Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First bolt action what scope should I buy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    1859sharps
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2008
    • 2261

    Originally posted by musketjon
    Not to rain on the parade but you should put a good set of iron sights on it first. Get proficient with the irons first, and then go to the glass.
    Jon
    unfortunately there is no such thing as "good set of iron sights" for commercial bolt actions.

    when I think of good irons, I think of what you find on an AR15 A2 type or M1/M1A. you can't find this for a bolt gun at this time.

    I believe (but could be wrong) the last bolt gun to have really good irons was the Springfield A3.

    Comment

    • #47
      Sheepdog1968
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 1903

      Leupold makes good solid scopes.
      RIP Louis Awerbuck. I miss you and your training.

      Comment

      • #48
        Kingair001
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2015
        • 2357

        Originally posted by Sheepdog1968
        Leupold makes good solid scopes.
        I know they used to make good scopes

        What they make today . . . ?

        They really forgot to 'move' with the current market

        If you see what Vortex and Bushnell offers at the moment

        Guess that these both brands run the biggest market share at the moment or pretty close
        WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum

        Comment

        • #49
          roostersgt
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2012
          • 1921

          I'd take a Lepuold, in the same "grade" of scope, over either of those brands. Leopold has stood behind even their oldest scopes, with no questions asked, for more than 35+ years, and are American made. More guides use Leopold than any other scope, IMHO (experienced). Not saying there is anything wrong with Vortex, just kind of new. Bushnell? Have had more than my share of heartache with their warrantees. Now, if the OP did in fact go with Nightforce, US Optics, or Schmidt and Bender, I would certainly change my mind, as those are optics that usually cost far more than the firearms they are placed upon and are battle prove, in addition to being outstanding optics, you get what you pay for, ask anyone.
          Last edited by roostersgt; 08-19-2016, 1:37 AM.

          Comment

          • #50
            Kingair001
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2015
            • 2357

            I don't the say that Leupold is bad at all.

            Only they really missed the boat . . .

            Try to find a shooter in PRS with a Leupold

            OK I know PRS . . . but why didn't they follow ?

            Probably a bad Marketing Director and now they are really years behind in 'renewing ' their brand . . .

            Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Kingair001; 08-20-2016, 7:06 PM.
            WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum

            Comment

            • #51
              Kingair001
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2015
              • 2357

              Originally posted by Bungi
              I would check out the Athlon scopes.

              The "Cronus" model would be in your range and is supposed to be awesome.

              I do not own one and I have never even seen one. Just going off what I have read. However, I would check them out if I were you.

              Worth a look.
              I own an Argos BTR 6-24x50 APMR FFP IR in MIL

              Pretty clear scope and FFP

              In a few months it will be joined by a Cronus 4.5-29x56 - that's the top of the line model of Athlon Optics

              Below is the illuminated reticle of the Argos BTR MIL version shot with my cell (the retical of the Cronus is almost the same but I even like the Cronus version better)

              In real life it's way sharper but this is the best I could do with my cell . . .

              I dare to say that it's better than a Vortex PST series and . . . for less money

              And the people of Athlon Optics are all for years in the optics business . . . they are 'old' Bushnell employees who started their own scope brand

              Give it a shot and if you really don't like it . . just return it !

              Anyway just Google it when you got 5 and you'll see what the owners think about it . . . you'll be surprised

              Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

              Last edited by Kingair001; 08-20-2016, 8:13 PM.
              WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1