Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How much is too much ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    RawHP
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2014
    • 633

    I shot about 15K-16K rounds last year, mostly new ammo, but I also dipped into my stash. This year I've only shot about 2K, seemed like there was too much wind every time I had an opportunity to go to the range. All that means that I was able to add to my stash this year, instead of dipping into it. Up until now, just buying steadily, with some discipline around not overpaying has been enough, but when the new laws kick in, that won't be an option. I'll be buying a case of match ammo sometime between now and the election, since there will be no option to buy that stuff in the future. Bulk might occasionally be available if you're lucky.

    Comment

    • #32
      readysetgo
      CGSSA Coordinator
      • Aug 2011
      • 8694

      Well prepared hoarder.
      Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

      Comment

      • #33
        Grumpyoldretiredcop
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2008
        • 6437

        How much it too much? When the garage door won't close anymore for all the pallets of .22, that's when.
        I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

        Comment

        • #34
          HOGDOG1955
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2012
          • 2401

          this thread made me go count receipts for the last 10 months and ive spent 9 grand on ammo. im almost at 100 thousand rounds of 22 now . i DO NOT plan on getting an ammo card. ive been seriously stackin ammo for the last four years and im not quite done yet.

          Comment

          • #35
            RawHP
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2014
            • 633

            Originally posted by readysetgo
            Well prepared hoarder.
            I still have about 4 bricks of this stuff. Got them for $7 a brick, mid-90s vintage; Traders Sports, San Leandro; bought my Winchester 1300 there. Closed its doors in 2003 after 35 years in business. SF Gun Exchange, my favorite place to go at lunchtime, got my Gold Cup, my S&W 686, and my wife's Lady Smith there. Good memories. Closed its doors after 52 years in business in 1999. Every decent established shop in a 50 mile radius has closed. Made it through the primer shortage in the late 90s, powder shortages, and ammo shortages, so it's not like there weren't signs that these times were coming.

            The old guys at my range will pull out 35 year old boxes of Eley Tenex from their crates. Sometimes they'll throw a pile of them my way to test in my 10/22, even though they may be down to their last couple of cases. Their eyes might not be so good now, so they want to see someone else enjoy some great ammo. I guess you might call them hoarders too, but I think they're great guys, and smart. I can see myself paying back when I'm retired, just like them, if there's still a range to go to.

            Anyway, these things still shoot with about the same accuracy as MiniMag round nose, never a failure to fire. Was good stuff for cheap ammo.

            Comment

            • #36
              freescopesdad
              Member
              CGN Contributor
              • Nov 2015
              • 105

              Originally posted by danfinger
              (A) Amount of ammo you realistically use per year.
              (B) Number of years you expect to live. A x B = Amount you 'need'.
              Well, I was told I wouldn't die before the Cubs won a World Series, so as of this morning I didn't have nearly enough. Now? But what a way to go...

              Comment

              • #37
                GR9
                Member
                • Oct 2016
                • 102

                Never too much now in days considering how things are looking

                Comment

                • #38
                  crufflers
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 12723

                  Originally posted by Teachu2
                  Based on what?
                  Hopes and dreams.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    crufflers
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 12723

                    Originally posted by TKM
                    You can get about 6K in a 50 can. 10 ammo cans full makes a reassuring stack or coffee table.
                    I loved those CCI 375 packs. Twelve fit perfectly in a 50 can - 4500 rounds in original boxes. 2400 rounds of Mini-Mag sliders per can works too.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      RawHP
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • 633

                      Originally posted by crufflers
                      2400 rounds of Mini-Mag sliders per can works too.
                      2600 fit vertically if you rotate the last two rows.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Garandimal
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2011
                        • 2145

                        It also depends on how you shoot.

                        We count Every Round. And only Hits Count.

                        I give the kids a hammer and some caps if they just want to make noise.


                        100 rounds takes us a while to shoot.




                        GR


                        (I think, therefore I am armed.)


                        -- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          samrob77
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • 1432

                          I'm going to have to count how many bricks fit in an ammo can. I empty them in sandwich ziplocs and cut the label from the box so I know what is what. Pretty sure it's more than 6k in each can.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            cudakidd
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 3356

                            I"m at about 40,000 that will do for a couple of years...that's just 22 of course!
                            TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
                            The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

                            William Butler Yeats 1865-1939

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              TKM
                              Onward through the fog!
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jul 2002
                              • 10657

                              Originally posted by samrob77
                              I'm going to have to count how many bricks fit in an ammo can. I empty them in sandwich ziplocs and cut the label from the box so I know what is what. Pretty sure it's more than 6k in each can.
                              It's really closer to 6600, I just dump them in and toss the box top in so I can keep track of what it is. I just fill it until it won't close and then take a fistful out. I don't want to drop one and have anything loud happen.
                              It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                crufflers
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jul 2011
                                • 12723

                                Originally posted by RawHP
                                2600 fit vertically if you rotate the last two rows.
                                Thanks, I'll try that. Might help get some odd packs off the top of the safe. I'm at the point were I won't buy more 50 cans. I just need to empty some by shooting more often. I'm still in conserve mode mentally. I'll go burn $100 of larger caliber ammo but for whatever reason .22 is hard to shoot up. I usually take a couple mini-mag sliders if I even have a .22 with me. Maybe because I spent years buying it and it is nice to be "done" with hard to find stuff with limits. I need to go shoot up a Rem bucket. Maybe it's time to build another 10/22.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1