Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bergara LRP?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    sigstroker
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2009
    • 19897

    Or get your family to buy more land.

    How many acres would you guess it takes to make a 300 yard range?

    Comment

    • #47
      Bicky
      Banned
      • Feb 2015
      • 203

      Originally posted by sigstroker
      Or get your family to buy more land.

      How many acres would you guess it takes to make a 300 yard range?
      Depends how wide it is?

      Comment

      • #48
        cusco19
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2013
        • 1067

        DIY: 1911 idiot scratch fix

        Comment

        • #49
          sigstroker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 19897

          I've played with a Tikka before. When it's already cocked it's super smooth, but that's now how you shoot. Cocking it was probably not quite as smooth as a Vanguard, although the teflon coating on the Tikka makes it slide real nice once it's open. I'd like to play with the Bergara LRP, which is a different action than the B14.

          I've read up more on what the PRS guys shoot. It's insane, they spend used car money on some of their rigs. It's hard to understand, PRS targets are 2 moa. And as someone posted in another thread, cutting group sizes in half only increases your hit probability by a little bit. Yet it costs serious bucks to cut group sizes in half.

          Comment

          • #50
            longrange1
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2015
            • 1032

            sigstroker you kind of answered your own questions about why guys spend that kinda money on their equipment...because it works...rain,shine,sleet,snow,cold,hot,wet,dry,mud ,dust,dirt,wind it keeps running the down fall are triggers...when they get a lotta crap in them they dont want to work...douche them with lighter fluid and most times your up and running.

            now im not knocking any other brand or trying to convince you to buy something you dont want(and i sincerely mean that)but i can tell you that a factory outta the box rifle is not going to run with a custom i dont care what anyone says or tells you its just a fact.

            i shot savage for 7yrs...the PTA i had with a 26" bartlein was one of the most accurate rifles i owned...chambered in 260rem it would drill .293-.295 10 shot groups day in and day out but it was a single shot so once i started to move into tactical and PRS type shooting it had to go.

            i was familiar with savage and had 300wm that i could hit 6" AR500 targets at 1000yds 6 outta 10 times so i shot that at a few matches...it was a little to much gun and ppl didnt like me much so i rechambered to a 260 and basically had nothing but feed and ejection issues...part because it was a long action but more because its just the nature of the savage action...is a savage accurate? yes very much so...will it run in a PRS/tactical type match? maybe...maybe not...my experience...no...and several guys i know would tell you the same thing.

            i moved into a surgeon 591 in a mcmillan A5...started as a 260 after 1 barrel i moved to a 6mm creed which i shot for the last couple of years...this rifle has been run in stuff that most ppl would not even think about going out shooting in...i had one failure...my jewell trigger went down and never recovered.

            ive now moved into the the rifle i posted in your thread here but ONLY because its going to improve my scores because it will run a bit faster due to the design of the action.

            i know im rambling on but im making a point...i also break/sight in rifles for some hunters i know that dont have time(really are just well off)so ive handled a lot of high end rifles and while some are IMHO not so great and others are silky smooth....would they run with a custom? NO!

            now my point is are the outta the box rifles nice? accurate? yes they are! can they be used as comp guns? sure!
            but in the end they WILL NOT run with a custom other wise every pro shooter would be shooting them at matches instead of the expensive rifles they shoot now.

            one of the(if not the)biggest things shooting comps is confidence in your equipment...a couple of failure to feeds or extracts or FTFs will mind F--k
            you right out of winning a match...when sh-t start going south its hard to recover for most ppl.

            so IMHO if your going to spend $1800-$2000 on a factory rifle why not just spend another $500-$800 and build a rifle that all you will have to do is have a barrel spun on when its time?

            if its just to be different by all means go for it but if you plan to shoot tactical type comps at least go to a match or two and see what others are running and talk to the guys.

            oh and one more thing...cutting groups size is easier achieved with trigger time and practice off obstacles more so than spending money...a 1 minute gun can win matches with a good shooter if it runs well.
            Last edited by longrange1; 01-04-2018, 7:47 AM.

            Comment

            • #51
              sigstroker
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2009
              • 19897

              Well, I can guaran-damm-tee you I will never spend 7 grand for a bolt rifle. And it will be a long, long time before I wear out a barrel. My lifetime of rifle shooting, including the number of rounds put through an M16, don't total enough rounds to wear out a barrel.

              But if I DID spend 7 grand for one, I would also poo-poo the idea that a $1500 rifle could do a similar job. BTW the Bergara LRP's use the same action they use to build their customs.

              Customs come with Timneys? So do both LRP's.

              Customs come in weird calibers? That's the last thing I want. I want a known quantity, like a 6.5 CM that has tons of published data on what works well so I can copy it. I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

              Your experience with trying to run a short round in a long Savage action doesn't sway me at all. I wouldn't even try such a venture.

              If a bolt gun can't run a 15 round stage without malfunction, I'll go back to my tried and true autoloaders that burn through 10 30 round magazines in 2 minutes without a hiccup.

              Comment

              • #52
                MyOdessa
                Ban Islam
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Mar 2011
                • 2575

                This thread is pointless
                OP wants to buy Bergara LRP and he simply discards any other suggestion made here.

                Comment

                • #53
                  longrange1
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2015
                  • 1032

                  Originally posted by sigstroker
                  Well, I can guaran-damm-tee you I will never spend 7 grand for a bolt rifle. And it will be a long, long time before I wear out a barrel. My lifetime of rifle shooting, including the number of rounds put through an M16, don't total enough rounds to wear out a barrel.

                  But if I DID spend 7 grand for one, I would also poo-poo the idea that a $1500 rifle could do a similar job. BTW the Bergara LRP's use the same action they use to build their customs.

                  Customs come with Timneys? So do both LRP's.

                  Customs come in weird calibers? That's the last thing I want. I want a known quantity, like a 6.5 CM that has tons of published data on what works well so I can copy it. I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

                  Your experience with trying to run a short round in a long Savage action doesn't sway me at all. I wouldn't even try such a venture.

                  If a bolt gun can't run a 15 round stage without malfunction, I'll go back to my tried and true autoloaders that burn through 10 30 round magazines in 2 minutes without a hiccup.
                  LOL you are to much sig and have a lot to learn...good luck.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Kwikvette
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2015
                    • 3704

                    Originally posted by longrange1
                    LOL you are to much sig and have a lot to learn...good luck.
                    I guess I should just throw away my Remington 700

                    Today's 5 shot groups; bottom one with a sighter was first shot before adjustment. My rings were a little loose from last week so I leveled things out and tightened her up for today.



                    Originally posted by longrange1
                    my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
                    Originally posted by XDJYo
                    Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      longrange1
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2015
                      • 1032

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        TMB 1
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 7153

                        Originally posted by MyOdessa
                        This thread is pointless
                        OP wants to buy Bergara LRP and he simply discards any other suggestion made here.
                        Well the OP did only ask about the Bergara.


                        The Spaniards do make really good barrels.

                        Originally posted by sigstroker
                        Are any of you gunsmiths and/or long range experts familiar with the Bergara LRP? The difference in the real world street prices between the LRP and LRP elite is about $500. Besides the obvious difference of the Elite having the Magpul stock, is it worth the 500 bucks over the non-Elite?



                        http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_pr...lite_rifle.php
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          xXRifleManXx
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 1194

                          Just saying. You guys realize the bergera is basically a product improved 700 action right? Same foot print, same triggers and mounting on receiver. A coned bolt head and sako ejector are a definite improvement- over a stock gun. Bergera makes good barrels too. Not to mention the barrel with a savage style barrel nut so you can change your own if you want. What ever the op does or doesn't want to listen to as far as others experience and knowledge with custom guns that run matches that's on him. if it's a case of his mind being made up about what he wants fine.

                          What he wants or thinks doesn't take away from fact the rifle has merit.
                          Freedom group products are not going to get better, and any 700 Smith can put the same parts on the bergera action.
                          WTB m&p 9 5?

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            sigstroker
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 19897

                            Originally posted by TMB 1
                            Well the OP did only ask about the Bergara.


                            The Spaniards do make really good barrels.
                            Read it again. I asked about the differences between two specific Bergaras. I haven't chosen anything yet. I'm still gathering information and this thread is part of that.

                            But there are a handful of dogmatic posters in here that don't care that I asked question A, they want to answer questions B, C, and D. Over and over again.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              sigstroker
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 19897

                              Originally posted by xXRifleManXx
                              Just saying. You guys realize the bergera is basically a product improved 700 action right? Same foot print, same triggers and mounting on receiver. A coned bolt head and sako ejector are a definite improvement- over a stock gun. Bergera makes good barrels too. Not to mention the barrel with a savage style barrel nut so you can change your own if you want. What ever the op does or doesn't want to listen to as far as others experience and knowledge with custom guns that run matches that's on him. if it's a case of his mind being made up about what he wants fine.

                              What he wants or thinks doesn't take away from fact the rifle has merit.
                              Freedom group products are not going to get better, and any 700 Smith can put the same parts on the bergera action.
                              You are underinformed. First of all, I'm asking about the LRP, which uses a different action than the B14. Regardless, Bergara did away with the barrel nut on the B14. Their custom action has a non-rotating gas shield and a wobble bolt head - like a Savage.

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                xXRifleManXx
                                Senior Member
                                • Jun 2011
                                • 1194

                                Originally posted by sigstroker
                                You are underinformed. First of all, I'm asking about the LRP, which uses a different action than the B14. Regardless, Bergara did away with the barrel nut on the B14. Their custom action has a non-rotating gas shield and a wobble bolt head - like a Savage.
                                Oh well I stand corrected on the lrp and barrel nut. B14 is still impressive for a practical rifle entry imo. I don't have anytime behind the lrp, but the pictures look nice
                                WTB m&p 9 5?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1