Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bergara LRP?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    QuarterBoreGunner
    Administrator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 9389

    The LRP Elite is.... okay.

    /Chris

    I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

    You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
    Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
    Like who?
    Farmers.
    Who else?
    Farmers' mums.

    Comment

    • #32
      FishnHunt
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2015
      • 1112

      Here is another poster and how much it cost him to build 700. And I won’t bring up the target pics

      So last year when I was flush with cash I put together a Rem 700 in .223
      Barrel..Lothar Walther..$488
      Stock.. Mcmillen $896 3-5A adjustable
      Scope..Nightforce $1,780 5 X 22 X 56
      Bi-pod..$77
      Extended Bolt knob..$31
      sling swivels.. $28
      Receiver.. $500
      Sling.. $13
      Bottom metal..$200
      Magazine (2) $180
      Trigger..$200
      Scope base..$116
      Scope rings..$252
      Total.......$4,761
      All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

      Comment

      • #33
        xXRifleManXx
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 1194

        Op my brother bought a hmr in 6.5. Slung up on a mat I had fun on 10" steel up in Stonyford at 900 yards Saturday and Sunday. I have 300 rounds through that gun in two days and I like it. Sako style extractor, AI mags, a nice stock that isn't too heavy and a barrel that shoots. I don't shoot from a bench and I don't have some fantasy about the coolest rifle on a bipod that will kill anything at 1000 yards with a .308- heck I don't even own a bipod. I shoot for a practical rifle I can make hits with at that distance. 700's have failings and the fact it's a Remington/freedom group product is probably the biggest one. I have a 30-06 700 I've had fail to feed while hunting bear and it's just the icing on the cake for that gun. My wing master is great but I'll never buy another product from them. A built 700 action in my opinion isn't anything like a Remington factory gun -unless the Smith is a hack- and they are everywhere cause people like them. It just doesn't float my boat one bit. I would buy the begera, but I'm not going to in 6.5 I will get it in .308 for hunting. I've decided to move forward on building a 6.5 on a closed action tikka or sako for long range with a relatively low weight. It is just my data point and isn't worth much. I don't know what you looking to do exactly but I would stay away from that stock on that beregra your looking because the pistol grip on the stock on the hmr is really good as far what I'm looking for ergo wise and I'm not up on a rest / bipod- If it's just because it nice and badass then lay down the $100 bills, make it happen and enjoy. Nice gun would bang

        Good luck
        Last edited by xXRifleManXx; 01-02-2018, 7:11 PM.
        WTB m&p 9 5?

        Comment

        • #34
          LynnJr
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2013
          • 7958

          Originally posted by sigstroker
          When that advice consists of continually telling me how great benchrest rifles are, I don't care. Yeah, a dumptruck will haul a lot more stuff than my 4 door sedan, but I still don't want a dumptruck to drive to work. Because I don't need one.

          And when you claim a $450 Remington with an $1100 barrel, with no action work, no trigger work, no extractor work, and no stock work, still out shoots a $2300 Bergara it makes you look disingenuous.
          SigStroker
          It's your money to spend as you please so don't follow my advice at all.
          I am merely posting so those considering the Bergara can get factual information and avoid a costly mistake.
          And your evaluation of the 700 is all wrong but that is okay as you will learn soon enough.
          I have a 700 Remington with said barrel and after you get your Bergara you can come over and show me how much better your Bergara shoots.
          I will bring you a crow recipe.
          Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
          Southwest Regional Director
          Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
          www.unlimitedrange.org
          Not a commercial business.
          URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

          Comment

          • #35
            LynnJr
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2013
            • 7958

            Originally posted by FishnHunt
            Here is another poster and how much it cost him to build 700. And I won’t bring up the target pics

            So last year when I was flush with cash I put together a Rem 700 in .223
            Barrel..Lothar Walther..$488
            Stock.. Mcmillen $896 3-5A adjustable
            Scope..Nightforce $1,780 5 X 22 X 56
            Bi-pod..$77
            Extended Bolt knob..$31
            sling swivels.. $28
            Receiver.. $500
            Sling.. $13
            Bottom metal..$200
            Magazine (2) $180
            Trigger..$200
            Scope base..$116
            Scope rings..$252
            Total.......$4,761
            I saw that post and my $1100 Remington 700 will outshoot it.
            I wouldn't buy a $116 scope base or $252 rings I wouldn't use a Lothar barrel the trigger would run $165 and the gun wouldn't have any magazines or bottom metal at all. I also wouldn't give $500 for a Remington Action.
            Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
            Southwest Regional Director
            Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
            www.unlimitedrange.org
            Not a commercial business.
            URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

            Comment

            • #36
              sacrvrrat
              Member
              • Nov 2010
              • 425

              Comment

              • #37
                LynnJr
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2013
                • 7958

                FishnHunt
                Bergara only makes hunting and Tactical rifles. They sell for $2300-$2850 and Remington and Tika don't make any rifles at that price point. The OP wants a rifle any gunsmith can work on yet most gunsmiths have never seen let alone worked on a Bergara rifle.
                He is also confused about shooting a rifle from a bench and a Benchrest rifle.
                Remington doesn't make or sell a Benchrest rifle and you can't have a gunsmith turn a Remington into a Benchrest rifle just a rifle that when shot from the bench is extremely accurate.
                A Benchrest Rifle is made from a Kelbly Borden BAT Farley Stiller action and no Benchrest rifle in the United States uses a Bergara barrel.
                There barrels run from $90-$280 and the contours are all wrong for Benchrest shooting and most serious varmint rifles.

                Most hunters don't want a 10+ pound hunting rifle before adding the scope the base and the rings.
                Last edited by LynnJr; 01-04-2018, 4:19 PM.
                Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                Southwest Regional Director
                Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                www.unlimitedrange.org
                Not a commercial business.
                URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                Comment

                • #38
                  TMB 1
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 7153


                  vs

                  vs

                  vs
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Bicky
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2015
                    • 203

                    Tikka TAC-A1 or TSR-1: factory rifles, in chassis, cheaper than the Bergaras in the OP, and more of a known

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      longrange1
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2015
                      • 1032

                      Bergara LRP?



                      once you minus off everything youd have to buy for the Bergara its just under $2500....and yes WAY WAY to much for what he ended up with IMHO.



                      this is a $2825(including smith)rifle minus the scope,rings and bipod...which youd have to buy for the Bergara...

                      curtis customs action

                      timney calvin elite trigger

                      23" hawkhill barrel 8 twist chambered in 6.5x47

                      area 419 brake

                      MPA comp chassis

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        negolien
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 4829

                        Hope the OP finds something in his wheelhouse. One word of advise is take your time and don't settle. I waited about 3 months before finally finding a Savage Ashbury for about $600 off the normal price :<). I can GURANTEE it shoots better than the Remington or Tika cheapos and I didn't have to A. build a franken super rifle or B. Break my wallet to do it. Some of us just want a decent shooting gun for a decent price out of the box. I really liked the bergara though I wouldn't go LRP because I' am cheap and there's Rugers and Savages that are close to being similar enough to outshoot me.
                        "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

                        George Orwell

                        http://www.AnySoldier.com

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          sigstroker
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 19872

                          Originally posted by QuarterBoreGunner
                          The LRP Elite is.... okay.

                          Cool, you has one? My original question was "what's better/different on the Elite vs the regular LRP other than the buttstock?"

                          Originally posted by negolien
                          Hope the OP finds something in his wheelhouse. One word of advise is take your time and don't settle. I waited about 3 months before finally finding a Savage Ashbury for about $600 off the normal price :<). I can GURANTEE it shoots better than the Remington or Tika cheapos and I didn't have to A. build a franken super rifle or B. Break my wallet to do it. Some of us just want a decent shooting gun for a decent price out of the box. I really liked the bergara though I wouldn't go LRP because I' am cheap and there's Rugers and Savages that are close to being similar enough to outshoot me.
                          Thanks. I haven't settled on a Bergara, I haven't fondled one yet. TBH the Savage in a chassis seems like it would work for my purposes* but I want to explore all options. I'm not real keen on the APO though, because of the buttstock and no easy answer on a replacement.

                          *Purpose for gun is long range plinking at rocks, dirt clods, etc. MAYBE the occasional prairie dog-like critter. PRS-like stuff sometime in the future.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            QuarterBoreGunner
                            Administrator
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 9389

                            The LRP Elite gets a the Mega Orias chassis and the Magpul stock of course. Also it has a Timney trigger, but I believe the barrel and action are the same as the Premier.

                            I was zeroing mine over the holiday on my family's 300 yard range. Unfortunately my bore sighting was *way* off so while it was making tight little three round groups, it was no where near POA. But very consistent shooter. I put the Dead Air key mount brake on it so if I ever get a can it'll be an easy addition.
                            /Chris

                            I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

                            You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
                            Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
                            Like who?
                            Farmers.
                            Who else?
                            Farmers' mums.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              sigstroker
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 19872

                              Thanks. You're going to have a hard time stretching out there in Oaktown.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                QuarterBoreGunner
                                Administrator
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 9389

                                Originally posted by sigstroker
                                Thanks. You're going to have a hard time stretching out there in Oaktown.
                                That's why we have the 300 yard range at the family place out in the valley. But honestly when i get everything dialed in, even that will be inadequate so I'll have to start making the trek to Sacramento.
                                /Chris

                                I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

                                You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
                                Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
                                Like who?
                                Farmers.
                                Who else?
                                Farmers' mums.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1