Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Savage 110 BA Problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MongooseV8
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    You are right to doubt it too though.
    It is a Savage after all.
    We are not talking about high precision parts here.
    Originally posted by TMB 1
    I don't doubt Savage, just you.
    Not trying to poke the bear, but I have seen more than one 700 with crooked parts. Crooked enough to be seen with my eyeballs. Savage bashing is not constructive or helpful to the OP.

    Leave a comment:


  • In My Cold Dead Hands
    replied
    ok guys, didn't mean to get anyone into arguments over this. I do love the popcorn eating emoticon though. I'm sending the rifle back to savage.

    Leave a comment:


  • UberPatriot
    replied
    Originally posted by TMB 1
    I don't doubt Savage, just you.

    Leave a comment:


  • TMB 1
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    The fact that I have never come across one does not mean that they do not exist.
    I am sure that there is a crooked base out there somewhere.
    Maybe one will even make it's way into my shop someday.
    I have calipers so I will find it if it happens...

    You are right to doubt it too though.
    It is a Savage after all.
    We are not talking about high precision parts here.
    I don't doubt Savage, just you.

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by TMB 1
    The fact that I have never come across one does not mean that they do not exist.
    I am sure that there is a crooked base out there somewhere.
    Maybe one will even make it's way into my shop someday.
    I have calipers so I will find it if it happens...

    You are right to doubt it too though.
    It is a Savage after all.
    We are not talking about high precision parts here.

    Leave a comment:


  • TMB 1
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    Those laser bore alignment devices are often NOT sending the laser down the middle of the bore.
    You will get better results by simply looking down the bore with your EYE.

    As for the gun needing all the windage to get zeroed, that's just a faulty gun or scope mount base.
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    Good thing that's super easy to check with calipers.
    Just measure from the edge of each hole to the edge of the scope base.
    If the base were drilled crooked, the measurements would show it.

    I work on rifles daily.
    I have never come across a base that was actually drilled crooked.
    When bases are on a receiver crooked, it has always been the holes in the receiver that were at fault.

    Leave a comment:


  • russ69
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    I have never come across a base that was actually drilled crooked. When bases are on a receiver crooked, it has always been the holes in the receiver that were at fault.
    That is kind of a sad statement about the quality control of firearms in general but I think it's 100% accurate.

    Leave a comment:


  • bsumoba
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    I remember that video as well.
    If you recall, they were straightening FINISH CONTOURED barrels.
    That means that the contouring was done while the bore was still curved.
    That sure goes against the "uniform walls" statement in the newer video you posted above.

    In order for a barrel to have uniform walls, the bore needs to be straight WHILE the exterior is being contoured.

    The problem with ANY barrel straightening is that they are just adding stress to the barrel.
    That stress tends to go away as the barrel thermal cycles and relaxes (bends) back to it's original bent condition.
    Yea...when I saw that, I knew I never wanted to buy a savage. Custom guns for me. Can't go back now

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by TMB 1
    Could be the holes in the base are off.
    Good thing that's super easy to check with calipers.
    Just measure from the edge of each hole to the edge of the scope base.
    If the base were drilled crooked, the measurements would show it.

    I work on rifles daily.
    I have never come across a base that was actually drilled crooked.
    When bases are on a receiver crooked, it has always been the holes in the receiver that were at fault.

    Leave a comment:


  • TMB 1
    replied
    Originally posted by killshot44
    If you're sure the base and rings are properly mounted if could be that the base holes are out of line with the bore.
    Could be the holes in the base are off.

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by bsumoba
    I saw a video (not the one below) of one of the floor guys hand straightening a barrel.
    I remember that video as well.
    If you recall, they were straightening FINISH CONTOURED barrels.
    That means that the contouring was done while the bore was still curved.
    That sure goes against the "uniform walls" statement in the newer video you posted above.

    In order for a barrel to have uniform walls, the bore needs to be straight WHILE the exterior is being contoured.

    The problem with ANY barrel straightening is that they are just adding stress to the barrel.
    That stress tends to go away as the barrel thermal cycles and relaxes (bends) back to it's original bent condition.

    Leave a comment:


  • bsumoba
    replied
    I saw a video (not the one below) of one of the floor guys hand straightening a barrel. So, that tells you that the barrels are not straight. I am not sure if they are even really chucking it up on a lathe to see if it is straight or not. Maybe by eye???

    Look at the 44 second mark. They say "inspected and hand straightened"

    Maybe yours just missed this part....?

    Last edited by bsumoba; 01-14-2016, 11:18 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • UberPatriot
    replied
    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    Bent barrels can still be quite accurate as long as your scope will adjust to zero with the bullet impacts.
    Ah!

    Randall, just want to say I have enjoyed reading your advice here and on other forums many times, your contribution to our collective Knowledge is invaluable.
    Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by billt
    It was the holes. I could plainly see it when I put a 18" straight edge against the scope base. The holes were a mile off. I don't see how it made it out of the factory that way.

    That's Savage QC at work...

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by In My Cold Dead Hands
    yeah that makes sense as the width of the laser is not .308 but rather a millimeter or so. Looking down the barrel from the bolt end with my own eyes, I could see nothing that would tell me the barrell was bent...

    You won't be able to see the bend without spinning the barrel.
    If the barrel is removed from the receiver and setup in the lathe, you can turn the lathe on and look down the middle of the spinning bore and it sorta looks like a jump rope shape...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1