Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Wired Article on Ghost Gunner CNC Mill for 80% Lower

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    morthrane
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 954

    Originally posted by liber
    I watched it again, and don't see where any violation occurred. Per the youtube page, the author states: "I Made an Untraceable AR-15 'Ghost Gun' In My Office".

    This is to say, he did the manufacturing on his own premises/office using the Ghost Gunner, drill press, and 3D printer.

    While the gun shop does in fact allow him to use some tools to assemble the rifle, he didn't manufacture the firearm on their premises, AFAICT.

    Where do you think the violation occurred?
    http://www.wired.com/2015/06/i-made-...-15-ghost-gun/:
    I could hardly judge the fancy new CNC mill in WIRED’s office without trying that method too. Or for that matter, Defense Distributed’s previous trick, building gun parts with a 3-D printer. Before I realized exactly what I was getting into, I determined to try all three methods in a ghost-gun-making case study. I would build an untraceable AR-15 all three ways I’ve heard of: using the old-fashioned drill press method, a commercially available 3-D printer, and finally, Defense Distributed’s new gun-making machine.
    I left the grease-soaked drill press in WIRED’s loading dock, headed back upstairs, and pulled a $2,800 Makerbot Replicator from its box.
    Taking my ghost gun on a plane—legally, three ghost guns, in fact, since I had created three lower receivers—seemed unwise. I couldn’t leave them in WIRED’s office in San Francisco either, because that might count as legally transferring ownership of the unserialized guns, which is a felony.
    When this story published, the Ghost Gunner still sat in a storage room of WIRED’s office a few blocks away. It’s ready to make another lower receiver at any time.

    I guess the question is whether WIRED is a business or not.

    Originally posted by saki302
    Hmm.. "or to use machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion or control "

    This seems to mean that if you rented a machine shop with NO ASSISTANCE and the machinery was fully under YOUR control, it would be okay?
    That's pretty much what happened before the ATF harassed build parties and later released their new rulings... so probably not OK. You'd rent a machine or two, and handle all the setup and program execution without assistance. It would seem that's no longer OK. Heck, it isn't OK anymore for a non-business home build party to charge money, solicit donations, or even exchanges of goods and services.

    Comment

    • #77
      BMartin1776
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 1051

      so am I right that he broke the law finishing the lower in the gunshop? Yes he did milling in his home but final assembly etc was done using the shop
      SavingtheRepublic Through The Art of Political Guerrilla Warfare

      Comment

      • #78
        morthrane
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 954

        Originally posted by BMartin1776
        so am I right that he broke the law finishing the lower in the gunshop? Yes he did milling in his home but final assembly etc was done using the shop
        His home, according to the article, is in New York. So... no on the milling part.

        Comment

        • #79
          liber
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2014
          • 1868

          Originally posted by kcstott
          Incorrect

          Manufacturing doesn't end until the firearm is full functional for the first time.

          After that is assembly. Read the federal law on when an 07 FFL is required
          I was under the impression (and could be wrong as you state), that it is in reference to the completed receiver. Once a receiver is completed you have violated the law, as far as I knew, even if it's assembled or not, it is a legal firearm.

          As a side note, I saw your article on the Sierra site about you and your uncle earlier this year. Good read. I stumbled upon it looking for load data for SMKs.

          Originally posted by morthrane
          I guess the question is whether WIRED is a business or not.
          However, this piece certainly complicates this issue, and IANAL, but it seems he did complete the lower on their premises, *AND* it wasn't even for personal use, it was for the commercial intent of writing the article. I guess he could claim he was building it for personal use and writing the article for his job, not sure how the court would look at that. OTOH, maybe that is why he turned them into the police.

          Didn't say if he took the Ghost Gunner back to NY or not...maybe he's not as dumb as we think he is...
          sigpic
          --------- liber --------

          From my cold dead end mill...

          Comment

          • #80
            morthrane
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 954

            Originally posted by liber
            However, this piece certainly complicates this issue, and IANAL, but it seems he did complete the lower on their premises, *AND* it wasn't even for personal use, it was for the commercial intent of writing the article.
            Nah, that part I would think he's fine on. It only matters if the firearm itself is made for further commercial use, such as a sale to a 3rd party.

            Originally posted by liber
            OTOH, maybe that is why he turned them into the police.
            As ke6guj noted... it would have been a federal crime to bring them back to his home state of NY. I really doubt there was anything else standing in his way from transporting the firearms via locked case. Do they even bother checking serial numbers for locked case airline transport?

            Comment

            • #81
              liber
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2014
              • 1868

              Originally posted by morthrane
              As ke6guj noted... it would have been a federal crime to bring them back to his home state of NY. I really doubt there was anything else standing in his way from transporting the firearms via locked case. Do they even bother checking serial numbers for locked case airline transport?
              Is it legal to take it across state lines without going through an FFL? I thought all firearms had to be transferred through an FFL between states.
              sigpic
              --------- liber --------

              From my cold dead end mill...

              Comment

              • #82
                morthrane
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2006
                • 954

                Originally posted by liber
                Is it legal to take it across state lines without going through an FFL? I thought all firearms had to be transferred through an FFL between states.
                IANAL, but I think the Mance v. Holder complaint gives a pretty good idea of what is required.

                Manufacturing a receiver, however, doesn't strike me as a party-to-party transfer. ke6guj's post covered it quite well... but on reflection, it makes me wonder if the writer was actually guilty of an illegal interstate transfer. Once he finished the receiver into a fully functional gun, he has "received" (my words) the firearm, from unlicensed manufacturer to private ownership, across interstate lines.

                Comment

                • #83
                  Myles100
                  Member
                  • Feb 2015
                  • 404

                  Straight from Ghost Gunner today! Seems like the present administration is trying to stop the shadetree home gunsmithing industry.


                  Like Tweet



                  Emailbanner1






                  We have a lot of ground to cover, Ghost Gunners.

                  Since our last update we have shipped our initial run of 200 machines, and are now shipping about 10 a day to complete those 300 orders originally scheduled for fulfillment in Q1 of this year. We've broken the shipping delays down from six months to three, and by the end of the summer we'll have six week lead times for current wait list orders. All credit for this is due to the hard work of the boys here at the shop. We overcame significant supplier failures early in the year and are finally catching up because of your patience.

                  I'll continue with a word on shipping, but I want to update you on events since our last update, some of which are very serious.




                  ***





                  Payments and Order Lookup

                  A mere two days after our April shipping announcement, DD's longtime payments processor PayPal abruptly began refusing to process our orders and froze up many hundreds of thousands of dollars in our account while they invented a "terms of use review" for our product.

                  Many Ghost Gunner customers were personally emailed in the week thereafter and actually asked by PayPal for what purpose they intended to use their machine. I found both of these actions outrageous and condemned PayPal with the strongest language when I spoke with their risk department at the end of April, ending our relationship.

                  Now, PayPal is known to not be friendly to gun-related companies, this is true. And like our payments processor before them they acted like their hands were tied, but rather than cancel our accounts, they froze DD's funds and then demanded a ten million dollar reserve before they'd process any more payments. This happens to be the exact sum for which the company was recently fined for their deceptive trade practices. Coincidence? I'll let you decide. For my part, I told them to go to hell and refunded many of your orders.

                  Our break with PayPal also limited the usefulness of our order lookup system. Many of you have emailed asking about the status of your order as cancelled or refunded. Because that system is tied to payments status, it is no longer accurate since we have jumped ship and are now using an entirely different payments and ordering system. It's ugly, but I want you to know that you are still receiving your boxes and we are still shipping them, even though lookups and notices don't seem to be accurate.

                  Wired Magazine recently published a review of the Ghost Gunner, and we're pleased with the demonstration. Unfortunately our most recent payments provider was spooked by the press and we are yet again unable to process further wait list or final balance orders via credit card or bank transfer. Stay tuned here.




                  ***





                  ITAR and First/Second Amendments

                  The news you've recently heard about the Obama Administration regulating speech related to guns on the Internet is true and actually worse than the NRA-ILA message has indicated. The State Department is now formalizing the power to police all public exchange of data related to any category of munition online. I'm frustrated with the NRA's rhetoric, which is that ITAR has not yet been used to block websites or harm public speech. This is a lie springing from the organization's refusal to develop a position on homemade and 3D firearms.

                  The Sate Department has in fact harassed and censored this company for two years with the ITAR. Every compliance move we make in an attempt to publish CAD files or gun software is re-routed, stymied or ignored. This Federal power grab isn't a hypothetical, future scenario. It is already US policy and is being used to target politically-motivated speech related to the Second Amendment.

                  State has even directly threatened this company over opening our Ghost Gunner forum. The forum is literally closed to registration as of today because the US government doesn't want us to be able to support an open-source DIY product expanding your 2A franchise. We are unable to publicly develop our machine with you until this agency has been corrected.

                  Because of this malicious set of laws, Defense Distributed filed suit against the State Department in early May. We've brought a First Amendment lawsuit and we are joined by the Second Amendment foundation and other legal talents in Texas. I want to emphasize that none of the gun lobbies are funding this effort and neither are they willing. Defense Distributed alone has has funded this multi-year endeavor and only by the success of Ghost Gunner and your patience were we able to afford to reach this filing.

                  I'll update you all at the right time about this matter in more depth, but our current filings may be found here. Our first hearing is ordered for July 6.

                  I at least hope that with the NRA's spotlight and the public comment period offered for the new regulations, the reg will be pulled. Comments will be accepted on the regulations until August 3, 2015, and they may be submitted online at regulations.gov or via e-mail at DDTCPublicComments@state.gov
                  A wise monkey, never monkeys with another monkey's monkey

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    Thoughts
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • 523

                    Originally posted by morthrane
                    IANAL, but I think the Once he finished the receiver into a fully functional gun, he has "received" (my words) the firearm, from unlicensed manufacturer to private ownership, across interstate lines.
                    How could he "receive" a gun from himself? I don't see how that word could apply, albeit I'm using English definitions, not lawyer speak. I'm also ignoring the part about using the office, for the moment. Or is that central to your argument?

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      morthrane
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 954

                      Originally posted by Thoughts
                      How could he "receive" a gun from himself? I don't see how that word could apply, albeit I'm using English definitions, not lawyer speak. I'm also ignoring the part about using the office, for the moment. Or is that central to your argument?
                      Hell if I know. You can tell me why its considered a "sale" if someone manufactures a firearm for their own private use, per tax law, while you're at it.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1