Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Savage 110 BA Problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by UberPatriot
    I guess I got lucky with my Savage 10 fp sr it's the most accurate rifle I own, sub moa even with a budget scope.

    Bent barrels can still be quite accurate as long as your scope will adjust to zero with the bullet impacts.

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by In My Cold Dead Hands
    well, you would think if they're going to charge $2000 and up for a rifle that the damn thing should get tested with live rounds before it leaves the factory. Disappointed to say the least....

    Any test firing they do is to check that it fires, not to check that it's straight.
    That type of test firing is done into a bullet trap.
    They don't shoot at a target.

    Leave a comment:


  • LynnJr
    replied
    Put Signature Zee rings on it and chalk it up as a learning tool.
    That way if it ever stops raining you can shoot.

    Leave a comment:


  • UberPatriot
    replied
    Originally posted by In My Cold Dead Hands
    yup, the gunsmith there thinks its the barrel
    That's a bummer.

    Leave a comment:


  • In My Cold Dead Hands
    replied
    yup, the gunsmith there thinks its the barrel

    Leave a comment:


  • UberPatriot
    replied
    Have you asked the range officer where you shoot to look at it?

    Leave a comment:


  • billt
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    I bet it was more of a problem with the barrel being bent (and therefore not pointing the same direction as the receiver) than the actual holes being crooked on the receiver.
    I have seen some really crooked savage barrels.
    It was the holes. I could plainly see it when I put a 18" straight edge against the scope base. The holes were a mile off. I don't see how it made it out of the factory that way.

    Leave a comment:


  • In My Cold Dead Hands
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    If the barrel is bent, and the laser is actually emitting straight from the chamber, the laser will not be coming out of the barrel in the center of the bore.

    This is why your eye is more dependable.
    Your eye will look down the center of the bore regardless of bore curvature.
    yeah that makes sense as the width of the laser is not .308 but rather a millimeter or so. Looking down the barrel from the bolt end with my own eyes, I could see nothing that would tell me the barrell was bent...

    Leave a comment:


  • UberPatriot
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    I bet it was more of a problem with the barrel being bent (and therefore not pointing the same direction as the receiver) than the actual holes being crooked on the receiver.
    I have seen some really crooked savage barrels.
    I guess I got lucky with my Savage 10 fp sr it's the most accurate rifle I own, sub moa even with a budget scope.

    Leave a comment:


  • billt
    replied
    Originally posted by In My Cold Dead Hands
    I thought the same thing but wouldn't the issue show up with the laser dot as well??
    As has been pointed out, those laser bore sighters do not fire the laser down the center of the barrel. They can, and in fact are off a lot from unit to unit. Only use them if you're forced to like on a semi auto or lever action. On a bolt action they are not necessary. They can cause more problems than they solve.

    Leave a comment:


  • In My Cold Dead Hands
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    I bet it was more of a problem with the barrel being bent (and therefore not pointing the same direction as the receiver) than the actual holes being crooked on the receiver.
    I have seen some really crooked savage barrels.
    well, you would think if they're going to charge $2000 and up for a rifle that the damn thing should get tested with live rounds before it leaves the factory. Disappointed to say the least....

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by In My Cold Dead Hands
    I thought the same thing but wouldn't the issue show up with the laser dot as well??

    If the barrel is bent, and the laser is actually emitting straight from the chamber, the laser will not be coming out of the barrel in the center of the bore.

    This is why your eye is more dependable.
    Your eye will look down the center of the bore regardless of bore curvature.

    Leave a comment:


  • UberPatriot
    replied
    Those lasers are only meant to get you on paper, but you don't need them

    First thing I do when I mount a new scope is sight it in at 25 yards, if I hit paper I adjust windage to center my hits on the bullseye,
    then I raise the elevation about 3" over bullseye.
    After that I try shooting out to 100 yards and fine tune it.

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by billt

    I had the same issue with my Savage 10 FP in .308. Actually I had 2 problems with it. First was it did not come with plug screws in the scope base screw holes. So the threads were full of that spray on matte finish coating crap they spray the gun with. I had to take it to a gunsmith and pay him $25.00 to re tap all of the holes out so I could get screws into them.



    Then after that, I found after I mounted the base, scope, and rings, the scope was severely out of line with the bore to the left. Well beyond the windage adjustment of the scope.

    I bet it was more of a problem with the barrel being bent (and therefore not pointing the same direction as the receiver) than the actual holes being crooked on the receiver.
    I have seen some really crooked savage barrels.

    Leave a comment:


  • In My Cold Dead Hands
    replied
    [QUOTE=dozer wright;17510713]
    Originally posted by In My Cold Dead Hands
    i don't think Im explaining this correct or thorough enough. The laser sight that I have fits in the chamber it looks like a .300 win mag bullet but shoots a laser.
    This is the style I SPOKE OF THE one I had in 223 was perfect 308 was so far off it was a joke .Pull your bolt and bore sight the scope . Also your rounds are to lite for the gun . I promise you 100%
    I gotcha Dozer, I'm thinking since the gun is so new I'm going to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and send the fn thing back to savage. A supervisor there has told me 155 grain should shoot fine at 25 yards but would give me elevation issues at longer distances but should not effect windage at that distance...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1