Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Wilson or Nighthawk?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Bastard
    • Jul 2009
    • 2209

    Originally posted by HopetonBrown
    I've owned both a Wilson and a Nighthawk for 5 years. I also own a Les Baer and a Springfield TRP that I've sent back to SACS for custom work. I shoot a lot of defensive pistol classes, as well as occasional IDPA with 1911s.

    The Wilson is better in every regard. Nighthawk has no clue what they're doing. Wilson will bend over backwards to help you. Nighthawk won't send you a call ticket and will "pay you back" by sending you spare magazines to pay for the shipping.

    The Wilson CQB is better than any 1911 in the $3k-4k price range.

    I have heard this many times from many different people & more specifically from people who's opinions I trust... I have heard countless times that the Nighthawk is just lacking in just about ever regard.

    I know that what I am saying is second hand information, but find someone who actually shoots them, knows them and they will more than likely tell you the same... it has been my experience.

    Comment

    • #32
      smak28
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Jan 2013
      • 4120

      Originally posted by trigger945
      Congrats on making a decision OP. Now, which Wilson model are you gonna get?
      This is the next question I need to answer.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #33
        Press Check
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 4879

        Originally posted by Justindo
        I didn't realize he was talking about Springfield's custom guns, as they are very good guns. But to claim I know nothing is a rash statement.
        OP specifically mentioned the Springfield Professional, which was followed by your assertion that Springfield isn't in the same league, so clearly, you don't know much about Springfield Custom pistols, and it was your statement that was rash, not to mention unfounded.

        Not trying to bust your chops, but...

        Comment

        • #34
          Justindo
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 15

          Originally posted by Press Check
          OP specifically mentioned the Springfield Professional, which was followed by your implication that Springfield isn't in the same league, so clearly, you don't know much about Springfield Custom pistols, and it was your statement that was rash, not to mention unfounded.

          Not trying to bust your chops, but...
          No, you are trying. According to their website, Springfield currently makes 16 differently named 1911 models. I don't know them by name off hand.

          Comment

          • #35
            Press Check
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2011
            • 4879

            Originally posted by Justindo
            I don't know them by name off hand.
            I rest my case.

            Comment

            • #36
              NYT
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Apr 2011
              • 3811

              Originally posted by Justindo
              You make a valid point, but people do cross-shop lots of guns in different price-ranges, and Springfield makes a lot of different 1911 models of varying quality.
              i see where the confusion originated. no worries.

              here is a nice article on the professional by springfield armory.

              Last edited by NYT; 06-10-2014, 2:28 PM.

              Comment

              • #37
                82lightfighter
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 519

                You can't go wrong with a Wilson -- they make excellent pistols. I had the "entry level" KZ-45, and I miss that pistol more than any other I've let go, including my SA Pro. Been looking for another one for a while now.
                If I was getting a pistol for hard use, I'd probably go with a Nighthawk, just because I wouldn't get as angry at myself for dinging it up and generally abusing it -- Wilson's have a higher level of fit and finish (better QC), and a correspondingly higher price point... Every time I get a new ding on my Brown (which, in my opinion, is not in the same class as the higher end Wilsons, although I think it's a phenomenal 1911), I still hate myself. I wish I could had some pics of my Brown SF when it was new and now, but kinda glad I don't.
                I voted for Nighthawk just because I love the railed GRP and T3.... which will be mine, oh yes, they will be mine lol.
                Good luck during the wait for whichever one you select!

                Comment

                • #38
                  Justindo
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 15

                  Originally posted by NYT
                  i see where the confusion originated. no worries.

                  here is a nice article on the professional by springfield armory.

                  http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/a...etails?id=3709
                  Nice article. Thanks. I'm not personally familiar with every gun Springfield makes, but I have a good opinion of them given their various price points. I have an EMP 9 and an M1A Scout and both are very accurate and well-made.

                  I've handled a Springfield Custom and it's definitely a huge step up from their off the rack guns. A friend of mine has a Wilson CQB and it's a very nice gun. I slightly prefer my Ed Brown Special Forces, but I don't think one could go wrong with any of these three.
                  Last edited by Justindo; 06-10-2014, 5:50 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    samsigsauer
                    NRA/CRPA Life Member
                    CGN Contributor
                    • May 2009
                    • 938

                    I was in your shoes several months ago....Debating between the two. I ultimately chose Wilson Combat. I had heard story from a FFL about Nighthawk and the lack of concern for their products. I also read through the 1911 forums regarding both. I can find plenty of Nighthawks in stores (Tracy Rifle and Pistol, Alquist Arms, and Wild Bills) , but not Wilson Combat....Quantity vs Quality? Ultimately the choice is yours!!!
                    sigpic
                    California Rifle Pistol Association Life Member

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      trigger945
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 5795

                      Honestly speaking, will anyone here really know which one is better until one has owned both? And if one owns both, I wonder what the likelihood is of keeping both vs keeping just one vs getting rid of both?

                      I say even though the OP has made a choice - Wilson Combat, he is still likely to get a Nighthawk later

                      Or am I just speaking for myself?
                      One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

                      AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Hank15
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 996

                        Neither,

                        have a full house custom built for you by a named gunsmith.

                        Rogers, Rodgers, and Peters to name a few.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          1911whore
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 2997

                          Now that I can honestly say I owned both. Nighthawk makes a nice pistol and would make a lot of sense for the RIGHT price. Current qc is hit and miss right now and customer service simply fixes the problem but communication is seriously lacking and they may do work you dont want done, they may not do work you do want done...depends on their backlog at the time and how badly they want your money. Wilson is simply a better built weapon with a MUCH larger fan base. I can go on and on but in this price p\oint it is the small details that matter so much and wilson pays attention to those, nhc May or may not. Wilson customer service will leave you in awe, they are dialed in and take remarkable care of you.....even if it is just one of their aftermarket parts on a non wilson gun......trust me. Their customer service is why I called and ordered probably the most expensive CQB on the planet right now. ALSO, if you ever have to sell it is a lot harder to sell a nighthawk than a wilson, you will have to list WAY below msrp and probably get lowballed from there to sell your NHC, a wilson is gone almost as fast as it is listed and often time over MSRP or darn close to it.......just my opinion
                          "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            hitteam
                            Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 496

                            Originally posted by 1911whore
                            Now that I can honestly say I owned both. Nighthawk makes a nice pistol and would make a lot of sense for the RIGHT price. Current qc is hit and miss right now and customer service simply fixes the problem but communication is seriously lacking and they may do work you dont want done, they may not do work you do want done...depends on their backlog at the time and how badly they want your money. Wilson is simply a better built weapon with a MUCH larger fan base. I can go on and on but in this price p\oint it is the small details that matter so much and wilson pays attention to those, nhc May or may not. Wilson customer service will leave you in awe, they are dialed in and take remarkable care of you.....even if it is just one of their aftermarket parts on a non wilson gun......trust me. Their customer service is why I called and ordered probably the most expensive CQB on the planet right now. ALSO, if you ever have to sell it is a lot harder to sell a nighthawk than a wilson, you will have to list WAY below msrp and probably get lowballed from there to sell your NHC, a wilson is gone almost as fast as it is listed and often time over MSRP or darn close to it.......just my opinion

                            You were asking $3300on an older GRP model with "enforcer" name on the slide. Do you have any real experience selling a Wilson Combat? By the way, congrats on your FIRST Wilson CQB 9mm. She is a beauty.
                            NRA lifetime member
                            1911's: a few dozen

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              norcalcyclist
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 290

                              As a serious collector and avid shooter, I have my fair share (and then some) of high end 1911's - Wilsons, NHC's, Browns, etc. For me I prefer the Wilsons I have in a full size weapon over the NHC's. Nothing really outstanding about the lack of quality or accuracy of Nighthawks....to me just a nicer platform that has always performed as intended/advertised right out of the box (have 2 NHC's that needed to go back for relaibility issues).

                              I also love my Brown's...the only company I'd skip is Baer - not great luck with their weapons nor CS.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                theneko
                                Senior Member
                                • Feb 2008
                                • 1173

                                I have a few of both and I cant really pick a favorite. The NH T3 is a great gun but so are my Wilsons. I have had excellent customer service from both companies and I have sent a gun back to each company for some customization. So I cant narrow it down for you - get both !
                                TheNeko

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1