Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recommend a .44 mag?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Tom-ADC
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 3614

    Getting ready to buy a Ruger SBK in SS with 5.5 inch barrel.

    US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

    Comment

    • #17
      scotchblade
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2012
      • 795

      Originally posted by spamsucker
      your idea of a range toy is funny. Range toys should not hurt to play with ...
      Loaded down with Trail Boss, you can shoot it all day. If the OP wants to experience it in all it's glory, charge it with W296 and have at it. A cylinder or two will probably be enough. My point is, .44 Special and Magnum is best experienced through reloading.

      Comment

      • #18
        Forkeh
        Junior Member
        • Jan 2014
        • 47

        I did mean Anaconda. My fault, I'd been looking at pictures of Python and it was stuck in my head lol.

        As for my new range toy hurting, well I can fire the caliber just fine, but that's why I'm after a large frame.

        Comment

        • #19
          spamsucker
          Banned
          • Jun 2012
          • 701

          we can all shoot it just fine. We can all induce a flinch for ourselves too. Doing the trail boss or special brass are options and reloading is in fact how to get the .44mag to be super-dee-duper but I don't think people give adequate forethought to owning the big boomers before they do so and they usually end up selling it a few months later when they find out they're not as tough and their nerves not nearly as steeled as they thought they were.

          Comment

          • #20
            ACfixer
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2012
            • 6080

            Originally posted by spamsucker
            your idea of a range toy is funny. Range toys should not hurt to play with but I guess that's just my idiot idea of fun not hurting.
            I don't get this, what hurts?

            Love my 629.
            Buy made in USA whenever possible.

            Comment

            • #21
              Pauliedad
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2012
              • 2095

              As said several times above,
              S&W 629 (they pop up here pretty often and seem to hold their resale $ pretty well)
              There are more Rugers available lately. Hmmm.
              I agree that reloading .44 mag makes it more fun.
              I will spend most of my .44 range time with medium loads and finish off with hotter loads. Mostly to remind me what it's "supposed" to feel like.
              Now that I think of it, most of the people I see shooting .44 are reloaders.

              Comment

              • #22
                Meety Peety
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2008
                • 3216

                I have a 6" Model 29 and I absolutely love it. I shoot it just about every single time I go to the range, and that is pretty frequent. It's one of the most accurate guns I own and I can load mouse fart loads on W231 that recoil as hard as a 22lr but are deadly accurate or I can load up super hot head turners and have some fun at the range (These are plenty accurate too).

                I can reload a box of .44mag with home cast boolits with free lead and low powder charge for under $4 a box. Or I can use Xtremes and a heavy powder charge and still come out to under $10 a box.

                For those of your who think .44mag hurts, that is just your opinion. I have been told so many times that shooting a 1911 for an hour makes your hand sore, 44.mag gives people a flinch and .30-06 is a bruiser. I am confident I could shoot any (or all 3) all day long and be perfectly fine, and I have done so on many occasions. The fact of the matter is simply that some people can handle recoil and some people can't. I have never shot a 44 that hurt me or scared me in any way, despite the countless "warnings" you get when asking about guns online. And like stated above, if you really dislike the recoil, you can always download the 44 to hit as soft as you want for target purposes (Use the right powder though).
                Last edited by Meety Peety; 01-04-2015, 8:31 AM.
                "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

                Comment

                • #23
                  deephouse
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 3858

                  If you are in the Bay Area, Chris @ Digital Instincts has a 6" Taurus for sale.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Spyder
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 17269

                    Redhawk or Super Redhawk are my favorite easy-to-find ones. Dan Wesson is above that, but much tougher to find. I recently sold a brand new 70's era Redhawk with some REALLY nice stag grips...wish I hadn't needed to, and hope to find another someday down the road!

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      BluNorthern
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 10236

                      In terms of strength for generally available models.

                      Ruger Super Redhawk, Ruger Redhawk...strongest.
                      Ruger Super Blackhawk.
                      Any of the Smith and Wessons.

                      I've heard Taurus is a step down from the above, but have no personal experience with the brand.
                      "I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

                      Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Oceanbob
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 12720

                        I kinda like this Smith performance center 7.5 inch model. About $1200 plus tax and DROS. But wow, nice looking.........

                        May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                        Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                        Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          evlblkrfl
                          Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 476

                          My Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter is outstanding. Super accurate,nice trigger and built right. Also easy to scope if thats your thing. Comes with rings.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            ronlglock
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • May 2011
                            • 2670

                            Originally posted by BluNorthern
                            In terms of strength for generally available models.

                            Ruger Super Redhawk, Ruger Redhawk...strongest.
                            Ruger Super Blackhawk.
                            Any of the Smith and Wessons.

                            I've heard Taurus is a step down from the above, but have no personal experience with the brand.
                            Ruger Super Redhawk. I never should have sold mine :-(
                            sigpic

                            NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              BluNorthern
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Mar 2010
                              • 10236

                              Originally posted by ronlglock
                              Ruger Super Redhawk. I never should have sold mine :-(
                              Same with my old model Super Blackhawk. Truth be told though, I carry my pistols and it was too darn big. Should have kept it though.

                              Gotta get me another one with a 4 5/8 or 5 1/2 barrel.
                              "I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

                              Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                TeirHawg
                                Member
                                • Oct 2007
                                • 197

                                S&W 29 or 629.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1