Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sub $1k bolt 300 win mag .5-.75 consistent moa?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57175

    Originally posted by uparmor
    What factory gun shooting factory loads would you choose. I do not want to rebarrel a rifle.
    I have no advice for you as I do not know of any factory rifle that will meet all your requirements without being rebarrelled.

    Factory rifles just do not have top quality barrels.
    Your requirements require the best barrel you can get and that will only come through rebarelling with a premium quality barrel blank.

    When you find that trained attach unicorn with lasers, let me know as I want one too.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #32
      MongooseV8
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 4426

      Originally posted by ar15barrels
      Factory barrels are no comparison to premium quality cut rifled barrels.
      Those are the guns he is speaking about in posts #22 and #23.
      Nobody is going to disagree with that, but he already mentioned he doesnt want to rebarrel and wants a factory rifle.

      Comment

      • #33
        MongooseV8
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 4426

        Originally posted by ar15barrels
        I have no advice for you as I do not know of any factory rifle that will meet all your requirements without being rebarrelled.

        Factory rifles just do not have top quality barrels.
        Your requirements require the best barrel you can get and that will only come through rebarelling with a premium quality barrel blank.

        When you find that trained attach unicorn with lasers, let me know as I want one too.
        Ive seen more than one box stock Tikka meet his requirements.

        Comment

        • #34
          rm1911
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 4073

          Originally posted by uparmor
          Guess i should expand on what i said.

          Ive seen accurate rifle that will only shoot 3 shot groups once per week


          Which day of the week?
          NRA Life Member since 1990

          They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

          Comment

          • #35
            TMB 1
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2012
            • 7153

            Originally posted by uparmor
            What factory gun shooting factory loads would you choose. I do not want to rebarrel a rifle.
            $845 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ic+Brown+Stk+B
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #36
              MongooseV8
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 4426

              Those 700 AWR are pretty interesting. I was going to buy one but they are kinda heavy for a hunting rifle.

              Comment

              • #37
                TMB 1
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2012
                • 7153

                Originally posted by MongooseV8
                Those 700 AWR are pretty interesting. I was going to buy one but they are kinda heavy for a hunting rifle.


                Says the 30-06 is 7.35 pounds and the weight range for that model is 7lb to 7.99lb. Don't think I'd want to shoot 300 win mag much in a rifle that weighs less than 8lbs.

                My Ruger 338 win mag weighs 9lbs with Leupold scope. It's not bad to carry and I wouldn't want it any lighter
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #38
                  HUTCH 7.62
                  In Memoriam
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 11298

                  Originally posted by M1NM
                  No hunting weight barrel will shoot groups all day long. Barrel heat after 3-5 rounds causes the groups to open up. You'll need at least 1" dia to reduce the problem - oh and a hand truck to haul it around.
                  sounds like someone needs to hit the gym😋
                  Some say that he once mooned two prostitutes just for a round of drinks, but wasn't surprised by the reply......They call him, the Hutch
                  Some say that he rode a dirtbike 7k miles across the country and that he once applied Bengay to his own testicles for a mere $50............They call him, the Hutch -Top Gear

                  http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    MissiontoMars
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 1544

                    Originally posted by MongooseV8
                    Well in that case a Tikka T3 would be great. Weatherby and Sako are also vood choices.
                    That's what I was thinking.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      MissiontoMars
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • 1544

                      Originally posted by ar15barrels
                      I have no advice for you as I do not know of any factory rifle that will meet all your requirements without being rebarrelled.

                      Factory rifles just do not have top quality barrels.
                      Your requirements require the best barrel you can get and that will only come through rebarelling with a premium quality barrel blank.

                      When you find that trained attach unicorn with lasers, let me know as I want one too.
                      Says the guy selling barrels...haha...I mean, I respect your knowledge...but this has to be a bit funny to you right?

                      That there is no sliding scale with factory barrels? c'mon dude..
                      Last edited by MissiontoMars; 09-18-2017, 8:01 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57175

                        Originally posted by MongooseV8
                        Nobody is going to disagree with that, but he already mentioned he doesnt want to rebarrel and wants a factory rifle.
                        And I want a trained attack unicorn with lasers to guard my house.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57175

                          Originally posted by MissiontoMars
                          Says the guy selling barrels...haha...
                          I don't sell barrels.
                          I only work on them.

                          I see and work on so many of them, that I know what the good ones and the bad ones are.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            JMP
                            Internet Warrior
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 17056

                            Honestly, it sounds like you want a rifle from Finland. They are accurate and tend to be lighter than other rifles as they are designed to be able to shoot from skis. I'd say a TRG-42 would be a good pick for you and seems to best meet your criteria, except for the price. They are extremely accurate and precise. Even though the rifle is almost 12 lbs, it's ergonomics make it feel lighter for off hand shooting. Straight out of the box and into your hands, you should be able to consistently shoot sub-0.5MOA groups once you've got a good load.

                            This would be your best bet, in my opinion:

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              JMP
                              Internet Warrior
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 17056

                              Originally posted by MissiontoMars
                              Says the guy selling barrels...haha...I mean, I respect your knowledge...but this has to be a bit funny to you right?

                              That there is no sliding scale with factory barrels? c'mon dude..
                              Yes, there is. There are three companies that I trust for a factory rifle with a great barrel, Accuracy International, Sako, and Anschutz. However, these are hand fit rather than mass assembled. They are also on the pricier side of the spectrum. Conversely, a lot of high-priced factory rifles that have some pretty sad barrels.

                              Those are what I recommend because they are good factory rifles, then people get upset with me for posting things that are too expensive, and they think I am some kind of elitist for recommending what I feel are some of the best rifles you can get.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                NorCalFocus
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 2013
                                • 3913

                                The main issue I have with factory rifles vs going custom is cost vs return in performance. You can buy a factory rifle and role the dice hoping you get a 1/2 MOA rifle all in you'll spend about $800-$1000. That's a lot of money to gamble if you ask me.

                                Now on the flip side, you can buy a complete 700 long action for about $400, a Grayboe stock for $350, and a Remage barrel for $400. That's $150-$350 more than your factory rifle. If you want you can get a barrel blank and have it mounted/chambered for another $500. Your gaining so much for not that much more of a investment.



                                As for guys that think those of us who push custom rifles over factory are elitist, we're not. We're just people that would rather spend the money one time (or learn from their past like I did) and have the best tool for the job. Now if your one of these guys that *****es about how you can't afford a custom or spending another $400 or so because it's not in your budget or you can't afford it, remember that shooting isn't cheap and it's a luxury. Most of the guys I know with the most expensive rifles also drive 15yo cars, have flip phones, and buy all their clothes from Wal-Mart. They save elsewhere to be able to spend money on what they really want.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1