand combat. Also, I get to stay in shape while doing it.

                      Average person will get into more fist fights than shoot out.

                      Comment

                      • Calico1404
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2016
                        • 3401

                        Good topic OP> I see a lot of people who are implying "Money" is the issue they don't train, and/or do not get our more often.

                        I have gone out with a group as well as solo and expended only 10 cartridges, it is not about how much brass you can throw down range, it is about using those limited rounds to create the most effectiveness. Even simply training on clearing malfunctions or one of my favs is having a buddy load my mags for me with a alternate number of rounds, during live fire I would have to drop and reload with out notice, some mags 2 rounds some had all 10. Training is training, knowing your platform, understanding its limits and its strengths. Would you use your pistol to engage a 75 yard target? Would you use your carbine to breach a small room? Even taking out your shot gun and practicing steady control and or fast reloads for that situation you may be in one night whereas you only had 3 shells in your tube but needed 4 shots to complete the task.

                        No need for super expensive classes in my opinion. I have learned a lot of skills and techniques just by going out with other sportsmen and trading information/tactics.

                        Good post OP< lets see if it can get some folks out in the field.

                        Comment

                        • OlderThanDirt
                          FUBAR
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 5999

                          Originally posted by Thefeeder
                          With adrenalin flowing:

                          Awareness of others in the vicinity
                          Staying in your field of fire
                          Assessing your field of fire as the target presents its self
                          Making multiple shots at multiple target...in real time and are moving
                          Putting shots on target while on your knees, on your back, and a lot of other contorted positions
                          Crearing jams in a real time situation...again, with adrenalin flowing
                          Speed loading in a real time situation
                          Shell changes
                          When to break concealment
                          Shooting without the use of the sights
                          Shooting over and around barriers

                          And the most important, put the shots on target when it counts

                          Not bad training in my book. Yea I think a duck hunter will hold their own
                          ^^^ This.

                          I'm confident that the police and government will take care of all my security needs.

                          I have been hunting for over 50 years. I know how to go out, kill something and put food on the table. I don't feel a need to go out and train specifically to hunt long pig.

                          What I could use is more practice. I just don't get out enough to keep my skills sharp all the time. I'll leave the SHTF scenarios to the young operators here and stick to my hunting and gathering activities and securing my cave.
                          We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, but they are still lying. ~ Solzhenitsyn
                          Thermidorian Reaction . . Prepare for it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1