Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Wired Article on Ghost Gunner CNC Mill for 80% Lower

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nick
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Aug 2008
    • 19152

    Wired Article on Ghost Gunner CNC Mill for 80% Lower

    This time he works for Wired:

    I have no technical understanding of firearms and little mastery of power tools. Still, I made a fully functional AR-15.


    So, he went from his state of residence in New York to CA (San Francisco, of course) to build a gun. Isn't that a federal felony? Frankly, I'd love to see him prosecuted, if that's the case. They advocate for tougher and more moronic gun laws - well, let them learn how easy it is to break one without even realizing you did anything wrong.

    Some excerpts:

    I Made an Untraceable AR-15 ‘Ghost Gun’ in My Office—And It Was Easy
    He tried to make the lower using a drill press, a 3D printer, and, finally, using the Ghost Gunner CNC mill appliance. He then bought the rest of the parts from Ares. He then assembled it, fired it, liked it, and... got outraged that it's not prohibited, and decided to surrender it to the police, so that it's "under law enforcement awareness and control", being the good little subject that he is.

    Exorcising My Ghost Gun

    The day after that shooting field trip, I had a flight home to New York. Taking my ghost gun on a plane—legally, three ghost guns, in fact, since I had created three lower receivers—seemed unwise. I couldn’t leave them in WIRED’s office in San Francisco either, because that might count as legally transferring ownership of the unserialized guns, which is a felony. I considered destroying them with a hacksaw, but regulations posted online by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms seem to demand that a lower receiver be destroyed with a blowtorch, removing enough metal that it can’t possibly be welded back together.

    So instead I decided to surrender my three lower receivers to the local police. I disassembled my AR-15 and left a large box containing all of the parts except the lower receivers on my editor’s chair. Then I walked down the street to the police station in San Francisco’s SoMa neighborhood and told the lady at the front desk I wanted to hand over some firearm components. She gave me a puzzled look and asked me to sit down.

    Forty minutes later, two cops emerged from a door and asked what I was doing there. I explained and showed them the three lower receivers. They examined them with expressions that were simultaneously quizzical and bored. I asked them if it was common to see AR-15 lower receivers like these: homemade, with no serial numbers. “I’ve never seen this before,” one of them said.

    The cops gave me a handwritten receipt for the three weapons I’d turned in, as if to definitively show that these were no longer outside of law enforcement’s awareness or control: They now had a number. Then they took my lower receivers behind their locked door and I said goodbye to my ghost gun.

    When this story published, the Ghost Gunner still sat in a storage room of WIRED’s office a few blocks away. It’s ready to make another lower receiver at any time. And Defense Distributed has already sold more than a thousand of their gun-making boxes, each one a tiny, easy-to-use, anarchic rifle factory.

    In other words, to paraphrase the rifleman’s creed again, this ghost gun was mine. But there will be many like it.
    Last edited by nick; 06-03-2015, 8:13 PM.
    DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

    DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
    sigpic
  • #2
    landsend
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2014
    • 31

    Wired Article on Ghost Gunner CNC Mill for 80% Lower

    Interesting article on the Ghost Gunner CNC mill by Defense Distributed. The author (self-described as having no skill with tools) finishes an 80% lower and builds a working rifle for the article.

    I have no technical understanding of firearms and little mastery of power tools. Still, I made a fully functional AR-15.

    Comment

    • #3
      Capybara
      CGSSA Coordinator
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2012
      • 15643

      Heard him today "To the Point" on KCRW with Warren Olney. Typical San Francisco Statist Liberal. Tried to plead that, "I don't want this story to be political" then spends the next 10 minutes spouting off inaccuracies, falsehoods and a complete self-admitted lack of knowledge about what he is talking about. His agenda was so obvious it was ridiculous. Both and he Olney were aghast that a free citizen could "legally build a gun" and the entire segment implied that this is what criminals regularly do. I have written for Wired, nothing gun related though and I will never work for "the enemy" again. They employ knuckleheads like Greenberg to do inaccurate hit pieces. Too bad they won't give equal time to a pro gunner citizen who would write about the process and how neat it is that any non-prohibited FREE citizen can build his or her own gun.
      NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        antiseen
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 837

        I assumed that our ability to build our own weapons was not limited to our state of residence. Obviously state and local laws apply wherever you currently are building. Could be wrong about the first part. Don't know because I haven't done it nor am planning to, so haven't researched.

        Comment

        • #5
          Peter.Steele
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2010
          • 7351

          Originally posted by antiseen
          I assumed that our ability to build our own weapons was not limited to our state of residence. Obviously state and local laws apply wherever you currently are building. Could be wrong about the first part. Don't know because I haven't done it nor am planning to, so haven't researched.


          Nope - gotta do it in your home state. If you do it out of state, you're acquiring a gun across state lines, no different than if you were buying it across state lines.
          NRA Life Member

          No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            Bigtwin
            Veteran Member
            • May 2010
            • 2639

            Author needs to go the hell back to NY.
            NRA MEMBER

            Comment

            • #7
              Mr.Sandman
              Senior Member
              • May 2011
              • 557

              Originally posted by antiseen
              I assumed that our ability to build our own weapons was not limited to our state of residence. Obviously state and local laws apply wherever you currently are building. Could be wrong about the first part. Don't know because I haven't done it nor am planning to, so haven't researched.
              That would have been the much more interesting article. The quagmire that is federal, state, and local laws regarding firearms. I am all for states rights but it does seems ridiculous that you can be a criminal for owning the same object in different states or even localities. Some things just need to be standardized across state borders.

              Comment

              • #8
                Gio
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2008
                • 10251

                Oh no, not a ghost gun
                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                Comment

                • #9
                  SonofWWIIDI
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 21583

                  What a gigantic a**-hat.

                  Sorry, not sorry.
                  🎺

                  Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    antiseen
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • 837

                    Originally posted by Peter.Steele
                    Nope - gotta do it in your home state. If you do it out of state, you're acquiring a gun across state lines, no different than if you were buying it across state lines.
                    I'm not convinced. I'm not saying I know it isn't illegal, I'm just saying I'm not so sure it is illegal.

                    Federal law covers ffl purchases and ppt between a resident and non resident. They are both legal or illegal depending on how the transfer is done. Going to another state and buying ftf with no ffl, or even at an ffl = illegal. Resident of one state sends firearm to purchasers state ffl = legal. Similar for ffl buying. Illegal to go to Arizona to buy a rifle to circumvent CA waiting period law but legal to buy the firearm there and have it shipped to ffl at home for paperwork/waiting period per CA law.

                    Building a firearm isn't buying, selling, or transferring.

                    I'm not trying to be smart or a know it all, just interested in what actual federal law says it's illegal to build a firearm in a state that isn't your resident state.

                    I'd spend hours and hours of research and scouring if I was actually planning on doing this. This is just for fun knowledge.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bullets&Whitewalls
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 2380

                      Originally posted by antiseen
                      I'm not convinced. I'm not saying I know it isn't illegal, I'm just saying I'm not so sure it is illegal.

                      Federal law covers ffl purchases and ppt between a resident and non resident. They are both legal or illegal depending on how the transfer is done. Going to another state and buying ftf with no ffl, or even at an ffl = illegal. Resident of one state sends firearm to purchasers state ffl = legal. Similar for ffl buying. Illegal to go to Arizona to buy a rifle to circumvent CA waiting period law but legal to buy the firearm there and have it shipped to ffl at home for paperwork/waiting period per CA law.

                      Building a firearm isn't buying, selling, or transferring.

                      I'm not trying to be smart or a know it all, just interested in what actual federal law says it's illegal to build a firearm in a state that isn't your resident state.

                      I'd spend hours and hours of research and scouring if I was actually planning on doing this. This is just for fun knowledge.

                      I too question wether it truly would be illegal or not. Consider this, you can buy parts from PSA and TM both out of state and legally sent to your residence in California. And for the sake of the argument you travel to say Wyoming to your cabin for a hunt and while there decide to build your rifle. I know it's a bit of a stretch and not the same thing he did but technically speaking what law is being broken? Considering only the fact that you assembled something out of legally owned and purchased parts.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CSACANNONEER
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 44094

                        Well, it's a good thing that the police officer had never seen one used in a crime. It just goes to help prove that homebuilders aren't criminals.
                        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                        Utah CCW Instructor


                        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                        sigpic
                        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                        KM6WLV

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          SWalt
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 8702

                          Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                          Well, it's a good thing that the police officer had never seen one used in a crime. It just goes to help prove that homebuilders aren't criminals.
                          Excellent point
                          ^^^The above is just an opinion.

                          NRA Patron Member
                          CRPA 5 yr Member

                          "...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            nick
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 19152

                            Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                            Well, it's a good thing that the police officer had never seen one used in a crime. It just goes to help prove that homebuilders aren't criminals.
                            There was one in Santa Monica a couple of years ago. However, he used other guns as well.
                            DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

                            DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              nothinghere2c
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 2259

                              hahahahhahahahah what a whiney sack of s***
                              scared by his own piece of metal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1