Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock Plugs, Unnecessary?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Moto
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 854

    One of the best pro shooter in the world recommended that I get one because it makes reloading easier by the fact that it acts like a ramp.

    OP go ahead with it. I only recommend that you file the knub tip so it goes into the channel a bit easier.
    Freedom in the USA is not the freedom from offense. It is actually the freedom to offend.

    Comment

    • #17
      FUBAR
      Senior Member
      • May 2010
      • 2453

      Plugs are for aspiring porn stars.

      Comment

      • #18
        nikki#2
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 2164

        Originally posted by Moto

        One of the best pro shooter in the world recommended that I get one because it makes reloading easier by the fact that it acts like a ramp.
        +1 Bingo!

        Now... Would I buy one if it was < $10 to cover the hole on the G34's slide? No, I'll just go on not liking the hole in the slide.

        But if I dropped the gun running for cover in a gunfight and somehow some dirt, rocks, and crap got in and jammed the gun... I''ll just keep chanting, "Glock Perfection".

        Comment

        • #19
          drifter2be
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2011
          • 2177

          Originally posted by FUBAR
          Plugs are for aspiring porn stars.
          This.

          I bought a used Glock 26 last week, had a Glockmeister plug in it, plug came out at some point during the 100 rounds I shot through it at the range that day.

          The benefit of the plug is that it can act as a kind of mag funnel, making it easier to do a fast reload, not letting you catch on the opening in the back of the grip, the possible negatives are that you build up crap in the backstrap, could also make it harder to pull out a stuck magazine, as you won't have the access from the back to get leverage on the magazine to pull it out.

          I've learned through all the Glocks that I've owned that they are best left stock with night sights. I kind of like the extended slide stop levers, but since I have switched to sling-shotting the slide overhanded on all my guns I have removed those from all of my Glocks, as the lever now leads to the possibility of riding it with my thumb accidentally which would prevent the slide from locking open on an empty mag.
          Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L Mencken
          Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo

          "Moms Demand Action" sounds less like a gun control group and more like the title of a porn flick from the mid-90s.

          Comment

          • #20
            mulyhuntr
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 786

            Do yourself a big favor and throw the plug in the trash!

            Comment

            • #21
              Corbin Dallas
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • May 2006
              • 6350

              Originally posted by Moto
              One of the best pro shooter in the world recommended that I get one because it makes reloading easier by the fact that it acts like a ramp.

              Who might that be?

              I know a number of "master" shooters and none of them use a plug in the backstrap of any Glock pistol.
              NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

              WTB the following - in San Diego
              --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
              --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

              Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

              Comment

              • #22
                neomedic
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • 3276

                I think they are referring to Vickers. He uses one on his personal glock.

                Comment

                • #23
                  44fred
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 2399

                  The plug blocks that opening that I sometimes would get mixed up with the magwell.
                  "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

                  "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

                  "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
                  -- Thomas Jefferson

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Schuetze
                    Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • 164

                    plugs are not only unnecessary, but also detrimental. the opening is there for a reason. you wouldn't stick a plug in your openings, why do it to your gun?

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      SoulStealer
                      AFreePeopleOughtToBeArmed
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 1804

                      Originally posted by neomedic
                      I think they are referring to Vickers. He uses one on his personal glock.
                      Yeah, because he is paid for using one! Come on guys.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SB1964
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 4876

                        Necessary? Nope! I use them.
                        Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Anthracis
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2014
                          • 966

                          ...just because you can doesn't mean you should. The only reason mine is plugged is because I did a grip reduction. If it fits your hand comfortably, leave it alone.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            nikki#2
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 2164

                            Originally posted by Moto

                            One of the best pro shooter in the world recommended that I get one because it makes reloading easier by the fact that it acts like a ramp.
                            Originally posted by Corbin Dallas

                            Who might that be?

                            I know a number of "master" shooters and none of them use a plug in the backstrap of any Glock pistol.

                            This 'master' level uspsa shooter recommended it to me: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-classifer...number=ty56060

                            "New sights. I kept hanging mags up on the back of the mag well, so I put in a plug. I occasionally caused the slide to lock back un-intentionally, so I put in a G17 slide release (non-extended).
                            I had horrible extraction problems, so I put in a stronger extractor spring and a gen-4 (30274) ejector and that cured it. I put in a 15lb recoil spring (wouldn't pass 'the test' w/ 13), and a lighter (4.5 lb?) striker spring.
                            Done."

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Lead Waster
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 16650

                              I believe the "Reason" that Glock put that hole there was ... they didn't want to bother filling it in.

                              Consider this ... the frame is molded plastic. The Grip has two requirements, the magazine well to hold the magazine in place and the outside grip area for your hand to hold.

                              So how do you mold that? Well either the gap between magazine well and backstrap can be filled, or it can be left empty. Filling it costs plastic and money. Leaving it empty means leaving that gap because you can't mold in an empty space (how do you do that? Mold an empty enclosed space?) So, they left it open.

                              So the reason is cheapness and the fact that it's unecessary to fill or plug it.

                              imho...it's a manufacturing side effect.

                              Glock plug is a marketing side effect, but it MIGHT have merit.
                              ==================

                              sigpic


                              Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                              Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                              There. Are. Four. Lights!

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                bsg
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 25954

                                no plugs for my Glocks; personal preference.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1