Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger to acquire Marlin

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bergmen
    Senior Member
    • May 2011
    • 2493

    I ordered a Freedom Arms Model 83 Premier back in 2011 (see my avatar). There is nothing like these revolvers as far as precision, quality and accuracy. If you ever get a chance to handle one I am sure you will be impressed. They aren't cheap by any means but absolutely worth the price (to me).

    I consider it of "Rolex" quality. The Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in 454 below it in my avatar is considered "Timex" quality but still robust, great handling and accurate.

    Dan

    Comment

    • Cowboy T
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2010
      • 5725

      Originally posted by Sandspider500
      I don't have quickload but 21gr of 2400 with a wlp and a 250gr bullet is 29.4k cup, and 22gr is at 32.6k cup, 22.5 would probably be at 34k. For a Ruger blackhawk 45 colt the 100% safety margin stops at 32k cup, a 44 mag blackhawk 40k cup is the limit for 100%, a modern manufactured Marlin 94 in 45 colt can go up to 40k cup, with your 454 redhawk it can go to whatever you throw at it.

      Personally I gave up on 2400 as I was only seeing a little over 300fps gain going from revolver to rifle. I get about the same velocity at the same pressure with 800x and I use much less powder. If I'm going for nuclear though, 296 or 300mp are my powders of choice as I see an increase of over 500fps going from revolver to rifle. 300mp is 1-1.5gr slower than 296.
      Thanks for this. The goal with my loads was to approximate .44 Magnum performance in the .45 Colt cartridge. If the Marlin 94 action can take 40K, then it seems these loads are safe. I do have some H110/W296. Haven't yet developed a load yet, but I do intend to, and with the same goal (.44M-type performance from .45LC).

      When the dust settles down, a Marlin in .45LC may well be in my future....
      "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
      F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
      http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
      http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
      http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
      ----------------------------------------------------
      To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

      Comment

      • M60A1Rise
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2017
        • 899

        Originally posted by golfish
        It's going to be interesting to see where Ruger goes with this.

        Maybe see a Marlin/Ruger lever gun in .480
        "Common sense is self defense"

        Comment

        • golfish
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Mar 2013
          • 10124

          Ruger will be moving the manufacturing of the Marlin firearms business to its own facility. "The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up," said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. "The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings."
          Remington had huge problems moving the old Marlin machinery and getting it fired up. I read some of the employees didn't give a 100% during these times, before and after it was moved. I'm not sure if they were using the old machinery when Ruger bought it.

          This buy out is really going to be interesting. I wonder if Ruger will make some new guns or stick with the Marlin lineup..

          Good read, thanks for sharing.
          It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
          Happiness is a warm gun.

          MLC, First 3

          Comment

          • Imageview
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2018
            • 1629

            Most of the issues with the Remington Marlin transition seem to have stemmed from outdated and worn out equipment. That's mostly been replaced, and manufacturing tolerances were dramatically improved. I am hopeful Ruger will learn from Remington's experience and pay extra attention when they launch production.

            Comment

            • elSquid
              In Memoriam
              • Aug 2007
              • 11844

              Originally posted by golfish
              Remington had huge problems moving the old Marlin machinery and getting it fired up. I read some of the employees didn't give a 100% during these times, before and after it was moved. I'm not sure if they were using the old machinery when Ruger bought it.


              Comment

              • M60A1Rise
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2017
                • 899

                Originally posted by golfish
                Remington had huge problems moving the old Marlin machinery and getting it fired up. I read some of the employees didn't give a 100% during these times, before and after it was moved. I'm not sure if they were using the old machinery when Ruger bought it.

                This buy out is really going to be interesting. I wonder if Ruger will make some new guns or stick with the Marlin lineup..

                Good read, thanks for sharing.
                No problem. I have to say I really like Ruger products and own a few. I think they may do well with Marlin products imho.
                "Common sense is self defense"

                Comment

                • golfish
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 10124

                  Originally posted by elSquid
                  That was a cool video.
                  It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
                  Happiness is a warm gun.

                  MLC, First 3

                  Comment

                  • vf111
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 2741

                    Originally posted by floogy
                    More market share, at the very least. I think the current gun and ammo boom is propelling PSA into becoming a big player in the gun business. The problem for them is that outside the AR world, they don't have a recognizable brand name. They're positioning to become the next Ruger or Smith and Wesson and I think they can do it.
                    If this comes to fruition, it'd be interesting to see if PSA scraps their semi-proprietary 308 AR's and switch to fully DPMS compatible AR308's.

                    Comment

                    • vf111
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 2741

                      So does this mean my JM stamped stainless 44M purchased in 2002 will go up in value?

                      Comment

                      • Verdha603
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2019
                        • 882

                        Honestly I'd put more faith into Ruger doing the Marlin brand justice than Remington.

                        If I'm lucky they'll end up removing the cross-bolt safety and side ejection on some of their models so I don't have to continue labeling it "The one lever-gun brand that doesn't work well for left-hander's".

                        Comment

                        • rromeo
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 6981

                          I'd expect to see a left handed Marlin before seeing a top eject. Left eject is just a redraw of parts, instead of making a completely new gun. And, side eject is a Marlin hallmark
                          Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

                          - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
                          (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

                          Comment

                          • golfish
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Mar 2013
                            • 10124

                            Originally posted by Verdha603
                            Honestly I'd put more faith into Ruger doing the Marlin brand justice than Remington.

                            If I'm lucky they'll end up removing the cross-bolt safety and side ejection on some of their models so I don't have to continue labeling it "The one lever-gun brand that doesn't work well for left-hander's".
                            And move more production to the Prescott Valley facility along with adding more square footage. They could use the extra jobs.
                            It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
                            Happiness is a warm gun.

                            MLC, First 3

                            Comment

                            • Verdha603
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2019
                              • 882

                              Originally posted by rromeo
                              I'd expect to see a left handed Marlin before seeing a top eject. Left eject is just a redraw of parts, instead of making a completely new gun. And, side eject is a Marlin hallmark
                              Honestly that sounds like a better idea, even if they only do it for some of their more basic models. I'm aware a great deal of Marlin's appeal is that the side ejection makes it easy to mount an optic to the top of the rifle, but comes at the cost of taking away one of the advantages of it being considered an ambidextrous rifle due to top ejection on Winchester lever guns.

                              Comment

                              • sigstroker
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 19864

                                Originally posted by golfish
                                And move more production to the Prescott Valley facility along with adding more square footage. They could use the extra jobs.
                                Investment casting? Ewww.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1