Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Time for a high end 1911... Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    cundiff5535
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 806

    So, I have come to terms with selling all of my handguns.... now onto what I am thinking of doing!

    My first buy will be a Wilson CQB Elite with a bunch of changes to it (it has a bunch of the options that I want but, it would be changed quite a bit). 2 year wait time on it according to the guys at WC. Unless I can find someone on here or online with a Wilson Commemorative Classic. That is ultimately what I want but, its very unlikely and I am sure the seller would not be willing to part with it for the price they paid.

    I will also order a SVI 9mm. I have to decide on what frame to go with but, thats just a matter of time really playing with gun builder. I have a good idea of what I want out of the thing.

    Once I get that ordered and payed off, I am going to sell my three High Powers and order a Browning SRT from Heirloom.

    Ill keep my CZ shadow, Baer, and Brown and the rest will go.

    That should cap off my 1911 and handgun fix... not to mention there is nowhere to go from that point... other than get a gun from Chuck or Joe. Which I am sure will happen in the coming years

    Comment

    • #32
      fennecfrank
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 1787

      Felt a flashback when I read the OP.

      A while ago, I acquired a fully customized 1911 by Bar-Sto Senior. The gun was flawless. I was very satisfied with it and had no desire of acquiring another handgun.

      Unfortunately, my younger brother could not live without it. I sold the gun to him and began a quest to look for another 1911.

      After several months of research and trips to gunshops to examine different higher priced 1911's, I decided on an Ed Brown Special Forces.

      It was a solid gun. However, I still felt that I was missing something. After another few months of research, I bought a Guncrafter Industries Model 2 (and sold the Ed Brown right after).

      The Model 2 is a very nice gun. Action is very smooth yet the parts are fitted perfectly and tight.

      If one is looking for a "semi-custom" 1911, s/he should definitely look into Guncrafter Industries. I haven't met any owner who is not satisfied with their Guncrafter's.

      A little history. 2 companies formed after they quitted working at Wilcon Combat.

      One of them is Nighthawk Customs. There was a big fight between Bill Wilson and several gunsmiths years ago. Afterwards, those gunsmiths left and formed Nighthawk Customs.

      The other is Guncrafter Industries. The owner (also co-inventor of .50 GI round), Alex Zimmermann, was the Head of Research and Development at Wilcon Combat for years. He left WC to pursue his dream: building a bigger caliber 1911. He succeeded it by his Model 1, 2, 3, and 4 .

      Alex Zimmermann, not only is he an inventor (he has several patents on 1911's), he's also a shooter. He won National IDPA Stock Revolver Championships 7 times consecutively!!

      I thought I was done. But then Calgunner Cyc Wid It posted several pictures of a fully customized 1911, which reminded me of the one I had.

      After months of looking through thousands of pictures, I decided to send an untouched 1911 to Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision and got the following back after 1 year:



      More pictures and details at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=778912

      The gun is flawless!

      However, during the wait, I read about SVI.

      An SVI is different from other ones. Each SVI pistol is a complete custom build. YOu decided how long the barrel you want (3.5-in, 4.3-in, 5-in, 5.4-in, 6-in), with compenstaor or not, single or double stack, etc.
      You also need to decide on the materials (carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum or titanium). There are also quite a few calibers to choose from.

      If you don't know what you're doing, you might need to spend days to come up with a design.

      Being a graphic designer for several years, designing an SVI was so much fun. By the time I realized it, I got the following:

      9x19mm Single Stack, 3.5-in barrel, with Tiki sights





      Double stack with 3 calibers: 9x19mm, .45 ACP, and .38 Super Comp












      More pictures and details at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=805795


      SVI's are one of the best 1911's you can get. The fit and finish are excellent. However, some might not think they look as classy as a Colt 1911.
      FYI: Average wait for an SVI is approximately 2 years. Average wait for a build from Heirlooom Precision is approximately 1 year.

      Comment

      • #33
        cundiff5535
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2011
        • 806

        How do you think the SVI stuff stacks up against the Wilson, Brown, and Crafter? Whats your thought on frame? Round or square? Looking for thoughts on SVI as I have wanted one forever! After seeing Joes work etc... I am not sure what full boat custom I should go with.

        Hows the trigger work on them? All feedback relative to SVI VS Baer and Brown would be great (thats what I currently have)

        Anyway any help would be great

        Comment

        • #34
          fennecfrank
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 1787

          It's best to compare Wilson Combat, Guncrafter Industries, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk together. SVI is in a league of its own!

          I've never, ever encountered a 1911 as smooth as an SVI! Trigger on SVI?! You can't compare it with any of the 1911's out there. It's the king of 1911's!


          I like round trigger guard on single stacks and square trigger guard on double stacks.

          There are just so many choices. Also, there are some other things not in the gunbuilder. Did I mention that you get to choose the serial number of the gun?

          Comment

          • #35
            cundiff5535
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2011
            • 806

            Nice! I have to look into the SVI a bit more now... whats the average cost on one (I know it can vary a lot)?

            Comment

            • #36
              IPSICK
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • 4259

              Originally posted by jessegpresley
              SVI's are really beautiful, but I just want working guns, and to get a gun that's really gonna work costs about $3k, in my experience. I just need it to last through a 2 day handgun class, or day at the range shooting IDPA or IPSC single stack.
              Not sure if you're saying that because you don't believe SVI's "work" (function and reliable) or you don't consider SVI's "working" (i.e. duty/carry) guns.
              "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

              "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

              Comment

              • #37
                wamphyri13
                CGN Contributor
                • Apr 2008
                • 2759

                I'll answer from my point of view. In other words, if it were me.
                What I'd sell - Kimber Team Match II 9mm
                What you're selling that I'd keep - Kimber Custom pistol that I did a ton of work on. You'll never get back what you spent and it's probably just how you want the gun.
                What I'd buy/do - If it were me, I'd look into SSE'ing a Dan Wesson. Either a DW Heritage or something from the higher end. If it were the Heritage, I'd send it out to Chuck Rogers for personalization. Custom touches here and there that would make it as nice to look at (in MY eyes) as it would be nice to shoot. Or any of the other top pistolsmiths. I've used Chuck before and would be happy with him again. I don't compete or carry either and all my guns are range guns. But why not have something I really like done my way?
                That's what I would do for me.
                Ryan
                The following statement is true.
                The preceding statement was false.

                Comment

                • #38
                  cundiff5535
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 806

                  Originally posted by wamphyri13
                  I'll answer from my point of view. In other words, if it were me.
                  What I'd sell - Kimber Team Match II 9mm
                  What you're selling that I'd keep - Kimber Custom pistol that I did a ton of work on. You'll never get back what you spent and it's probably just how you want the gun.
                  What I'd buy/do - If it were me, I'd look into SSE'ing a Dan Wesson. Either a DW Heritage or something from the higher end. If it were the Heritage, I'd send it out to Chuck Rogers for personalization. Custom touches here and there that would make it as nice to look at (in MY eyes) as it would be nice to shoot. Or any of the other top pistolsmiths. I've used Chuck before and would be happy with him again. I don't compete or carry either and all my guns are range guns. But why not have something I really like done my way?
                  That's what I would do for me.
                  Ryan
                  Given this some thought (just with a different pistol not the DW). Chuck is not taking work and I am sure its going to be a few years before he is again. Not to mention the wait time after he starts accepting work again will be years.... probably looking at 4-6 years to get it back. I'm just not willing to wait that amount of time for it.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    DT556
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 3671

                    Springfield Professional. I can get you a pristine railed or non-railed Nowlin barrel Pro, without a wait. PM if interested.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      bsim
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 892

                      Infinity guns "work". They're not parts catalog guns thrown together & called competition guns. Thinking they're unreliable because they're used as comp guns is just ignorant.

                      FYI - if you are building an SVI, you'll work with the owner Brandon. Because SVI has a roster approved gun, they'll build you an approved gun, then you can rechamber in whatever you like. Kinda like a custom build SSE.

                      I think base is around $4300, but run a build and request a quote. Brandon will note you're in CA, and advise from there. Last I checked it was 18 months with 1/2 $$ at order time. If you pay in full, knock 6 months off the build time.
                      NRA Life Member
                      SAF Life Member
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        IPSICK
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • 4259

                        Originally posted by bsim
                        ..Brandon will note you're in CA,...
                        I made the same mistake as you. OP is in Illinois.
                        "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

                        "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          cundiff5535
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 806

                          Yeah, sorry guys.. I am in IL... Love this forum and we do not have a dedicated IL forum (go figure). I adopted you all as my home forum!

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Sharp Shooter
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2013
                            • 1128

                            Originally posted by fennecfrank
                            It's best to compare Wilson Combat, Guncrafter Industries, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk together. SVI is in a league of its own!
                            Where would you say Dan Wesson fits in with this group?

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              IPSICK
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • 4259

                              Originally posted by Sharp Shooter
                              Where would you say Dan Wesson fits in with this group?
                              I would say the Dan Wesson is almost on par with the Wilsons, Baer, Browns, and Springfield Customs I've handled. For the money they are pretty sweet guns.
                              "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

                              "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Gress
                                Member
                                • Jan 2010
                                • 250

                                My evergoing 1911 hunt was over once I got my SVI single stack in .45 (I also have a conversion to .40). SVI guns go 100K+ rounds and keep going. they are built just to do so. Here is a pic of mine




                                And it shoots


                                Only other 1911 which is not going anywhere is my Guncrafter Model 1. That .50GI round make you smile so much
                                Last edited by Gress; 05-15-2014, 9:26 PM.
                                Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others.
                                (c) Sage of Emporia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1