Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lame coworker

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    bsg
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2009
    • 25954

    firearms aren't for everyone and some things just come in their own time.

    Comment

    • #47
      misnlink
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2015
      • 81

      Originally posted by duckman1
      My wife cried and had to leave the store when I purchased my first handgun, I had many shotguns and rifles at the time. She was overwhelmed that I was buying a gun designed to kill people.......

      Fast forward to today, 28 years later and she has developed a severe range addiction forcing me to purchase even more handguns and long guns.
      That's simply awesome.
      Ducks Unlimited Life Sponsor
      NRA Life Member
      CGF Contributor
      Shoot mostly HKs, & ducks

      Comment

      • #48
        sloppy joe
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 776

        that guy missed out on a great outing. That's ok the hobby doesn't need people like that anyway.

        Comment

        • #49
          Messerschmitts
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2013
          • 882

          I've been trying to "convert" one of my coworkers to our gun culture. He's curious about guns but has never shot one. I've offered to teach him the basics of gun safety and take him to the range multiple times. He always chickens out at the last moment, admits he's too anxious. This weekend he says he's finally worked up the courage, we'll see. Like I told him, the ball is in his court. If he flakes on me one more time I'm gonna stop asking. More ammo for me.

          I've got another friend who lives in New York (I know, I know). He's my best buddy from med school. I've tried to talk him into going shooting with me. "I can't, I'm going to accidentally shoot myself". Facepalm. At least I can always count of my little brother to go shooting with me (and mooch off my ammo LOL).

          Comment

          • #50
            ronstafari
            CGSSA Associate
            • Jul 2014
            • 160

            Reminds me of my brother. I took him to the range one day and he had no issue shooting my guns and ammo. He didn't want to admit it but I'm pretty sure he thoroughly enjoyed himself. As we were leaving he commented that the experience was "ok", but he didn't like the "fact that guns are designed only for killing."

            I then asked him how many people he killed at the range and he said zero.... After that he realized what he was saying and I still give him crap for it to this day

            Comment

            • #51
              MosinVirus
              Happily Infected
              CGN Contributor
              • Sep 2013
              • 5282

              Here is a success story.

              Another coworker of mine just told me that he has shot a gun for the first time and was very surprised that he enjoyed it so much. He is on of the guys that at some point showed interest and never went.

              Here is how it happened. He and his wife went out to a dinner with another couple. As they were getting the bill, the other couple (gun owners) said they wanted to go to a range and invited my coworker and his wife to go with. Apparently they were already relaxed enough and having just ate, they didn't argue.

              They went to an indoor range, and my coworker admitted that at first every gun shot scared him a bit, but he said he was surprised at how fast he got over it and stopped paying attention to gun fire sounds.

              Overall he said he was not expecting it to be so much fun. I am afraid to turn him off by pressing, so I just gave him kudos for finally trying and didn't say anything else. I will work on him gently and over time. Maybe get him to go again..

              Moral of the story for me is to do something else with someone first. Not make this a dedicated thing. Kind of an afterthought.

              I will have to try it with someone else who is currently on the fence. Go see a movie, have dinner and then "hey, we are going to the range. Want to come? It will be fun."
              Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

              Comment

              • #52
                MosinVirus
                Happily Infected
                CGN Contributor
                • Sep 2013
                • 5282

                Here is a success story.

                Another coworker of mine just told me that he has shot a gun for the first time and was very surprised that he enjoyed it so much. He is on of the guys that at some point showed interest and never went.

                Here is how it happened. He and his wife went out to a dinner with another couple. As they were getting the bill, the other couple (gun owners) said they wanted to go to a range and invited my coworker and his wife to go with. Apparently they were already relaxed enough and having just ate, they didn't argue.

                They went to an indoor range, and my coworker admitted that at first every gun shot scared him a bit, but he said he was surprised at how fast he got over it and stopped paying attention to gun fire sounds.

                Overall he said he was not expecting it to be so much fun. I am afraid to turn him off by pressing, so I just gave him kudos for finally trying and didn't say anything else. I will work on him gently and over time. Maybe get him to go again..

                Moral of the story for me is to do something else with someone first. Not make this a dedicated thing. Kind of an afterthought.

                I will have to try it with someone else who is currently on the fence. Go see a movie, have dinner and then "hey, we are going to the range. Want to come? It will be fun."
                Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

                Comment

                • #53
                  ZombieLivesMatter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2016
                  • 2533

                  I wonder if there's any statistics on the percentage of legal gun owners who have killed people with firearms,
                  Well I Googled it and found its like 3% of legal gun owners
                  Originally posted by gwgn02
                  G-shock, a good way to tell the time, and better way to tell the female variety you are unworthy mating material.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    CandG
                    Spent $299 for this text!
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 16970

                    My boss just recently started getting way into guns, he bought his first one last year and now has at least 12 or 15. So he tells me to bring some guns to work so we can have a range day. I thought, awesome!! So I brought all my favorite toys in their cases to work, put them under my desk, where they sat there collecting dust for a month while he kept coming up with reasons why we couldn't go that day, or the next, or the next. We did finally go, and it was awesome, but I'm not too keen on storing half my collection under my desk at work indefinitely anymore. Still, it's hard to complain about working at a place that would even allow that
                    Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                    Comment

                    • #55
                      CandG
                      Spent $299 for this text!
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Apr 2014
                      • 16970

                      Originally posted by ZombieLivesMatter
                      I wonder if there's any statistics on the percentage of legal gun owners who have killed people with firearms,
                      Well I Googled it and found its like 3% of legal gun owners
                      http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...crimes-commit/
                      Really? Honestly I'm surprised it's that high, I would have guessed more like 0.3% or 0.03%.
                      Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                      Comment

                      • #56
                        IVC
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jul 2010
                        • 17640

                        Originally posted by Epaphroditus
                        I always take them to my house in a relaxed setting and go over safety and some simple handling rules first. Let them get used to the idea and actually handle a few outside of any chance to actually shoot.
                        ^^^ This.

                        All the people I take to the range start in my home where we go over safety, how guns work, how ammunition works, the difference between "bullet" and a "round," etc. We do complete handling and simulated hot/cold transitions (my range is an outdoor range) before getting into proper grip techniques, how to squeeze the trigger, etc. Finally, we go over what is going to happen at the range: fire a single round in semi-controlled manner (pointing at the target, but not too concerned with aiming) just to get the feel for it, then several single-shots and then, when I can confirm they are safe and they feel comfortable, load the magazine with more than one round and start enjoying.

                        I would never take someone to the range and try to let them figure it out while everybody is shooting around them.
                        sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Mitch
                          Mostly Harmless
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 6580

                          Originally posted by ronstafari
                          Reminds me of my brother. I took him to the range one day and he had no issue shooting my guns and ammo. He didn't want to admit it but I'm pretty sure he thoroughly enjoyed himself. As we were leaving he commented that the experience was "ok", but he didn't like the "fact that guns are designed only for killing."

                          I then asked him how many people he killed at the range and he said zero....
                          Maybe he was doing it wrong.
                          Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                          Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            IVC
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 17640

                            Being a flake is not gun-specific. Many people simply don't respect others' time and money.
                            sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              IVC
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 17640

                              Originally posted by ZombieLivesMatter
                              Well I Googled it and found its like 3% of legal gun owners
                              http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...crimes-commit/
                              Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                              Really? Honestly I'm surprised it's that high, I would have guessed more like 0.3% or 0.03%.
                              Heh, it's the other way around - "around 3% of murders are committed with legally owned guns."

                              Big difference...
                              sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                CandG
                                Spent $299 for this text!
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Apr 2014
                                • 16970

                                Originally posted by IVC
                                Heh, it's the other way around - "around 3% of murders are committed with legally owned guns."

                                Big difference...
                                That sounds far more likely indeed
                                Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1