Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger American 7.62x39

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    badge4436
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2007
    • 14

    I do like my 5.56 MVP. Takes AR mags.

    Comment

    • #62
      6mmintl
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • 4822

      Just bought the mini1500 in 6.5 grendel, decided its a better cal. Then 7.62x39 in .310 bore ill use for silhouette shooting, I have ar in .310 bore and another I had converted from a 300BO 18.5" wison barrel to 7.62x39.

      I have a mauser i converted to 7.62x39 with a Kreiger .308 barrel that with 135/155 SMK's is an honest .4 moa gun.

      Comment

      • #63
        OneFunGuy
        Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 480

        The SAAMI spec for 7.62X39 is .311 to MINUS .002, meaning to .309.
        Your Rugers and such are outside the SAAMI spec, at least the older ones.
        The Commie ammo can be all over the place. But it all basically works,
        except for that pesky accuracy issue, you will need to drill down to better that.

        Also Remington brass uses Small Rifle Primers, watch out for that!

        Tommy
        I am not an attorney, but sure, go ahead.

        Earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs, but not every mans greed.

        Comment

        • #64
          G-Man WC
          In Memoriam
          • Oct 2005
          • 10991

          I know when the RA was released a few years ago in 223 and 300Blk, the later
          had about a one year wait.
          Last year Ruger melded two of its working-man rifle brands—the Ranch moniker and its American Rifle line—to offer the American Rifle Ranch. Let’s talk about what’s in this name.

          -g
          If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
          -Samuel Adams

          Comment

          • #65
            scotty99
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 1184

            Comment

            • #66
              splithoof
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2015
              • 6031

              I have a pair of the CZ's; one setup in Scout configuration by Jim Brockman in Idaho, the other plain factory. Like described before, accurate with a variety of factory ball, and with my reloads even more so. No plastic anywhere, set trigger excellent, smooth, fitting of parts is what you used to get with domestic rifles from long ago. If you can afford one, do it. And start ordering lots of Russian steel-cased ball as well. For those limited to non-magnetic bullets, Wolf has a loading, 125FMJ copper jacketed. SGA was selling it by the case last week.

              Comment

              • #67
                splithoof
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2015
                • 6031

                John over at VC Defense in Thousand Oaks has a nice CZ 527 with superbly figured wood on the rack.

                Comment

                • #68
                  gunman5646
                  Junior Member
                  • Oct 2017
                  • 10

                  Great little utility rifle

                  I must admit that I'm very pleased with this little rifle. It shoots way above what its price range(paid $470 otd) might suggest. The caliber is far more useful than I anticipated.The ability to use milsurp ammo that is economical, is a big plus for more practice at the range.The use of the mini 30 magazine system was a stroke of genius, which should be copied on the 5.56 model (either mini14 or AR would do) The CZ527 is a beautiful little rifle, but at twice, the price I would hope so.
                  The shortness and fast handling, make it almost as quick as a revolver to get into action. It weighs practically nothing, but still handles the Russian round comfortably. Another thing I just found, you can use a flash suppressor on a bolt gun in Calif, not an AK or SKS.
                  In summary: I'm glad I bought it and say yes to anyone asking if its worth a try. It has eclipsed my mini 30 as my utility rifle(truck and feral hog gun). As far as accuracy goes, its all in the ammo, as my reloads are under 3/4 of a minute at 100.[IMG]jpeg[/IMG]

                  The bore runs .310 , so the v max 123 Hornady is pretty good medicine with a charge of H335 or Imr 4198 under it, the 123 SP also works well. I haven't bothered with .308's, as all my rifles have .310 bores. Even the Xtreme 123 g. Fp produced 1 1/2 " groups at 100.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by gunman5646; 10-27-2017, 6:50 AM. Reason: New data
                  go ahead! skin that smokewagon and see what happens!

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    agent88
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • 1772

                    Originally posted by gunman5646
                    I must admit that I'm very pleased with this little rifle. It shoots way above what its price range(paid $470 otd) might suggest. The caliber is far more useful than I anticipated.The ability to use milsurp ammo that is economical, is a big plus for more practice at the range.The use of the mini 30 magazine system was a stroke of genius, which should be copied on the 5.56 model (either mini14 or AR would do) The CZ527 is a beautiful little rifle, but at twice, the price I would hope so.
                    The shortness and fast handling, make it almost as quick as a revolver to get into action. It weighs practically nothing, but still handles the Russian round comfortably. Another thing I just found, you can use a flash suppressor on a bolt gun in Calif, not an AK or SKS.
                    In summary: I'm glad I bought it and say yes to anyone asking if its worth a try. It has eclipsed my mini 30 as my utility rifle(truck and feral hog gun). As far as accuracy goes, its all in the ammo, as my reloads are under 3/4 of a minute at 100.[IMG]jpeg[/IMG]

                    The bore runs .310 , so the v max 123 Hornady is pretty good medicine with a charge of H335 or Imr 4198 under it, the 123 SP also works well. I haven't bothered with .308's, as all my rifles have .310 bores. Even the Xtreme 123 g. Fp produced 1 1/2 " groups at 100.
                    Hey gunman

                    Just wondering what kind of shooting rate do you put this through on a typical range visit or if you are testing for accuracy?

                    Do you shoot 4 or 5 mags though it back to back, does it get hot to fast , do you prefer to let it cool down between mags, that kind of thing

                    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      gunman5646
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2017
                      • 10

                      Generally I fire for accuracy in ten shot groups, spaced out about 1 per minute. Same routine for the chronograph, except about one round every 30 seconds.
                      In testing for general shootability, I load the 10 round magazine, and fire standing at a 12" gong at 100 yards. The rifle got pretty warm after 10 rounds in 2 minutes, but stayed on the gong. I don't usually do an English mad minute, and slow fire is usually the order of the day.
                      Last edited by gunman5646; 10-30-2017, 9:09 PM.
                      go ahead! skin that smokewagon and see what happens!

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        Hoooch
                        Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 313

                        Just started 10 day. Putting a vortex 1-6 on it for plinking and pigs. Will give an update after the 12th

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          shadowofnight
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 3749

                          LOVE my 7.62x39 Ruger American, didn't like having to buy/use Mini30 magazines....have umpteen AR 7.62x39 magazines...so I made a call to Ruger.

                          For only 19.95 and 6.00 shipping, they will sell you the Magwell assy in AR style...so now I can use my many many 7.62x39 AR magazines in my Ruger American...works perfectly.







                          Comment

                          • #73
                            Divernhunter
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2010
                            • 8753

                            I have an Ruger American Ranch model in 7.2X39 and it is a accurate fun gun.
                            I like the Mini30 mags for it since I have a bunch of them and a mini 30 rifle.
                            I guess I could use it for hunting but I have many better suited rifles for that. Maybe for my grand kids if I do not get 257R rifles for them.
                            It is fun to shoot at the range and I like that I do not have to chase brass for my hand loads.
                            A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                            NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                            SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1